• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Existentially Massive Battery Breakthroughs

Why even post this thread? To put thing's in perspective, a decade ago - it took 2 and a half weeks to fully charge a battery
intended to power a house utilizing Solar Technology - that battery would then last 4-5 hours.

Today, it take's 2 hours to fully charge a Tesla Battery using Solar intended to power a quarter of your house All Day.

10 Years ago, even 2 years ago when this became fact - many would had said "Not for 20 more years"

But essentially, what this really means - is within 5 to 10 years all energy needs should be met and energy should be freely available - specifically if you follow the trajectory of Molecular Fabrication and Molecular Compute when applied to energy sciences.

First I'll start with this:

A solid State Battery Start-Up backed by Bill Gates and Volkswagon

A battery said to last 80% longer than traditional Lithium Batteries of today with a 10 minute charge time.

NDB - Nano-Diamond Battery: A self-recharging Molecular Battery that utilizes non harmful amount's of Radioactive Decay at the molecular level to produce a Battery that never dies/Last's 28,000 Years

This technology sounds far flung, but considering Computer Science states as fact that batteries such as NDB should be easily quantifiable and achieved within the next 5 years - particularly considering Molecular Fab is in fact
up to the task now - it's really much closer than many may realize.

Toyota's game-changing solid-state battery en route for 2021 debut

Touting this battery last 5X longer with a 10 minute charge time.

And an Energy Centric Article - Offshore Wind Turbine To Power house for 2 days with Single Spin of it's Turbine

Solar Energy Is On The Brink Of A Golden Age In Energy Creation

Solar power is heading into a golden age thanks to an unlikely culmination of forces. A new axis of energy has emerged with the United States, the European Union, and China leading the charge toward a global energy transition to renewable energies and especially solar power. The United States has certainly not been a poster child for green energy in the last few years or, indeed, most of the nation’s history. Under the Trump administration, the country pulled out of the Paris climate accord and dragged its feet to put together a green stimulus package even as the rest of the world started to seriously edge into renewable energy markets, threatening to leave the U.S. behind. Under the new administration, led by incumbent president Joe Biden, the prognosis for U.S. renewables has improved drastically.

The price of solar electricity has dropped 89% in 10 years In 2009, building a new solar farm was 223% more expensive than building a new coal plant. Now, it’s flipped.

Last edited:
That nano-battery would be perfect to one day power contact lenses equiped with nano computers for 24/7 augemented reality.
There are a lot of detractor's that will argue this claim as false, to them I say - all of them - Computer Science State's as fact - expect to see batteries with this efficiency beginning in 2026 with tangible reports of successful testing and strides made as early as 2024.

Also, I could say as a blanket statement - "Solar should be able to power a battery intended to power up to a quarter of a house with only 2 hours of Solar Charge Time" and this statement would be called false by many who don't realize it is an actual reality today.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

They recommend up to 3 batteries for an entire house.

How long does it take to charge a Powerwall with solar?
This is another question that’s hard to quantify. How long it takes to charge a Powerwall with solar really depends on the weather, brightness, shading, outside temperature. In perfect conditions with no loads and 7.6kW of solar power, a Powerwall could charge in 2 hours.

Last edited:
I’m not sure we are ready for what this would mean as a society. Imagine how much of the world is structured around energy acquisition and production. Now imagine all of that becomes irrelevant in the next 8 years. It’s a good thing further out, but in the shorter term, you’re talking massive change over a short time. I hope we are ready for it.

I’m not sure we are ready for what this would mean as a society. Imagine how much of the world is structured around energy acquisition and production. Now imagine all of that becomes irrelevant in the next 8 years. It’s a good thing further out, but in the shorter term, you’re talking massive change over a short time. I hope we are ready for it.
It is essentially only 5 years away in stride.

As a Computer Scientist, I have looked at vast amount's of Data suggesting Free Energy once achieved will completely utterly destabilize Russia, The Middle East, and Venezuela as they are extremely reliant on their internal Energy Infrastructure for economic feasibility. With that said, the turmoil should last no longer than 3 years as industries adapt and embrace free energy.

What it really means, long term is - Robot's powered ad infinite, amazing handheld consoles, and the ability to live essentially free while traveling.

We'll also, thankfully have free mean's for food allocation through 3d printing, lab grown food kits, molecular food fabricators.

The good far exceeds the bad.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I feel like the internet showed us massive change can happen quickly and society can adapt. We've only had real full public internet for 30 years, mainstreat adoptions for 20ish years and its already 1000% reshaped society, our fiscal markets, the biggest companies in the world and every day life.

Society can and will adapt to new normals fast, so will commerical industries.

I feel like the internet showed us massive change can happen quickly and society can adapt. We've only had real full public internet for 30 years, mainstreat adoptions for 20ish years and its already 1000% reshaped society, our fiscal markets, the biggest companies in the world and every day life.

Society can and will adapt to new normals fast, so will commerical industries.
You’re right. I just feel like society is still realizing the impact of the internet. It’s like it’s not even finished yet. And the consequences of things like social media has not been all positive. I’m not even sure Facebook and twitter haven’t been more negative actually.

I’m aware that this is just how things are now. Technology is just going to blow up our way of life again and again. I just caution that sometimes things that seem like obvious “good” changes can turn out to be bad. Social media is kind of a good example of that.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Corporations are too dependant on consumerism to drive those yearly revenue numbers. I don't believe for a second Apple would put such a battery in their phone. They will put more research into how to milk this tech over years with marginal improvements.

Corporations are too dependant on consumerism to drive those yearly revenue numbers. I don't believe for a second Apple would put such a battery in their phone. They will put more research into how to milk this tech over years with marginal improvements.
Apple would love to put such a battery in their phone, particularly if they created the battery and they were first to market with said battery.

With that said, apple will be forced to use such batteries even if they don't manufacture or profit from such technology as if not - a Competitor will for years be the only phone that either never needs to charge - or only takes 5 minutes to charge in full.

PSYGN

Battery life is one of the most important aspects of a mobile device yet we've stagnated. Apple will have to put it in their phone as soon as their competitors do or be left looking really daft and their own fanbase distraught knowing that Android phones can charge in 10 minutes and last insanely long. If the article is to be believed this isn't a generational leap but an revolutionary one.

--

I wonder if this battery tech is backwards compatible with current devices?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The agricultural revolution allowed civilization to not have to devote so many resources to food acquisition. The industrial revolution made the cost of food increasingly smaller as well as introduced electricity on a wider scale. Those revolutions catapulted civilization forward. Imagine what the next revolution will do that allows civilization to not have to devote so many resources to electricity acquisition and makes the cost low and makes it even more widely available and accessible.

food > electricity > ???

What is next, I wonder.

The agricultural revolution allowed civilization to not have to devote so many resources to food acquisition. The industrial revolution made the cost of food increasingly smaller as well as introduced electricity on a wider scale. Those revolutions catapulted civilization forward. Imagine what the next revolution will do that allows civilization to not have to devote so many resources to electricity acquisition and makes the cost low and makes it even more widely available and accessible.

food > electricity > ???

What is next, I wonder.
The molecular compute industrial revolution is set to be 10 trillion times larger than all other revolutions combined.

And that is just one upcoming Industrial Revolution.

Battery life is one of the most important aspects of a mobile device yet we've stagnated. Apple will have to put it in their phone as soon as their competitors do or be left looking really daft and their own fanbase distraught knowing that Android phones can charge in 10 minutes and last insanely long. If the article is to be believed this isn't a generational leap but an evolutionary one.

--

Free Energy is a completely Transformative revolution the likes of which may never be quantified as it means far - far more powerful hand held devices, which will effect and improve the Desktop PC market and compute in general 1000x, free living, an end to poverty and essentially free travel.

Those are just the low hanging fruit examples of what this revolution will actually infer. Robot's living among humans ad infinite, housing built extremely efficiently and cheap/free. 3d Printing Fabrication alone will soar once energy has been removed from the equation. As will all other industries.

And the benefit's will keep compounding and improving ad infinite.

Last edited:

food > electricity > ???

What is next, I wonder.
I mean hopefully we can transition into space exploration and resource acquisition. But I’m skeptical. I think many people will sink further into bad habits like laziness, obesity, drug addiction, hedonism, etc.

I mean hopefully we can transition into space exploration and resource acquisition. But I’m skeptical. I think many people will sink further into bad habits like laziness, obesity, drug addiction, hedonism, etc.
Likely we will have also figured out how to "Jack-In" to the matrix - and waste away there - with technologies such as neural link/molecular nanorobotics able to fully immerse the user fast approaching.

Thankfully, in the case of molecular nanorobotics - the same technology keeping you immersed should also keep you healthy, fed and in great shape.

Self Replicating, Self Propelled Bio-Hybrid Nanorobotics:

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-09-microscopic-biohybrid-robots-propelled-muscles.html

Last edited:
Likely we will have also figured out how to "Jack-In" to the matrix - and waste away there - with technologies such as neural link/molecular nanorobotics able to fully immerse the user fast approaching.

Thankfully, in the case of molecular nanorobotics - the same technology keeping you immersed should also keep you healthy, fed and in great shape.

Self Replicating Bio-Hybrid Nanorobotics:

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-09-microscopic-biohybrid-robots-propelled-muscles.html
I’m not sure whether to be excited or horrified.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
At the dawn of the Industrial Revolution we had less laziness, obesity, drug addiction, and hedonism. Even less at the dawn of the Agricultural Revolution further back. Were we better off for it?

UnNamed

Banned
They basically invented the Sisma Drive

Sisma_Drive.gif

At the dawn of the Industrial Revolution we had less laziness, obesity, drug addiction, and hedonism. Even less at the dawn of the Agricultural Revolution further back. Were we better off for it?
I guess that depends. I wonder if you polled people then on their fulfillment or on their mental health, whether we would be better or worse. I think part of the reason for the declining mental health of human beings is because we are beast of burden to some degree. People derive meaning to life through some amount of struggle and overcoming that struggle.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess that depends. I wonder if you polled people then on their fulfillment or on their mental health, whether we would be better or worse. I think part of the reason for the declining mental health of human beings is because we are beast of burden to some degree. People derive meaning to life through some amount of struggle and overcoming that struggle.
These things aren't mutually exclusive in the sense that you can have both modern comforts and personal fulfillment. However, for the sake of argument, how many modern amenities would you sacrifice for a more challenging world that provides a more meaningful existence through struggle?

MadAnon

Battery life is one of the most important aspects of a mobile device yet we've stagnated. Apple will have to put it in their phone as soon as their competitors do or be left looking really daft and their own fanbase distraught knowing that Android phones can charge in 10 minutes and last insanely long. If the article is to be believed this isn't a generational leap but an evolutionary one.

--

Who has forced Apple to do anything? It's Apple who sets a norm and everyone fallows. The charger debacle being the latest. Nobody will give you a battery which can't break. Improved charge duration? Yes. Much improved durability? Keep dreaming. Non removable batteries were made so people don't bother with replacements and just buy a new phone.

Last edited:
These things aren't mutually exclusive in the sense that you can have both modern comforts and personal fulfillment. However, for the sake of argument, how many modern amenities would you sacrifice for a more challenging world that provides a more meaningful existence through struggle?
Oh I don’t know. I go to the gym regularly to simulate some of what we are talking about. I also have a pretty fulfilling career. Many people seek out things to fulfill them. But many others don’t. My concerns are that as we remove some of the things that fulfill people, we will see more people falling through the cracks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh I don’t know. I go to the gym regularly to simulate some of what we are talking about. I also have a pretty fulfilling career. Many people seek out things to fulfill them. But many others don’t. My concerns are that as we remove some of the things that fulfill people, we will see more people falling through the cracks.
The gym wasn't a thing that existed a long time ago and is a relatively modern invention. Do you think we will keep on creating new things like the gym that could potentially give people fulfillment and keep them from falling through the cracks?

Last edited:
The gym wasn't a thing that existed a long time ago and is a relatively modern invention. Do you think we will keep on creating new things like the gym that could potentially give people fulfillment and falling through the cracks?
Well the gym is largely a response to a number of factors. Primarily that we have more free time and modern life requires less physical activity. It’s also something far too few Americans take advantage of, despite it being available to everyone.

But I hope you’re right. I guess I look around and see rising rates of mental illness and physical deterioration among the US population. I think modern life has a lot to do with both. I just don’t know if people are prepared to cope with an existence like what could be coming in the next 10-15 years. We don’t seem to be coping all that great with the one we have now.

Last edited:
Well the gym is largely a response to a number of factors. Primarily that we have more free time and modern life requires less physical activity. It’s also something far too few Americans take advantage of, despite it being available to everyone.

But I hope you’re right. I guess I look around and see rising rates of mental illness and physical deterioration among the US population. I think modern life has a lot to do with both. I just don’t know if people are prepared to cope with an existence like what could be coming in the next 10-15 years. We don’t seem to be coping all that great with the one we have now.
10 years from now, healthcare that is essentially free because technology has become vastly superior with health governed by AI, free entertainment created by AI on demand for and by the user, free energy, free food, free living, free travel and an interconnectedness unparalleled due to being able to connect to the global brain/global consciousness through neuromorphic technologies - and neural molecular drugs that far exceed and are safe/FDA approved compared to what is available now. I don't see a reason to be worried personally.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Well, in pre-modern times, those who didn't cope well flat out died. Now, they just have a shitty life. Hopefully, the penalty for not coping evolves in turn. Death > shitty life > mediocre life. Even for purely selfish reasons, I would hope that this is the case. People with shitty lives have a higher tendency to turn to crime or violence or make my own life shittier via other means. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it is hard for them to maintain their basic needs. Once those needs are more cheaply met through modern innovations, and once their minimum level of existence is a merely mediocre life, there is less chance for them to negatively influence my own life. And yours.

10 years from now, healthcare that is essentially free because technology has become vastly superior with health governed by AI, free entertainment created by AI on demand for and by the user, free energy, free food, free living, free travel and an interconnectedness unparalleled due to being able to connect to the global brain/global consciousness through neuromorphic technologies - and neural molecular drugs that far exceed and are safe/FDA approved compared to what is available now. I don't see a reason to be worried personally.
So I’m trying to imagine this future. What do you do all day? You have drugs to make you feel good and healthy all the time. You have the ability to simulate reality. Do you just drug up and play pretend all day? Maybe? I guess that could be fucking awesome. I just wonder whether it actually will be.

Well, in pre-modern times, those who didn't cope well flat out died. Now, they just have a shitty life. Hopefully, the penalty for not coping evolves in turn. Death > shitty life > mediocre life. Even for purely selfish reasons, I would hope that this is the case. People with shitty lives have a higher tendency to turn to crime or violence or make my own life shittier via other means. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it is hard for them to maintain their basic needs. Once those needs are more cheaply met through modern innovations, and once their minimum level of existence is a merely mediocre life, there is less chance for them to negatively influence my own life. And yours.
That’s true. I guess by raising the standards, we allowed the perpetuation of “bad” existence when it would’ve resulted in an early death in the past. It will be interesting to see how these things happen.

I should be clear, I’m not saying we stop any of this. I just think we should probably try to prepare for the enormous disruptions these things will cause to life.

So I’m trying to imagine this future. What do you do all day? You have drugs to make you feel good and healthy all the time. You have the ability to simulate reality. Do you just drug up and play pretend all day? Maybe? I guess that could be fucking awesome. I just wonder whether it actually will be.
It will be for those who are not already mentally ill to the point that these technologies wont incur a sort of immediate tide change in their well being.

With that said, those specific individuals are typically well looked after anyways, then there is the problem of whether or not everyone is in fact aware that this is occurring; that it is an acceptable alternative to suffering through another day of harsh factor's they simply should no longer worry their self with.

It will be awesome, extremely awesome - as long as it comes together as projected/intended. There isn't a lot of room left for suffering in a world where energy issues are solved.

It will be for those who are not already mentally ill to the point that these technologies wont incur a sort of immediate tide change in their well being.

With that said, those specific individuals are typically well looked after anyways, then there is the problem of whether or not everyone is in fact aware that this is occurring; that it is an acceptable alternative to suffering through another day of harsh factor's they simply should no longer worry their self with.

It will be awesome, extremely awesome - as long as it comes together as projected/intended. There isn't a lot of room left for suffering in a world where energy issues are solved.
Oh there is always room for suffering. Just in ways we haven’t imagined yet. If you described modern life to someone 200 years ago, they would’ve said the same thing about suffering. And yet suffering in many ways has increased. It takes on different forms, but I don’t think we should live under any illusions that human beings can erase suffering. Everything comes with consequences.

I’m excited to see how it turns out, but I look at these things with cautious optimism.

Tranquil

food > electricity > ???

What is next, I wonder.
giphy.gif

Oh there is always room for suffering. Just in ways we haven’t imagined yet. If you described modern life to someone 200 years ago, they would’ve said the same thing about suffering. And yet suffering in many ways has increased. It takes on different forms, but I don’t think we should live under any illusions that human beings can erase suffering. Everything comes with consequences.

I’m excited to see how it turns out, but I look at these things with cautious optimism.
I think in the future, the concept of suffering will be completely reduced if not irradiated all together. But I say this with a long history as a tranhumanist/singulatarian - someone that believes technology will swoop in and solve far more problem's than it in turn creates.

For instance suffering/pain/unhappiness/depression/mental illness will be switched off in the brain through his neural shunt according to Elon Musks Neural Link - a reality long sought by transhumanist groups for decades. It will also be able to induce pleasure, happiness/cure mental disease and induce well being all through activating neurons in the brain.

So I think suffering is just this archaic remnant of the soon to be past, like it or not - unless of course you get tortured for information or abducted or something.

But even then at that point you could simply have your thoughts analyzed and information extracted against your will.

So in this way suffering will be completely minimized/eliminated.

Then the only worry left is molecular/man made viruses - and even those pale in comparison to ASI and the spectrum of protection it will provide the common man in this scenario.

Aside from violent tragedy/death, even that can be mitigated/eliminated with the right neural cocktail

I think in the future, the concept of suffering will be completely reduced if not irradiated all together. But I say this with a long history as a tranhumanist/singulatarian - someone that believes technology will swoop in and solve far more problem's than it in turn creates.

For instance suffering/pain/unhappiness/depression/mental illness will be switched off in the brain through his neural shunt according to Elon Musks Neural Link - a reality long sought by transhumanist groups for decades. It will also be able to induce pleasure, happiness/cure mental disease and induce well being all through activating neurons in the brain.

So I think suffering is just this archaic remnant of the soon to be past, like it or not - unless of course you get tortured for information or abducted or something.

But even then at that point you could simply have your thoughts analyzed and information extracted against your will.

So in this way suffering will be completely minimized/eliminated.

Then the only worry left is molecular/man made viruses - and even those pale in comparison to ASI and the spectrum of protection it will provide the common man in this scenario.

Aside from violent tragedy/death, even that can be mitigated/eliminated with the right neural cocktail

At that point the human being ceases to exist. When your mind literally becomes a series of switches that can be turned on and off, you are no longer a person. Now I’m not going to say that’s a good thing or a bad thing. But I do wonder what the point of “living” is in that future. Just to experience unending good feelings, I guess?

At that point the human being ceases to exist. When your mind literally becomes a series of switches that can be turned on and off, you are no longer a person. Now I’m not going to say that’s a good thing or a bad thing. But I do wonder what the point of “living” is in that future. Just to experience unending good feelings, I guess?
This is why I'm transhuman/transhumanist - immersion based fun/flying cars and free travel will essentially be the go to for people looking for things to enjoy.

Then Music and Art/Film will all be aided by AI creation and Immersion based technologies. Space travel/Asteroid mining will be available for the futurologist.

And heck, just walking around exploring the world without fatigue and without growing tired as all your pain receptors have been flipped off and nanotech is aiding your energy level's ect could be a pretty good way to pass time.

The way to really look at it is, activities that people enjoy now will only be amplified - and new activities will quickly arise to fill any remaining voids

Also, the future will be far more magical/sci-fi than perhaps any film/work of literature has projected. We still don't see many instances of SCI-FI using molecular nano printers to print food/clothing/utensils/tools on the spot... for instance - outside of a select few films (very few) and Star Trek. But this is not a far fetched scenario in an Era where Molecular Fabrication is projected to be 10 trillion times larger than all other industrial revolutions combined. What that essentially means are 3d printer's juuuuuuuust recently shifted to computer level manufacturing grade tools, eventually they will utilize 5 and 3 nanometer part's for 3d printing and that really wont be too far down the road in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
This is why I'm transhuman/transhumanist - immersion based fun/flying cars and free travel will essentially be the go to for people looking for things to enjoy.

Then Music and Art/Film will all be aided by AI creation and Immersion based technologies. Space travel/Asteroid mining will be available for the futurologist.

And heck, just walking around exploring the world without fatigue and without growing tired as all your pain receptors have been flipped off and nanotech is aiding your energy level's ect could be a pretty good way to pass time.

The way to really look at it is, activities that people enjoy now will only be amplified - and new activities will quickly arise to fill any remaining voids
I guess I wonder what anything means in that world. Why should I do any of that? What about accomplishment? That’s an important part of human experience that seems basically removed.

I don’t know. I could see that being very dystopian. I’ve read about people with Netflix will scroll for twenty minutes looking for something to watch, then end up watching nothing. I feel like at some point, all of life could become that way. Almost like how some drugs are phenomenal the first few times, but eventually your body grows accustomed to the feeling and it is no longer “special”.

I do love talking about this stuff though. I like the optimistic angle, but I also like playing devil’s advocate.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
turning off pain receptors is a bad idea you feel pain if you're doing something detrimental to your physical/mental health and lets u know to chill and relax a bit. u don't want to turn that off

I guess I wonder what anything means in that world. Why should I do any of that? What about accomplishment? That’s an important part of human experience that seems basically removed.

I don’t know. I could see that being very dystopian. I’ve read about people with Netflix will scroll for twenty minutes looking for something to watch, then end up watching nothing. I feel like at some point, all of life could become that way. Almost like how some drugs are phenomenal the first few times, but eventually your body grows accustomed to the feeling and it is no longer “special”.

I do love talking about this stuff though. I like the optimistic angle, but I also like playing devil’s advocate.
I'm the exact opposite, the only thing that has ever bothered me is the possibility of a Robot/AI Apocalypse - but the clencher is Humanity at large is not a self destructive force - despite the Nazi's/Korean Death Camps/Chinese Death Camps/Ect and our seemingly endless disregard for life in those respects - in the grand scheme of things those period's of history are extremely minute compared to the amount of people that want to help each other around the world.

Robot Apocalypse is only possible if Sentient AI is devoid of goodness, and being that the guy's spending billion's of dollars to create AI Sentience are laser focused on ensuring AI is fully capable of goodwill/good intent - I think humanity has much to be excited about.

So with that out of the way, we are heading straight towards an Era where people will have hordes of non-sentient well programmed AI slaves. And I don't see a problem with this either personally. Nor do I see this aspect of consumerism upsetting Sentient Robot's long term.

I've only touched based on the molecular aspect's in tech before this but what this all means is we are soon to become god's in our own skin. I'm not terribly worried about any of the proposed drawbacks. We will have robots you can date that look like actual people, and that relate to people better than you - and they wont even be sentient - they will simply exist as an exceedingly well programmed AI/Non Sentient product - eventually.

So a future with infinite room for fun, with advances aimed at helping humanity realize it's full potential and progression that simply wont stop. And most exciting is the fact that technology will only continue to improve at the exponential. That's a good thing in my mind.

Ballthyrm

Until we have a Giga Factory type building pumping these new batteries out by the GWH, i will continue to ignore all the headlines.

Meanwhile , Tesla remain the lead developer and lead consumer of Batteries and are talking of making Terafactory.
They aren't talking about new technology but improvement over Lithium Ion production.

The technology doesn't matter, all that matters is the price per kwh.
If there is really a new wonderful technology around the corner, great, but doesn't mean shit if you can make them fast & cheap.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
turning off pain receptors is a bad idea you feel pain if you're doing something detrimental to your physical/mental health and lets u know to chill and relax a bit. u don't want to turn that off
did you even read the tweet? it's to give people with chronic illness a better life.

there is a difference between turning pain off when someone is doing something to hurt themselves compared to people who have constant pain and it affects their day to day life.

TindalosPup

The battery should have been the focus of the thread, the progression speculation following takes away from the battery being a real time development.

Reading the thread I can see OP hasn't taken the messages from The Matrix, The Terminator, iRobot, Cherry 2000, or Wall-E very seriously. The terrible things that made things bad in those stories were never an intended outcome, but an encountered side effect to humanities unbridled progression, a message based on our own history.

The agricultural revolution lead to deforestation and land degradation, as well as the dependency of multiple animals on humans to survive because of selective breeding (in dumb terms: chickens and cows can't live without us now because we optimized them for our survival, not theirs). The industrial revolution lead to pollution, expanding metropolitan coverage, and climate change (something we still aren't addressing properly). We're still in the process of learning the detriments the technological revolution were currently in is bringing (much of which appears to be detriments to mental health and knowledge/education).

To believe these fast progressions wouldn't have the potential to be disastrous for our species is a touch too optimistic for my liking- especially since much of what OP has discussed sounds exactly like dehumanizing the global population en masses and opening them up to a great deal of vulnerability for the sake of "comfort". You cannot put artificial intelligence in charge of our wellbeing or minds, it's just too risky, and it would only take a bit of fiddling for the bad few to take over the good many (those people will always exist).

Plus, purpose and responsibility do much to make mankind happy- with robo wives/husband's, eternal VR, self initiated healthcare- we'd be absolutely miserable and not know why we are because we'd already have what we think is everything we need. We'll really find out how empty instant gratification makes you feel, we've only had a taste of it with the internet.

Work is as much a part of the human condition as sadness, anger, love, or hate is. That's why those who aren't working or pursuing goals are more often than not incredibly miserable. Plus, I'm a huge subscriber to evolution, I'd prefer to see the lazy, the ignorant, and the weak fail for the betterment of our species, not coddled into keeping the characteristics that would make them fail in the first place.

But that's just IMHO

did you even read the tweet? it's to give people with chronic illness a better life.

there is a difference between turning pain off when someone is doing something to hurt themselves compared to people who have constant pain and it affects their day to day life.
There really isn’t a difference to your body. I guess if we can somehow differentiate between the chronic pain and acute pain. I don’t know if that is even possible. But there have been people who couldn’t feel pain before. It was not a good thing.

Top Bottom