• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, are all cats this fucking annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fat orange cat too and he is amazing

78i6oDk.gif

sono

While they need a lot of looking after, I love my 2 cats.

Each one has a very different character..

HTupolev

1-Yes
2-That's not how cats work. You want to teach them to not do something, try spraying water.
3-Cats don't forget who their slaves owners are after just a few weeks.
4-HTFU
5-Yes. I'm curious as to how they'd do that type of damage to a laptop, though. Pushed it off a table?
6-It's so cute. :)

Cat's are pretty good about mirroring the attitude you give them.

Also, trade yelling at the cat with a spray bottle of water, much more effective.

5-Yes. I'm curious as to how they'd do that type of damage to a laptop, though. Pushed it off a table?

I think he means the cat pushed the screen backwards, breaking the hinge.

Sonicbug

Reason 2 - they don't fucking listen to anything you say. No matter how many times you yell at them or tell them not to do something or not to go somewhere, it won't make a difference. They might stop for a minute, but turn around and there they go again. With dogs, you can actually see them be sad and remorseful if you chastise them.

That's not remorse, that's submission. People mistake it for remorse when you scold them when all they're doing is responding to their alpha barking at them and respond accordingly.

Cat's don't do that pack mentality stuff. You have to earn their respect. Every cat for itself.

I'm not a pet person, but I don't like my sister's cat especially. He's fine if he just lies in my lap or whatever, but he's always just messing with things around the house. Even worse, my sister is literally home maybe once a week so I am the one burdened with him. He knocks over the trash constantly, tries to touch my food when I'm eating, climbs all over the kitchen counters (which is pretty unsanitary), scratches up our mattresses and couch (they look really bad right now), and runs out if you open the door. The latter is particularly a problem when you have to chase him around the neighborhood while cars are trying to pass. He'll run out in the garage when I'm trying to leave for school so I have to spend 10 minutes or so trying to get him back inside which caused me to leave later than intended. His litter box is in my sister's room, which just smells awful and spreads throughout our hallway. And since she's never home, I'm always the one who has to deal with him. She also doesn't take any responsibility for all the tears in our furniture. I have pretty low tolerance for pets, I suppose. I try to tell myself they don't know any better, but given the choice, I wouldn't get a pet.

Lijik

i feel like a lot of asshole cat traits stem from people refusing to train their cats at all when theyre young and the weird expectancy that they're going to act like a dog. In an alternate universe people refuse to train dogs and make neogaf threads about how dogs suck cus they shit all over the house and refuse to use the litter box like a cat would.

EDIT- ^ tell your sister to clean the litterbox more often and to get the cat some scratchposts and train him to use those instead of the couch.

Don't get the appeal? They are much less maintenance and work than a dog. They take care of themselves, clean themselves, they don't need to be walked and are smart enough to use a litter box.

The not giving a shit part is simply not true and largely a stereotype. Sure cats have a mind of their own, but whenever I was upset or cried as a child my cat would always come over and lick me or purr next to me.

The not giving a shit part is definitely a stereotype. So is the "cats are smart enough to use a litterbox". Firstly, not all cats do use a litterbox. Secondly, wording the statement the way you did more than implies that dogs are, by comparison, not smart enough to avoid relieving themselves indoors. Again, a stereotype. My dog asks to be let outside, does it's thing, and comes back in.

All of these arguments end up being anecdotal, and not just on the internet. I know owners of a specific species are biased in favor of that species, but these animals are obviously just as unique as people. Most cats aren't assholes, and most dogs aren't idiots.

i feel like a lot of asshole cat traits stem from people refusing to train their cats at all when theyre young and the weird expectancy that they're going to act like a dog. In an alternate universe people refuse to train dogs and make neogaf threads about how dogs suck cus they shit all over the house and refuse to use the litter box like a cat would.

EDIT- ^ tell your sister to clean the litterbox more often and to get the cat some scratchposts and train him to use those instead of the couch.
Haha, I really appreciate the advice, but my sister is really irresponsible about this sort of thing. I've told her many times to just stay home a little more often so he's not by himself all the time (when my family doesn't trust him to be by himself they'll put him in her room and shut the door, and since she's hardly home he could be there all day). I have this really big problem about people in my family taking on the responsibility of pet ownership when they shouldn't be. My mother, on two separate occasions, got a puppy, but ended up giving him away a few years later because she couldn't handle the additional responsibility.

Ayt

Banned
Shitty owners lead to shitty pets.

I think a lot of people don't have the personality to relate to cats and shouldn't own them. You are definitely right that people expect them to act like dogs for some reason.

Cat's aren't dogs. That's what a lot of dog owners/lovers can't always get their heads around. They give you as much love but in different ways and often more on their terms. You can't expect cats to act the same way as dogs and then moan about them being more selfish or standoffish when they don't act like dogs.

I grew up with both, but main pets being dogs - but I've come to prefer cats, or rather prefer to OWN cats. Dogs are great like neices and nephews are great, I'll be a cool uncle I don't want to be a full-time fucking dad. Cats do their own thing, come around for a bit but never outstay their welcome attention-wise, at least mine never have, I realise different animals have different personalities.

I prefer the lower maintenance attention-wise of cats these days. Dogs might have more individual personality and more of a bond with you (again speaking generally), but it's also more commitment and work on your part.

in my experience, it isn't the cats you have to worry about

it is the cat obsessed girlfriends. They must be broken before they become that crazy cat lady whose corpse is found a month after she stopped getting her mail. It isn't worth it. Find a girl with a dog.

The scratching stuff sounds abnormal, my cat never once would scratch me and would happily cuddle on your lap.

The rest sounds par for the course... Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
Exactly. If you're getting scratched thats an issue between you and that cat.

My cat only ever scratched the shit out of my ex, which in hindsight was absolutely the right call, and me once or twice when I've tried to do stupid shit like walk her outside on a leash ;p

And yeah, you can scream at em all day to no avail. 'NO' is not a word they understand. My technique is the water bottle spray or the nuclear option of tossing her into a bathtub full of warm water. Either one seems to do the trick for a good while.

Ayt

Banned
A major mistake people makes with cats that can have longstanding repercussions is playing too rough. Cats love to play fight with your hands when they are young. They play bite and play scratch to train hunting and also learn boundaries. If you do it right, it will all be play and they won't leave a mark. It is a great way to form a bond with them.

If you are too rough and they legitimately bite you or scratch you, not even necessarily that hard, but just more than a play version would be, you went to far and that is on you. You also often see people play with cats that way and then force the cats to struggle to get away. If you consistently violate their boundaries that way (which happens a lot, especially with kids who try to play with cats), they aren't going to grow up to be well adjusted.

I've had a few girlfriends who would grab their cats and force hug them while the cats tried to squirm away. A lot of people just don't know how to respect the space the cats are making very clear that they want so you end up with cats that don't fully trust or respect their owners or other humans. Some even become downright neurotic because they feel like they are always on edge and have no safe areas in their own home.

KevinCow

Banned
I find dogs infinitely more annoying. They constantly need attention, they bark all the time at the smallest things or even nothing at all, they shit in the house if you don't let them out, and they're FAR more destructive than cats. Yeah, a cat might knock something off a table, but a dog will rip a giant fucking hole in your mattress for no goddamn reason.

I find dogs infinitely more annoying. They constantly need attention, they bark all the time at the smallest things or even nothing at all, they shit in the house if you don't let them out, and they're FAR more destructive than cats. Yeah, a cat might knock something off a table, but a dog will rip a giant fucking hole in your mattress for no goddamn reason.

This.

I love that my cat can look after himself.

Yes I'm a lazy pet owner.

Kisaya

My boyfriend's cat definitely fits all of that criteria but thankfully isn't that annoying. It took some time for me getting used to never having a cat myself and I still find myself annoyed sometimes. I used to yell at him a lot but realized that it isn't a good method at all with teaching an older cat (they just get fearful of you and try to get away with bad behavior when you're not around). I learned that the best way of teaching him was to remove myself or him from the room when he does something bad. Still love him though, and considering getting a kitten soon when I can take care of one.

Persona7

Banned
There were a bunch of pawprints and cat hair all over it...

My cats like investigating weird things too. Like something that fell off a table, a weird noise outside, etc.

I think you brought this up before in the other cat thread but it usually only smells just after they use it or if you let it build up a LOT of waste. Or maybe you're using weird litter...?

A lot of people use that terrible non-clumping litter and it smells absolutely awful after a day or two. Clumping litter is what you need if you don't want your house to smell. That and daily cleaning.

Velcoro

Cats are awesome creatures but sometimes they can definitely be little assholes. My gf's cat can be super chill and calm but sometimes he'll freak the fuck out and scratch the shit out of you for no reason.

depths20XX

I think other people's cats are cool but I would never wanna deal with one. The hair alone is annoying enough to me. When you wear anything dark and get hair all over it instantly it just sucks.

Jobbs

Banned
I have a fat orange cat too and he is amazing

What is it with orange cats being big?

My orange cat is huge too. The grey one on the right is his sibling, and the small cat on top is actually their mother. They never grew up. Er, emotionally, I guess, that is.

DYgyJ2p.jpg

I think other people's cats are cool but I would never wanna deal with one. The hair alone is annoying enough to me. When you wear anything dark and get hair all over it instantly it just sucks.

Shedding is less of a problem if you brush them. Cats generally enjoy being brushed so it's not even that hard.

Yeah, cats can be that annoying. But as others have said, it really depends on the cat and how it was socialized/trained. Cats are also pretty damn smart and can be trained fairly easily...it just takes some effort (which might be beyond what you're looking to do, especially since they aren't your cats).

1. Brushing helps, but also it depends on the cat. My shorthair will leave clumps of hair on her chair where she likes to sleep, but otherwise hair isn't much of a problem.

2. They can be trained to follow vocal commands, and hand signals, and whatnot, but usually yeah. They dont much care. Very different social dynamic from the pack mentality that dogs have.

3. Not necessarily true, this sounds mostly like a socialization issue/training issue. My cat for example is extremely loyal, and if I am gone for a few days she will express in her own way how much she missed me. If your girlfriend kinda just has them as a convenience the cats will probably treat her the same way.

4. A good scratching post and proper training will solve this. Aside from very rare occasions (which a vocal command will get her to stop) my cat only scratches her post, or these cardboard cat boats things i have around. They do need to scratch, so its important that you give them an outlet to do this on.

5. Yeah, they like laptops. They are warm. Cats are weird. But if they are intentionally destroying your things its likely a behavior issue that can be rectified with training

6. For this...does your GF free range feed the cats? If so, stop. Feed them at set times and get them used to eating then. Prior to bed spend 10-15 minutes playing with the cat (wand toys help), get them to "hunt" and run around. Then feed them. Then you all go to sleep. Hunt, eat, sleep, is the natural progression for cats. This should solve or at least alleviate the night problems, but it will take a while, especially if the cats aren't used to set feeding times or playing.

Hope this helps. If you want to really get into training, check out cat clicker training. Its pretty easy, and works.

linkboy

My girlfriend has two of the most awesome cats I've ever met.

Sure, they're neurotic, but they're well behaved, awesome animals.

Takuan

Sounds like a potentially crummy owner that doesn't properly groom. My cats shed quite a bit, as long as I don't regularly brush them.

Definitely that. Doesn't groom, doesn't clean after them, and gives them free reign over the home. Close the bedroom door at least, shit.

Saganator

A lot of the problems can be solved or helped by creating more spaces for the cats to be... cats. They like to hang out in high places with good visibility of the room and they also like to scratch stuff and play.

We have two cats who were mostly good but they constantly scratched stuff and fought each other. I got 2 cat trees, each in different areas of the house, threw in some cat toys, and the scratching and fighting has pretty much stopped.

How many cat boxes? If you have 2 cats, then you should have at least 2 cat boxes, 3 is ideal if you have the space. One cat box for multiple cats often leads to behavioral issues.

The idea of multiple cat boxes and places for the cats to hang out is to relieve territorial related stress the cats are likely experiencing. You'd be surprised how much differently a cat acts when it's not constantly stressed out.

While each cat has its own temperament...if the cat's "fucking annoying", then in 90% of cases it's the owner's fault for not training it properly and/or not taking care of it and giving it TLC. Same goes for dogs.

Assholes, stubborn ignoramuses and immature adults probably shouldn't own pets.

Mohonky

Yeh OP that's just cats.

They're idiots. I'm constantly reminding my sister her cats an idiot or an asshole. Of course secretly I do like it, it's quite cute and does some funny shit, but they definitely aren't dogs. They just do their thing.

Every time my sausage dog walls past her she slaps him across the face, or she sits on top of chairs hiding and when he walks past she pounces down on top of him like she's a panther waiting in the wild for its prey. But they also have a strange bond of recognising each other as part of the family unit, when my dog was attacked by another dog she spent most of her time near him just sort of checking him out and watching him.

But Yeh, the cat is mostly just there, it'll sometimes come up for a scratch and it knows it's home and bed etc but it mostly spends its time doing whatever the fuck it wants, where my dog is always up for cuddles and a pat and just loves your attention, the cats like eh if I want something I'll come get you, until then leave me alone

eot

Banned
I've had a few girlfriends who would grab their cats and force hug them while the cats tried to squirm away. A lot of people just don't know how to respect the space the cats are making very clear that they want so you end up with cats that don't fully trust or respect their owners or other humans. Some even become downright neurotic because they feel like they are always on edge and have no safe areas in their own home.

Yeah, this is true. If you're holding a cat and it signals that it wants to get away then you need to let it go or it will quickly lose trust in you. You have to interact with them on their terms.

Abounder

Banned
One is a long haired fat orange male cat, and the other a smaller gray female. They're actually very friendly (by cat standards), or so I'm told. I

Reason 3 - they're disloyal as fuck. So the fat orange cat managed to run away a couple months back. We put up flyers but for a couple weeks we didn't know where it went. I hate to admit this, but it was actually quite nice, the cat hair problem was significantly reduced. Eventually someone called and said that this orange cat was hanging around her yard for the past several days. My girlfriend went over there and basically barely managed to wrangle this cat and bring it home, because it would no longer recognize her. For several days after she brought it back the cat treated her as a stranger. So you raise it, feed it, take care of it for years, and this is what you get in return? Uh, yeah, fuck that.

So GAF, what do people see in cats again? I actually considered getting one before, since I I was thinking wouldn't have to walk it or anything but this was before I actually knew what I would be getting myself into... I mean, I guess they're cute and all, but holy shit, do I not want a cat ever.

Male cats are especially annoying.

What do people see in cats? A cute kitten, as opposed to 10+ years of daily pet care.

Frog-fu

Banned
Cats aren't pets.

They're ingrate housemates that don't pay rent and expect you to buy their food and clean up after them.

They're nature's greatest dickheads.

But totes adorbs.

My cat plays fetch, she comes when she's called, and she sleeps at the foot of the bed.

I recently moved across the country and left her with a friend til I can find a stable place to keep her.

I miss her, tons.

Pives

Good to see some fat orange cat loving in here. Here's mine :

RUaRIMd.jpg

He is a big loving ball of fluff.
He can play fetch though !
He is not very smart, but he's a very friendly orange cat.

Machine

Cats are nocturnal, they sleep most of the day and are up most of the night.

This seems to be a common misconception. Cats are not nocturnal, they are actually crepuscular which means they are most active at dawn and dusk. My cat sleeps on my bed with me and she never gets up until right around sunrise.

hermit7

Having a cat is like having a kid. You wouldn't leave your laptop out for your kid to throw around so why would you with a cat.

If you observe your environment for what they may get into you will have less problems overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom