• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Tells 9th Circ. That Microsoft Gets Standards All Wrong

The FTC keeps fighting:

Microsoft's defense of its since-closed purchase of Activision is couched in the wrong legal standards, the Federal Trade Commission told the Ninth Circuit, arguing the district judge who rejected its initial challenge should have preserved the status quo for the FTC's in-house proceedings.

December 6th, next stop.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Meme Think GIF

SABRE220

Let it go lina, your own damn country's government and legal bodies are lobbying for Microsoft instead of actually respecting their own damn regulatory body. Its a farce really megacorps are pretty much unchecked now, hell they had Britains government sweating and made them pressure the cma into submission. Ftc was sadly only meant to be a pointless showcase with no real bite as designed by the establishment and only Lina doesn't understand this.

I honestly wish things were different but at this point, she should just let it go its going to only make them look desperate and more impotent after they lose for whats it now their 4th successive loss?..even if they are in the right.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The FTC changed the status quo for its in-house proceedings under Lina Khan, so if they wanted things to be the way they were they should have left things the way they were. Whether acquisitions and mergers are blocked has been the domain of federal courts and the FTC is trying to grab that power for themselves. They're gonna have a tough time getting a federal judge to side with them on this.

StueyDuck

I respect that they wanna keep fighting the good fight and not just roll over.

But it's pretty clear MS have all the money to just do what they want, the legal system will always bend for them, best to just get ready for the MS consolidated future now and enjoy what's left

FingerBang

Honestly, without ABK daddy MS would probably shut down xbox anyway : let them have it. It cleary isn't changing anything, xbox is a dying brand and the numbers show it.
I don't think the brand is dying, but looking at the numbers and what's in general going on at Activision Blizzard... yeah, let them have it.
If they're able to do something good for it, great

Gojiira

FTC, heart is in the right place, just when MS tries to strongarm and continue monopolising NEXT TIME, make better and stronger arguments…

Unknown?

Silly me... but now I can't help but wonder, are they fighting the good fight for all gamers out there or just the ones that don't have an xbox?
All. Microsoft's mismanagement will ruin what little good we got out of Activision and I mean that's already VERY little.

Let it go lina, your own damn country's government and legal bodies are lobbying for Microsoft instead of actually respecting their own damn regulatory body. Its a farce really megacorps are pretty much unchecked now, hell they had Britains government sweating and made them pressure the cma into submission. Ftc was sadly only meant to be a pointless showcase with no real bite as designed by the establishment and only Lina doesn't understand this.

I honestly wish things were different but at this point, she should just let it go its going to only make them look desperate and more impotent after they lose for whats it now their 4th successive loss?..even if they are in the right.
I think the FTC is still fighting because of the vast implications the case has that will go far outside of gaming. It's important to understand that it was ruled that a platform holder can just gobble up third parties to block said third parties' content from their rivals, and there is nothing anti-competitive nor anti-consumer about it. This case will likely have unintended and far reaching consequences into other industries, particularly in the realm of online and mobile technology, such as Apple and Alphabet buying up publishers of apps to prevent said apps from being available outside of their own ecosystems.

The Microsoft buyout of ABK is good for absolutely no one who isn't inside either Microsoft or ABK. And it would be just as dangerous if it were Sony or Nintendo that were doing this. It is a precedent that should have been stopped in its tracks, but as always, money talks.

Top Bottom