• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May Cover Reveal: Final Fantasy XV

Philippo

I'm sad at the level of presence Luna will have. She seems cool and I'd have liked to interact with her more. It's not that I'd want her in the party, but it sounds like she'll mostly appear in tiny cutscenes.

Though aside from Ignis and Luna, I can't say the character bio's do much for me.

The worst part is that there's no bio for Cor, who is clearly the best character.

But we've already got confirmed she'll join the party for some time iirc
I think the whole "girl that is distant from you" will only last say half of the game, just to build up the hype for her first meeting with Noct.

Famassu

My theory is that under the original scenario, the Insomnia opening gave room for Noctis to be more brash/naive/free spirited. I think the game was originally going to be more of a slow burn opening inside Insomnia in which Noctis was a powerless and modern prince.

Under the new scenario it seems Noctis has his powers from the get go? Instead of inheriting them when perhaps Regis dies, he has them already as its been dictated by his birth. It also seems the game gets more serious a lot quicker now, similar to VI, VII, IX and XIII, opposed to VIII, X and XII which have slower starts.

The scenario changes probably plays the biggest role in the character changes.

VersusXIII/XV in 2013: Insomnia is attacked by Nifelheim whilst Noctis is in the city, they kill Regis and escape with the crystal. The base story is a road trip in which you try to reclaim the crystal and enact revenge.

XV: Insomnia is attacked by Nifelheim whilst Noctis is out of the city, they kill Regis and occupy the kingdom/crystal. The base story is a road trip in which you flee and also find a solution to reclaim the kingdom and enact revenge.

The original scenario definitely appealed to me a lot more, because I vastly prefer slow burns in all mediums, however, I think the road trip aspect still leaves plenty of room to develop/flesh out Noctis even if we don't get that at the beginning now.
Noctis was originally the protector of the crystal and had some powers to be able to do that. Not sure if he still is in the current storyline, but I never got the impression that Noctis was supposed to be powerless at first. Seems the ring stuff is something he'll inherit, but all the sword magic he has had for quite some time and it's something he's somewhat proficient in from the start, both in the old story and the new.

Koozek

Short new clip from a Twitter preorder promo cut:
https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/721030474085191681

ezgif-2193703519.gif

Squire

Banned
I haven't read any of the bios, old or new, but that's because I don't really see the point. These characters will win you over or turn you over time, through the game. I think it's best way with the type of story they want to tell, in particular.

Go_Ly_Dow

Noctis was originally the protector of the crystal and had some powers to be able to do that. Not sure if he still is in the current storyline, but I never got the impression that Noctis was supposed to be powerless at first. Seems the ring stuff is something he'll inherit, but all the sword magic he has had for quite some time and it's something he's somewhat proficient in from the start, both in the old story and the new.

Read the dialogue in the Versus 2011 trailer. It reads as if his powers awaken during the Insomnia attack.

VersusXIII/XV in 2013: Insomnia is attacked by Nifelheim whilst Noctis is in the city, they kill Regis and escape with the crystal. The base story is a road trip in which you try to reclaim the crystal and enact revenge.

XV: Insomnia is attacked by Nifelheim whilst Noctis is out of the city, they kill Regis and occupy the kingdom/crystal. The base story is a road trip in which you flee and also find a solution to reclaim the kingdom and enact revenge.

The original scenario definitely appealed to me a lot more, because I vastly prefer slow burns in all mediums, however, I think the road trip aspect still leaves plenty of room to develop/flesh out Noctis even if we don't get that at the beginning now.

This sounds very plausible. I like a slow burn too, was looking forward to bumming around Insomnia and getting to know the characters before the adventure really kicked off. Wonder if the quicker start is part of compressing the story definitively into one game.

The road trip may be lengthy indeed -- I'm psyched for a meaty journey. Though after the GI podcast, I'm now anticipating lots of: "lol, why do I have to drive for five minutes between points of interest?" complaints.

The onus is of course on Biz Division 2 to learn from games like GTA or more recent example, the Uncharted 4 jeep gameplay to figure out how to make driving sequences engaging either via dialogue or different stuff.

Ultimately, being a road-trip game, you need to sell the experience.

The onus is of course on Biz Division 2 to learn from games like GTA or more recent example, the Uncharted 4 jeep gameplay to figure out how to make driving sequences engaging either via dialogue or different stuff.

Ultimately, being a road-trip game, you need to sell the experience.

True -- I just hope they don't overdo it with the during-trip banter and such. At least for me, some of that downtime, to just drive, take in the sights, listen to the radio, think about where I've been and where I'm going, all that is an essential part of a roadtrip, and brings the moments of interest into sharper contrast. I find games like GTA and what I've seen of U4's jeep gameplay overdo it sometimes, and it feels a bit forced/intrusive.

that art
is this gonna be "Daddy Issues" the Game?

Not like FFX if that's what you're thinking. From everything we've seen, Noctis doesn't hate his father, or feel overshadowed by him or whatever. He seems to have deep love and respect for his father, but regret that his father's duties kept them apart much of the time. This then might feed directly into Noctis' own ambivalence about taking on the responsibilities of the throne.

Ambitious

Do we already know how summons are going to work in the final game?

In Duscae, which I have not played, the "Summon" prompt appears when Noctis' health gets too low. But what about the specifics?
Can you also manually summon or does it only work when you lose too much health? How often can you summon? Once per battle? Once per battle per summon? As soon as some bar is filled (like a Limit Break)? Can you switch/select summons during a battle or do you have to equip it beforehand?

I think that's the part of the song from the Reclaim the Throne trailer because you can hear at the end of the video the beginning of that trailer music. Anyway the soundtrack will be something else.
rewatched the reclaim your throne trailer and you're right! The OST will be amazing.

chefbags

https://youtu.be/qNaWt-mM41M

Game Informer also released their hands on impressions of the first chapter. Some really good information in here. It's around 28 min long.

Edit:it's more like a podcast vibe. The video that plays in the background are just trailers that have already been released so far.

TheTux

https://youtu.be/qNaWt-mM41M

Game Informer also released their hands on impressions of the first chapter. Some really good information in here. It's around 28 min long.

Edit:it's more like a podcast vibe. The video that plays in the background are just trailers that have already been released so far.

That's a part of the podcast they released last week.

You can find the 2 hour version here (the video you posted is the part where they talk about FFXV).

TheTux

And they only include one monster in the article ... sans the initial gameplay footage and interview with Tabata, this coverage has been kind of disappointing so far.

Yeah this particular article is kinda disappointing, they could go a bit more indepth on the monster creation.

I wouldn't call the coverage disappointing, it's just about release new small pieces of information. I'm happy that they're not spoiling the game.

And they only include one monster in the article ... sans the initial gameplay footage and interview with Tabata, this coverage has been kind of disappointing so far.

That is my feeling too. Usually, with western games we get some meaty gameplay footage. FFXV has been a strange case. We have seen quite a lot so far, but the actual unbroken gameplay has been a pretty poor indicator of the flow of the game.

brad-t

Yeah this particular article is kinda disappointing, they could go a bit more indepth on the monster creation.

I wouldn't call the coverage disappointing, it's just about release new small pieces of information. I'm happy that they're not spoiling the game.

Yeah, but I think there's a lot they could show that wouldn't spoil, e.g. character progression, item synthesis, equipment, battle tactics, etc.

Yeah, but I think there's a lot they could show that wouldn't spoil, e.g. character progression, item synthesis, equipment, battle tactics, etc.

Square's going to want to hold things back so they can continue to talk about it going forward to maintain a steady flow of hype.

Funny thing is, even with all we know, it still seems like they just scratched the surface of this game. In a way, I prefer that. I hope they don't release near-end game footage later on in trailers, similar to what they did with FFXIII.

raven777

The next ATR is today, right?

yes, but..

Final Fantasy XV ‏@FFXVEN
Hi everyone, just letting you know the #FFXV ATR on April 21 will be in Japanese only without subtitles.

Final Fantasy XV ‏@FFXVEN
The plan is to talk to our Japanese fans about things happening in Japan which aren't really relevant to our western fans.

wmlk

At most, I'd say it's realistic to expect videos of the Environment trailer since we have everything else already. The ATR will probably be nothing but a recap of Uncovered.

Top Bottom