• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, are all cats this fucking annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamsy

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm an animal person. I like animals. Unfortunately due to various reasons, I never had a mammal pet growing up (we had fish/birds). My last girlfriend, whom I dated for several years, had a dog, (we've also petsat a bunch with other dogs) and I've gotten pretty familiar with them. Dogs are great.

I haven't had much interaction with cats until recently. So far though, based on my admittedly limited experience with cats, I don't seem to get what people see in them.

I've been seeing this girl for the last few months. She has two cats. One is a long haired fat orange male cat, and the other a smaller gray female. They're actually very friendly (by cat standards), or so I'm told. I spend a lot of time at her place but the more time I spend around them, the more I dislike them.

Reason 1 - their fucking hair gets everywhere. FUCKING EVERYWHERE. It's in the air, it's all over all clothes, on furniture, on electronics, on human body parts (especially when humans are naked doing stuff), just everywhere. I never had any issues with my ex's dog (granted he was the non-shedding kind), but fuck cat hair.

Reason 2 - they don't fucking listen to anything you say. No matter how many times you yell at them or tell them not to do something or not to go somewhere, it won't make a difference. They might stop for a minute, but turn around and there they go again. With dogs, you can actually see them be sad and remorseful if you chastise them. Cats don't give a fuck.

Reason 3 - they're disloyal as fuck. So the fat orange cat managed to run away a couple months back. We put up flyers but for a couple weeks we didn't know where it went. I hate to admit this, but it was actually quite nice, the cat hair problem was significantly reduced. Eventually someone called and said that this orange cat was hanging around her yard for the past several days. My girlfriend went over there and basically barely managed to wrangle this cat and bring it home, because it would no longer recognize her. For several days after she brought it back the cat treated her as a stranger. So you raise it, feed it, take care of it for years, and this is what you get in return? Uh, yeah, fuck that.

Reason 4 - they scratch the shit out of you. Yes, even with trimmed nails, I've gotten scratched pretty good numerous times, and these are very friendly cats. I can only imagine the battle scars if these were the friskier type of feline.

Reason 5 - they will ruin your shit. Obviously shoes and things like this are a given, but yesterday I left my laptop open when we went to bed. When I woke up, the laptop was in an unnaturally flat position, the hinge that was loose and the screen now doesn't work. My rather expensive Sony laptop fucking ruined.

Reason 6 - they're annoying as fuck. Especially at night. I'm trying to sleep, they're constantly jumping up and down the bed, chasing each other, making all sorts of noise, scaring the shit out of me, waking me up. My girlfriend somehow sleeps through all of this. I can't get a good night's rest there. Not to mention all the litterbox accidents, and pawprints, and ruined furniture, meowing for no reason, etc etc.

So GAF, what do people see in cats again? I actually considered getting one before, since I I was thinking wouldn't have to walk it or anything but this was before I actually knew what I would be getting myself into... I mean, I guess they're cute and all, but holy shit, do I not want a cat ever.

Alucrid

Banned
BeautifulUnrealisticEmperorpenguin.gif

Reason 6 - they're annoying as fuck. Especially at night. I'm trying to sleep, they're constantly jumping up and down the bed, chasing each other, making all sorts of noise, scaring the shit out of me, waking me up. My girlfriend somehow sleeps through all of this. I can't get a good night's rest there.

Cats are nocturnal, they sleep most of the day and are up most of the night. So yes, all cats do this, especially if you have two that can play together.

Reason 1 - their fucking hair gets everywhere. FUCKING EVERYWHERE. It's in the air, it's all over all clothes, on furniture, on electronics, on human body parts (especially when humans are naked doing stuff), just everywhere. I never had any issues with my ex's dog (granted he was the non-shedding kind), but fuck cat hair.
No, not all cats shed large amounts, just like not all dogs do...but some do.

Vire

The scratching stuff sounds abnormal, my cat never once would scratch me and would happily cuddle on your lap.

The rest sounds par for the course... Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Risette

A Good Citizen
no, not all cats are like this. it sounds like she didn't take care of her cats and treated them as the "easy animal" and never bothered to teach them what they shouldn't be doing, brushing their hair, etc.

except for the night time thing, that's normal.

Yeah never saw the appeal of cats. If I wanted to deal with entitled creatures who don't give a shit about you despite what you do for them I'd just go outside.

Oppo

they tolerate #1

#2-6 are in fact qualities that people seem to enjoy about cats

but i will say cats vary wildly in personality, so apart from the hair thing, no they are definitely not all the same.

Vire

Yeah never saw the appeal of cats. If I wanted to deal with entitled creatures who don't give a shit about you despite what you do for them I'd just go outside.

Don't get the appeal? They are much less maintenance and work than a dog. They take care of themselves, clean themselves, they don't need to be walked and are smart enough to use a litter box.

The not giving a shit part is simply not true and largely a stereotype. Sure cats have a mind of their own, but whenever I was upset or cried as a child my cat would always come over and lick me or purr next to me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The only thing my cats ever did that annoyed me was walk around on my keyboard while I was typing.

Couleurs

Don't forget the toxoplasmosis that literally fucks your brain up and turns you into a crazy cat hoarder. It's worth it though, my lil baby is so cute eeeeeEEEEEE

VanWinkle

Don't get the appeal? They are much less maintenance and work than a dog. They take care of themselves, clean themselves, they don't need to be walked and are smart enough to use a litter box.

The not giving a shit part is simply not true and largely a stereotype. Sure cats have a mind of their own, but whenever I was upset or cried as a child my cat would always come over and lick me or purr next to me.

Yup. They're very low-maintenance, and they are definitely affectionate; just in their own way. They're quite independant, but it's not like they never show love.

DJ_Lae

4 and 5 sound abnormal, but the rest are a good description of cats. I've had nothing ruined by cats and I've had them around for most of my life. And I've only been scratched up once when I foolishly pulled my cat away from a raccoon at the window (that I did not see until it was too late).

Cat hair isn't generally a huge problem either - just brush them frequently.

Oppo

OP, tell me.

would you rather have

a) a bunch of cat hair around
b) a bunch of cucumbers around

M3d10n

They infect you with a parasite that turns you into a slave who loves them despise everything they do.

-- EDIT --
Don't forget the toxoplasmosis that literally fucks your brain up and turns you into a crazy cat hoarder. It's worth it though, my lil baby is so cute eeeeeEEEEEE

There it is.

My cat is the most chill animal ever. Spends most of her time sleeping on her back in various places around the house, doesn't scratch anything but her post/mat. No noise, likes to be played with, doesn't shed very much, likes to sleep near you and her purrs act like a white noise machine.

Cats are great. Sorry you're too uptight to realise how wonderful they are, even the ones that don't act like the dogs you expect them to be.

My opinion's probably anecdotal in that case, then. I've had family and friends with cats and they're always surly creatures. I've always found myself much more in sync with dogs. I do agree dogs tend to be messier which can get annoying.

Vire

My cat is the most chill animal ever. Spends most of her time sleeping on her back in various places around the house, doesn't scratch anything but her post/mat. No noise, likes to be played with, doesn't shed very much, likes to sleep near you and her purrs act like a white noise machine.

Cats are great. Sorry you're too uptight to realise how wonderful they are, even the ones that don't act like the dogs you expect them to be.

I dunno, just sounds like his girlfriend has shitty cats that weren't raised right or groomed.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Dogs are way too needy. I love both animals, but I do enjoy the fact that cats are quite capable of taking care of themselves both physically and emotionally. Dogs are so much work. Love me, walk me, feed me, take me out to go to the bathroom, throw the ball for me, pay attention to me. Bark bark bark bark bark. Repeat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All of the stuff you hate about cats are why people get cats

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom