• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones The Game |OT| Yet Another GoT OT

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Thanks. I'm getting it from Amazon with the $0.98 release day shipping. It can't be *that* bad can it? I mean, Atlus doesn't publish shitty games does it? It had to have interested them somewhat for them to grab it.

Oh well, if it sucks, lesson learned. Don't buy from unknown developer, even if IP is great. :p

Well..The Cursed Crusade was completely horrible.

Looks like it has the production values of an Xbox1 game.

Is this a situation similar to the Vivendi-Universal Lord of the Rings games, where the publisher has the rights to the novels, but not to the likenesses of the actors or art design of the filmed adaptation?

Thanks to HBO,Cersei Lannister will be voiced by Lena Headey herself and will look like her, same thing with Jeor Mormont and Varys(and will be voiced by James Cosmo and Conleth Hill)these are the confirmed ones so far.

And here what the devs said
I don't want to spoil too much about the characters in the games, but, simply put, every characters from the TV Show that appears in the game has received the voice from the actor in the show.

zroid

Banned
Atlus is posting samples from the art book on their facebook page

536597_385985968107156_269075233131564_987915_1215353481_n.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Atlus poster another concept art ( the wildlings
savage people from north of the wall
)from the artbook
crLcV.jpg

RPGCrazied

It doesn't look that bad honestly. I'm more concerned with PS3 preformance then anything else, considering they haven't shown any clips of it at all, its been nothing but the 360 version. I'm sure the review sites will give it around a 6.5 - 7. I'm hoping anyway. At least the voice acting sounds solid. I'm mainly impulse buying this for the art book. If the game sucks, I guess I'll ebay it or something, lol.

El-Suave

Is there any way to get the artbook in Europe? Amazon.com doesn't ship here and I haven't found any alternatives. No European stores seem to carry it either.

BTW our German cover for the game is quite ugly in my opinion:
51QX40NIK4L._AA300_.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It doesn't look that bad honestly. I'm more concerned with PS3 preformance then anything else, considering they haven't shown any clips of it at all, its been nothing but the 360 version. I'm sure the review sites will give it around a 6.5 - 7. I'm hoping anyway. At least the voice acting sounds solid. I'm mainly impulse buying this for the art book. If the game sucks, I guess I'll ebay it or something, lol.

It's an UE3 game, it's also Cyanide first PS3 game...so yeah the performance of PS3 version will most likely be crap.

Why on earth is he wearing glasses? Do those actually exist in the Seven Kingdoms?

Well..it's just a cameo. (they need to put his hat by the way)

Is there any way to get the artbook in Europe? Amazon.com doesn't ship here and I haven't found any alternatives. No European stores seem to carry it either.

No artbook for Europe, the artbook is all Atlus doing and European publisher is Focus Home Interactive.

XAL

Why on earth is he wearing glasses? Do those actually exist in the Seven Kingdoms?

Yes, I think so, though no characters in the books have been described as wearing glasses (to my best recollection).

Glass is rare commodity and exclusively made somewhere east of Westeros (the people who make it keep the process by which it is made to themselves) and is VERY VERY expensive. Winterfell actually has a large greenhouse for growing food when the northern climates are at their harshest.

Jubern

I read a while ago in Canard PC (good/best? PC gaming publication in France) how the whole deal went for the rights. Cyanide supposedly got the rights to A Song of Ice and Fire from EA for little money only a few weeks before HBO announced the series production, that's some amazing luck.

Also, the preview I read in said publication empathized pretty heavily on how nuts some of the people on this are about ASoIaF, all the crazy stuff they did in order to be sure they got everything right story-wise, Martin implication and enthusiasm... I guess if everything fail, the story part should be be good, at the very least.

Simo

Hm this isn't out yet? I thought it came out last week as the Walmart in my area had 2 copies of the 360 version available today.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hm this isn't out yet? I thought it came out last week as the Walmart in my area had 2 copies of the 360 version available today.

They might have had them out early because of Atlus's terrible marketing. It comes out Tuesday.

Still wish Bethesda had decided to do the game. Sure they would have managed to have a terrible story, but it would have been fun to walk around and explore at least a portion of Westeros.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Buy it and post some impressions and be our savoir.

They might have had them out early because of Atlus's terrible marketing. It comes out Tuesday.

apparently Atlus think Twitter spam is enough marketing for this game.

Still wish Bethesda had decided to do the game. Sure they would have managed to have a terrible story, but it would have been fun to walk around and explore at least a portion of Westeros.

I think CD Projekt Red is better suited for Song of Ice and Fire.

Shahadan

Atlus poster another concept art ( the wildlings
savage people from north of the wall
)from the artbook
crLcV.jpg

Nice. Too bad you see them only in the first hour of the game ! (and yet can spend talents to do more damage to them)

Okay, okay I'll stop now v_v

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nah, Bethesda may be lacking in some departments, but creating a large explorable world is something they do extremely well and that's all I want. The Witcher 2 was good, but not the kind of game I'd prefer.

Song of Ice and Fire with Bethesda shitty writing is just useless,If your just want The Elder Scrolls VI:Westeros with an open world to go nuts in and a completely stupid story and characters, then you don't want what make Song of Ice and Fire novel and show good.

I will. I should get it on Tuesday, whenever UPS decides to deliver it. I'm getting release day shipping from Amazon.

That good, i'll be waiting for your impressions.

let hope it don't suck..or at least don't suck badly.

mrpeabody

They have done a terrible job of marketing this. It's right up my alley and I had no idea it was coming out this week, or even what kind of game it was, until I read this thread.

jayb

I'm expecting this to have mediocre reviews, lowish sales, and a quick price drop. With that said, I still can't wait to play it.

AColdDay

Me and jayb are brothers in the Nights Watch apparently.

I did not like the way DA:O played, I know that this will get low reviews and will probably be 15 bucks by July, but I am so fucking excited for this game.

Alrix

I'm definitely gonna buy this, but will wait for bomba this summer. Too much backlog right now, just got done with finals so it's about time to start mowing through it.

Volcynika

They have done a terrible job of marketing this. It's right up my alley and I had no idea it was coming out this week, or even what kind of game it was, until I read this thread.

The publisher markets this way usually all the time. Shows off demos at sites and certain events, sends out emails on their newsletter a lot, etc.

Song of Ice and Fire with Bethesda shitty writing is just useless,If your just want The Elder Scrolls VI:Westeros with an open world to go nuts in and a completely stupid story and characters, then you don't want what make Song of Ice and Fire novel and show good.

If I want story I have the books or the show. I'd rather have a fully imagined world to explore and kind of live in not some semi-linear RPG.

RPGCrazied

That good, i'll be waiting for your impressions.

let hope it don't suck..or at least don't suck badly.

Actually I changed my mind. I will get this after reviews and a price drop. I'm not going to take a chance on a developer I have no clue who they are. Even I like the IP a lot. I'm getting the Diablo 3 CE instead. :p

Hell no. Give this to From Software. Dark Souls is like the perfect compliment to this series. It's dark and brutal. The game doesn't need a book-like narrative and can survive on the same trappings of the spatial storytelling present in DS. It would be great.

border

The publisher markets this way usually all the time. Shows off demos at sites and certain events, sends out emails on their newsletter a lot, etc.

That might work pretty well for a small but enthusiastic grassroots audience that enjoys hardcore JRPGs and keeps abreast of gaming news, but for a licensed title with much broader appeal it's not very good. They are going to end up leaving a lot of money on the table just because they can't reach a lot of the potential audience. If the game is average or mediocre and they don't have any pre-launch awareness, then the post-launch sales will kill them even if people do start to find out about the game.

I get the sense that everyone involved in this project just got lucky by scoring the license before it came a super-hot commodity. The were able to get the license cheap in a way that fit their small budget. The problem is that their budget is still small. The developer doesn't have the money or skill to throw any real production values at it, and the publisher doesn't have the resources to do a lot of traditional promotion.

I still suspect it will be the best game ever based on an HBO show, if that's anything to crow about :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Actually I changed my mind. I will get this after reviews and a price drop. I'm not going to take a chance on a developer I have no clue who they are. Even I like the IP a lot. I'm getting the Diablo 3 CE instead. :p

broken promise :(

Hell no. Give this to From Software. Dark Souls is like the perfect compliment to this series. It's dark and brutal. The game doesn't need a book-like narrative and can survive on the same trappings of the spatial storytelling present in DS. It would be great.

So it's "give this to my favorite developer" now ?Thing is,just like Bethesda, From Software aren't suited for what Song of Ice and Fire is all about,From can't do heavy and smart multi layered stories with complex political stuff( let be honest Dark/Demon/Otogi have like zero stories) From guys will shit their brains out if they even tried doing that.

I didn't say CD projekt Red because they are my favorite dev (they are not), but because they proved with their work on the Last Wish/Witcher 1 and 2 that they are capable of doing something very close to what make a Song of Ice and Fire very great while in the same time can make solid RPG game with big rich atmospheric world.

Speevy

Banned
So it's "give this to my favorite developer" now ?Thing is,just like Bethesda, From Software aren't suited for what Song of Ice and Fire is all about,Song of Ice and Fire ,From can't do heavy and smart Multi layered Stories with complex political stuff( let be honest Dark/Demon/Otogi have like zero stories) From guys will shit their brains out if they even tried doing that.
d.

It's a start. At least the gameplay wouldn't be crap.

Bethesda was actually offered A Song of Ice and Fire, but turned it down. They can create that huge world environment like no one else. It would have been so awesome to walk from Winterfall to the Wall, maybe check out the Dreadfort as well.

Vlodril

Bethesda was actually offered A Song of Ice and Fire, but turned it down. They can create that huge world environment like no one else. It would have been so awesome to walk from Winterfall to the Wall, maybe check out the Dreadfort as well.

A game of thrones game with crappy story would be a crappy game of thrones game.

Astra

I agree, Bethesda crafts a beautiful world, and they would have been great for this project. Hire some freelance writers for the story, for sure.
I was playing Skyrim, and thinking how amazing it would be if I were exploring Westeros in this fashion. I keep calling Winterhold Winterfell.

Ah well, the path not taken. If this is as bad as that post earlier makes it out to be, I really hope they find a new developer for any future titles, or simply have no more. I'll hold out some foolish hope that this will turn out to be decent, at the very least.

A game of thrones game with crappy story would be a crappy game of thrones game.

Having a wonderfully crafted open world set in Westeros, with the ability to explore anywhere, stroll the Kingsroad, explore the Riverlands, and maybe even venture as far as the Land of Always Winter would be an amazing Game of Thrones game.

Top Bottom