• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FT: EU and China strengthen climate ties to counter US retreat

Micael

Rail maybe but for long distance freight transport, trucks will never be more efficient than rail or ships.

Rubber is just too high friction and truck tonnage causes too much damage to roads.

Doesn't the fact that water is over 700 times denser than air and longer routes kind of negate that issue? Not to mention I only see non renewable energy source prices going up.

Rail would definitely be far more efficient, but doing it is also going to be a significantly harder sell I suspect.

If someone had written this plot 10 years ago they would have been ridiculed into the ground. I can't tell if this new world is so hard for me to wrap my brain around because of my age, or if reality feels just as shattered for everyone else.

Republicans: standing *literally* alone in denying climate change. Are there any political parties anywhere else in the world that outright deny climate change like the GOP? Even the most vile ultra right wing parties elsewhere still support doing something about it.

The AfD (right-wing party in Germany) denies that climate change is manmade and wants to cancel the Paris Agreement. But thankfully they lose more and more relevance and might not even reach 10% in the coming federal election. Not even the refugee crisis could help them.

UberTag

By the time we've purged Trump it's going to be too late. The US is going to be boxed out.
Given the volatile state of your political system nobody should count on even a Democratic government being able to stop the bleeding. Your little see-saw act of reversing course on your commitments and policies every 4-8 years is a load of bullshit no other country in the world needs to be hassled with. You deserve to be left in the dust while the remaining nations of the world forge ahead with new partnerships and meaningful alliances.

CTLance

Should I start learning Mandarin now or wait a few more years?
How about training your vocal cords in the meantime? There's even some Chinese phrases to be learned.

Repeat after me:
Monty Python said:
The world today seems absolutely crackers,
With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why...
🎶I like Chinese.🎵
🎶I like Chinese.🎵
(etc)
All together now!
Wo ai zhongguo ren.
Uoh aye dshun-gwo ren.

Sunster

Renewables are the future and the future could have been so profitable. But our deal maker says, "lol nope" and fucked us.

It's incredibly amusing, knowing that we are prioritizing the artificial creation of coal jobs over a shift in a direction that will ensure that we get more jobs in the long run.

PBalfredo

What really drives me crazy is that this is an unforced error by US. There is no reason to abdicate our potential to lead the renewable energy market and yet here we are, just giving it away.

FUCK.

fanboi

Banned
The good thing with Trump is that it creates new bedfellows.

Sure China is faaaaaar from a good nation by any means, but opening up is a good approach to make it more democratic. Hopefully the next leader, Republican or Democrat, is a more sane and open minded individual that see the power in collaboration instead of isolation.

eizarus

Banned
It's almost as if Little Donny wants to speed up the process of the US being replaced by China as the top dog of the world. Better start learning Mandarin I guess.

oti

Banned
EU and China with US out of the picture can be a economic and environmental powerhouse

Sure, but China will need to open its markets first. Really open them. Forced joint-ventures and grotesque copyright infringement need to stop.

the_id

America will get isolated and then blow up and trigger a world conflict. Trump is laying down the ground work for it.

That country is so divided might as well split the union

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That moment when you realize the US is younger than the lifespan of individual Chinese dynasties (of which there have been dozens), and America's "pre-eminent" position in the world is a flash in the pan that will decline, like 100s of upstart empires throughout history.

KonradLaw

Win-win for Europe and Asia, really. The chance to upend one of the major pillars of the American economy while letting the US export them a finite resource in the short term.

Just because Trump lives in the 80s doesn't mean the rest of the world is. The American and Saudi Arabia axis is a losing proposition in the long run.
The hilarious thing is that Saudis are actually going to invest 50 billion dollars into renewables. When even Saudis are doing this you would think Trump would get a clue, but nope :D

Carn82

That moment when you realize the US is younger than the lifespan of individual Chinese dynasties (of which there have been dozens), and America's "pre-eminent" position in the world is a flash in the pan that will decline, like 100s of upstart empires throughout history.

all hail the Eurasian Empire!

It felt like not too long ago America was pushing China to join the idea of climate change. Now its other way around. I guess we'll need our cities to be covered in smogs and populations wearing mask before republicans agree to hop back on that wagon.

It felt like not too long ago America was pushing China to join the idea of climate change. Now its other way around. I guess we'll need our cities to be covered in smogs and populations wearing mask before republicans agree to hop back on that wagon.

Are you sure? Because it feels like the republicans voters are a little more stubborn than most.

Carn82

Thing is, most Trump-voters don't live in the cities.

Zips

Hmm - if we really are witnessing the succession of leading global power from the U.S. to China, would this be a time to start investing in China?

America will get isolated and then blow up and trigger a world conflict. Trump is laying down the ground work for it.

That country is so divided might as well split the union

The Supreme Court can save this country later this year when they rule on partisan gerrymandering. If they don't declare it unconstitutional I'm not sure the US will have a future.

Edit: China will be the unquestionable economic leader of the world by the mid-century. The US will not be the leading superpower for much longer.

Tovarisc

Sure, but China will need to open its markets first. Really open them. Forced joint-ventures and grotesque copyright infringement need to stop.

I can see China starting to play ball if US keeps closing up and isolating itself, too good opportunity not to exploit.

EGM1966

China does care.

What's spin going to be on the "it's a Chinese Hoax" angle? Reverse psychology or a China playing 6D chess?

Pyrokai

I asked this in the other thread but no one answered. I apologize if it's a dumb question:

What I really want to know is....if the agreement holds strong without the US, and we elect someone sensible in 2020, can the US re-enter it? I know there was something about how we can't formally withdraw until 2019 and a full removal a year later in 2020, right? Can we just hop back in or is that fantasy? Is what I'm saying even true as far as the dates?

Rubenov

The Supreme Court can save this country later this year when they rule on partisan gerrymandering. If they don't declare it unconstitutional I'm not sure the US will have a future.

Edit: China will be the unquestionable economic leader of the world by the mid-century. The US will not be the leading superpower for much longer.

But if they rule in favor of getting rid of it, would it mean it stays as is? Because that would just help Repubs forever.

But if they rule in favor of getting rid of it, would it mean it stays as is? Because that would just help Repubs forever.

There needs to be a legal standard for what constitutes partisan gerrymandering and the case they are hearing will provide that.

Top Bottom