• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones The Game |OT| Yet Another GoT OT

A game of thrones game with crappy story would be a crappy game of thrones game.

Bethesda is capable of a level a bit above crappy. The story is in the book if you want it. I'd much rather have an open world experience than a game that redoes the book or TV show's story (which would be impossible), or have some new story crafted by some shitty videogame writer that wouldn't match up anyway. You know, play to the stregnths of what a game can do that a book or TV show can't for a different experience.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I just want to stress that you should be very cautious about this game. Wait for reviews, especially if you were crazy enough to want it depite lacking money these days.

Like I said in the other thread, I know people who were working on this. I'll be a little bit more specific this time.
To be perfectly clear, this is a game that wants to be big but lack the budget, the talent and the direction to back it up.

They didn't know what to do with the combat system and redid it from scratch multiple times. They didn't have any experience doing this type of game. They got in contact with MArtin and his assistant twice at most. The "Martin approval" thing was just to be sure that the storyline doesn't contradict the books and future books.
Writing is bad and doesn't match the books or the show at all. On top of that remember that a French team did it (with a guy as lead writer who was described to me as "an idiot and Anakin Skywalker fan"), and the french translation of the books are atrocious and chaotic. Now imagine that then translated in english.

I won't even bring up the horrible balancing and the graphics.

Watch for reviews. It will tell you want you need to know. This will fool no one. When people working on a game use "unplayable and zero fun" to describe it, there is little hope.
Destroyer of hopes, canceler of preorders.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm still getting it for those wanting impressions, but I doubt I'll play much of it since you know... Diablo.

Plus, by the time I post impressions, I imagine reviews will have hit.

smr00

Banned
After seeing the "Behind the Wall" video, it got me even more excited.

Am i expecting a AAA game? no but i expect a fun game which is why i play games and i for one don't mind playing as new characters because i have read all the books and why would i want to play a game where i know the fate of the character? It's like the walking dead show, if they didn't make changes i wouldn't watch it because i know everything that is going to happen and it's why i like it.

Game looks REALLY fun and i am super excited to get my hands on it.

Rootbeer

Banned
hope a review or two slip out before the 15th... trying to convince myself to order the steam version but i have zero faith in cyanide studios. It's difficult to reconcile that with my love for the asoiaf novels and the new HBO show.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hope a review or two slip out before the 15th... trying to convince myself to order the steam version but i have zero faith in cyanide studios. It's difficult to reconcile that with my love for the asoiaf novels and the new HBO show.

Well PC people can wait, the people in problem are the console guys who want the Game+artbook pre order bonus which will not be available after 15th of this month.

Atlus doing it completely wrong really, no demo is a huge mistake here, also review embargo is stupid and wont help them getting more sales (Cyanide has horrible track record so far, sure this game is their "big chance" but you can bet on the Novels and Show fans to blindly getting the game), even the big sites didn't got previews copies of it, most info we get are from no name sites and the game play video they posted on youtube.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm still getting it for those wanting impressions, but I doubt I'll play much of it since you know... Diablo.

Plus, by the time I post impressions, I imagine reviews will have hit.

Also, note that I'm super positive and generally like most games. I'm critical of big budget triple a titles, but i'll give anything mid to lower tier dev studios more of the benefit of a doubt.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Also, note that I'm super positive and generally like most games. I'm critical of big budget triple a titles, but i'll give anything mid to lower tier dev studios more of the benefit of a doubt.

almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar. lol

It's ok, just focus on facts (combat system, side quest, how dialogue system work,quality of RPG elements ,chapters length,story/quality of writing, performance on you platform..ect)

Nice. Too bad you see them only in the first hour of the game ! (and yet can spend talents to do more damage to them)

... well.

That... settles it.

I'm not buying this game.

That.... that is a horrible fucking design and it absolutely boggles me that they left it in.

Astra

Got a call from EBgames, and they tell me it will be available Tuesday, and they're also doing a midnight launch Monday night. Must be for Diablo, and people can pick up any other games coming out that day at the same time.

I'll probably go just to be sure I get an artbook.

Ybdiu.jpg

Well PC people can wait, the people in problem are the console guys who want the Game+artbook pre order bonus which will not be available after 15th of this month.

Atlus doing it completely wrong really, no demo is a huge mistake here, also review embargo is stupid and wont help them getting more sales (Cyanide has horrible track record so far, sure this game is their "big chance" but, but you can bet on the Novels and Show fans to blindly getting the game), even the big sites didn't got previews copies of it, most info we get are from no name sites and the game play video they posted on youtube.
They probably didn't make a demo for a reason. I'm thinking they don't have enough confidence in the game to show it to people early. That or time/money constrictions.

controller
I preferred the picture that had "press Y as Cersei to tear paper." lol

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Got this today:

5153c89c9df711e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg

Curious to dig into it. I'll post some impressions tomorrow. Too bad it comes the day before Diablo III hits.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
http://i.imgur.com/Ybdiu.jpg[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote="aidan, post: 37864227"]Got this today:

[img]http://distilleryimage8.instagram.com/5153c89c9df711e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg

Curious to dig into it. I'll post some impressions tomorrow. Too bad it comes the day before Diablo III hits.[/QUOTE]

Post some impressions already.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Waiting patiently for aidan's impressions.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Astra

Really a shame. I don't understand why they can't give you a code or voucher you can send to Atlus for an artbook.

Really a shame. I don't understand why they can't give you a code or voucher you can send to Atlus for an artbook.

Ya, they could have done a pdf or you have to buy from atlus' site and then you get a code to download on steam and they just ship the book... Just disappointing is all.

cj_iwakura

broken promise :(

So it's "give this to my favorite developer" now ?Thing is,just like Bethesda, From Software aren't suited for what Song of Ice and Fire is all about,From can't do heavy and smart multi layered stories with complex political stuff( let be honest Dark/Demon/Otogi have like zero stories) From guys will shit their brains out if they even tried doing that.

Did you even play the Souls games? They had better plot and world building than RPGs with hours upon hours of shoddy dialogue.

Political intrigue is great and all, but done well, I'll take minimalist style dark fantasy any day of the week.

d0c_zaius

Just picked it up! Went with the 360 version since its Unreal and I got burned by my last unreal engine game on PS3. I'll post some impressions in a couple of hours.

Too bad this launched same day as Diablo 2 and MP3 :(

edit: ouch reading Shahadans comments makes me not want to open this until I hear more impressions.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just picked it up! Went with the 360 version since its Unreal and I got burned by my last unreal engine game on PS3. I'll post some impressions in a couple of hours.

Too bad this launched same day as Diablo 2 and MP3 :(

edit: ouch reading Shahadans comments makes me not want to open this until I hear more impressions.

So now even the guys with the game don't want to give us impressions :/

Haunted

I just want to stress that you should be very cautious about this game. Wait for reviews, especially if you were crazy enough to want it depite lacking money these days.

Like I said in the other thread, I know people who were working on this. I'll be a little bit more specific this time.
To be perfectly clear, this is a game that wants to be big but lack the budget, the talent and the direction to back it up.

They didn't know what to do with the combat system and redid it from scratch multiple times. They didn't have any experience doing this type of game. They got in contact with MArtin and his assistant twice at most. The "Martin approval" thing was just to be sure that the storyline doesn't contradict the books and future books.
Writing is bad and doesn't match the books or the show at all. On top of that remember that a French team did it (with a guy as lead writer who was described to me as "an idiot and Anakin Skywalker fan"), and the french translation of the books are atrocious and chaotic. Now imagine that then translated in english.

I won't even bring up the horrible balancing and the graphics.

Watch for reviews. It will tell you want you need to know. This will fool no one. When people working on a game use "unplayable and zero fun" to describe it, there is little hope.
That's the most positive preview of the game I've read so far.

Release date meant this was sent to die anyway.

Astra

So now even the guys with the game don't want to give us impressions :/

We're all going to sit here with our unopened copies, telling each other they should play and give some impressions. Who among us is brave enough to take the plunge?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the most negative OT since Dragon Age II?

I think so...

cj_iwakura

I think so...

I hope to be proven wrong, but it's not looking good.

I want Atlus USA to succeed, but they need better taste in what they publish. They can't rest on Atlus JP's laurels forever, though I wish they could.

Astra

I think so...

That's funny since a few people in the GoT gameplay thread were saying it is what Dragon Age II wanted to be, or should have been. Now it may turn out to be a disappointment just the same.

I hope to be proven wrong, but it's not looking good.

I want Atlus USA to succeed, but they need better taste in what they publish. They can't rest on Atlus JP's laurels forever, though I wish they could.

They've been around for 20 years, so they must be doing something right. I love Atlus for their publishing of niche titles over here.
They aren't very good at choosing western titles to publish, though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I think so...

I dunno,unlike DA2 there is no demo and no one here played it yet, even the guys with copies of the game are just scared because of Shahadan's post ( who also didn't played it) and outside of his post there is no positivity or negativity here since we know nothing about it so far.

That's funny since a few people in the GoT gameplay thread were saying it is what Dragon Age II wanted to be, or should have been. Now it may turn out to be a disappointment just the same.

to be fair that was based on the combat system since that what the video showed and it looked good.

however the dev track record and the lack of info,reviews and demo is made my really worried about the game quality.

We're all going to sit here with our unopened copies, telling each other they should play and give some impressions. Who among us is brave enough to take the plunge?

lolz

Top Bottom