• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Seeks to Block Microsoft Corp’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard

ZehDon

So, the FTC is plowing ahead with their ideological opposition under their young leadership. I look forward to watching their case fall apart in court, where they’ll learn that just because you don’t like something, doesn’t make it illegal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

The answer for that is in the very same document itself.

Exclusivity would be profitable only if it led to an increase in the number of users and console sales.

I think TES VI, Starfield (and Redfall to a lesser extent) will very easily meet this criteria.

QD0vUaL.png

if all it takes is a new IP to meet that criteria, then it wasn't an “implausible” condition like Microsoft said it was

Last edited:

Beechos

Crap i rather them buy activison which mainly casuals care about than a bunch of smaller pub/devs that fanboys hold dear to their hearts over here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
if all it takes is a new IP to meet that criteria, then it wasn't an “implausible” condition like Microsoft said it was

I won't comment on that, but, again, the verbiage used in that document is extremely different from anything regarding Activision so far.

I wouldn't use that as a reference point for discussing anything relating to acti-bliz at all. But that's just me.

//DEVIL//

Nvidia was actually buying the industry, Microsoft isn't.

If there's grounds to stop this it would be based entirely on how many consoles sales from competiors are impacted. Sony can end the deal right now by publically listing the numbers they showed under the table, about how much they depend on COD for revenue, bleeding to other game sales on their platform, and how many consoles moved because of COD that would be lost.

If they do it publicly, than people can put that data into context for the regulators who may not (and likely not) understand the industry in depth. The fact Sony won't do this and instead did it under the table is confusing because they don't lose anything. They lose nothing.
I do not like to argue about this as I do not have the knowledge or depth enough to talk about it. but MS buying probably one if not the biggest US 3rd party company in the world for what is worth more than Sony corp as a whole (or close to) IS buying the industry.

This move reminds me of the fight between Blu-ray and HD DVD, once the deal is closed and MS won, it's essentially dead for Sony which relies on the yearly fall release of Call of Duty to cover one of their main holiday blockbuster games.

Again I am not in favor of Sony or MS. if anything, Sony buying Bungie kinda took me off guard and pissed me off more than MS buying COD.

But some devs should remain independent like Bungie / Respawn / Infinity wards. Sadly this is not coming to be the case.

Its going to go through, because FTC isnt actually suing them to block it, but to get concession.

I hoped it will die, but so far, MS is using the market to their advantage. Which indicates a pass.

I dont like big corporation purchase, but this will get pretty ugly for us gamers.
I do not think there is a difference here. They are blocking it first without suing. if MS doesn't agree ( which they are not ), it will go to court. That is what I understood anyway.

Last edited:
I think most that were "cheerleading" this were doing so because:

• They want more AAA games added to their Game Pass subscription because it saves them a ton of money over having to buy $70 MSRP games
  • They're a Nintendo-first player and were excited to see Call of Duty games coming to their platform of choice
  • They don't want to see Activision Blizzard acquired by the likes of Tencent or Amazon
  • They want more competition in an industry where Sony can raise prices on games, raise prices on consoles, raise prices on accessories, charge for enhancements for PS4 titles on PS5, etc.. etc.. with no penalty or loss of sales
  • They want shitheel CEOs like Bobby Kotick out of the industry

There are plenty of people that perfectly reasonably see this acquisition as truly good for the industry and good for their own self interests. It's not just console warring.
Summed it up nicely

Swift_Star

Banned
So, the FTC is plowing ahead with their ideological opposition under their young leadership. I look forward to watching their case fall apart in court, where they’ll learn that just because you don’t like something, doesn’t make it illegal.
Source?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They already made comments when all this drama started, chest pounding that they weren't going to stop at Zeni and ABK. People cringe as fuck called them "gangsta."

Xbox is cringe as fuck in their Pr on social. They are the only gaming related company that constantly needs to ensure that they also exist. They are also the one that constantly try to convince their fanbase with whatever weird tweet or chest pounding words.

Just a weird ass cult

bloomfield hills wtf GIF

Just be creative MS. Invest in new studios like Sony is doing. Help finance them and build relationships with them. But yes, that's something you're not strong at. Just buy up big pubs with multiple big old franchises and put them behind your own eco system aka Exclusive.

Last edited:
Call of Duty regularly tops sales charts and has sold almost 10 billion dollars in total revenue.

And is one of the many big hit games (excluding exclusives) it's not comparable to Nvidia buying what OTHER COMPETITORS US IN THE INDUSTRY TO EVEN HAVE A BUSINESS at all.

Also mixing up Activisions market cap with the gaming industries annual gaming revenue is weird, and that's not how business works at all.

I do not like to argue about this as I do not have the knowledge or depth enough to talk about it. but MS buying probably one if not the biggest US 3rd party company in the world for what is worth more than Sony corp as a whole (or close to) IS buying the industry.

No it's not, Nvidia buying ARM was actually buying the industry or right next to actually doing it no hyperbole.
Microsoft buying Acivision isn't even a 5th of the way close.

I'm not saying MS should by Activision, but it's not buying the industry if they do. Gaming isn't going to fall to pieces outside of Microsoft because they (may) buy Activison.

Last edited:

NickFire

Imagine a scenario where the deal closes before trial ends, and then the trial results in MS having to divest itself from Activision. What do you think happens to the value of those shares if MS was forced to sell by court order, which I believe MS is over-paying for already? Will the drop in value be more or less than the termination fee?

The deal may still close. But I'd be really shocked if MS closes with that kind of risk over their head.

sendit

Not at all. I’ve seen how this works enough with other deals, far more important than this one.
Right.....and i'm the Queen of England. Point in case, a deal worth less than the Activision-Blizzard merge.

Nvidia announces arm merge:

FTC sues to block merge:

Nvidia cancels arm merge:

Last edited:

BoxFresh123

So, what's the average time to study for a law degree around the world?

I have seen an incredible rise in legal experts/expertise on social media recently surrounding this. It really is encouraging to see so many people take up the law.

NEbeast

Pay very close to the politics of this going forward. The FTC has just entered into a big fight with Microsoft and one of the United States' most powerful Labor Unions with a very pro union President and Administration.

If the FTC hoped Microsoft would blink.. that has not happened. This isn't Nvidia they're dealing with. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The FTC's job is to protect consumers, not competitors. The FTC better pray they at least get a judge that will have a temperament for this silly case, or else it could be over for the FTC a lot quicker than people think.

How tf does it benefit consumers who only own a playstation? It makes zero sense as they are consumers of Activision games- they won't be after the merger. MS lied about the Bethesda deal too.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And is one of the many big hit games (excluding exclusives) it's not comparable to Nvidia buying what OTHER COMPETITORS US IN THE INDUSTRY TO EVEN HAVE A BUSINESS at all.

Also mixing up Activisions market cap with the gaming industries annual gaming revenue is weird, and that's not how business works at all.
Activision is the largest videogame publisher not only in the US, but in the word. ZeniMax was also one of the largest publishers in the US and world. This was bound to happen on those merits alone.

Last edited:
Activision is the largest publisher not only in the US, but in the word. ZeniMax was also one of the largest publishers. This was bound to happen on those merits alone.

Oooook, none of that has to do with the wrongful claim that MS buying Activision is buying the gaming industry comparable to Nividia buying ARM, when many competitors or market participants needed ARM to even be in business.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oooook, none of that has to do with the wrongful claim that MS buying Activision is buying the gaming industry comparable to Nividia buying ARM, when many competitors or market participants needed ARM to even be in business.
It has plenty to do with it. Since they made these comments a short bit ago too...

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Right.....and i'm the Queen of England. Point in case, a deal worth less than the Activision-Blizzard merge.

FTC sues to block merge:

Again, both Activision Blizzard and Microsoft have already responded that they're fighting this in court. So this isn't relatable to the nVidia/ARM merger.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

FTC sues to block merge:

This one however I am still salty about:
LGIqcV6.png

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are people here who actually think this guy is a genius.....

How stupid do you have to be to make a statement like that while waiting for approval on a $70 billion deal???

I mean, just shut up!!!
Hubris when allowed to operate unfettered.

Top Bottom