• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a medieval world. People grow up quickly through necessity. I'm glad they aged them for the show, but in the books it still makes sense.

I agree, and within the book's logic I accept that. However, actually seeing the characters is another matter entirely. I've been raised in a world where adulthood supposedly begins at 18; seeing a 16 year old leading an army is risible to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Really doubt we'll get Oberyn until season 4.

ASOS
I can see them including this, otherwise there is really nothing for Tyrion to do all season. Just have him do nothing and marry Sansa. Seems boring. I see it playing out like s1 and Ned. Have Jeoffey's death in 2nd to last episode with the finale having the trial. Other stuff can more easily be stretched out.

Heck, I wont be surprised if, to play up Millisande's powers, they have the Red Wedding and Jeoffeys wedding happen at the same time. That would also work as a Season finale, but again it seems like it would be a boring season for Tyrion.

Just a few chapters from finishing ASOS, the way I see S3 ending...

Arya is told about the wedding by the Brothers without Banners. She doesn't have to be at the Twins. She runs way and meets The Hound.

Jon escaped the wildlings returns to Castle Black

Jamie returns to Kings Landing

Dany takes Asapor

Can't think of what to do with Stannis though. Unless they rush through Jon's arc to get him to the Wall, there's not much for Stannis to do either. Then again, Davos only had a few chapters in the book.

Iksenpets

Banned
ASOS
I can see them including this, otherwise there is really nothing for Tyrion to do all season. Just have him do nothing and marry Sansa. Seems boring. I see it playing out like s1 and Ned. Have Jeoffey's death in 2nd to last episode with the finale having the trial. Other stuff can more easily be stretched out.

Heck, I wont be surprised if, to play up Millisande's powers, they have the Red Wedding and Jeoffeys wedding happen at the same time. That would also work as a Season finale, but again it seems like it would be a boring season for Tyrion. Have S3 end with Arya bing caught by The Hound, Jon returning to the wall, and Dany taking Asapor. They don't even really need to have Arya at the Twins for the wedding. Another change might be her hearing about the wedding from the Brothers, running away and being captured by The Hound then.

ASOS & some minor AFFC
I don't think there's any way we're getting Joffrey's death in season 3. Honestly, if I were writing it I would even push the Red Wedding to the beginning of season 4, really take people off guard with major deaths in like episode 2. Jon's escape from the Wildlings, Arya's kidnapping by the Hound, Bolton revealing his betrayal and freeing Jaime, and Dany defeating Yunkai are enough for a good finale. I would end it there, then have season 4 open with Stannis and his leeches. Episode 1 of season 4 could then end with Balon's death to show it coming true, then RW in ep2 or 3, Joffrey's wedding around episode 5, Tyrion captivity and trial spread over the next few episodes, and then he kills Tywin in the finale.

That would set season 4 up as being about as eventful as they can make it, maybe give the showrunners their best shot at taking a best drama prize in awards season. And it helps with the budget. Season 3 is already packed with new actors they have to pay for. Pushing the need to cast Oberyn and any other Dornish they have him travel with (I think they may have him travel with Arianne to give an introduction to her and to better communicate her outrage at his death that leads to later events in Dorne) and any of the miscellaneous Freys to season 4, when they don't really have to pay for many new actors at all, except maybe some of the Greyjoys, frees up a lot of money.

Even if they keep the RW in season 3 though, rushing Joffrey's death into season 3 as well would really screw with the pacing. Season 4's King's Landing plot would be nothing but the trial, and having Tyrion locked away restricts the sort of new material you can make to stretch things. Plus, Joffrey's wedding really depends on coming after the Red Wedding to have its full impact. The wedding is a full-fledged victory party for Joffrey. His enemies are decimated, everyone's here for his giant party, he's getting the hot girl, and then disaster strikes in a totally unexpected way. There's a lot of satisfaction the viewer gets from seeing him smacked down from such a high point that you don't get if he doesn't go into the wedding aware of the fact that the Starks are destroyed and his war is won.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
^
Man I should have finished before I clicked that. Read something I shouldn't have, though I already knew that
Tywin died
, but I didn't know how.

Give me an hour to finish the last few chapters and I'll respond.

Iksenpets

Banned
^
Man I should have finished before I clicked that. Read something I shouldn't have, though I already knew that
Tywin died
, but I didn't know how.

Give me an hour to finish the last few chapters and I'll respond.

Fix the tag!

And sorry you clicked. I feel bad spoiling, even when I know I did everything I could to prevent it. :(

ASOS
But, if you were anything like me, you saw the how coming. It was pretty heavily foreshadowed, I thought.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I strongly recommend people who haven't read ASOS stay far away from this thread. I wouldn't want to take any chances whatsoever.

I would agree with this. I had a few things spoiled that I would rather not have been. Though most spoilers came from searching for forgotten info on wikis. The main wiki has a list at the top with what books characters appear in, and when it stops at a certain point... you know...

A few things just confirmed what I was anticipating.

ASOS
Not being a POV character, I figures Robb was not long for the world

woober

http://store.hbo.com/game-of-thrones-distressed-lannister-sigil-t-shirt/detail.php?p=370344

00370344-510220_catl_500.jpg

Not bad. Anyone know how the quality of their t-shirts are?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And sorry you clicked. I feel bad spoiling, even when I know I did everything I could to prevent it. :(

No worries. Was my own fault for clicking it, and I was almost to the last Tyrion chapter of the book anyways.

ASOS & some minor AFFC
I don't think there's any way we're getting Joffrey's death in season 3. Honestly, if I were writing it I would even push the Red Wedding to the beginning of season 4, really take people off guard with major deaths in like episode 2. Jon's escape from the Wildlings, Arya's kidnapping by the Hound, Bolton revealing his betrayal and freeing Jaime, and Dany defeating Yunkai are enough for a good finale. I would end it there, then have season 4 open with Stannis and his leeches. Episode 1 of season 4 could then end with Balon's death to show it coming true, then RW in ep2 or 3, Joffrey's wedding around episode 5, Tyrion captivity and trial spread over the next few episodes, and then he kills Tywin in the finale.

That would set season 4 up as being about as eventful as they can make it, maybe give the showrunners their best shot at taking a best drama prize in awards season. And it helps with the budget. Season 3 is already packed with new actors they have to pay for. Pushing the need to cast Oberyn and any other Dornish they have him travel with (I think they may have him travel with Arianne to give an introduction to her and to better communicate her outrage at his death that leads to later events in Dorne) and any of the miscellaneous Freys to season 4, when they don't really have to pay for many new actors at all, except maybe some of the Greyjoys, frees up a lot of money.

Even if they keep the RW in season 3 though, rushing Joffrey's death into season 3 as well would really screw with the pacing. Season 4's King's Landing plot would be nothing but the trial, and having Tyrion locked away restricts the sort of new material you can make to stretch things. Plus, Joffrey's wedding really depends on coming after the Red Wedding to have its full impact. The wedding is a full-fledged victory party for Joffrey. His enemies are decimated, everyone's here for his giant party, he's getting the hot girl, and then disaster strikes in a totally unexpected way. There's a lot of satisfaction the viewer gets from seeing him smacked down from such a high point that you don't get if he doesn't go into the wedding aware of the fact that the Starks are destroyed and his war is won.

ASOS
I still think that would make for far to boring of a third season. Not much happens at King's Landing in the book. Tyrion is wed, and then Jeoffey's wedding. Other than that it's really just Tyrion brooding and being miserable.

ASOS
I still think that would make for far to boring of a third season. Not much happens at King's Landing in the book. Tyrion is wed, and then Jeoffey's wedding. Other than that it's really just Tyrion brooding and being miserable.

ASOS spoilers
Yeah you just have to realistically look at Tyrion in ASOS and accept that he doesn't do much until the fallout of Joff's wedding. It is actually fitting that he doesn't do much as his power and recognition has been upset by his father, and he is forced to live in that new situation for a while. Of all the events that you could argue are worth moving events around in the TV show for, I don't think there is much in Tyrion's arc that makes a strong case to move events up for in the show.

MNC

So what was the one called that got locked up with Ducksauce? I usually remember the names as "Irri & Jiqhui"...

Massa

ASOS SPOILERS

ASOS

ASOS SPOILERS
One of the changes made to Tyrion's story on the show is having Shae and his future wife being close together and good friends, another is that he cares a lot more about Shae than he did on the books (where it seemed to me he cared more about Tysha).

I think they're going to use both these changes to make the first half of Tyrion's involvement in ASOS more eventful than it was in the books, and that will make for his arc in season 3. I'm also guessing Tywin will play a bigger role on the show and a lot of that will have to do with Tyrion.

Zalasta

What a yawn-tastic panel. Martin is a terrible moderator. Bad questions, awkward transitions and poor humor. The exchanges between him and Theon was just cringe worthy. One of the worst I've seen.

Apparently Diana Rigg has been cast as the Queen of Thorns, which, if true, is FUCKING AWESOME.

Anyone else heard this? My apologies if I'm late.

EDIT: Yup, I'm late. Still awesome, though.

ASOS SPOILERS
One of the changes made to Tyrion's story on the show is having Shae and his future wife being close together and good friends, another is that he cares a lot more about Shae than he did on the books (where it seemed to me he cared more about Tysha).

I think they're going to use both these changes to make the first half of Tyrion's involvement in ASOS more eventful than it was in the books, and that will make for his arc in season 3. I'm also guessing Tywin will play a bigger role on the show and a lot of that will have to do with Tyrion.

ASOS SPOILERS
Tryion and Tywin scenes will be fucking great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS SPOILERS

ASOS Spoiler
I hope so. I was honestly a little disappointed that there was not more back and fourth before he was killed in the book. Seemed too sudden. Tyrion has a big mouth and he seemed to restrain himself.

Conor 419

Banned
Ellie Kendrick's adaptation of Meera Reed was love at first sight for me, I can't wait to see the character in action.

Also, surprised to see Shireen being played.

tmdorsey

ASOS SPOILERS

ASOS
]Me personally, I'm waiting on the scene with Tyrion, Tywin, and Cersei where Tywin lays down the law on them(Tells Tyrion he's marry Sansa, and tells Cersei his plans for Tommen and her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom