• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, are all cats this fucking annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pets in general are pretty weird when you itemize it like that. Cleaning up pee and poop (even when they do it where they're supposed to it's still work to clean), shedding fur, general destructiveness and so on. I mean I get why people keep pets, we have 4 in the house now and each have their own little personalities (which we love, of course), but when you try to look at it completely objectively it's a pretty shitty thing.

My cat is the most chill animal ever. Spends most of her time sleeping on her back in various places around the house, doesn't scratch anything but her post/mat. No noise, likes to be played with, doesn't shed very much, likes to sleep near you and her purrs act like a white noise machine.

Cats are great. Sorry you're too uptight to realise how wonderful they are, even the ones that don't act like the dogs you expect them to be.
This is pretty much how my cat is. She even hunts down bugs and either kills them herself or keeps tabs on them while I come to do it. She only scratched me real bad once (and I mean REALLY BAD) early on when we got her but thank God I was okay and she's been awesome ever since.

The litter box also makes your apartment smell like shit.
Only if you don't take proper care of it.

Sorry OP. The hair being everywhere shouldn't be that bad. Maybe they need to be groomed better.

zeopower6

The litter box also makes your apartment smell like shit.

I think you brought this up before in the other cat thread but it usually only smells just after they use it or if you let it build up a LOT of waste. Or maybe you're using weird litter...?

scamander

Banned
I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm an animal person.

From the rest of your post, you are not. And I'm not only talking about cats here. Your attitude gives it away. Animals don't are accessories. Do yourself and all animals a favour and stick to non-mammals -or even better- non-vertebrates.

Been a dog person for years. Living alone and working now I can't justify a dog so I adopted a cat. She follows me everywhere purring, has short hair, never scratches and does that adorable kneading thing on your lap. You are unlucky.

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm an animal person. I like animals. Unfortunately due to various reasons, I never had a mammal pet growing up (we had fish/birds). My last girlfriend, whom I dated for several years, had a dog, (we've also petsat a bunch with other dogs) and I've gotten pretty familiar with them. Dogs are great.

I haven't had much interaction with cats until recently. So far though, based on my admittedly limited experience with cats, I don't seem to get what people see in them.

I've been seeing this girl for the last few months. She has two cats. One is a long haired fat orange male cat, and the other a smaller gray female. They're actually very friendly (by cat standards), or so I'm told. I spend a lot of time at her place but the more time I spend around them, the more I dislike them.

Reason 1 - their fucking hair gets everywhere. FUCKING EVERYWHERE. It's in the air, it's all over all clothes, on furniture, on electronics, on human body parts (especially when humans are naked doing stuff), just everywhere. I never had any issues with my ex's dog (granted he was the non-shedding kind), but fuck cat hair.

Reason 2 - they don't fucking listen to anything you say. No matter how many times you yell at them or tell them not to do something or not to go somewhere, it won't make a difference. They might stop for a minute, but turn around and there they go again. With dogs, you can actually see them be sad and remorseful if you chastise them. Cats don't give a fuck.

Reason 3 - they're disloyal as fuck. So the fat orange cat managed to run away a couple months back. We put up flyers but for a couple weeks we didn't know where it went. I hate to admit this, but it was actually quite nice, the cat hair problem was significantly reduced. Eventually someone called and said that this orange cat was hanging around her yard for the past several days. My girlfriend went over there and basically barely managed to wrangle this cat and bring it home, because it would no longer recognize her. For several days after she brought it back the cat treated her as a stranger. So you raise it, feed it, take care of it for years, and this is what you get in return? Uh, yeah, fuck that.

Reason 4 - they scratch the shit out of you. Yes, even with trimmed nails, I've gotten scratched pretty good numerous times, and these are very friendly cats. I can only imagine the battle scars if these were the friskier type of feline.

Reason 5 - they will ruin your shit. Obviously shoes and things like this are a given, but yesterday I left my laptop open when we went to bed. When I woke up, the laptop was in an unnaturally flat position, the hinge that was loose and the screen now doesn't work. My rather expensive Sony laptop fucking ruined.

Reason 6 - they're annoying as fuck. Especially at night. I'm trying to sleep, they're constantly jumping up and down the bed, chasing each other, making all sorts of noise, scaring the shit out of me, waking me up. My girlfriend somehow sleeps through all of this. I can't get a good night's rest there. Not to mention all the litterbox accidents, and pawprints, and ruined furniture, meowing for no reason, etc etc.

So GAF, what do people see in cats again? I actually considered getting one before, since I I was thinking wouldn't have to walk it or anything but this was before I actually knew what I would be getting myself into... I mean, I guess they're cute and all, but holy shit, do I not want a cat ever.

I was going to respond to each and every of your points but I'll just keep short and say that you don't sound very smart at all.
edit: and going by the bolded, you are not an animal person. shut it.

Downhome

Another cat thread!

TintedLeadingKoi.gif

norm9

My cat is terrible. Meows when it's nighttime, scratches and ruins my furniture, carpet, and bed, knocks over all my shit, leaves litterbox crumbs everywhere so that I can't walk barefoot, etc.

Oh well. *shrug*

EGM1966

OP you claim to be an animal person, seem to expect animals to do what we want and then list bunch f obvious stuff about hairy animals called cats.

Conclusion: you are not an animal person and have no idea about animals.

Animals like 99.999% of the time do what they want and can be great or annoying accordingly. Cats excepted who are both cute and "fuck you dude" at the same time. Dogs also excepted who just plain dumb love us bless 'em.

Probably doesn't help, but the cats think the same thing about you. Your skin cells are flaking all over the place and all your crap is lying around. No matter how many times they tell you to shut the fuck up, you never do it. You were loyal to some other girl for years, now you dont even talk to her. And you're constantly getting up in the morning, making a racket in the kitchen and bathroom while they are trying to sleep in.

I imagine there is a post on the neocat forums entitled "Are all humans this fucking annoying?"

Darksol

Reason 2 - they don't fucking listen to anything you say. No matter how many times you yell at them or tell them not to do something or not to go somewhere, it won't make a difference. They might stop for a minute, but turn around and there they go again. With dogs, you can actually see them be sad and remorseful if you chastise them. Cats don't give a fuck.

This is why I love cats.

Aiustis

Lol you can't treat a cat like a dog.

Edit:

Probably doesn't help, but the cats think the same thing about you. Your skin cells are flaking all over the place and all your crap is lying around. No matter how many times they tell you to shut the fuck up, you never do it. You were loyal to some other girl for years, now you dont even talk to her. And you're constantly getting up in the morning, making a racket in the kitchen and bathroom while they are trying to sleep in.

I imagine there is a post on the neocat forums entitled "Are all humans this fucking annoying?"

I love so much.

Dreavus

Our cat has gotten slightly more needy as she's gotten older; there's a lot more loud meowing when everyone in the house is downstairs and she's upstairs, or vice versa. But as for the personality issues and fur issues, those are a cat by cat basis (brushing helps but depends on the kind of cat as well).

Lucreto

I have a fat orange cat too and he is amazing

I laughed as I scrolled down that picture. He is adorable.

As for TC points

It seems your girlfriend has been lax on taking care of her cat.

1. She should groom the cat. I get another cat out of fur on the brush.

2. I trained my cat with a spray bottle. When she does bad she gets sprayed. Now I just have to pick up the bottle and she is gone.

3. Never happened to me. She doesn't leave the garden and is happy to see me when I walk in.

4. I get scratched time to time but she knows she did wrong seconds after. She hides for a few minutes and comes back.

5. She rubs off corners and dirt builds up, clothes drying on a clothes horse being pulled down or a missing fridge magnet are the worst she does.

6. I lock the cat in a room for the night with lots of toys. I have motion sensors in the house and the cat can set them off.

My cats are amazing. I have two lap cats and as they've aged, they've become much more loving. My male cat can be annoying as hell sometimes, but I can't and won't think about the day he's gone. He'll live forever because my love for him will keep him going.

Our female cat is a momma's cat through and through. Small and quiet but super loving. We got really lucky with ours. One was a stray as a kitten and one was adopted from a shelter, being the only kitten left in a feral family.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
My friend used to have a cat like that. He was spotty white, orange and brown tho. Big cat, named Stanley. I loved that cat. He had more of a dog personality tho. He was awesome.

It seems like all big cats are chill as hell. My cat (Yoshi) is the same, and he has that dog-like personality that's typical in Siberian cats.

He always underestimates his size though. He'll jump all over you and want to be carried around, but he's freakin' HEAVY

Dishwalla

Banned
My cat rocks and is in fact not annoying.

Well, maybe she's a little annoying, but in a cute endearing way. Can you really be mad at a cat that just wants some love and attention?

Cats aren't nearly as domesticated as dogs and generally have only a loose social contract with their owners. They know they won't have to hunt if they stay with an owner.

My cat is annoying as shit. I even had to raise the little shit from a few days old as even his own momma didn't want him and just abandoned him. It's nasty rubbing a cats asshole with a cloth to get him to shit. Or constantly having to ensure he had a warm bag/pillow because he couldn't make his own body heat. I kept that fucker in my locker at work for the first few weeks of his life as I couldn't leave him alone or he'd die.

Every time I leave my room he tries to pounce on the back of my legs. And he always seems to wait for me to sit down before deciding to run around like a maniac and matrix off walls and shit to let me know he wants out. I love him for it.

He's also very affectionate when I sleep and likes to chill in my lap when I play videogames. Cats are awesome. Dogs are waaaayyyy more awesome.

Those cat game gifs are really tasteless. Enjoy being mentally 13 years old.

Yes, cats can be annoying poop-and-hair-producing parasitical little shits, but they're also loving and affectionate and adorable and often hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom