• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Final Fantasy XI press conference ended [OP updated with details]

Parshias7

Every couple of months I see a FFXI story and wonder about coming back and giving it a shot. Got the game at launch and played up through Aht'Urgan or however you spell it.

Then I read up on it some more and realize that they apparently ruined Red Mages, so that settles that.

I prefer FFXI.

And oddly enough, FFXI is actually more soloable than FFXIV now because of level syncing in FFXIV and trusts (AI party members) in FFXI.

Also I kind of like just running around doing GoV/FoV (basically kill quests) in any area I choose rather than FFXIVs limited leve system and farming fates in the 3 areas people farm fates in or running the same leveling dungeons another 2000 times.

Battles were slower and played out more like a JRPG fight instead of the chaotic flash fest that is XIV's combat. Which plays more like a twitch Shooter combined with Diablo 3....

And its mechanically similar to Diablo 3 where its stripped down to basic number thresholds and math. DPS checks etc... No more are various complex mechanisms interacting with each other (such as Element, attack type, status effects and other traditional FF RPG tropes)

You focus less on the RPG and more on the Action and Teamwork and roles. Im not saying its worse but its certainly less compelling for RPG enthusiasts. It targets the brain of a different type of player

Kyoufu

I'd port the PC version to PS4 and cut off the PS2 version, create new content around PS4/PC/360 specs and maybe reduce monthly fee.

Piccoro

My guesses are:

-dropping of ps2 and potentially 360 support
-announcement of a new expansion
-single player version
-port to ps3 and/or vita, ps4, 3ds, xbone, mac, android, ios
could be any of those, or something completely diffrent

Are the PS2 and 360 ports still active? I thought people only played this on PC...

King Al B

I would totally be on board for a single player version of FFXI. Hopefully on the WiiU hehe I only say that cause i don't have a PS4..

frequency

How easy is it to get trusts?

See, my experience of XI was that I made a thief, I think.. got to about level 5 in some desert and started finding it really hard. Someone said I needed a party already.

In comparison, I've done most of what XIV has to offer, save for the endgame raiding which doesn't interest me.

Right when you start the game, a trust is basically given to you. Just talk to the NPC and do the quests that is like talk to this other NPC. Go to Windurst for a healer trust to start with. Bastok for a tank.

As you get higher rank, more trusts will open up to you. Also they run login campaigns every month. You get currency simply for logging in. You can buy more trusts with that. This month it's a dancer and a summoner.

The game has changed significantly over the years. You don't need to group up at all until some Adoulin content (latest expansion) if you don't want to.

Why didn't everyone jump ship to XIV by now?
I still jump back to it from time to time because it plays unlike any other MMO on the market right now.

That and they just recently finished the latest expansion's story. They've been adding new content every month with QoL adjustments.

lol @ the couple of people suggesting servers going down. Not happening. I still see 700-1k people online on Fenrir when I get bored and test a patch. Though that was a month ago. I'd really like a new subscription model to bring new life into the game though, but that's probably not happening either.

Robin64

Right when you start the game, a trust is basically given to you. Just talk to the NPC and do the quests that is like talk to this other NPC. Go to Windurst for a healer trust to start with. Bastok for a tank.

As you get higher rank, more trusts will open up to you. Also they run login campaigns every month. You get currency simply for logging in. You can buy more trusts with that. This month it's a dancer and a summoner.

The game has changed significantly over the years. You don't need to group up at all until some Adoulin content (latest expansion) if you don't want to.

That sounds pretty amazing actually.

Seventh

I haven't played FFXI since 2007, and I was just recently thinking about returning so I could check out everything that's changed. I hope they're not shutting down the servers any time soon.

I'm hoping they announce that they're finally dropping PS2 and 360 support so they can update the game without having those platforms hold them back. A free to play option for FFXI would be interesting too, if done right.

Paskil

I would love--LOVE--a single player version of FFXI. Please, SE. PLEASE!

I think that is the only way I'll ever pick up the game again.

dramatis

I don't think they're killing it or turning it F2P any time soon as it's still bringing in mad cash.

According to SE's annual report:
You need to be more careful when skimming. The 1 million subscriber number accounts for all of FF14, FF11, and DQ10, of which FF14 and DQ10 make up the majority of the 1 million. Possibly more towards FF14 than DQ10, since 14 is operational worldwide as opposed to DQ10 which is JP only. FF11 is not bringing in mad cash.

Single Player sounds less appealing to me

Would still like to see the game playable as a multiplayer game but maybe they go the Monster Hunter route and only have 4 man parties and balance the game around small party setups

You need to be more careful when skimming. The 1 million subscriber number accounts for all of FF14, FF11, and DQ10, of which FF14 and DQ10 make up the majority of the 1 million. Possibly more towards FF14 than DQ10, since 14 is operational worldwide as opposed to DQ10 which is JP only. FF11 is not bringing in mad cash.

FFVIX recently 4 million accounts created tho.

Allard

I'd Love for this to be the announcement

1) Kill PS2 Support (finally, it was already dead in every place other then Japan and not even Sony is supporting that any further, killing 360 support wouldnt be a terrible loss either.)

2) Port Game to PS4/Vita (Or just PS4 and remote play for Vita would suffice)

3) Announce the return of the MMO Bundle where having both FFXIV and FFXI active subscriptions gives a discount. (I'm not going to have two active subscriptions to two MMO's when I have a hard enough time making time for one of them, but I would still love the ability to just 'jump into either whenever I feel like it so a reduced rate for playing both is ideal for me)

Possible announcement I would enjoy but not as much as the above (Or feel like they are less likely to be announced anyways)

New expansion (its time if they want to keep supporting the game further aside from casting it to the dead heap, the story for the current expansion ended months ago and they already put a system in place now to expand the game well beyond its current setting if they wished)

The other one I would LOVE is a Single Player version of FFXI and this mainly because due to the gameplay focus they have been doing lately with the trust system it wouldn't be too terribly hard for them to accomplish this task with a little bit of extra development oomph (Like retuning certain parts of the game to be more fitting for a single player game, but the actual battles themselves might not need to retuned). I want others to play the game who didn't want to because it was an MMO, and eventually this game will die one way or another and would love for its gameplay to be enshrined so I could revisit it whenever I feel like it.

FFXI is my favourite videogame of all time but I couldn't go back to it today and play seriously. I still want to jump back in at some point just to explore the zones and let the nostalgia pour over me.

A press conference though, makes it seem like big changes are coming. Relaunch for new platforms?

Robin64

Tempted to install again tonight with the new trust thing going on. I'm done with WoW and XIV for now, so need something to fill that MMO hole for a while.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Nope, XII is the sequel. XI -> XII. Dur. ;)

But seriously, I'm just curious what remaining players consider to be better than XIV and worth sticking around for.

I personally like how the combat flows a bit more in XI than I do in XIV. I main PLD in both XI and XIV and I find the PLD job to be much more diverse in XI than it is in XIV. If someone is dying I can actually help heal while still holding hate and even adding to my enmity pool. I can single target flash an add that may be causing problems for my group swap half my gear when I pop sentinel then have it change back right before using shield bash to stun a harmful move from a HNM. Honestly they are very different both are good but for diversity in combat I much prefer XI.

I also like my SMN in XI so much more than the SMN in XIV its almost laughable.... Avatars > Egi in every conceivable way.

I personally like how the combat flows a bit more in XI than I do in XIV. I main PLD in both XI and XIV and I find the PLD job to be much more diverse in XI than it is in XIV. If someone is dying I can actually help heal while still holding hate and even adding to my enmity pool. I can single target flash an add that may be causing problems for my group swap half my gear when I pop sentinel then have it change back right before using shield bash to stun a harmful move from a HNM. Honestly they are very different both are good but for diversity in combat I much prefer XI.

I also like my SMN in XI so much more than the SMN in XIV its almost laughable.... Avatars > Egi in every conceivable way.

I would consider in battle gear swapping a CON of FFXI actually

FFXI does have a MUCH larger "toolbox" than XIV by a very wide margin but this is one tool I would rather not see used again lol

Allard

I don't even know where people get the single player idea in their heads. That makes the least amount of sense.

Aside from end game content all the new content has been designed with solo to extremely small groups in mind and the trust system made soloing most of the games original content amazingly easy, and not just because everyone is super high level. I don't expect them to announce such a change unless they felt the game was basically at the end of its life, but its also not something I see being too large a leap in the future. They are already designing most there new stuff with solo to low population in mind.

Jpope

Neo Member
One of the only gaming regrets of my early teens was not getting a job to pay for internet connection to play this game on ps2.

Rezae

A single-player version of FFXI would be one of best announcements in a looong time for me. Incredible story and lore for an MMO. One of, if not THE best OST in a FF game, and just a great world to adventure in. I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but if they could pull that off SE would definitely be back in my thumbs up column.

Aside from end game content all the new content has been designed with solo to extremely small groups in mind and the trust system made soloing most of the games original content amazingly easy, and not just because everyone is super high level. I don't expect them to announce such a change unless they felt the game was basically at the end of its life, but its also not something I see being too large a leap in the future. They are already designing most there new stuff with solo to low population in mind.

Its a shame that these come of as some sort of charitable band aid fixes to some of the XI's gameplay faults

I would have been in favor of a much larger retooling to streamline that gameplay as opposed to just giving the player an overabundance of shortcuts

Yeah that was probably my least favourite thing about XIV's Paladin. I loved being a capable tank/healer in XI.

I mained WAR and SMN and also preferred the way those jobs worked in XI. I really liked that WAR was set up as a master of most weapon types, while it wouldn't work with the armory system in XIV I always hoped WAR could be reworked to be a more capable tank with certain weapons, or a DPS with others. I loved it's versatility.

Put a fair amount of time into FFXI (way after its glory days because I was basically too young to be subscribing to an MMO during its heyday) but never really felt like I got properly going with it. I'd be sad if it suddenly got shut down because it's the only FF game where I never finished the main story campaign and I always meant to get round to going back to it.

ApharmdX

Banned
Every couple of months I see a FFXI story and wonder about coming back and giving it a shot. Got the game at launch and played up through Aht'Urgan or however you spell it.

Then I read up on it some more and realize that they apparently ruined Red Mages, so that settles that.

Red mage isn't bad so much as it is eclipsed by geomancer and scholar, to a lesser degree. You can use RDM in 12 man or 18 man content. It's harder to justify in 6 man content, though.

Top Bottom