• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass on Playstation: could this happen ?

GamePass on Playstation ?

• Yes

Votes: 60 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 216 69.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 35 11.3%

• Total voters

Lanrutcon

If it proves beneficial to Sony? Absolutely. Companies don't care about your platform worship: they care about money. If it ever gets to the point where it would be better for their business to have it rather than not, then it'll happen because the company isn't being run by 13 year olds.

Are we there yet? Will we ever be? *shrug*

In december, Jim Ryan already hinted that we will hear more about the PSNow overhaul (Gamepass competitor). So i do not think it will happen.

Who knows in the future?
What overhaul do you think that will be.... Because PS gamers have said gamepass is unsustainable, and will lead to low quality games. Plus they don't want someone else curating games for them to rent for a limited time.

Cyborg

It will happen if MS stops making consoles but chances of that are small! I do think that Sony will merge PS+ and PS Now into one service.

I really hope not!!!

The games library on PSN is amazing right now.

I don't understand - having the OPTION to access a large library of games devalues the game library on PSN?

On topic, I am not sure if the PS5 has a browser - but wouldn't any device with a browser be able to run game pass? Or is the larger opinion here that Sony would actively block their users from having access to the option of a game pass sub (for logical/understandable business reasons)?

Lol no chance, if gamepase is a success, sony will get there own service up and running.
But Sony fans have said they don't like gamepass because:

- it's unaustainable
- will cause lower quality games to release
- they don't like renting games
- they don't like someone telling them what games to play
- will cause less games to be on sale
- a Netflix style approach to games is not the same
- will cause games to become mobile type games

That's just a tidbit of the reasons I've heard why gamepass is bad from PS gamers. If Sony gets a similar service up and running (I.e a better version of PS Now).... Surely it would be a completely failure because of all those things above? Or will those concerns dissappear in an instant

Zoro7

Banned
All this gamepass talk is just another way to hide Xbox’s lack of decent exclusives on its new consoles. The medium is the next generation of gaming for Xbox users. That is why we are seeing an influx of Gamepass related threads.

All this gamepass talk is just another way to hide Xbox’s lack of decent exclusives on its new consoles. The medium is the next generation of gaming for Xbox users. That is why we are seeing an influx of Gamepass related threads.
Only the heartiest of console warriors has this sort of mindset.

Rid thy heart of salt brave warrior, lest your jealousy get the better of you.

Zoro7

Banned
Only the heartiest of console warriors has this sort of mindset.

Rid thy heart of salt brave warrior, lest your jealousy get the better of you.
I’m not a console warrior. I just don’t see the attraction of Gamepass.
And I won’t get a hard on because my favourite console manufacturer bought a company when we don’t even know when their first game will release.

SLB1904

Banned
Shu has a message to Phil:

p8m0PgY.png

No way Jose.

Sony would lose a lot with software sales.

It simply makes no sense to Sony. Like, none at all.
I dont think 3rd parties would agree. The only you'll see gamepass on ps is only ms for exclusives.

I’m not a console warrior. I just don’t see the attraction of Gamepass.
And I won’t get a hard on because my favourite console manufacturer bought a company when we don’t even know when their first game will release.
Kinda hard to claim that now. Only minutes ago you were claiming people talking about Gamepass was a concerted effort to hide the fact that MS has no decent exclusives for it's new console.

If you "just didn't see the attraction of gamepass", you would simply scroll past threads like this. Yet you obviously don't. You also wouldn't repeatedly mention the XS lack of exclusives so far this gen, as if it's competitors were doing significantly better.

The fact is that both the new consoles are lacking exclusive games at the moment. Xbox of course worse than Playstation, but hardly by much.

Zoro7

Banned
Kinda hard to claim that now. Only minutes ago you were claiming people talking about Gamepass was a concerted effort to hide the fact that MS has no decent exclusives for it's new console.

If you "just didn't see the attraction of gamepass", you would simply scroll past threads like this. Yet you obviously don't. You also wouldn't repeatedly mention the XS lack of exclusives so far this gen, as if it's competitors were doing significantly better.

The fact is that both the new consoles are lacking exclusive games at the moment. Xbox of course worse than Playstation, but hardly by much.
Hardly by much?? Lol alright man. Enjoy yourself.

Way more money, more first party studios and more diverse lineup, Azure and miles ahead with online infrastructure. Sony currently have the better first party games , but I stress currently!
I've been pointing this out for a few years now. Drastic changes take time. Once Phil got settled as head of Xbox, he made it clear what his intentions were. I think a lot of people just dismissed him at the time because of his tendency to pr speak too much. It was pretty obvious about a year later that he had tipped his hat to what their plans were.

At the time Xbox One was in the pits. They had a bad rep, with a weaker console, that cost the same as the PS4 by that time, just as the PS4 started to hit it's stride with exclusive releases. He said that they would be looking at every disadvantage and weakness they had, and that they would fix them one by one. From that point on, you could see them just checking off the boxes one by one. When this gen started, literally the only gap that Xbox hadn't completely closed was the exclusives. Now they've finally closed that gap as well.

It's been interesting to watch over the past few years for sure. I honestly don't really know where they go from here, as I've said for the last 2-3 years that the last thing they would address would be the games. There's literally nothing else for them to chase at this point as far as compared to PS anyway, as Xbox does literally everything better or at the least on par with them.

I've been pointing this out for a few years now. Drastic changes take time. Once Phil got settled as head of Xbox, he made it clear what his intentions were. I think a lot of people just dismissed him at the time because of his tendency to pr speak too much. It was pretty obvious about a year later that he had tipped his hat to what their plans were.

At the time Xbox One was in the pits. They had a bad rep, with a weaker console, that cost the same as the PS4 by that time, just as the PS4 started to hit it's stride with exclusive releases. He said that they would be looking at every disadvantage and weakness they had, and that they would fix them one by one. From that point on, you could see them just checking off the boxes one by one. When this gen started, literally the only gap that Xbox hadn't completely closed was the exclusives. Now they've finally closed that gap as well.

It's been interesting to watch over the past few years for sure. I honestly don't really know where they go from here, as I've said for the last 2-3 years that the last thing they would address would be the games. There's literally nothing else for them to chase at this point as far as compared to PS anyway, as Xbox does literally everything better or at the least on par with them.
I agree but Sony are still top dog, but the future is looking better for Xbox IMO. They seem to have invested in all the right areas and have future proofed thier gaming division, the generation after this will be very different I feel.

I agree but Sony are still top dog, but the future is looking better for Xbox IMO. They seem to have invested in all the right areas and have future proofed thier gaming division, the generation after this will be very different I feel.
At the end of the day, all that matters is if you're happy with whatever way you choose to play games. Sony does an absolute awesome job of keeping their playerbase satisfied, and have for years. Early last gen, I had doubts as to whether the Xbox was worth investing in. Of course that changed a couple of years later, and they've been heading in the right direction ever since.

Except for Turn 10. I wish MS would walk in there and put some of their woke asses in the corner for a bit.

Gediminas

Banned
why would Playstation want another the Black Tiger situation. one shit on the system is enough, no need to bring xbox garbage to Playstation.

CeeJay

Still playing the "Xbox has no games" card are we?

Its launch year, the exclusives are few and far between on both Xbox and PS5 but surely you can see that Xbox is going to be pumping out exclusives at least 2:1 ratio compared to Sony for the entire gen with the current studios and with the potential for Xbox to acquire even more big studios/publishers.

Still playing the "Xbox has no games" card are we?

Its launch year, the exclusives are few and far between on both Xbox and PS5 but surely you can see that Xbox is going to be pumping out exclusives at least 2:1 ratio compared to Sony for the entire gen with the current studios and with the potential for Xbox to acquire even more big studios/publishers.
It will be quality vs quantity . AAA vs a mix of little games and blockbusters
( microsoft have many little studios) if they fail again with all this studios, microsoft should retires

ZywyPL

Banned
Everything is possible, it's all a matter of the deal, who gets what cut of the subscription fee etc. GP firstly needs to grow enough to be considered as a value addition for Sony tho, and 15M users ain't that. And I don't think it will happen during this generation, at earliest on PS6.

Last edited:

CeeJay

It will be quality vs quantity . AAA vs a mix of little games and blockbusters
( microsoft have many little studios) if they fail again with all this studios, microsoft should retires
What's that got to do with the poster I was responding to who was just talking purely about exclusive output? Regardless, there is nothing wrong with the quality of Xbox titles, some great, some good, some average and some bad same as Sony, same as Nintendo.

Please don't make this a list war posting meta scores BTW...

Calverz

Not a hope....especially the way Xbox stock is now taking quite a while to sell, while PS5 is always sold out immediately and has no sign of slowing down.

Xbox are going to get steamrolled this gen, worse than last...purely based on momentum, games and hype. Despite Jim Ryan being crap at his job.
Lol do you still think hardware sales are the be all and end all? This isnt the 90’s.
Cringe Reaction GIF

LucidFlux

Nope, but that's not even what MS needs to do to get folks like me to buy back into the xbox ecosystem.

Look, GP just isn't for me. The way I consume content doesn't fit with the GP offering, but that's besides the fact that I just don't want to pay for another monthly subscription service that I wouldn't even take advantage of. I already have access to 100s of games on PSN that I haven't played. I only tend to buy a few games per year depending on the year, not for monetary reasons but it's simply because my game time is limited, the type of games I'm drawn to have a lot of replay-ability and opportunity for deep player investment like RPGs or multiplayer.

So the question is what would MS/Bethesda need to do for someone like me to be compelled to either get back into Xbox or pick up their games on PC (which means upgrading my ancient PC)?

It's really rather simple, they need to raise the bar of the quality of their content and release must play system selling games. If Starfield, TES6 and beyond turn out to be on the same quality level as other top publishers then that's all it'll take for me to get another Xbox. As it stands now I haven't been interested in any of their offerings in nearly a decade, so it's on them to prove the content is worth the investment. That's really it.

Bryank75

Banned
Lol do you still think hardware sales are the be all and end all? This isnt the 90’s.
Cringe Reaction GIF
It is when you are earning 30% and upwards on everything sold on that hardware.

Look at how Google and Amazon have absolutely failed with their efforts to bring streaming to the mainstream and how even Xbox with a very faithful core of customers is still very much dependent on their existing customer base.

Nintendo and Sony dominate through their hardware, which is not just a device but a constant physical reminder and piece of marketing.

I don't think you'll find that all these disruptive moves in the industry will change much in the long-term.

In fact, I think Xbox actually desperately wants to get gamepass on PlayStation platforms. That would be their mission accomplished.... 120 million potential devices and even more after family members and other users are considered in the breakdown.

DaGwaphics

In fact, I think Xbox actually desperately wants to get gamepass on PlayStation platforms. That would be their mission accomplished.... 120 million potential devices and even more after family members and other users are considered in the breakdown.

You might have already blown a hole in your own theory here. I'm sure MS likes their 30% on the DLC/MTX coming out of GP, the earning potential is much greater on their own systems. Plus, putting GP on PS would kill MS's own console gaming platform, which generates 10b+ a year as it is.

If Gamepass is sustainable and profitable without being on playstation, then Xbox has no reason to put it on Playstation.

If Gamepass isnt sustainable or profitable, then putting it on Playstation woildnt save it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You might have already blown a hole in your own theory here. I'm sure MS likes their 30% on the DLC/MTX coming out of GP, the earning potential is much greater on their own systems. Plus, putting GP on PS would kill MS's own console gaming platform, which generates 10b+ a year as it is.
More importantly puts them at the mercy of Sony who could tell MS to piss off the second the Xbox console is dead leaving Microsoft's game division dead.

Hunnybun

I could see it happening. I suspect Microsoft wants it to, which is why we got that weird confirmation of Bethesda exclusivity on "platforms where Game Pass exists".

The console war is very expensive for both of them. They'd both be much better off if they could come to some cartel like arrangement whereby Sony has a monopoly on hardware sales and cuts from software sales, and Microsoft gets the GP money (or something like that, anyway).

But I suppose it'll ultimately depend on how much market share Xbox can take over the next few years. I'm pretty sure I'll get an Xbox to take advantage of it, cos in a couple of years the line up and value is just gonna be staggeringly good.

Sure. Never underestimate the desire for these companies to make money. Why not let people rent your games in addition to buying them?

Only problem is a lot of the GP games have been on PSNow for years. Like most of the Bethesda stuff that just got added have been there for 5 years. DOOM, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, etc. have been on PS for a long time already. Those games are already available. So there isn't quite as big a reason to subscribe.

Ten_Fold

Why would u want it? Let Microsoft have their thing, they got WAY more money to burn than Sony. They can afford to put $70 games on a cheap service, that in itself will probably keep Microsoft at least 5-10m behind whatever the ps5 in the long run. It seems everytime Microsoft gets something people be like Sony needs to do it, no they don’t. Let them have ES6 and fallout and gamepass.

twilo99

zero chance.

but if the PS5 had a proper web browser you might be able to access gamepass trough the cloud?

Very far fetched since Sony will probably shut that down as well.

DavidGzz

If MS bought 2 more huge devs, Sony would be forced to pretty much. In a year Game Pass will be at over 30 million subs. If Sony can work a deal with MS, I could see it happening.

Withnail

When people talk about Gamepass on PS do they mean Xcloud? Because the idea of downloading from an Xbox store front on PS just makes no sense whatsoever. How is that supposed to work with third parties?

Markio128

When people talk about Gamepass on PS do they mean Xcloud? Because the idea of downloading from an Xbox store front on PS just makes no sense whatsoever. How is that supposed to work with third parties?
None of this makes any sense to me. I get that game pass is a good deal for a lot of xbox gamers, but I honestly don’t believe that PS gamers want, or need game pass. If game pass was something I needed, I would buy an xbox. The truth is, even the backlog of games provided by PS+ seems barely manageable at times. Since buying the PS5, my games catalogue is fucking mental. Nearly every top tier PS4 sony game has been added to PS+, some of which have received updates.

Top Bottom