• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy PS5 or wait for PS6 ?

HighPoly

Banned
Well guys...

I got my Xbox Series X and I'm pretty happy with this console.
I know I have amazing games to play through this generation.

But, Neil Druckman is making The Last of Us Part 3.
This game is by far the best Playstation game in my opinion.
But I don't see anything as important as The Last of Us to make me buy a PS5.
Except a Jak and Daxter return, maybe an Uncharted sequel or a great classic GOW remake.
I could get two more consoles, like, the next Switch and maybe the PS5.
So, even if ND announce The Last of Us Part 3 for PS5...

Would it be worth buying a PS5 in my case, in this generation??
or
Should I keep playing gamepass, maybe buying the next Nintendo Switch, until the PS6 launching?

Mr.Phoenix

At this point, and this would be the first time anyone can say this and not be a troll...

Sell your XSX, buy the PS5. You will get access to all third-party games, including Xbox games and Sony exclusives. Crazy I know, but that seems to be the world we live in now.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll be getting the Ps5 Pro whenever it appears.
IatL7j.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If all you want is one game then wait until that game is close to coming out.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
The question would make sense if it was asking about waiting for the PS5 Pro. Only a moron would wait for the PS6 in 2024.
I don't know...
It happens because developers and Sony are talking about PS6
I know, rumors...
But Sony has recently spoken about PS6, then Microsoft made the same about next Xbox...

Anyway, we're in the middle of this life cycle, and I can't see any reason to buy a PS5, except Last of Us or maybe some old franchise...

I was thinking about a PS6, because maybe I could play my most awaited Last of Us, and then would be prepared for what's next..
But Ok, ok... I know ND, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch and BEND haven't shown their projects yet...

Maybe some of them, take my breath...

Last edited:

kyussman

If I could get conformation Death Stranding 2 will be on PS6 then I would just sit out this gen.....it's the only game on the horizon I really need to play.

HighPoly

Banned
If I could get conformation Death Stranding 2 will be on PS6 then I would just sit out this gen.....it's the only game on the horizon I really need to play.
I understand you

Well, I hope the next ND, Santa Monica and BEND STUDIO titles make any sense to me...

Hudo

I mean, it is quite obvious that the PS5 Pro is not powerful enough. You should wait for the PS9 Pro.

SHA

I don't think we'll see a smooth transition to $80 cap as we moved to $70, if proved that I'm wrong then the Ps6 is a better choice, cause buying a newer console is safer for games price hike uncertainties, it's uncertain then why I should put my trust on a suspicious brand? common sense.

HighPoly

Banned
If you wait long enough you’ll just die and it won’t matter. Think of how much you’ll save!
ok

that is the best answer ever made ! ! !

I'm not kidding!

I really need to understand I'm smart, but mortal...

When ND announce Last of Us 3, I'll buy their machine...

Perrott

Gold Member
How about waiting for Naughty Dog to even announce the game before thinking about making any purchase decisions? Hell, it isn't even their next game. At this point in time, this question is like asking which console you should buy for Physint.

Regardless of all that, the home console to buy this year or for the remainder of the generation is the PS5 Pro, which comes out in November.

Last edited:

skyfall

Wait untill PS6 games have to stop being cross platform with the series s, then get it, or get the ps6 pro, this probably when we will first actually start to see a jump

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Wait untill PS6 games have to stop being cross platform with the series s, then get it, or get the ps6 pro, this probably when we will first actually start to see a jump
Ok, you are making fun of this...
I need to tell you, that I'm dreaming of PS8

Generic

I'm not sure if the PS6 will be backwards compatible (or even have a disc-drive) so a PS5 would be a safer choice.

Wait for the PS5 Pro maybe?

Raonak

Banned
Start building up your new library now.

PS5, or wait a bit for PS5 Pro

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Well guys...

Except a Jak and Daxter return, maybe an Uncharted sequel or a great classic GOW remake.

or
Should I keep playing gamepass, maybe buying the next Nintendo Switch, until the PS6 launching?
Ps7 is where it's at.

But ps8 might eventually come out. So I guess you shouldn't buy anything

Eiknarf

Banned
Well guys...

or
Get a PS5

There’s Ghost of Tsushima, God of War Ragnarok, Last of Us Part I and II, SpiderMan 2, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection etc

Not to mention the trigger effects and haptic feedback that the Dualsense offers

Last edited:

buenoblue

Personally im not jumping in till PS10. It just doesn't make sense till then. In the meantime im just gonna read broadsheet reviews of games till then.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't know...
It happens because developers and Sony are talking about PS6
I know, rumors...
But Sony has recently spoken about PS6, then Microsoft made the same about next Xbox...

Anyway, we're in the middle of this life cycle, and I can't see any reason to buy a PS5, except Last of Us or maybe some old franchise...

I was thinking about a PS6, because maybe I could play my most awaited Last of Us, and then would be prepared for what's next..
But Ok, ok... I know ND, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch and BEND haven't shown their projects yet...

Maybe some of them, take my breath...

Dear OP, what would make more sense:

A) Buying a PS5 right now and being able to play every single PS5 exclusive including TLO3 in 2027, i.e. four years of use before the PS6 is released
B) Buying a PS5 for TLO3 in 2027 and get 1 year of use out of your purchase before the PS6 is released

In my opinion playing the waiting game is sheer stupidity if you already know you're going to buy that PS5 anyway. That's why I'm always buying consoles on day 1.

Eiknarf

Banned
Dear OP, what would make more sense:

A) Buying a PS5 right now and being able to play every single PS5 exclusive including TLO3 in 2027, i.e. four years of use before the PS6 is released
B) Buying a PS5 for TLO3 in 2027 and get 1 year of use out of your purchase before the PS6 is released

In my opinion playing the waiting game is sheer stupidity if you already know you're going to buy that PS5 anyway. That's why I'm always buying consoles on day 1.
Yeah, the "waiting game" is never a good option, because if you can convince yourself to "wait just a little bit longer", than you can wait even longer. And if you can wait even longer, then you can wait indefinitely. You'll just keep giving yourself reasons to wait, and then you just end up hurting nobody but yourself.

Because at the end of the day, you are depriving yourself of a small pleasure in life.

I'm not saying to be an "early adopter" and buy shit as soon as it comes out...etc.

And this poor-logic of "over-waiting" applies to anything and everything!

"Should I wait for a sale on that couch? Oh, but maybe it'll be cheaper if I wait!"
Well, now that style is out and a better style is in.

(If you keep the "cycle of waiting" going, it never ends, because there's always the next thing. So dont wait. Waiting = depriving.)

"Should I ask that girl out? Maybe I'll wait until next week."
Well, now someone else asked her out. And she said yes to him.
Or maybe she gets sick next week and isnt around to ask out...etc

Stop waiting.

Last edited:

yurinka

Why should you wait for PS6? It's going to be released in late 2027 or 2028, and the games will be BC. You'd be always waiting for the next one. I'd get a PS5 slim, that comes with 1TB.

And if you want to wait a bit, I'd wait instead for the PS5 Pro which apparently should release this fall.

PS5 not only has a ton of next gen only great games not available in Xbox, you can also play there a ton of great PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita titles playable on PS5 that aren't available on Xbox. And you have most of these PS1-PS5 great games in PS+ Premium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom