• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamePass isn't for everyone and that's something alot of people don't get

What's the big deal? We already live in a world where it's acceptable to pay a sub to play online. And where DLC riddled, unfinished games is the norm.

anothertech

lol

Games matter. The service doesn't.

If I want to play an Xbox exclusive, I pay 10$ and play the game for a month. Great deal. But honestly, there hadn't been a game i wznt to play over there for quite some time.

Abear21

Banned
It’s not for everyone but it’s optional, for now, so that’s a great thing.

Sony forces your to buy PS Plus to play online so the fact there are B-Tier or older games on it is a knock for sure but it’s all one package.

At least Xbox gives you new games, even though they go away eventually and you lose access.

That’s the one advantage of Plus, I’ve had it since the start of PS3 and I still have access to every ps plus game ever put out...I’ve also paid out the ass if you add up all the months!

Count me in for team 'Gamepass is the best value in gaming today'. I have thoroughly enjoyed at least 2 dozen games that I never would have paid full retail for.

Are you people really going to tell me you wouldn't sign up day 1 If Sony launched a GP of their own, with all 1st party software day and date?

It's not for everyone, but most people picking up the XSX at launch will buy into it. I fully anticipate Sony to roll out something very similar for the PS5 in a year or two.

teezzy

Banned
People are still fighting against digital games.

It's going to take forever before people accept streaming.

It’s strange to me that some people think of PS Now or GamePass as replacements for buying the games they really want to play more of.

I think they’re best treated as “try before you buy” services. They’re great at helping me narrow down which games are fully worth my money.

Vawn

Banned
My issue with GamePass is it comes with a completely new philosophy surrounding games.

There are two main groups of games being created for GamePass. The first is smaller, lower budget AA games. These are the types of games to pad out the library. The games aren't necessarily bad, but most wouldn't be the types of games many would buy outright. Games such as Grounded, Tell Me Why, etc.

The other category are Games as a Service. These appear to be replacing traditional AAA games. While these are still high-budget games, they are meant to be played for years and supported via microtransactions, paid dlc and GamePass subscriptions.

Sea of Thieves is a current example. Halo Infinite is said to be the last Halo for 10+ years and will remain a work in progress after its launch (like SoT was/is). Fable hints at having MMO elements will likely be similar. And even the new Forza Motorsport dropped the numbers and appears to be a single game that evolves with DLC and add-ons throughout the generation.

Maybe people like this model, but I'm not a fan. It almost feels like free-to-play games behind a monthly subscription paywall.

DavidGzz

It’s strange to me that some people think of PS Now or GamePass as replacements for buying the games they really want to play more of.

I think they’re best treated as “try before you buy” services. They’re great at helping me narrow down which games are fully worth my money.

All XGS games will be on there forever so why would I buy them? I can see some games that are worth playing through multiple times and are about to leave the service, otherwise...

Hezekiah

Banned
Amen. Don't like it don't buy it, simple as it is. But at the same time don't cry like a little bitch that games are 60-70$ .
Tbf I don't think many gamers are bitching about game prices, and I think current game sales bear this out (Covid-19 notwithstanding). And as someone mentioned earlier, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Take2 etc aren't bringing their games to GamePass on day one any time soon so people will still be buying full-price games regardless.

MiguelItUp

Some things aren't for everyone, that's just how it goes. Everyone has their own preference and opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

For me, I've enjoyed it as there were a number of games I was interested in present. Plus, there are more to come.

Will it continue to be sustainable and successful? I'm sure we'll find out in due time.

As long as they have a title or two that I'm interested in, it's beyond worth it for me.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

My issue with GamePass is it comes with a completely new philosophy surrounding games.

There are two main groups of games being created for GamePass. The first is smaller, lower budget AA games. These are the types of games to pad out the library. The games aren't necessarily bad, but most wouldn't be the types of games many would buy outright. Games such as Grounded, Tell Me Why, etc.

The other category are Games as a Service. These appear to be replacing traditional AAA games. While these are still high-budget games, they are meant to be played for years and supported via microtransactions, paid dlc and GamePass subscriptions.

Sea of Thieves is a current example. Halo Infinite is said to be the last Halo for 10+ years and will remain a work in progress after its launch (like SoT was/is). Fable hints at having MMO elements will likely be similar. And even the new Forza Motorsport dropped the numbers and appears to be a single game that evolves with DLC and add-ons throughout the generation.

Maybe people like this model, but I'm not a fan. It almost feels like free-to-play games behind a monthly subscription paywall.

This has been happening and will happen without Game Pass. There has always been smaller Indy games and games as a service(MMO's are older than most people posting here). Do you think cheaper Indy games and games like the Avengers game coming out would cease to exist without this service? Game Pass is just an option to play them all for cheaper if you have the time. For those that don't, like the OP, you can stick to buying everything separate.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Amen. Don't like it don't buy it, simple as it is. But at the same time don't cry like a little bitch that games are 60-70$ .

This notion that game pass is causing games to go GaaS is insane. The entire industry is doing it. Long before game pass.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I would have hated gamepass 20 years ago because I loved most video games that came out and wanted to buy them

Now? I think modern gaming is mostly trash and not worth $30 let alone $70

Gamepass is perfect for looking through the dump for that rare good game

Hezekiah

Banned
Since Game Pass (2017) you can't compare sales numbers anymore and you always have to think of the player base. 13 million with a user base of 115 million is not that impressive for a crowd puller name that profited from the cinema hype. That's about 11%. Halo 5 for example sold 5 million copies within 3 months and by that time not even near 20 million Xbox Ones were sold. Or Nintendo. Several Switch games were sold >15 or even >20 million times with a user base of just 55 million. That's impressive.

The Game Pass Ultimate is interesting for core gamers on Pc, Xbox and with xCloud also on tablets and smartphones.

But it's also interesting for casuals, because most of the masses games are multiplayer games and Game Pass Ultimate is not much more expensive than Gold and gives you a lot more like xCloud that is also very interesting for casuals.

Game Pass will make it's way, they have already more then 10 million subscribers (yeah yeah i know, they ALL just paid 1 buck).
That the wrong way to look at it, and it's certainly not the way Sony and Microsoft look at it.

If a game sells 13m copies, then it's safe to assume it's generated $600m+ in revenue. A good chunk of that is profit for the platform-holder, and the game will have attracted gamers to their hardware and it's their bottom line that counts. They're a business after all.

GamePass might have 10m subs, but it's not generating profit and we know this because Microsoft refuses to release the financials. That is the main reason for Sony and Nintendo not doing the same thing. It might be good for consumers, but it's not beneficial for their bottom line, and right now they are making a shit load of cash from their gaming divisions so why change things? I really don't think it will be that hard for them to implement their own GamePass service if that changes - they have the infrastructure, and at the end of the day, content is king.

turtlepowa

Banned
That the wrong way to look at it, and it's certainly not the way Sony and Microsoft look at it.

If a game sells 13m copies, then it's safe to assume it's generated $600m+ in revenue. A good chunk of that is profit for the platform-holder, and the game will have attracted gamers to their hardware and it's their bottom line that counts. They're a business after all.

GamePass might have 10m subs, but it's not generating profit and we know this because Microsoft refuses to release the financials. That is the main reason for Sony and Nintendo not doing the same thing. It might be good for consumers, but it's not beneficial for their bottom line, and right now they are making a shit load of cash from their gaming divisions so why change things? I really don't think it will be that hard for them to implement their own GamePass service if that changes - they have the infrastructure, and at the end of the day, content is king.
I highly doubt they made $600m+ in revenue with this game. That's an average price of 46 bucks, but it was already down to 35 bucks within 2 month after release, in some countries even 30 bucks and 20 bucks since 2019. Also Sony spends tons of money on advertisements. For a single Spider-Man tv spot just in die USA they spent 10 million dollars. I don't even want to know how much it was worldwide with vv, radio, online ads, billboards and so on. I think the game was profitable in the end, but not too much.

But you are right, Sony makes exclusive games hoping for people buying their console and of course many 3rd party games and PS+, because that's where the money lies. Personally i don't think it works that way, because people that are interested in exclusive games are often core gamers with a gaming pc and why would they spend money on online gaming or games in worse quality? I never played asingle 3rd party game on my PS4 or paid for PS+. It's no coincidence that Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn are coming to Pc. In my opinion Sony is testing how much money they make with this. Like you said, they're a business after all.

Of course you can't immediately make money with Game Pass. Not even Netflix could. You have to spend money to make money. Sony and especially Nintendo will have to invest more in those things, becuase they are the future. Sony already did with PS Now and the partnership with Microsoft and i'm pretty sure PS Now will be pushed very hard this gen.

Hezekiah

Banned
I highly doubt they made $600m+ in revenue with this game. That's an average price of 46 bucks, but it was already down to 35 bucks within 2 month after release, in some countries even 30 bucks and 20 bucks since 2019. Also Sony spends tons of money on advertisements. For a single Spider-Man tv spot just in die USA they spent 10 million dollars. I don't even want to know how much it was worldwide with vv, radio, online ads, billboards and so on. I think the game was profitable in the end, but not too much.

But you are right, Sony makes exclusive games hoping for people buying their console and of course many 3rd party games and PS+, because that's where the money lies. Personally i don't think it works that way, because people that are interested in exclusive games are often core gamers with a gaming pc and why would they spend money on online gaming or games in worse quality? I never played asingle 3rd party game on my PS4 or paid for PS+. It's no coincidence that Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn are coming to Pc. In my opinion Sony is testing how much money they make with this. Like you said, they're a business after all.

Of course you can't immediately make money with Game Pass. Not even Netflix could. You have to spend money to make money. Sony and especially Nintendo will have to invest more in those things, becuase they are the future. Sony already did with PS Now and the partnership with Microsoft and i'm pretty sure PS Now will be pushed very hard this gen.
Spiderman was down to $35 in the US after 2 months, are you sure? In the UK it received no such reductions. You also have to bear in mind the digital sales and there was no way the game received such a discount on PSN. Games that sell that well just don't get price-cuts like that because why would they? Remember 3.3m copies were sold in three days, so that's $200m right there. In European and South American countries games are more expensive not less. Same goes for India where's it's far more expensive than the US.

Then you have Deluxe Editions of the game which cost $80. And for people who didn't buy that you have the dlc which cost $25 which plenty of people bought.

The game will have made well in excess of $600m (remember the 13.2m sales figure is from August 2019 so it's likely at or close to 15m now). I'm certain the profits have been huge, I'm amazed you don't think it made much profit. Like a lot of AAA games I imagine the production cost to be $50m - $100m.

Any source for a TV spot costing $10m btw? Even accounting for marketing that still leave room for a huge profit.

If Microsoft had properties like this I don't think they would be offering them on GamePass on release date. To me you can't say it's future because it's not making serious money (or any money at all apparently) and we don't know if it ever will. We don't know if it's sustainable and Sony and Nintendo know this.

Last edited:
Has this been confirmed?
it has been confirmed a loooong time ago.

In general, people should get informed on basics, especially when they want to raise an opinion on something, like for example OP stating his casual friends only care about fifa and cod and the occasional GTA and RED DEAD and therefore not give a damn about gamepass, when in fact GTA was in the service until it was swapped for ...red dead 2 :)

Last edited:

Quasicat

I have GamePass only because I had 2 years of gold (From a buy one get one free deal) and updated it for a dollar for xCloud. For me it’s a “free” rental program only because it did not cost me any more than the gold subscriptions, which I would have done anyway.
I rarely play multiplayer games, but I have a buddy a couple of states away that is always wanting to play when he’s on. Now, I can play Elder Scrolls and Fallout with him, even though I don’t care enough to purchase them. Once The xCloud client is on the Xbox, I won’t even have to download these games and instead can just stream them.
That convenience alone may be worth the $15 when my subscription ends.

MarkMe2525

Watching IGN reaction to the event, or Alannah and etc. They all big up GamePass like the lack of decent exclusives don't matter.

But GanePass isn't for everyone. This is coming from someone who loves Netflix and Spotify. With those mediums I can plow through a ton of music and TV shows. My wife also uses these accounts. However with games it takes longer to play games which means you can't play a ton of games to make it worth your subscription fee. Also there are many games that are long or have online modes so your focusing on one game alot. Finally there are a ton of games that just never come out on GamePass.

I'll give you a example last year I bought Monster Hunter Iceborn which coated me around £35. I played that game exclusively for 2 to 3 months straight and nothing else other than a few sessions if Street Fighter V here and there. I also purchased God of War which was on sale for £10. I also picked up Mario Maker for the Switch which costed me £40. Also received Sonic Mania from Plus and TitanFall 2 which I played. With those 6 games that was enough games for me for a year.

If I paid for Gamepass without those £1 deals id spend around £130 for a year without choosing what games I want to play.

So this is why Gamepass don't interest me. I'd rather buy games I love day 1, and grab games I am half interested in on a impulse sale price, instead of paying for a sub and be limited to games their. The fact is I only play upto 6 games a year for me it's about quality over quantity and alot of the time the 6 games in that year are Sony exclusives. None of the games from Microsoft interest me other than Forza Horizon and Ori.

And I don't see Gamepass working with the masses. I have a ton of casual friends who only play FIFA and COD and grab the occasional other game like GTA, Red Dead and Spiderman that you wouldn't see in Gamepass. They don't play a ton of games a year. That model for many only works for Netflix and Spotify as those mediums you can go through more content quicker.
Read dead and GTA were on gamepass

Edit:someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I've came around to liking Game Pass & I'm someone who's always preferred to buy & own my stuff. It's a really good way to try out games, some that I might never have looked at twice, & maybe find some hidden gems. There have been a lot of great games on there. Plus obviously I get to play all the Xbox first-party titles day one.

It's not expensive either. There are deals online for subscription cards all the time. Just keep an eye out for them & you'll always be topped up. All the games on the service are automatically discounted should you choose to buy them as well.

If it does become too expensive, or they change how it works for the worse... I'll just let my subscription run out. No big deal. Until then I see no reason not to take advantage of it.

It could maybe be argued that Game Pass is really cool & that's something a lot of people don't get. Or don't want to get.

Game pass is pretty fantastic. I got to try out several games (that I now love) that I never would have played otherwise. Games such as Streets of Rage 4, Tekken 7 and Outer Worlds. They just added Crosscode, can’t wait to try it. Maybe not for everyone but definitely right for me.

Gamepass is great.

There is a hit of elitism coming from Sony fanboys. Just wait till Sony starts releasing more first party titles on PC. Same as with Xbox, soon you won’t even need a PlayStation to play Sony games. You’ll be able to play them on Azure by The Power of The Clouds 😂

bender

What time is it?
I came into the Xbox One late this generation with the One X. By the time Micorsoft was offering those $1 Gamepass upgrades, I'd played pretty much everything I'd cared to on the platform. I mostly end up trying games that I'm marginally interested in but probably would never purchase. I honesty don't spend a lot of time with the service even though I think it is great. What it really makes me consider doing is holding off on the Xbox platform until a major revision and/or price drop or later (think something like the last year of the lifecycle), subscribe to the service for six months to a year and just blow through all of the 1st party offerings.

Read dead and GTA were on gamepass

Edit:someone beat me to it.

Those games weren't there day 1 thought. Most people that want to play those games have already. You will never see a big AAA 3rd party game on GamePass e.g Cyberpunk. If Cyberpunk was on GamePass day 1 would sub today. Also, the only big NEW first-party game coming to GP this year is Halo and doesn't look very good. Those other small AA/indies don't interest me.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Banned
Personally, I love Gamepass. Being able to sub for a month and play the latest exclusive for £4 is insane value. It's definitely not the gaming Netflix where you stay subbed all the time, but it's a much welcome service.

Porcile

Netflix is good value... except I cancelled Netflix because what they are producing now is hot garbage. I dont think Microsoft's games are bad but they don't appeal to me and many others in the slightest. This perception has dogged them since the original Xbox. They give zero reasons for any Sony or Nintendo fan to make the switch to their platform. Gamepass might be good value, like Netflix, but I just don't care at all.

Those games weren't there day 1 thought. Most people that want to play those games have already. You will never see a big AAA 3rd party game on GamePass e.g Cyberpunk. If Cyberpunk was on GamePass day 1 would sub today. Also, the only big NEW first-party game coming to GP this year is Halo and doesn't look very good. Those other small AA/indies don't interest me.
1. Lots of people wait for price drops, digital discounts or used disks.
2. Halo being the only first party this year is incorrect too

Bad faith price comparison what do you mean. I literally just gave you a example of my average spending habits. Bought Iceborn and Mario Maker at full price. Bought God of War for £10 on sale as I didn't get around to it before. There are many people who spend money like me.
It’s really not hard dude. For the last time, I am not saying you or anyone else can’t buy games that are on sale. I am saying if you take two different items or groups of items and you knowingly pick items from group A that were bought on sale, and you specifically ignore a sale for group B just to make your comparison, then it’s an unfair comparison. I’m not responding beyond this point as the fact you’re still not getting it tells me you’re being wilfully ignorant.

Freeman

Banned
No you don't get it, Sony HAS to copy gamepass otherwise they are doomed. Gamepass is dominating the market.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers are waiting for developers unlock the power of quality video game streaming like Netflix

Xplainin

Banned
I dont use Game pass, and dont think I will.
I want to own the games I want to play.
But I cant deny the value of GP.
Someone can buy the XSX and pay $10 a month and have 200 games to play.
Buy a PS5, and one game for $60, or XSX for 6 months with 200 games to play including every single MS first party game?
Hey, cant blame people for using it. And its probably something Sony are going to have to match at some point, which is great for Sony peeps.

It's a good service and I did have it for a while. But since I wasn't using it that much I decided to cancel my subscription. Don't get me wrong it's great to have 1st party titles at release but I found that I really didn't like Microsoft franchises that much. It's the main reason why I cancelled it.

McHuj

Gamepass is only a great value if you value the games on the service.

I don’t place any value on games that I’m not interested in, so for me personally, it’s not really a good value. At least right now. Maybe in 2-3 years if MS continues to grow their studios and acquires more of them, it will have value for me.

REE Machine

Banned
Totally agree welfare pass isnt for me, my biggest problem since the service has been live their first party quality has been trash and Im not wondering if gamepass is contributing to this because its a dollar and a dream and a games as a service type of service where they can launch faulty, broken and less quality products and say they are "working" on them as a games as a service type thing due to gamepass

MarkMe2525

You said Game pass did not offer value because you couldn't play games like GTA and Red Dead on it. Then you find out they were and are on Game pass and now they are irrelevant. I don't care about anything else you're saying just pointing out how silly that is.

BlackM1st

Banned
Great offer for family with kids.

Me? Bitch please, between CoD MW battlepass, HOTS, Overwatch limited events, GTA online grind, mobile F2P timer based games and occasional BIG AAA's there's no way I will be able to justify subscription for even more games I'll never play. Hell, I'm yet to install any of the Epic games freebies. My PS+ subscription is active only for multiplayer too.

TLDR most ppl will have more free games than free time to play them all lol

You said Game pass did not offer value because you couldn't play games like GTA and Red Dead on it. Then you find out they were and are on Game pass and now they are irrelevant. I don't care about anything else you're saying just pointing out how silly that is.

Did you even read what I said? lol I know GTA and RDR2 were on there but my point is MS can't get those big AAA games like GTA, RDR2, Cyberpunk, COD, etc day 1 on GamePass. By the time those games go on game pass, I have already played them.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
If we are talking about the masses, we should only be talking about BF/COD/Madden/GTA/RDR/FIfa/Madden/Fortnite and so on since most players don't give a shit about exclusive games not matter if they are from Microsoft or Sony. I believe you that you like the gameplay of TLOU or GOw, but you can cleary see if a game is focused on gameplay with some story or focused on story with some gameplay. It doesn't even have to be complex. I can play a Hitman or a Terraria or Subnautica or AC Odyssey for 100 hours each, but TLOU or GOW bored me after 3 hours so much that i stopped playing it. Spider-Man was fine since it was nearly a Arkham game and i love those.
Yeah, im pretty sure players dont care about exclusives, keep repeating that yourself

Redlancet

Banned
Yeah, thread backfire. Sony fanboys are like "dude, why are you shining another light on this killer feature the competition has? Lock the thread!"
Dude, i hope you are just joking, also to the people that said rdr2 and gta were on gamepass, thats the thing.... Were, gta lasted what? Four months? Sorry but if i want a game i buy that game, most of the games pass evangelist i see on forums are people with a alarming lack of reality sense, most people dont want 60 games a month, most people dont care about gamepass and when the numbers cant be sustained you will experience the same destiny as mixer gurus

MarkMe2525

Did you even read what I said? lol I know GTA and RDR2 were on there but my point is MS can't get those big AAA games like GTA, RDR2, Cyberpunk, COD, etc day 1 on GamePass. By the time those games go on game pass, I have already played them.
Yeah, I read something that amounted to you changing the goalposts because your original point didn't stand.

On a more serious note as I'm kinda just being an ass. I would argue that it doesn't matter if it's day one because no one can realistically purchase and play every game that comes out day 1. It's like bonus content to get big names after the fact. Most people that will end up paying for gamepass are probably going to get it for the first party big AAA...AA...A games that come out and they will be able to play them.....day one.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
It’s not for everyone but it’s optional, for now, so that’s a great thing.

Sony forces your to buy PS Plus to play online so the fact there are B-Tier or older games on it is a knock for sure but it’s all one package.

At least Xbox gives you new games, even though they go away eventually and you lose access.

That’s the one advantage of Plus, I’ve had it since the start of PS3 and I still have access to every ps plus game ever put out...I’ve also paid out the ass if you add up all the months!

gamepass ultimate includes games with gold, which are 4 games per month (2 xbox one, 2 360 backward compatible games). Also, 360 games are permanent, even if you unsub.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Great offer for family with kids.

Me? Bitch please, between CoD MW battlepass, HOTS, Overwatch limited events, GTA online grind, mobile F2P timer based games and occasional BIG AAA's there's no way I will be able to justify subscription for even more games I'll never play. Hell, I'm yet to install any of the Epic games freebies. My PS+ subscription is active only for multiplayer too.

TLDR most ppl will have more free games than free time to play them all lol

Indeed ha, thats true. I definitely dont have as much time i’d like to play.

Top Bottom