• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late Nights Europe > Blond(e)

Yeah but some moments in blonde really clicked with me today. He has this problem of being onto something really incredible and then switches it up/cuts it short

Like that middle part of Nights....that's an amazing hook. Or the end part of white Ferrari. Or basically the melody during the intro of Ivy.

The highs of that are >>>> jeremih career tbh. But yeah as a whole I think the album is just alright. I like it more now but it's still not that great to me.

Self Control from the yung lean part straight through to the end is so good too. I can see why people are calling this a grower. Not much of this hit me the first time.

It would be too much eh?

A lot of people don't like rappers rapping "for the sport of it" anymore. An entire album of it would make them heated. The Eminem comparisons would be thrown around at such a frequency that they'd be unarguewithable.

Frank Ocean's stuff hasn't done much for me aside from the obvious standout tracks. There's just so little for me to grasp onto.

Yeah I think blonde should be compared more to the last radiohead album or something. It sounds like something they or Sufjan Stevens would have put out more than an rnb project

IrishNinja

weird that i ride for TPAB but never did get into Untitled, gonna have to give that one another go sometime

Yeah I think blonde should be compared more to the last radiohead album or something. It sounds like something they or Sufjan Stevens would have put out more than an rnb project

...damn
that sounds interesting but ive still no idea what to expect from this project

Hitta93

Banned
I saw someone earlier talking about how when they revisited TBAP, they found it difficult to enjoy because of the serious subject matter and "concepty" vibe of the tracks. I get it.

This is a issue with me on GKMC, not TPAB to be honest.

EDIT: Chum is a great song as well.

overcast

...damn
that sounds interesting but ive still no idea what to expect from this project
For the most part it's just really understated. The production is lush/pretty but low key. It honesty could have used one more standout track.

I would say cut one of the low key songs but they tap into Frank's psyche which is wonderful to hear. Idk. Still going through it, I don't love it. But it's good.

Still think Frank should be dropping something that's a favorite of all time for me. He has that potential. The 4 year hype didn't help for most.

Andre 3000's verse on Blond(e?) is frustrating as hell.

Why won't this dude make a solo album?

After 20 years IN, I'm so naive
I was under the IM-pression/
That everyone wrote they own verses
It's comin back different and yeah that shit hurts me/
I'm hummin and whistlin to those not deserving/
I've stumbled and lived every word/
Was I working just way too hard?/

IrishNinja

Andre 3000's verse on Blond(e?) is frustrating as hell.

Why won't this dude make a solo album?

honestly i know dudes love 3k but it's one of the things that keeps him off some lists for me, you can hear dudes like red or ghost go in with others and still kill shit dolo - the closest he got with that was Love Below and even that's arguable

writing his own verses is a good gimmick in this day and age

iouyret.gif

Hitta93

Banned
honestly i know dudes love 3k but it's one of the things that keeps him off some lists for me, you can hear dudes like red or ghost go in with others and still kill shit dolo - the closest he got with that was Love Below and even that's arguable

And if the solo album is anything less than legendary, the mystique currently behind him is gone forever.

We need to be honest with ourselves and admit Solo(Reprise) is horrible.

Koozek

Love Below is a classic. Won't even argue with you fools.

Late Nights Europe is dope as hell, but Frank and Blake would probably be a better comparison. Blake won.

Koozek

Spotify users stay losing.

New De La Soul is good so far, man they still got it., still experimenting with shit too.

Wooah, didn't know it was out even though I watched their Hot97 interview yesterday, must've missed it. Is it the one where they recorded tons of live band music with musicians and then used that as their sample material to avoid sample clearing (which is the reason why none of their older albums are on streaming services, btw)?

EDIT: 90% of the tracks are unavailable on German Spotify
mjcry1.png

EDIT2: Ah, lol, the album just isn't out yet officially it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom