• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Titor I called it...Ricky Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRed

Banned
Looks like I called it right after all. Ricky retired because he failed the drug test for a 3rd time, not because he was tired of the game and all that other BS. John Titor can eat a pie!!!!!! Oh and for the record this test crap sucks. It's not like he was busted using inhancing drugs like 'roids. Mary jane if anything retards your preformance as it makes you lazy. It's not like a guy on pot is going to become super human and kill everyone on the field. This type of treatment should be reserved for other drugs that are known to be a detriment to others.

Ricky says he failed third drug test before quitting
Associated Press
Posted: 2 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP) - Retired Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he failed a third drug test for marijuana use, which would cost him a four-game suspension if he decides to return to the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site Thursday.

Williams told the newspaper that marijuana played a larger role in his retirement than he indicated when he walked away after just five pro seasons. He said he learned of the failed test and possible suspension days before telling coach Dave Wannstedt last week that he was through playing.
Williams said, however, that there were "a hundred reasons" for his surprising decision to retire, and his desire to continue smoking marijuana was only one of them.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he told the Herald. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football."

Williams said he's not addicted to marijuana.

Coach Dave Wannstedt said the Dolphins have received no notification from the NFL regarding a third failed drug test, and Williams' latest revelation caught them by surprise.

"We knew nothing about it," Wannstedt said. "I'm totally surprised and shocked again."

Wannstedt said he's eager to move beyond the Williams situation and open training camp Saturday.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined comment when reached by The Associated Press.

In May, three South Florida newspapers quoted unidentified sources saying Williams tested positive for marijuana and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the substance-abuse policy for the second time since joining the Dolphins in 2002.

He told the Herald for Thursday's story that he already decided to quit football before that second positive test. He appealed that fine, but received word last week that his appeal had been denied, the Herald reported.

While the appeal was pending, Williams said, he continued smoking marijuana during a trip to Europe and failed a third test upon his return.

He said he had been using a masking agent to cleanse his system while being randomly tested for two seasons but he didn't do that before the last test.

Williams first failed a drug test soon after arriving in Miami in 2002, the Herald reported. He spent much of his two seasons with the Dolphins in the league's drug program, seeing a therapist weekly and taking eight to 10 random urine tests a month, the story said.

Williams suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for the anti-depressant Paxil. He said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using Paxil because it didn't agree with his diet.

The former Heisman Trophy winner played three seasons for New Orleans and considered retirement while with the Saints, coach Jim Haslett said.

"In 2001, Ricky came in my office and told me he was going to retire and play baseball," Haslett said. "I don't know if we talked him out of it. We told him he wasn't a very good baseball player - maybe that did it."

Williams didn't blossom until he was dealt to the Dolphins in 2002 for two first-round draft picks.

At times, Miami's biggest trade since 1970 looked like a steal. Williams led the NFL in 2002 with 1,853 yards rushing and broke nine team records. Last season he ran for 1,372 yards despite little offensive support.

lexy

MIAMI (AP) - Retired Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he failed a third drug test for marijuana use, which would cost him a four-game suspension if he decides to return to the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site Thursday.

I thought everyone already knew this? I am sure I heard this on ESPN News long before Williams announced his retirement.

DO american sports actually ban anyone for taking drugs? Hell Rio Ferdinand merely missed a drugs test and got banned for 9months. Although i do think u shudn't get banned for smoking pot, since in no way does it make you perform better :p

SyNapSe

He got the 4 game suspension + 650k fine for the 2nd charge of drug use.. which he had just lost the appeal on when he got nailed with another one apparently.

It doesn't matter, he said he was using Marijuana for the whole 2 years he was with the dolphins.. he was just using a masking agent + water. He said he just quit using the masking agent (presumably because he didn't want to play anymore)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
He didn't get the suspension for the second failure, just the fine. That, he appealed. The third failed test would have resulted in the suspension. 1st is a warning/enter into the drug program, second is a fine, third is a suspension.

I think this just adds to the case that marijuana is a pretty damn harmless drug. If a professional athelete can use it and still set season records in his league, then I don't see the big deal.

DJ_Tet

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
DO american sports actually ban anyone for taking drugs? Hell Rio Ferdinand merely missed a drugs test and got banned for 9months. Although i do think u shudn't get banned for smoking pot, since in no way does it make you perform better :p

There were/are a handful of banned athletes in the NBA. The NBA had a huge cocaine problem in the 70's and 80's. Dallas had an All-Star named Roy Tarpley who was banned in his prime because he couldn't stop snorting and drinking. There was another player for the Nets who played at NC State (his name escapes me) who was banned after playing for less than a year. Both these guys were banned for life. Tarpley actually appealed and made a comeback well past his prime, but failed another drug test and was banned again.

i dont think he neccesarily retired because he was afraid of failing a drug test or getting suspended, but rather he probably just said "Im fucking rich already, why do i need to put up with all this bullshit?". It probably just factored into his decision, and made it easier to walk away. I don't blame him either. Fucking NFL's foundation (much moreso than other pro sports) on beer and alcohol in general, hell John Elway and Joe Montana even do commercials for Coors and shit, yet a guy can't smoke a little weed every now and then?

ShadowRed

Banned
"Originally Posted by ShadowRed:
Williams said he's not addicted to marijuana.

:lol :lol"

What's so funny? I'm sure he can stop anytime he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom