• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Existentially Massive Battery Breakthroughs

The battery should have been the focus of the thread, the progression speculation following takes away from the battery being a real time development.

Reading the thread I can see OP hasn't taken the messages from The Matrix, The Terminator, iRobot, Cherry 2000, or Wall-E very seriously. The terrible things that made things bad in those stories were never an intended outcome, but an encountered side effect to humanities unbridled progression, a message based on our own history.
And line item, every example you cited ignored fact's to achieve that level of dystopia.

The Matrix - Ignored plainly that an ASI is not stupid. ASI controlling robot's with the number 1 goal of enslaving humanity, in reality - ASI never would, ASI would pony up all it's knowledge, create whatever it needed and be gone long before we even realized it existed in this particular scenario.

The Terminator - Another example that frames ASI as stupid, needy, malevolent and does not have a firm grasp on reality. Eradicate the human species is the easy token sci-fi trope.

In fact, every example you cited relies heavily on the fact that ASI will be jealous, malevolent and violent but why would it be.

I argue we have far too few examples of optimism in Sci-Fi and the Human Condition is geared more towards our own inward fears than actual rationale.

"Plus, purpose and responsibility do much to make mankind happy- with robo wives/husband's, eternal VR, self initiated healthcare- we'd be absolutely miserable"

I think many, many would disagree - self initiated healthcare - curing you of sever disease - this one item would in fact change live's profoundly. Robo Wives and Husbands - Don't know who would go for it, but me personally would find life a lot more interesting were this a reality in stride now. Immersion level VR, that takes care of you - your need to eat, sleep, allows you to travel freely and in fact do so at a level incomprehensible to modern VR standards - I really don't see that making other's miserable. Quiet the contrary.

AI will be in charge of our well being, you forget we are fast approaching an era where it will be considered malfeasance to receive a diagnoses without the aid of AI/ASI. And many Doctor's, scientists and practitioners are petitioning now to ensure it is in fact considered malfeasance to receive a diagnosis without allowing AI to aid the doctor in such practices.

Eventually, you're going to beg for the ASI's diagnosis, not the doctor's own.

You cite this as Dehumanizing, too - I argue that it is far more human to ensure an end to suffering then it is to sit around and appear dismayed by the large amount's of progress we as a society are making in stride. Mental health/illness will clearly remain an issue until these technologies arrive to resolve such hassle. You are inferring technology only proves disastrously stressful for mental health? Which is comical to me.

On one hand we have a technology promising to solve all mental health issues, actually quiet a few technologies promising this on the horizon - on the other - the belief that all of this exponential progress detrimental to the human psyche.

Meanwhile education sucks because they are not taking VR seriously and it is being split between teleconferencing and other archaic methods (coursework online) all of which do not in fact help education.

This isn't technologies fault, it's our faculties schools and teachers who are not fully embracing the latest greatest technologies (namely VR) to ensure superior education standards.

TindalosPup

And line item, every example you cited ignored fact's to achieve that level of dystopia.

The Matrix - Ignored plainly that an ASI is not stupid. ASI controlling robot's with the number 1 goal of enslaving humanity, in reality - ASI never would, ASI would pony up all it's knowledge, create whatever it needed and be gone long before we even realized it existed in this particular scenario.

The Terminator - Another example that frames ASI as stupid, needy, malevolent and does not have a firm grasp on reality. Eradicate the human species is the easy token sci-fi trope.

In fact, every example you cited relies heavily on the fact that ASI will be jealous, malevolent and violent but why would it be.

I argue we have far too few examples of optimism in Sci-Fi and the Human Condition is geared more towards our own inward fears than actual rationale.

"Plus, purpose and responsibility do much to make mankind happy- with robo wives/husband's, eternal VR, self initiated healthcare- we'd be absolutely miserable"

I think many, many would disagree - self initiated healthcare - curing you of sever disease - this one item would in fact change live's profoundly. Robo Wives and Husbands - Don't know who would go for it, but me personally would find life a lot more interesting were this a reality in stride now. Immersion level VR, that takes care of you - your need to eat, sleep, allows you to travel freely and in fact do so at a level incomprehensible to modern VR standards - I really don't see that making other's miserable. Quiet the contrary.

AI will be in charge of our well being, you forget we are fast approaching an era where it will be considered malfeasance to receive a diagnoses without the aid of AI/ASI. And many Doctor's, scientists and practitioners are petitioning now to ensure it is in fact considered malfeasance to receive a diagnosis without allowing AI to aid the doctor in such practices.

Eventually, you're going to beg for the ASI's diagnosis, not the doctor's own.

You cite this as Dehumanizing, too - I argue that it is far more human to ensure an end to suffering then it is to sit around and appear dismayed by the large amount's of progress we as a society are making in stride. Mental health/illness will clearly remain an issue until these technologies arrive to resolve such hassle. You are inferring technology only proves disastrously stressful for mental health? Which is comical to me.

On one hand we have a technology promising to solve all mental health issues, actually quiet a few technologies promising this on the horizon - on the other - the belief that all of this exponential progress detrimental to the human psyche.

Meanwhile education sucks because they are not taking VR seriously and it is being split between teleconferencing and other archaic methods (coursework online) all of which do not in fact help education.

This isn't technologies fault, it's our faculties schools and teachers who are not fully embracing the latest greatest technologies (namely VR) to ensure superior education standards.
You should have let the battery speak for itself, instead of adding all the humdrum you did was my main point (which was entirely lost on you). The rest is just my response to what you said throughout the thread.

I personally wouldn't want to live in the kind of world you're envisioning, I think what your vision is isn't what's best for humanity or the planet. I obviously value different things than you do.

I'm gonna go back to making my homemade focaccia, and let you believe what you wish, as you should for me. I simply shared my opinion on the subject and your subsequent derailing from the meat of the thread you started. You really should have discussed more on just the battery.

You should have let the battery speak for itself, instead of adding all the humdrum you did was my main point (which was entirely lost on you). The rest is just my response to what you said throughout the thread.

I personally wouldn't want to live in the kind of world you're envisioning, I think what your vision is isn't what's best for humanity or the planet. I obviously value different things than you do.

I'm gonna go back to making my homemade focaccia, and let you believe what you wish, as you should for me. I simply shared my opinion on the subject and your subsequent derailing from the meat of the thread you started. You really should have discussed more on just the battery.
Other's here initiate conversation by insisting the future may in fact be far bleaker, and insisting the upcoming tide change will have adverse ramifications - yet it is not ok for me to engage these users by posing the relevant counter arguments?

No, I'll engage in conversation where and when and how I see fit.

It is also worth pointing out again, that in the future It will be considered malpractice to give a diagnosis in the Medical Industry/Clinical Settings without also giving patients access to AI diagnosis. And this AI diagnosis will be detrimental to the patient's well being in the future. Considering this, it obviously seems like AI will have far more governance over human well being than it's human based counterparts or furthermore what you have suggested.

"once ML diagnosticians, such as those based on neural networks, are shown to be superior, existing medical malpractice law will require superior ML-generated medical diagnostics as the standard of care in clinical settings. "

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have a engineer friend (not really, more of an acquaintance I met during my masters) working at a firm where they are trying to do a "paint" on transparent solar panel. It's not very efficient yet but has some interesting potential, or so I'm told.

Dacon

Banned
10 years from now, healthcare that is essentially free because technology has become vastly superior with health governed by AI, free entertainment created by AI on demand for and by the user, free energy, free food, free living, free travel and an interconnectedness unparalleled due to being able to connect to the global brain/global consciousness through neuromorphic technologies - and neural molecular drugs that far exceed and are safe/FDA approved compared to what is available now. I don't see a reason to be worried personally.

I'm sorry, but this is laughably optimistic. I'd be more inclined to believe we've all perished from nuclear war in 10 years than this utopian silliness.

Dacon

Banned
Other's here initiate conversation by insisting the future may in fact be far bleaker, and insisting the upcoming tide change will have adverse ramifications - yet it is not ok for me to engage these users by posing the relevant counter arguments?

No, I'll engage in conversation where and when and how I see fit.

I will however back you 100 percent on this.

This is good news if you like electric vehicles. Battery life is the only thing holding it back.
I myself see this as bad news. I dislike EV's. They're just so futuristic in their design and they have no soul unlike a combustion engine.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is good news if you like electric vehicles. Battery life is the only thing holding it back.
I myself see this as bad news. I dislike EV's. They're just so futuristic in their design and they have no soul unlike a combustion engine.
But I can play DOOM on it.

CZY

I’m not sure we are ready for what this would mean as a society. Imagine how much of the world is structured around energy acquisition and production. Now imagine all of that becomes irrelevant in the next 8 years. It’s a good thing further out, but in the shorter term, you’re talking massive change over a short time. I hope we are ready for it.
bro i mean look around, we're in the middle of a massive paradigm shift as it is. this is just another detail of that. we just need to keep it together for a minute and things will sort themselves out, they always do.

Top Bottom