• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Some Of The Weird Ways I Spent My Time In Yakuza 0

Past

I know some of you might be fed up by all the Yakuza threads, but this is the first piece of preview of the game so I thought it would be worth posting.

I’ve been looking forward to Yakuza 0 for some time. The setting seemed interesting (Tokyo in the ‘80s), and it seemed like a good starting point for a series that I’ve never spent much time with. I’ve been playing it for about a week now, and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it so far. Even though the story is a tale of betrayal and honor, antihero Kazuma Kiryu doesn’t have to approach the proceedings with a laser focus. Sure, I’ve been working to avenge my name after getting framed for murder, but that hasn’t stopped me from farting around town. Here are some of the ways I’ve been killing time during my adventure.

Hangin’ Out In Arcades
If there’s one thing Sega is good at, it’s delivering heaping parcels of fan service to its players. In Yakuza 0, you can visit Sega arcades and waste time (and Yen) playing games. Kiryu may look like a tough customer on the outside, but my version of him finds claw machines absolutely irresistible. I’ve spent more time than I’d care to admit trying to get virtual stuffed prizes, like a puffy Sega Genesis or Fantasy Star’s Opa Opa. The physics are realistically evil, with moments where you’re fooled into thinking you’re going to win, only to have the prize slip from the claw at the last moment – landing in seemingly impossible-to-claim positions. You can play arcade games, too. I played a game of Space Harrier and instantly regretted it. Did I really like this game when I was younger? Sometimes, you can’t go back…

Smashin’ A Urinal With Some Dude’s Face
There’s a lot to do in Tokyo, but some people just want to get in your way. Every few blocks, you’re interrupted by various thugs, goons, delinquents, gangsters, and other ne’er do wells. That’s when it’s time to go from clawing machines to clawing faces. The game’s combat is fairly loose (at least where I am in the skill-tree standings), but fun. You have several different combat styles that you can switch out on the fly, including Beast style, which mimics the face-raking tiger stuff you may remember from old kung-fu movies, and one that puts more of an emphasis on quick strikes and dodging enemy attacks. Bigger battles also have QTE moments in them (are we sure this isn’t just Shenmue?), where success grants you a fancy flourish – such as cracking a persistent enemy’s face into a urinal. Crime isn’t glamorous, kids.

Rest of the article: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/y...e-weird-ways-i-spent-my-time-in-yakuza-0.aspx

I can't believe we're already in January and this game is out soon. A Yakuza game is weeks away and I have no time to play it because of so much other stuff to get through.

Woe is me.

Gigarator

veYKRuF.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This sounds amazing! The GIFs from various other threads have convinced me to try this!

eHsDo8m.gif

Awesome !

Can't wait for this game .. excitement is getting through the roof. Wondering if I should pre order at GS to get 'the business' edition or wait for regular.. what does GAF say ?

I love the fact that every one who plays these games comes to the point the story has become serious and dire but they still can't messing with kiriyu. I'm all about the karaoke mini games.

Femto.

Is Yakuza 0 a prequel to the first game or a remake of the first game? I haven't played the series and I'm dying to dive into it.

I´m so excited. First Yakuza game for me. The word of mouth and gifs on the whole series have sold me.

And the later this year Kiwami. Aww lord.

Staf

I've never played or heard of Yakuza before. When i saw this thread i as usual hit youtube.com and searched for "Yakuza 0 gameplay" to see what this is about. All i got was a guy in suit dancing during a mini-game. What. The. Hell. Is. This. Game.

StereoVsn

Business edition!

I believe Best Buy also has Business Edition, so if you have GCU that's the place to order. Also, Amazon Prime may have it as well.

Edit:
I've never played or heard of Yakuza before. When i saw this thread i as usual hit youtube.com and searched for "Yakuza 0 gameplay" to see what this is about. All i got was a guy in suit dancing during a mini-game. What. The. Hell. Is. This. Game.

The game is all about show business in Japan in the 1980s. You can compete in Karaoke, Dancing, Club Management and other options to become the best in Japan.

Most of the gameplay involves beating up dudes in the street with your fists or whatever you can find, like pipes or bikes or trashcans. It's kind of like a 3rd person brawler and a third person adventure game with lots of side content and mini games. Very story focused, very Japanese, very awesome.

This game is almost two years old? How was it received in Japan/by Japan GAF? Does it do anything significantly different or better than 3 and 4?

The game is all about show business in Japan in the 1980s. You can compete in Karaoke, Dancing, Club Management and other options to become the best in Japan.
What? That's a very inaccurate description man.

Story wise Yakuza is a crime drama. And when it comes to gameplay it's an action stylish 3D brawler with many RPG elements and tons of mini-games. One of the mini-games/side activities in Yakuza 0 is about being a business man. The story itself is much more personal to main characters and revolves around their connections to the Tojo clan.

This game is almost two years old? How was it received in Japan/by Japan GAF? Does it do anything significantly different or better than 3 and 4?
One of (if not the) best in the series. The biggest change is the addition of styles to the combat which have made the gameplay much more enjoyable. Each character has 3 styles that you can switch in-between on the fly. Also, many people consider it to have one of the best cast of characters and storylines within the series.

I haven't played the game myself but the impressions from import thread were glowing.

Clive

Stoked for this one. I'ma bit sad I have less time for gaming right now than I had for previous entries in the Yakuza franchise so I might be forced to just play the story mostly and miss out on some of these "weird ways". Still going to be one of the best games of 2016.

adamsapple

Generally how long are these games(just the story)

8~ hours if you just main the story content, but these games always have a *HUGE * number of side quests, including management sims which can easily make them 20+ hour endeavors.

8~ hours if you just main the story content, but these games always have a *HUGE * number of side quests, including management sims which can easily make them 20+ hour endeavors.
O just 8 hours? Pfft I'll be fine. Managed 70+ hours outta ffxv between November and now. I should get enough outta yakuza and KH before horizon

Generally how long are these games(just the story)
It's different for each title. I think I beat Yakuza 5 around 50-55 hours mark (though I did some side activities).

For the main story alone how long to beat has these numbers:
Yakuza 3: 19 Hours
Yakuza 4: 24 Hours
Yakuza 5: 42½ Hours

WHAT!? Which Yakuza game can you finish in 8 hours? These games are much longer than that man.

adamsapple

It's different for each title. I think I beat Yakuza 5 around 50-55 hours mark (though I did some side activities).

For the main story alone how long to beat has these numbers:
Yakuza 3: 19 Hours
Yakuza 4: 24 Hours
Yakuza 5: 42½ Hours

WHAT!? Which Yakuza game can you finish in 8 hours? These games are much longer than that man.

Well .. I never main just the story :p going off of the amount of content and time it takes for story missions to complete .. I would never not do the side quests :p

@Blackleg-sanji1 don't listen to me, I may have misled you :p

Thinking back on it, the game's usually have a good few hours of just cut-scenes.

Oh, nice. I didn't know Yakuza 0 is on how long to beat as well. And 24hrs is similar to Yakuza 4 which I felt was just the right amount to spent on main story so that's good to know as well.

Well .. I never main just the story :p going off of the amount of content and time it takes for story missions to complete .. I would never not do the side quests :p
I know you were estimating but come one man 8 hours is just way too short. How did you even wound up with that number :)

Top Bottom