• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Final Fantasy XI press conference ended [OP updated with details]

Exactly.

Using the a newer expansion as a power leveling platform is pretty lame. I would rather see a huge structural edit that, while preserving player freedom, still guides them on a logical path towards learning the game, experimenting with mechanics and moves them along at a more evenly curved path

Dropping new players in, handing them a bunch of shortcuts and shoving them into FoV to max out their character makes them miss out on so much
One of the greatest things about FFXI was its "Well, here you are, now fuck off and figure it out" structure

AlucardGV

Banned
I'm thinking F2P transition.
As a long-time vet of FFXI, an EOL announcement would be painful.
Alas, it would be inevitable. I wouldn't have imagined a world started in 2002 would still be going in 2015. May marks its 13th anniversary.

i might jump back
i didn't play it much but if goes free why not

One of the greatest things about FFXI was its "Well, here you are, now fuck off and figure it out" structure

Yeah but back when i started there was a logic to how a player branched out, progressed and explored.

Now its all sounds like they put a bunch of shutes and ladders everywhere to just rush players to the end so that they can play with others

I quite enjoyed my adventures where I moved at my own pace and took in the scenery

Einhander

I would love an HD remake. I didn't get far when I played it so many years ago. I want to enjoy the entire story this time around.

Yeah but back when i started there was a logic to how a player branched out, progressed and explored.

Now its all sounds like they put a bunch of shutes and ladders everywhere to just rush players to the end so that they can play with others

I quite enjoyed my adventures where I moved at my own pace and took in the scenery

Yeah, end game content was never really the goal or reason I played FFXI. It was the journey of leveling up and exploring new areas, and it took me forever! I played that game for so many years, and never even had a maxed level character for a while. I still loved my time with it though, each party was a new experience, and it was fun socializing with new groups of people along the way.

duckroll

Guys, they're not going to have this event just to announce the servers are shutting down. That would be a depressing event, lol.

I'd guess an HD remake for PC, PS4 and Xbox One, a Vita port, or a single player version.

If it's a EOL annnouncement, it wouldn't just be an announcement of the servers shutting down. It would be an announcement of a termination date (probably a year from now) and a roadmap leading towards that date, giving existing players enough of a heads up to enjoy the content in the remaining period. There'll probably be rewards for long time players, major events leading to the end of the service giving everyone a chance to get as much exp and gil as possible, etc.

This is a press conference about what comes next for FFXI, so termination is definitely a possibility. Obviously not the only possibility, but just because it's not the best news doesn't mean they wouldn't announce it this way. For a MMO which has been running for 13 years, deciding to end it would be a major newsworthy event.

If it's a EOL annnouncement, it wouldn't just be an announcement of the servers shutting down. It would be an announcement of a termination date (probably a year from now) and a roadmap leading towards that date, giving existing players enough of a heads up to enjoy the content in the remaining period. There'll probably be rewards for long time players, major events leading to the end of the service giving everyone a chance to get as much exp and gil as possible, etc.

This is a press conference about what comes next for FFXI, so termination is definitely a possibility. Obviously not the only possibility, but just because it's not the best news doesn't mean they wouldn't announce it this way. For a MMO which has been running for 13 years, deciding to end it would be a major newsworthy event.

I just can't handle thinking about FFXI shutting down :( sure I haven't played it in a while, but man...it was part of my life for so long.

even 1 year until termination wouldnt make much sense. They have had an extensive 1 month patch cycle lately thats added new events constantly including a new one releasing this month. I find it hard to believe that termination is imminent

Pachimari

Does it take a long time to complete? Cause it's hard playing both XI and XIV and I don't wanna miss out on all the activities of XIV.

However awesome a PS4 and/or Vita thing would be I have no idea how that would work. Vita especially. FFXI is heavily rooted in needing to use command line styles of prompts and having communicate with others. This has grown a lot over the years since original release, too. It's not terribly hard to figure out or anything. It just is what it is.

Finally dropping PS2 support would be good. The game is still designed around a 56k internet connection and a 32MB RAM pool. Inventories are sooooo big now (talking 500+ items available on fairly short notice + a ton of other storage) that it all takes about 30 seconds to load after entering a zone. Dropping PS2 standards would make these types of very real and very annoying problems fixable.

Ending the service would be shocking. There's new development and content added almost monthly and a game about to end doesn't get that sort of support. Also no reason to end a service with incredibly low upkeep that rakes in easy money continuously.
Does it take a long time to complete? Cause it's hard playing both XI and XIV and I don't wanna miss out on all the activities of XIV.
There is no completion. Ever. This is not an exaggeration. There's too much stuff to do. Tons of people that have played a decade+ can't say they've "completed" everything.
Edit: This isn't mean to sound discouraging, but the amount of content in total is mind-blowing after this long. 8 full-length storylines + 3 mini-stories + hundreds of quests + quest lines for each of 20+ jobs and you get the idea.

studyguy

I don't play XI any longer, but the only thing I can imagine is a F2P transition.
If it's an EoL announcement then holy shit.

I'd resub just to see the end on my character on Valefor assuming they didn't clear it.

Kyoufu

The worst part of it would be the lack of a real successor

XIV does not carry the spirit of XI in any sense of the word

XI has changed so much since its inception, namely after Abyssea was launched that I don't think even it carries the spirit of XI anymore, really.

I really miss the Zilaart/ToAU days.

They just have to give everyone a kraken club lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWb5v-mZnY

lol i laughed when i first saw something like this

XI has changed so much since its inception, namely after Abyssea was launched that I don't think even it carries the spirit of XI anymore, really.

yeah, that's mainly why i stopped playing...it just had changed so much that it didn't play like I was used to anymore.

Z3M0G

It would be pretty god-damn mindblowing to see a re-balanced single player version released. That would be so incredible.

All those days spent playing my Beastmaster, alone in the wilds, conquering a list of Notorious Monsters I swore could be solo'ed, and the days of attempting to do Besieged without my 360 locking up.

I miss 11, but I doubt there'll be any kind of re-release for new platforms. No idea what this announcement is otherwise though.

Damn dude. Takes me back. Loved loved loved beast master. Nothing like being out there alone soloing some insane notorious monster for 1h + fights

Seventh

It would be strange for them to just shut down the servers without at least attempting to transition the game to F2P or buy to play first. Seems like it would be leaving potential money on the table, because if done right, it could breathe new life into the game.

Well

The problem with making a JRPG styled MMO is the issue of Fatigue. You can only Tier things up and escalate things so far before you hit a ceiling.

You see this a lot on just about every RPG that pushes its content that Endgame arena.

Eventually there has to come a point where everything maxes out and by then the player is already starting to see the limits of how much more challenge can be presented and shiny loot that makes the already beaten game trivial just ends up being a cool toy to show off for a while (and runs the risk of trivializing future content).

Its a tricky balance board when trying to keep an RPG interesting for the long haul.

I know of one potential solution to such fatigue that I have seen glimpses of in other games but it might need its own post to explain. Hell I am not even sure if you guys will follow what i am talking about here

Alchemy

Free to Play would be awesome, I really want to get back into it with my wife but paying $13 a month for both of us is a little cost prohibitive for how old the game is.

Shouta

Would converting the game into single player be a massive undertaking? It seems like there would be so much balancing issues to iron out.

The entire game could use a massive Edit and retooling in much the same way FFXIV 1.0 was

I just highly doubt they would do it given the sheer amount of investment it would take. Seems very unrealistic.

I think they could do it with a few additions and some tweaks to existing stuff but if they really wanted to make it an SP experience, they'd need to add in a lot of various other stuff to make it more cohesive. The game, as it is right now, has a lot of stuff that is solo friendly so a lot of work has been done already.

XIV is completely different. It's fine, but it's missing some major things from XI. Most notably the gear treadmill in that game now is boring as shit. Pretty much zero options.

Not just the gear treadmill but the secondary systems that make the gear treadmill more appealing.

Menchi

I miss FFXI so much. I need to get back into it some time. Hopefully this announcement makes it easier in some way. Such an amazing game with a stand out OST

Kandinsky

I dont get the abyssea hate, I mean sure we turned into gods in there, but it was also fun and it introduced some interesting game mechanics :/

I dont get the abyssea hate, I mean sure we turned into gods in there, but it was also fun and it introduced some interesting game mechanics :/

It was overwhelming, and it just changed the nature of the game in a blink of an eye, which didn't sit well with us who had been playing it since launch.

ZetaEpyon

Modern FFXI is not really that similar to FFXIV. Yes, it's a far cry from the way it used to be, but let's not go crazy here. It's just that some of the harshest edges have been rounded off by now.

I see people wishing for pre-Abyssea servers fairly often, and I just don't think it would work. Yeah, a lot of people say they'd resub for that, but how long would that actually last? I think what people really want is the sense of community that the older FFXI iterations, and that's surely not coming back, even if they make old-style servers. Ultimately, pre-abyssea FFXI is a game that I don't think can exist in the modern MMO world.

Kyoufu

The sense of accomplishment was totally lost in Abyssea. It was like turning on infinite health in Dark Souls.

Single player version for one of the best stories in FF.

If this ever happened, I would buy it in a heart beat. Hell, I'd dreamed of this and wondered if anyone had ever thought the same.

I think what people really want is the sense of community that the older FFXI iterations, and that's surely not coming back, even if they make old-style servers.

Agreed. I have fond memories of the years I spent playing, but looking back at all the time wasted either doing nothing or slamming my head against a wall when my friends weren't available... I don't really want to ever go through it again.

robinsxe

Ok, that'll make me play it all over again instead of wasting time on ARR.

Camping Dragon's Aery in HD and hi-res textures., can't wait!

this.

Still the best Monster structure in gaming history. Only one chance in a week to get Nidhogg, check!

I didnt hate it but it did take away a lot of accomplishments. What I disliked the most was that you could level in it. Destroyed traditional XP parties which I loved and replaced them with a spam fest similar to xiv where you'd join when you were level 30 and afk

Shouta

It was overwhelming, and it just changed the nature of the game in a blink of an eye, which didn't sit well with us who had been playing it since launch.

I played since launch and I loved Abyssea. It was a breath of fresh air when compared to what we had to endure before it came, especially if you were one of those neglected jobs in the meta. It was horrid that you couldn't enjoy all the content on your favorite job if it wasn't in the spotlight in the meta. Best of all, it did it without changing the base game outside of those areas too much.

Modern FFXI is not really that similar to FFXIV. Yes, it's a far cry from the way it used to be, but let's not go crazy here. It's just that some of the harshest edges have been rounded off by now.

I see people wishing for pre-Abyssea servers fairly often, and I just don't think it would work. Yeah, a lot of people say they'd resub for that, but how long would that actually last? I think what people really want is the sense of community that the older FFXI iterations, and that's surely not coming back, even if they make old-style servers. Ultimately, pre-abyssea FFXI is a game that I don't think can exist in the modern MMO world.

Yeah, folks want the community but that can exist without going back to pre-Abyssea though it's unlikely.

Yeah Abyssea was where the game lost me. I still barely know wtf I was doing there, it was fun for short bursts but I didn't like that it basically took over the normal progression system. It was like FFXI Super Turbo Hyper Edition but I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment in there.

Not sure how the game played after that point, but it just felt like such a huge departure from the gameplay I was used to. I would have loved to go back and give it another shot, but I'm happy with the direction FFXIV is going. Maybe this news will make it more enticing.

ZetaEpyon

I didnt hate it but it did take away a lot of accomplishments. What I disliked the most was that you could level in it. Destroyed traditional XP parties which I loved and replaced them with a spam fest similar to xiv where you'd join when you were level 30 and afk

Well good news then, traditional parties are currently more in vogue, only for capacity points instead of experience. (Think new merit points, basically.)

Kandinsky

What accomplishments tho?, fighting over claims in DA?, Sky?, Sea?. If anything Abyssea saved the game :p

Edit: But yeah if this is to announce the end of the game I will be sad, even if I dont play it anymore D:

Allard

I think on top of this the 'story' related to the content was near non-existant/not good to accompany it, it literally felt new game + for an MMO with content that completely eclipsed the old. On one hand I felt it breathed amazing new life into the game, on the other hand I would have preferred a more traditional expansion with new story and 'less' radicalization of the new level cap. It just killed so much content while not adding nearly enough to replace it nor was much of it compelling. I think if they didn't go to such great lengths on upping the cap so quickly to 99, like abyssea finished at say lvl 85 or 90 and added new equip more slowly that didn't completely eviscerate the old content it might have registered a bit better. But the change was too radical and parts of the community struggled to keep up with the changing times that before the new 'standard' could get established, a ton of people moved on to other things.

For me though what killed the game wasn't abyssea, I actually came back to the game after abyssea launched and enjoyed the first patch or two of the new expansion, what killed the game for me was the login campaign, and specifically the login campaign tied to Trust NPCs. Once I knew I missed the opportunity to participate in content I know I would have wanted to have, I stopped caring about coming back. And I likely won't come back till I know there is a way for me to get that old content in some form (even if I have to work for it).

Damn. Must resist temptation to go back to XI. Haven't played in over ten years I can't imagine all the things I left undone and would have to catch up to. I wonder how it would run on my current computer, though.

Community is still pretty strong in current FFXI. Not nearly as strong as when everything required a group (still miss that) but it is still the strongest of any MMO I have tried

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The sense of accomplishment was totally lost in Abyssea. It was like turning on infinite health in Dark Souls.

Abyssea saved the game after it had been ground into the dust by the WoTG era. Yes, DNC and SCH were great additions to the game, but practically everything else from that expansion sucked. Even the main storyline -which is actually pretty cool- is undercut by endless filler-missions and the most worthless rewards ever for an expansion.

Pretty much nothing from that era "stuck" with the playerbase, it was an unmitigated disaster. The 3 mini-expansions weren't much better either.

Abyssea, and the whole Magian Trial system basically dragged the game from a 3 year-long rut. An insane length of time if you consider what was added in the 3 years preceding WoTG.

Top Bottom