• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaffer Claims To Have Created SuperPS3 (improved textures, draw-distance.. in games)

soultron said:
Man, think about how pissed off HTML web designers are going to be when they find out about this. Every instance of PS3 now has to be changed to SPS3.

No dude, they can just wrap their laptops in copper and melt some forks together to stuff into the DVD tray and every instance of PS3 will magically change to SPS3.

onQ123 said:
play a ps2 game & see if any improved
I don't play any PS2 games on the PS3 sad to say, I have a launch PS2 that outputs 480i running through a Faroudja Native Rate Scaler to upconvert the image in an RGB colorspace set to SD CIE standards at 1024x768.
I cannot say if the enhancements have even come close to the clarity I get with the original PS2 and the scaler, I will get back to you on it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You do not seem to know how a GPU actually works, nor the concept of how a settings file works.

A GPU is a digital component. It works, or it doesn't. Now, since a GPU is complex, it can be broken in a way that it still partially work, but this won't do things like reduce draw distance or make the textures smaller, it will cause random pixels to flicker, and shadows and lighting to break. At the very best, your setup may have reduced running temperature of the CPU and GPU. This though does not effect performance though, it effects stability and the parts life.

Also, console games these days still make use of Setting Files, similar to PC games. Except for a console, the setting file is read only, and not able to be adjusted by the user, or to be automatically reconfigured. The reason console games make use of setting files is to try and find the setup that gives a preferred performance to graphical fidelity ratio.

Corky said:
This solution of mine keeps the ps3 much cooler, a result of better airflow. My horizontal res just got 200 lines of pixels added to it from this method. Though the pixelpipelines from the vertical shaders won't comply, thinking of using a copper alloy for the blu-ray laser head, ( yeah yeah I heard of the 3X Elevens being more prone to failing because of this ).

eb21heku8s.jpg

Thats how it starts my good man!

[Nintex]

rhubbard16 said:
I don't play any PS2 games on the PS3 sad to say, I have a launch PS2 that outputs 480i running through a Faroudja Native Rate Scaler to upconvert the image in an RGB colorspace set to SD CIE standards at 1024x768.
I cannot say if the enhancements have even come close to the clarity I get with the original PS2 and the scaler, I will get back to you on it.
What the fuck is a Native Rate Scaler, seriously lol

Truespeed

jim-jam bongs said:
C'mon man, you're smarter than this.

The explanation is "super" simple: the OP is a moron.

When I saw the thread title I was like
fnd0zr.jpg

then I started reading and I was like
wmkpyp.jpg

when reality set in and I was like
2ni0l76.jpg

and then I started
35a89kp.jpg

Craiji

I gave my Slim a spit shine and the water effects got better in GT5, I would throw some dirt in... but it seems like it would defeat the purpose.

Onemic

rhubbard16 said:

adanlsjdnlajfnlafnlafnlald

what the fuck are you saying? I will not be influenced by your technical jargon!

ElRenoRaven

jim-jam bongs said:
The truly amazing part about this thread is that it isn't front-page news on Kotaku yet.

I know. They're slacking. This load of BS should have been top story there early this morning and yet still not there.

[Nintex]

onemic said:
adanlsjdnlajfnlafnlafnlald

what the fuck are you saying? I will not be influenced by your technical jargon!
I bolted a 3D Multiplier on my 3DS screen and added extra memory bandwith by covering up the SD card slot with a USB stick to make it output a 1280x720 resolution in 4D. Easy stuff man, anyone can do it just do drugs.

Drkirby said:
You do not seem to know how a GPU actually works, nor the concept of how a settings file works.

A GPU is a digital component. It works, or it doesn't. Now, since a GPU is complex, it can be broken in a way that it still partially work, but this won't do things like reduce draw distance or make the textures smaller, it will cause random pixels to flicker, and shadows and lighting to break. At the very best, your setup may have reduced running temperature of the CPU and GPU. This though does not effect performance though, it effects stability and the parts life.

Also, console games these days still make use of Setting Files, similar to PC games. Except for a console, the setting file is read only, and not able to be adjusted by the user, or to be automatically reconfigured. The reason console games make use of setting files is to try and find the setup that gives a preferred performance to graphical fidelity ratio.
I am in no way claiming anything or even begin to articulate the base structure of the GPU.I am however sharing with you what i physicaly did to my PS3 and the effects it had and showing my results through a digital camera off my plasma.
It is right there in color do you see the draw distance or not!

rhubbard16 said:
I am in no way claiming anything or even begin to articulate the base structure of the GPU.I am however sharing with you what i physicaly did to my PS3 and the effects it had and showing my results through a digital camera off my plasma.

I looked really closely at your pics and something did jump out at me. So I enhanced it using my copy of Photoshop from 2050 and this was what I found:

placebo.jpg

sajj316 said:
Genuinely interested. Can you please post more screens validating this claim?
I will grab my SD card tonight and find more shots I took of GOW III and Uncharted.
thank you for your support.
I will aim to be more prepared in the days to come.

jim-jam bongs said:
I looked really closely at your pics and something did jump out at me. So I enhanced it using my copy of Photoshop from 2050 and this was what I found:

placebo.jpg
Yes really silly taste in music? Maybe being tone deaf?!

railGUN

Banned
rhubbard16 said:
I will grab my SD card tonight and find more shots I took of GOW III and Uncharted.

Why not just take new pictures? Although I know the answer to this question, I still feel compelled to ask.

soultron

Banned
rhubbard16 said:
Pull the camera out so I can see the PC hooked up to your plasma via HDMI.

Look L. Ron Hubbard, if that is your real name, if you can prove this I will gladly buy the Battlefield Earth collectors BluRay and watch it with improved draw-distance, but I won't be holding my breath.

soultron

Banned
I hear Motorstorm Pacific Rift has a screen capture option.

I'm so excited to see these amazing new grafix.

Jill Sandwich said:
I made a GUI interface using Visual Basic to track a killer's IP address.
Holy shit, you backtraced that fool?

sajj316

rhubbard16 said:
Thanks! Fellow GAFers, before we dismiss this upfront, I say that we give him an opportunity to make his case.

androvsky

rhubbard16 said:

I'd be more interested in seeing the setup you used to plate your power supply in three different metals, or you replacing the tiny surface mount capacitors on a launch PS3.

At least tell us what tech website we're baiting, so we can play along better.

Dexa

Banned
he physically modified the gpu of his ps3 so that it changes parameters of games graphics settings ... wait .. what ...
i´m out of here :)

railGUN said:
Why not just take new pictures? Although I know the answer to this question, I still feel compelled to ask.
No, I plan too.
My cellphone is open, We have just moved and I should have the theater set up by monday. If not I will use the old ones. Listen, I have been working on this while you guys were still pumped to play Resistance at 1366x768.
I am not going anywhere this is what it is. Kotaku or not I have done the work and taken pictures drive the first cocksucker to my house and I will open his gawd-ammned eyes too!
Cookie cutter my ass, I eat cookies for breakfast!

Venfayth

rhubbard16 said:
I am not going anywhere this is what it is. Kotaku or not I have done the work and taken pictures drive the first cocksucker to my house and I will open his gawd-ammned eyes too!

Hmm..

Very curious to see this as well, GAF is so mean with the guy, I highly doubt that rhubbard would write all of these details, which are clearly very technical, if he was full of shit, I mean, why would he just do this so methodically?!

I say, let's cut him some slack, he could be right, who knows?!

Hypatia

rhubbard16 said:
Kotaku or not I have done the work and taken pictures drive the first cocksucker to my house and I will open his gawd-ammned eyes too!

wat

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Very curious to see this as well, GAF is so mean with the guy, I highly doubt that rhubbard would write all of these details, which are clearly very technical, if he was full of shit, I mean, why would he just do this so methodically?!

I say, let's cut him some slack, he could be right, who knows?!

Jesus fucking Christ. I can write a highly technical explanation of how I am able to fly but if it still defies the laws of physics then it's bullshit.

Edit: and as for why he'd do it I would assume that, like a lot of people who have the vaguest notion that they've just been conned, he is doing this to try to convince himself that he wasn't taken for a ride.

androvsky said:
I'd be more interested in seeing the setup you used to plate your power supply in three different metals, or you replacing the tiny surface mount capacitors on a launch PS3.

At least tell us what tech website we're baiting, so we can play along better.
Funny guy, I started out plating and mig welding but I could not get the vents right. I have since used EMI and RFI spray coating in layers from MG Chemicals. Copper sheets are what I use to partition the componentry and then coat in rubber also a spray.

I will get more shots up later, like I said we have moved. I think I can upload to Flickr through my iphone and then attach to GAF tonight.

[Nintex]

rhubbard16 said:
Funny guy, I started out plating and mig welding but I could not get the vents right. I have since used EMI and RFI spray coating in layers from MG Chemicals. Copper sheets are what I use to partition the componentry and then coat in rubber also a spray.

I will get more shots up later, like I said we have moved. I think I can upload to Flickr through my iphone and then attach to GAF tonight.
Yes you and your brain have moved, to crazyville.

Top Bottom