• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Front Mission series - Who, What & Why you should play it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunan

Front Mission 3 , I think.

Thanks, Zwei. That sounds right, because it came out around the same time as Vagrant Story, and I was about to buy the Japanese original of FM when I learned about the amazing translation that VS had. I bought VS instead, got lost in its awesomeness, and started focusing on other beautifully-translated-into-English games after that. Never really got back to FM.

If I see FM3 cheap, I might just pick it up.

Dwayne

As a complete newbie - which games do you recommend I play, and then if I'm really into it, which ones do I go back to later?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The DS version of Front Mission 1 would be good too, but if you don't like SNES era graphics, then it might not be your cup of tea.

But if graphics were your main concern, you wouldn't be playing SRPGs in the first place.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i own front mission 3 and 4. played 1, 2, and the sidescroller.

i wish 5 was over here in english, i dont want to play it as a rom...

dacuk

Sorry to argue against you, OP, but I do not see FM3 as a "so-so" game.
I think it was actually a great start for the series in the West, and its music is one of my favorite OSTs, so I do not understand your disdain for it.
Besides this, I agree totally with everything else on your post.
I also played Gun Hazard in SuFami, and as you say, it is a fun game.

I am awaiting for the day S-E releases a HD collection, with FM 1-5, 2089, and Gun Hazard.
Evolved is not a FM game, so it is not worthy the effort.

As a complete newbie - which games do you recommend I play, and then if I'm really into it, which ones do I go back to later?
I'd suggest starting with the first game on the DS, since it's very simplistic. Afterwards, probably 3 (haven't played it) and then 4, which I quite liked.

What is that "Modified Hangar File" patch for FM5?

Hey there, I downloaded the file, checked out the readme, and here's what it has to say about it:

- This is a file that contains all base parts at Rank 1. (remodeling will still need to be done)
- At certain times in the game, you can also purchase new remodeled parts. (i.e. Vyzov at Rank 9)
- The file unlocks all available parts, including secret ones. (i.e. a pure Sensor BP or Zenith R2)
- If applied, the file permanently replaces ALL Supply List parts and CANNOT be undone.

I guess it unlocks all of the parts for your wanzers from the very beginning.

Love me some Front Mission, FM3 looks pretty nice emulated:

FM5.jpg

FM4.jpg

FM2.jpg

FM3.jpg

hampig

Would it be safe for me to start with FM5? I only very rarely get in the mood for SRPGS so I feel I'll probably only ever finish one of these games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Not gonna lie, Front Mission 4 was one of my most played games during the PS2 days. I've dedicated countless and countless of hours to that game: replaying and replaying it, unlocking all its secrets, striving to defeat all the challenges, trying different class configurations......

I know that that game was and is still not highly regarded by gamers or "critics", but my God there's something about that game that clicked with me in a very major way.

I really dug FM4 (the character art was amazing) but I found the AI to be dumb as rocks at times. Took me out of the world (if that makes any sense) I also kind of felt it was odd that the "medic" could fix other mechs from range.
There was nothing wrong with the FM4 AI, it's just as good or bad as any console tactics game you'd find. Ranged heals are in FM5 as well.

FM4 was a disappointment for me, cardboard cutout antagonists, repeatative mission set up (4 dodgy little shit mechs with dual machine guns set to link and waste time, some brawler/shotties, some long rangers and artillery, then a (sub)boss if applicable), then you have the wierd almost FFT-esque behaviour of character building and restorative systems; how do I put this, it felt "un-mechy". You could have named a mech "Cleric" or "White Mage" and it would have fit like a glove. Much less emphasis on mech-derived combat aspects like different legs affecting terrain obscruction, blown off parts (spread out damage and rote spam "healing" made this rare), etc.
There's plenty of mission variety and differing objectives. You're remembering wrong. There's plenty of importance on wanzer customization in addition to specializing your pilot. It doesn't work like FFT because 'switching classes' tends to make you weaker, not into an omni-class god. And you don't have a chance to spam heal if you're trying to play efficiently - turtling in a corner is definitely going to cause boredom aggravation, which is entirely the players fault.

I didn't really like FM4 all that much. Gameplay was pretty boring simply because it rewarded a very limited amount of tactics.
No it did not reward a "limited amount of tactics". Look at the variety of efficient tactics in my FM4 guide and tell me all you're doing is the same "boring" limited wanzer setups and combat strategies. Also consider the hidden simulators which most players were not good enough to unlock. I've encountered plenty of players complaining about FM4 that didn't even know they existed. And fyi, I was the first person to unlock them.. they didn't exist in the Japanese version and the official FM4 guide didn't even find them.

No it did not reward a "limited amount of tactics". Look at the variety of efficient tactics in my FM4 guide and tell me all you're doing is the same "boring" limited wanzer setups and combat strategies. Also consider the hidden simulators which most players were not good enough to unlock. I've encountered plenty of players complaining about FM4 that didn't even know they existed.
To be fair, some of the hidden simulator levels had some rather arbitrary unlocking requirements. Even using a guide, getting one of them was seemingly dependent on luck.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Whoa, I didn't know Front Mission 5 existed, and that it's apparently amazing. I'm definitely going to play this, considering I loved Front Mission 3 long ago and that it's apparently average compared with the rest of the series.

Square-Enix's mismanagement of yet another promising franchise makes me hate them even more.

JJD

I had an copy of Front Mission 5 once, but couldn't get it to work properly on a PS2 emulator on my iMac so I sold it...

OP if you're doing a guide about settings for FM5, please try to find some info on settings for the mac version of it too, I couldn't find it at the time. I still know the guy who bought the game and could easily buy it back... :-(

Siked, I just got a response from Jap-Sai, they can get me a copy of Front Mission 5. And for a pretty reasonable price. About $35 before shipping.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Love the first game to bits and really enjoyed my time with Gun Hazard, but for some reason I never bothered tracking the rest of the series. The praise for FM5 makes me want to experience it though.

I have nothing of value to add to this thread other than a simple comment that it's a great appreciation thread. Thank you.

edit: Just watched the first 10mins of the Front Mission 5 and I want to play it right now :(

I popped in Front Mission 2 last night for a couple of missions. I think I may play all the way through it this weekend.

I also grabbed Alternative from PSN. I am not sure how to feel about the game though. The first mission went really slow and didn't really hold me. Maybe it gets interesting after a couple of missions.

But now I just wanna play more FM5. I could replay that game dozens of times I think and still love it. I usually can't do that with any kind of RPG especially strategy ones.

Also is there anything more embarrassing than okaying a Link attack and realizing 2 seconds too late that your damaged teammate is right in the crossfire? lololol

Arukado

I loved FM3 back in the day, it was amazing:
(I completed both routes, unlocked the special wanzer through the terminal, etc)

I played FM4 and FM1 too, but i don't remember if i beat any of them.

Love the first game to bits and really enjoyed my time with Gun Hazard, but for some reason I never bothered tracking the rest of the series. The praise for FM5 makes me want to experience it though.

I have nothing of value to add to this thread other than a simple comment that it's a great appreciation thread. Thank you.

edit: Just watched the first 10mins of the Front Mission 5 and I want to play it right now :(

Man, I hate the serif font they used for the text

Psxphile

Man, I loved FM3 back in the day. It was my first Front Mission, and I was floored by everything about it. Still, the game was incredibly long so replays weren't always easy to get going (what was it... 60-70 missions for each route?). I did get around to beating both routes, quite amazing how easily one finds themselves on opposite sides of the same skirmishes.

I remember getting the mailed out demo of Front Mission 4 (apparently a bit more content than the usual demo found on Playstation Underground jampacks) but something about it rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't find it engaging. Maybe I just needed to play more to get a better feel for it, but I distinctly remember being put off by the LINK system.

I want to get back into the series, but nowadays I can't even finish my immediate backlog. Just not enough hours in the day, I guess.

Atolm

After Evolved I don't want them to mess again with new Front Mission material. HD ports? Fine. New Games? The series is done, and they left with a really Big Bang.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I came into the series back on the PS1, with FM3. I'd never played a game which let you feel the violence and impact of your actions in such a heavy way. Amazing game.

FM4 I also liked a lot, but I was disappointed that they took all of the weight from the gunfire. An up close attack with a machine gun went from BOWBOWBOWBOW to..... like the sound of thrown pebbles. The game wasn't ruined, but it lost that special something.

Front Mission Evolved I enjoyed enough. It was a mediocre 3rd-person shooter, with an l.o.l. story, but the sound design gave me that loving feeling back. So I put the game on Easy and ran around like a demigod with a huge cluster bombing bazooka or one of those assault machine guns. And of course the DLC whore in me couldn't help but to buy every single piece of equipment they sold through Steam. Some of those weapons rocked though.

I literally just bought a non-Ultimate Hit used copy of FM5 from Amazon. I've never emulated a PS2 game, but I'm about to learn it to finally experience this game with the English patch.

MechaX

No it did not reward a "limited amount of tactics". Look at the variety of efficient tactics in my FM4 guide and tell me all you're doing is the same "boring" limited wanzer setups and combat strategies. Also consider the hidden simulators which most players were not good enough to unlock. I've encountered plenty of players complaining about FM4 that didn't even know they existed. And fyi, I was the first person to unlock them.. they didn't exist in the Japanese version and the official FM4 guide didn't even find them.

First off, quoting yourself as your own authority has never worked out in your favor and it doesn't work now.

Second, are we really counting a few of the hidden simulators to suddenly make the entire game seem much more in depth than the other 80% of it? Even assuming that the simulators are far above the rest of the missions, which they are, what is the excuse for the game just not taking the approaches seen in the simulator throughout the game? Almost every game, no matter how easy, will have a couple hidden challenges that are disproportionate from things seen in the main game. It still doesn't change how most of FM4's missions (with maybe the exception of the long match where you fight Wagner, which even then, has some seriously nonsensical link positions for the enemy), is pretty rudimentary throughout.

First off, quoting yourself as your own authority has never worked out in your favor and it doesn't work now.

Second, are we really counting a few of the hidden simulators to suddenly make the entire game seem much more in depth than the other 80% of it?
I linked my guide as factual examples of strategic variety and complexity in FM4. I invite you to find a better source for factual examples of strategic variety and complexity in FM4 instead of waving around a "he linked to his own guide!" red herring as a way to attack or discredit my accomplishments and strategies. I'm sorry if you were offended by it.

Now if you'd read the guide, you'd see that there are several levels besides the hidden simulators that have similarly complex strategies, especially when factoring in the strategies needed to unlock the hidden sims in the first place. Furthermore, the overall complexity and variety of FM4's scenarios tend to be above average, regardless of whether the hidden sims are even more so. Anyway, you'll have to provide more proof than calling FM4's strats "pretty rudimentary". So far, all of the evidence is stacked against you.

2San

Indeed heard a lot about the series, but never played it. Really interested in playing the 2nd(My parents are from Bangladesh), but it seems the patch isn't completely done yet. :( Is the team still active?

Thinking of playing FM3 in the mean time.

MechaX

I linked my guide as factual examples of strategic variety and complexity in FM4. I invite you to find a better source for factual examples of strategic variety and complexity in FM4 instead of waving around a "he linked to his own guide!" red herring as a way to attack or discredit my accomplishments and strategies. I'm sorry if you were offended by it.

Now if you'd read the guide, you'd see that there are several levels besides the hidden simulators that have similarly complex strategies, especially when factoring in the strategies needed to unlock the hidden sims in the first place. Furthermore, the overall complexity and variety of FM4's scenarios tend to be above average, regardless of whether the hidden sims are even more so. Anyway, you'll have to provide more proof than calling FM4's strats "pretty rudimentary". So far, all of the evidence is stacked against you.

Wait, you're trying to impose some kind of factual basis on what people personally experienced about the game? If you found FM4 to be some bastion of strategic complexity, that's your prerogative (and I wouldn't think that people would have to put a "in my opinion" disclaimer behind everything to try to support that assumption). The fact for me, and possibly the people who didn't like FM4 that much, is that they did not share the same experience as you; I really only found the need for strategies beyond "gang-up on units one by one with links, because enemies do not have proper links" (which you have not even attempted to address, at that) on two missions: the elevator mission with Darril and the Venezuelan rebels, and the Durandal's fight against Wagner. And this is even when unlocking most of the hidden simulators. When I say it rewarded "limited amount of tactics," it really did reward the limited, rudimentary tactics I used (not that it only rewards limited tactics, which is a very key difference).

If you found "complex" strategies to be had, that's your business, but I also don't really care; I voiced my own dislike for FM4 based on my experience. I could go back to my posts and edit in "in my opinion" behind every sentence and my main point would still stand; I did not like FM4 that much because of my experience with it. You can continue to post your own FAQ, your website, or whatever to try to impose some kind of "objective criteria" behind all of this, but what it comes down to is that it is your experience against mine. And I really don't care enough to try to minimize your own experience with it. Unless you're really trying to push the asinine assumption that my experience was wrong simply because it doesn't fit into your own experiences on the game, I don't see the point in having this conversation any further.

zaxon

So bizarre seeing 3 listed as underwhelming, and 4 lauded as a return to form o_O

I enjoyed 4, but it always felt like an incomplete game to me. The story in particular seemed like it was missing an entire section towards the end, with the climax feeling very abrupt and a lack of any real development of the villains or their motives. I always assumed there were cuts made due to development reasons, but the op is making me wonder if it wasn't more a case of bad localization/missing context from not playing the first 2 games?

Strategic difficulty, complexity, and variety given a stated goal can be factually measured, then rated against other similar turn based tactical level games. It's not a matter of opinion. This is a very basic concept, but unfortunately confusing opinions with facts is a frequent mistake. Subjective experiences will vary, but only in how easy or difficult it was for a person to formulate an efficient strategy given a stated goal, not that the strategy itself has changed.

"gang-up on units one by one with links" is a gross oversimplification. Ganging up on enemies to maximize your links is a central strategy, but far from the only one. It's a far cry from your common tactics game where every condition is 'defeat all enemies', etc. Enemies rarely have weak link setups, and most of the time you do have to pay at least some attention to them. Is that really the best example you have?

The only thing you've managed to do is reveal you're confused on the difference between opinions and facts, that you have easily dismissed examples, and that you're giving up because "I really don't care enough". And your language is becoming increasingly belligerent even as you become more wrong.

MechaX

So bizarre seeing 3 listed as underwhelming, and 4 lauded as a return to form o_O

I enjoyed 4, but it always felt like an incomplete game to me. The story in particular seemed like it was missing an entire section towards the end, with the climax feeling very abrupt and a lack of any real development of the villains or their motives. I always assumed there were cuts made due to development reasons, but the op is making me wonder if it wasn't more a case of bad localization/missing context from not playing the first 2 games?

Actually, there is a lot of wanzer parts that were in the game's code that didn't actually make it into the final game, so that might have been the case. Story-wise, a lot of the Zaftra conspiracy gets a bit more closure in FM5 more so. It's not the best, but it is better than nothing. And it at least fits with the bigger part of the FM universe when considering Zaftra's failing economy in the universe.

Strategic difficulty, complexity, and variety given a stated goal can be factually measured, then rated against other similar turn based tactical level games. It's not a matter of opinion. This is a very basic concept, but unfortunately confusing opinions with facts is a frequent mistake. Subjective experiences will vary, but only in how easy or difficult it was for a person to formulate an efficient strategy given a stated goal, not that the strategy itself has changed.

"gang-up on units one by one with links" is a gross oversimplification. Ganging up on enemies to maximize your links is a central strategy, but far from the only one. It's a far cry from your common tactics game where every condition is 'defeat all enemies', etc. Enemies rarely have weak link setups, and most of the time you do have to pay at least some attention to them. Is that really the best example you have?

The only thing you've managed to do is reveal you're confused on the difference between opinions and facts, that you have easily dismissed examples, and that you're giving up because "I really don't care enough". And your language is becoming increasingly belligerent even as you become more wrong.

You are missing something quite fundamental here, especially when you absolutely failed to pick up on this line in my last post: "When I say it rewarded "limited amount of tactics," it really did reward the limited, rudimentary tactics I used (not that it only rewards limited tactics, which is a very key difference)." If this singular strategy was enough to carry me through the game, and I found it boring as a result, I'm not going to change my perception of the game based on potentialities that I personally did not experience. You can continue to say "Well you're factually wrong because [x]", but when considering that strategy actually worked, you would only have much of a leg to stand on if I actually tried to insinuate that the game is objectively devoid of strategy (which is also another problem in how you're inferring my thoughts on the game). It's like talking about Resonance of Fate; there are definitely alternate ways of playing the game and it does have its complexities. But I wouldn't be able to fault some one for thinking that the game is boring because "position characters for tri-resonance attack" strategy works quite well too.

Out of your fervor to "defend FM4", you're missing some very key distinctions on why some don't like the game. If someone doesn't like a game, of course that is going to be opinion. If someone found the game boring, of course the same is going to be the case. And your adamant unwillingness to even consider that some one will believe something different than you is actually quite astonishing. You're trying to bring in some semblance of objective criteria and fact to an arena where it doesn't even have much of a useful place (do note, the very first sentence of my post concerning FM4 is that I did not like it), especially since you're going far beyond arguing a notion for debate or disagreement purposes.

mjmeriwhatever ruins yet another thread with his condescending dicksneeze method of arguing

a shame because he brings up good points sometimes

MechaX

mjemirzian, if this discussion is really that serious, just PM me. When considering the lack of exposure FM gets on GAF, let alone the net in general, it would be best if either of us wouldn't shit up this thread any more than we have.

Slermy

This thread made me sad that we never got 5 in the west... thanks.

This thread also made me happy to learn that there is a fan translation patch... thanks!

I went ahead and bought a copy of Gun Hazard too, so I could round out my collection.

MechaX

This is likely a part of the issue. I think FM4 was liked more among JP fans who had been there for 1 and 2, and had seen 3 as fun but slightly simplified from 2. Western fans typically did not think as highly of 4 because 3 was our first English Front Mission game and our first exposure to the series.

The head of the FM5 translation project mentioned that FM4 was just more "FM"-like than FM3 (the structure of having 30 longer missions as opposed to having 70 shorter ones), and a more "anime" plot (mostly concerning the Emma route of FM3, in which the Alisa line was more FM-like according to him). Had we have gotten FM1 or 2 when they first got released, things probably could have been different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom