• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boost | PS5 - Shadow of the Colossus, just like GoT and GOW, could receive a 4K/60 patch

Perrott

A couple of weeks ago, a Twitter leaker claimed that something Shadow of the Colossus related was being worked on for the PS5. I reached out to him but he couldn't explain to me what was all about, as he wasn't told any specifics other than "it won't be another remake" when he first heard about it.

It probably was just this, a next-gen patch for the game.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Interesting promo. At least it shows interest in boosting PS4 games. Let’s hope for more focused commitment going forward.

For real, I understand that 3rd party titles are a no-go because it's all in their respective publishers hands, but all Sony's exclusives should receive a 4K60 patch, there aren't that many games after all, so there's no excuse, especially if they're marketing it. TO1886, UC4, DC and so on, those games just beg to be played at 4K60.

Traxtech

I noticed that too when I watched this, hoping they just unlock the fps in 4k mode for the ps5 version and fix the LOD issues

DonJorginho

Banned
SHADOW OF THE JIMBOSSUS 🔥🔥

sotcse-screen-ps4-psx17-6-1512804662-wide-febd36900d7afc5066ced6ca431e31a4a2487605-jpg.png

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A couple of weeks ago, a Twitter leaker claimed that something Shadow of the Colossus related was being worked on for the PS5. I reached out to him but he couldn't explain to me what was all about, as he wasn't told any specifics other than "it won't be another remake" when he first heard about it.

Came here to comment this.

It was a leak that was instantly brushed aside because of SOTC. It'd be funny if it turns out to be true. I'll have to dig it up and see what other things that leak mentioned.

supernova8

Banned
The more I hear about QoL enhancements for older games, the more it makes me think we are not going to get many proper next-gen games for a while..

Is it this one?

These are his other tweets:

So Shadow of the Colossus PS5 would be a port of the remake of the HD version of the PS2 game?
I mean, it’s a good game but I find it difficult to believe.
I think he's trying to say that it won't be a "re-remake built from the ground up for PS5".
So a PS5 patch for the PS4 version would fit into what he's saying about not being a remake.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No doubt about it. This promo shows they are paying attention at least. First step to moving forward is acknowledging the situation.

Sony are steadily releasing new content for PS5. Why take the shine off that by promoting re-issues that generate more goodwill than income during a time of severe supply constraint on the hardware?

It should be noted that Playstation 5 and Xbox Series are in different positions generally as evolving offerings, and as such demanding one match the other makes little sense. MS are pushing hard on game boosts because it serves their business model at a time when their first party output isn't ready for primetime.

Now isn't the time for Sony to move on this, because they will need to counter when the first-wave of new product gets revealed by MS.

Shmunter

Sony are steadily releasing new content for PS5. Why take the shine off that by promoting re-issues that generate more goodwill than income during a time of severe supply constraint on the hardware?

It should be noted that Playstation 5 and Xbox Series are in different positions generally as evolving offerings, and as such demanding one match the other makes little sense. MS are pushing hard on game boosts because it serves their business model at a time when their first party output isn't ready for primetime.

Now isn't the time for Sony to move on this, because they will need to counter when the first-wave of new product gets revealed by MS.
Sure, but no 60 on Uncharted? Horizon? We need to draw the line of decency somewhere.

Bankai

Yet the majority of PS4 games see no benefit running on PS5.

These all run even better on PS5, especially when they have unstable framerates or dynamic resolution-scaling:

Za6VbuC.gif

So they're clearly bothered by Xbox's advantage in this area, so Cerny work your magic and bring PS3/2/1 (hell PSP and Vita while we're at it) BC to PS5 and don't half ass it! I had to bring out my PS2 to confirm i wasn't taking crazy pills when I downloaded Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha 1 and felt like the character was moving through mud and i remember all the SMT PS2 games running smoothly and sure enough yeah the PS2 BC on PS3 (at least the SMT titles) is horrible.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sure, but no 60 on Uncharted? Horizon? We need to draw the line of decency somewhere.

You simply cannot assume an equal degree of time/cost and opportunity to expend it.

Bothe Guerrilla and ND have projects deep in development, meaning that pulling engine-level staff off of them to patch old titles will potentially delay these more important ongoing games.

MS can do this because all their stuff is being done at driver level. That they can do this is a benefit of the virtualized approach they have taken historically with the OS design. Sony on the other hand have employed a hardware-level approach which means that changes of this nature are more intrusive, and with intrusion comes time/cost for additional engineering and validation work.

Burger

These all run even better on PS5, especially when they have unstable framerates or dynamic resolution-scaling:

Not what I'm referring to. Play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PS5. You can have lowres textures at 1080p 60. Or 4K @ 30fps.

That's not exactly 'game boost' is it. For the majority of the games in that list there is very little difference between PS4 Pro / PS5.

Shmunter

You simply cannot assume an equal degree of time/cost and opportunity to expend it.

Bothe Guerrilla and ND have projects deep in development, meaning that pulling engine-level staff off of them to patch old titles will potentially delay these more important ongoing games.

MS can do this because all their stuff is being done at driver level. That they can do this is a benefit of the virtualized approach they have taken historically with the OS design. Sony on the other hand have employed a hardware-level approach which means that changes of this nature are more intrusive, and with intrusion comes time/cost for additional engineering and validation work.
I don’t buy for 1 second a framerate unlock is intensive engineering work. Sure there could be exceptions where logic is framerate dependent, but then I also don’t buy it in the context of modern engines. User hacks to to e.g bloodborne demonstrate this all too well.

The only thing left here for me to consider is shady deals being planned to milk customers on bullshit remasters that should be free upgrades to existing users, or not even exist. Seen it with Spideman.

Prove me wrong Jimmy boy!

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don’t buy for 1 second a framerate unlock is intensive engineering work. Sure there could be exceptions where logic is framerate dependent, but then I also don’t buy it in the context of modern engines. User hacks to to e.g bloodborne demonstrate this all too well.

The only thing left here for me to consider is shady deals being planned to milk customers on bullshit remasters that should be free upgrades to existing users, or not even exist. Seen it with Spideman.

Prove me wrong Jimmy boy!

Dude, Nier Replicant came out last month and still had problems when framerates exceed 60fps!

It simply cannot be assumed that any code will work under different conditions than it was originally QA'd without additional validation passes. If the game was only ever released on PS4 then those are the conditions under which it was validated, even with PRO -which has a relatively small delta performance wise- Sony hedged their bets with the boost function just in case of unexpected issues presenting themselves.

The duration of *any* test cycle is a product of the title's content, an RPG is going to take longer to check than a simple linear title like a fighting game or a track-bound racer. QA bandwidth is not unlimited, and until that test cycle has been completed successfully staffing on projects assigned cannot be safely reallocated in case faults are found and need to be remediated.

Its not a small thing from a management/HR perspective.

And as I've said repeatedly before, any corporate entity has nowhere close to the freedom (to only partially succeed) that is enjoyed by independent and community modders. At best you get embarrassing roll-backs as has just occurred with Returnal, at worst you get platform security issues and potential for legal action.

As someone who prefers to play on PlayStation, you are way better off over on Xbox regarding third party games enhancements. I still hesitate to play last gen games on my PS5, since a lot of them still run at capped 30fps.
For example, i own Fallout 4 both for PS5 and PC, and even though i would like to play it on the console, i will have a way better experience playing the game on PC. On Xbox, the game is at least running at 60fps and i would have probably played it on the console in that case.

But despite all of that, i think it's great that Sony is at least commited to patching their first party games. They could have literally done nothing in terms of boosting their games and call it a day, so at least we should appreciate that.

KellyNole

The more I hear about QoL enhancements for older games, the more it makes me think we are not going to get many proper next-gen games for a while..

I wouldn’t say that. You give this task to the new guys. Also, the game is already made, it is an cheap way to get people who bought the ps5 and don’t have these game to buy them.

Shmunter

Dude, Nier Replicant came out last month and still had problems when framerates exceed 60fps!

It simply cannot be assumed that any code will work under different conditions than it was originally QA'd without additional validation passes. If the game was only ever released on PS4 then those are the conditions under which it was validated, even with PRO -which has a relatively small delta performance wise- Sony hedged their bets with the boost function just in case of unexpected issues presenting themselves.

The duration of *any* test cycle is a product of the title's content, an RPG is going to take longer to check than a simple linear title like a fighting game or a track-bound racer. QA bandwidth is not unlimited, and until that test cycle has been completed successfully staffing on projects assigned cannot be safely reallocated in case faults are found and need to be remediated.

Its not a small thing from a management/HR perspective.

And as I've said repeatedly before, any corporate entity has nowhere close to the freedom (to only partially succeed) that is enjoyed by independent and community modders. At best you get embarrassing roll-backs as has just occurred with Returnal, at worst you get platform security issues and potential for legal action.
I don’t disagree with you, but I also believe that a good majority of titles fall into nothing more onerous than essentially a config setting with an immediate bug free outcome. Even with the QA, etc. on balance it all amounts to practically nothing in comparison to the effort of developing a complete title.

One thing Xbox has demonstrated, even with a system level hack, countless modern games just get on with it. The fragility of execution under this scenario must be increased, yet results are positive.

I will not concede in cutting Sony any slack here.

vkbest

Good for people who buy new consoles to play old games. To me, no fucks given.

Play old games? there are a ton of games will release this and next year exclusively in older gen with no PS5/XSX version. That is because Sony is moneyhatting PS5 ports to offer PSN+ like Wreckfest.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Play old games? there are a ton of games will release this and next year exclusively in older gen with no PS5/XSX version. That is because Sony is moneyhatting PS5 ports to offer PSN+ like Wreckfest.

Biomutant? Excited for the game, but will wait for PS5 version instead.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don’t disagree with you, but I also believe that a good majority of titles fall into nothing more onerous than essentially a config setting with an immediate bug free outcome. Even with the QA, etc. on balance it all amounts to practically nothing in comparison to the effort of developing a complete title.

One thing Xbox has demonstrated, even with a system level hack, countless modern games just get on with it. The fragility of execution under this scenario must be increased, yet results are positive.

I will not concede in cutting Sony any slack here.

Its still a legacy problem though; if the PS4 graphics API wasn't black-boxed (as in devs could pull key things like Vsync pulses in several ways) then they are fundamentally stuck with doing it on a per-title basis, which is where they run into all the issues I described in my post.

It seems to me that Sony have basically stuck with their Russian Doll approach to hardware, where the idea is that they attempt to replicate the legacy systems performance profile, and run old code directly, rather than through an additional abstraction layer.

Its all a product of fundamentally different architectural philosophies that each lean on the traditional expertise of their vendors. Sony being primarily a hardware company, MS a software company.

nowhat

It's never the games you want. Ever!

Really pisses me off!
If you're able to get a disc copy and don't patch it, apparently it's pretty much rock-solid 60fps, the initial release came with an unlocked frame rate. Perhaps not helpful if you already have a digital copy, but just in case.

Top Bottom