• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Director Faceoff: Hideki Kamiya vs Shinji MIkami

Ezalc

Mikami made RE4 and Godhand which I love, but Kamiya made Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and Bayonetta.

It's a tough call, but Kamiya edges out Mikami on this just barely.

As a huge fan of horror games I have to give it to Mikami. Even without the horror stuff, Mikami has been involved in a ton of different games and helped launch quite a few careers (Kamiya included.)

Evil Within is great too.

Lernaean

Banned
It is impossible for me to pick one over the other, but i'll answer this thread just for the sake of it. Note that the difference is smaller than a grain of sand.

Mikami is the director of my GOAT, RE4. He also is the director of two of my favorite games of all time, RE(make) and The Evil Within.

Kamiya is the director of numerous of my favorite games of all time, and i mean all his games.

Winner is Mikami, just for the GOAT.

Zaku

One made Vanquish

I think we know who the winner is

So I'm going to go ahead and call this a vote for Mikami.

Speaking of which, ladies and gentlemen... If you say "[Insert game here] is the best" without expressly giving your vote to the other guy or otherwise qualifying it, I'm giving the vote to the guy who made that game.

As a huge fan of horror games I have to give it to Mikami. Even without the horror stuff, Mikami has been involved in a ton of different games and helped launch quite a few careers (Kamiya included.)

Evil Within is great too.

Been having a blast with The Evil Within, though I'll admit I just quit out in frustration the other night. I walked up to a chest-high wire and crouched to go under, and Castellanos promptly headbutted the wire, detonating the mine and calling down two enemies I didn't want to fight.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm going to try and tackle this somewhat objectively (in terms of my own subjective opinion of their whole gameography, as in not just say one of them made RE4 and that's it).

Resident Evil 4 - A perfect ten.
REmake - Amazing.
Vanquish - The best playing TPS so far.
Resident Evil - Excellent for the time.
Dino Crisis - Not bad.
God Hand - Meh.
P.N.03 - Rubbish.
The Evil Within - Only played two chapters, but not good so far.

Bayonetta - Only dethroned by its sequel.
Devil May Cry - Only dethroned by its sequel's sequel.
Viewtiful Joe - Great.
Resident Evil 2 - Very good.
Okami - Good.
The Wonderful 101 - Meh.

It's closer than it should be given RE4, but I still have to give it to Mikami. Regardless, they are two of the very top developers in the industry, and I'll always be watching what they release.

jsnepo

That's a really good question...

Kamiya - consistent high quality
Mikami - has reached higher quality but not consistent

Oreoleo

Well, even though I think REmake and Vanquish are the best games listed in the OP (though RE2 and Bayo more than hold their own), consistency matters when deciding who is "better" and for that reason I have to give the nod to Kamiya.

Slixshot

Banned
Kamiya. Dude is crazy entertaining on social media, made some of the best character action games which are simply absurd. I've enjoyed his games more, so he wins!

manfestival

Shinji Mikami because Kamiya is one of the biggest douchebags in the gaming industry. His twitter is basically projectile vomit in the form of words. Plus there is a double standard allowed for Kamiya simply because hes been the chief of some great games. Which is a shame.

Shinji Mikami because Kamiya is one of the biggest douchebags in the gaming industry. His twitter is basically projectile vomit towards annoying people who ask stupid questions repeatedly that have already been answered. Plus there is a double standard allowed for Kamiya simply because hes been the chief of some great games. Which is a shame.

fixed

Zaku

so the twelve people who recognize those names can vote right

Ikeda btw cuz ddp

That's why I listed all the games they directed, because I'm sure there are people who don't know who Kamiya or Mikami are, let alone those guys.

Yea RE2 clowns anything Mikami has done, sorry

I haven't done a tally yet, but so far it wouldn't surprise me if Mikami might come dangerously close to Kamiya. Page 1 looked bleak for him, but Page 2 and 3 (so far) are pretty close. It's going to be a lot closer a fight than that prediction thought.

Timeaisis

Kamiya is a better designer, MIkami is a better director (or producer?).

The reason I say that: Kamiya's games always are more creative, unique and fun. But a little rough around the edges with a lack of focus.

Mikami, on the other hand, has a great sense of detail and focus that make a game greater than the sum of it's parts (for example, Resident Evil 4). They may not have the most unique or interesting mechanics, but they are more well put together.

Anyway, I enjoy Kamiya's games more, but that's just my two cents. They are both pretty great. I miss them working together. They complement eachother well.

Neff

Mikami essentially created a genre and then reinvented the whole damn thing which ended up spawning even more imitators in its wake. Historically, Mikami is a king compared to Kamiya.

Mikami's contributions to gaming can never be praised enough, and I don't think he gets enough credit for what he's achieved. He's literally shaped the mainstream landscape, twice. That's mind-boggling when you think about it.

Although I think Kamiya deserves some credit for DMC. There really wasn't anything like it at the time. It came out of nowhere and rocked the gaming world for a while.

Air

Banned
I love Kamiya, but Mikami changed things with re4 (he also changed things with resident evil, but I never played it myself). Kamiya on the other hand, unfortunately doesn't have genre revolutionizing games imo (haven't played bayonetta yet). So while Kamiya may be good, Mikami has simply stretched his arms out further. I think if or when Kamiya is able to create a genre defining game, he will surpass Mikami.

Kamiya.

As much as I love Resi 4 and Vanquish, I'd say Kamiya is more consistent. You just know a game is good when he directed it.

Can't wait for Scalebound.

Danielsan

I love Kamiya, but Mikami changed things with re4 (he also changed things with resident evil, but I never played it myself). Kamiya on the other hand, unfortunately doesn't have genre revolutionizing games imo (haven't played bayonetta yet). So while Kamiya may be good, Mikami has simply stretched his arms out further. I think if or when Kamiya is able to create a genre defining game, he will surpass Mikami.
I'm sorry but what? Kamiya did exactly that. Devil May Cry is the father of the current action game genre.

DMC was kamiya genre defining game.

Astral Dog

For me, is Kamiya, all games he directed are special and high quality in their own way, even if some have flaws.

Mikami,, his big masterpieces were RE 1 and 4, and are two of my favorite games, but i feel he has not directed anything approaching that quality or setting since then. Maybe he lacks something on his team?

Carbonox

Two of my favs but it will always be Kamiya for Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, two of my favourite games of all time.

Mikami's made more games I enjoy though. Resident Evil (remake), Resident Evil 4, Vanquish, Dino Crisis, etc.

They are probably the only two directors whose games I will blind buy without hesitation. Can't really pick between them.

Ever since I saw this picture, I wondered what a game produced by Kojima, designed by Kamiya and directed by Mikami would be like. Might be a mess - but one I would love to play/see. Like that Alien sequel by Cameron+Scott we never got.

e5QAqGK.jpg

Kamiya. He's the father of stylish character action and platinum (the best devs in the business now) wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for his games.

Shinji Mikami because Kamiya is one of the biggest douchebags in the gaming industry. His twitter is basically projectile vomit in the form of words. Plus there is a double standard allowed for Kamiya simply because hes been the chief of some great games. Which is a shame.

Sounds like someone is on kamiya's block list.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Kamiya has more consistency, but RE4 is way better than anything he has done.

But when you look at the games as a whole, its Kamiya, IMO.

Kuraudo

Banned
Resident Evil is my favourite series and I love God Hand and Vanquish, so Mikami.

But Kamiya made one of the best RE games and Okami and DMC, so maybe him.

This is like asking which of my girlfriend's breasts I prefer.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Shinji Mikami because Resident Evil 4 is a better product than anything Kamiya has developed.

Further than, Kamiya was trained under Mikami.

Top Bottom