• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers got to take some responsibility for the dookie products

This is stupid. You are taking the opinions of a hardcore gamers (who are usually the only people who post on video game forums) and trying to apply them to all gamers. Remember folks, we are the minority here. People play what they enjoy, COD and Madden are popular precisely because they offer the same thing year after year. Casual players want the same experience with their friends that they've had for years. FIFA, Madden, NBA2k, COD, Fortnite, Minecraft, RoBlox, GTA5 all offer a familiar experience for players and people obviously love it. Money talks, but just not in the way you want. The only part of this post that I can completely agree with is the last part. Consumers are a big part of the problem when it comes to games being released unfinished because we preorder them or buy them on release whether they are ready to go or not. Don't preorder games fools!

Already doing my part, chief. I haven't bought a CoD since Black Ops. While that game was okay it also played borderline on rails.

I usually let the ebb and flow do its own thing, but things are looking kinda dire at the moment. We gotta start making some waves to create a ripple of change. The AAA clowns should not get away with what they're doing.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't preorder games fools!
I will pre-order games I know I’m going to enjoy like I did with Armored Core VI and upcoming game like Unicorn Overlord.…..I have complete trust in Vanillaware and FromSoftware…..Activision can go fuck off as far as I’m concerned….the ONLY good thing they ever done is publish Sekiro for west.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Most of the games in the OP are what children and non-gamers buy, so I don't think complaining here is gonna help much, unfortunately.
Damn not a child here so guess I fall in the non gamer category

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I guess the point of the thread is "if consumers will pay for X--even if it's objectively awful--you can't blame a gaming company for making X"

That's partly true, but I wouldn't exonerate the awful publishers and gaming corporations. Just because you can cynically sell dishonest trash, free-to-play bait that destroys the minds of the young or wallets of the old, awful hyped-up versions of the same game every year, corporate "diversity" crap etc... doesn't mean that you should.

If a company does this sort of a thing, or a dev works with them and creates this sort of cynical trash knowing that it's just exploiting FOMO or stupidity, they're trash on both an artistic level and an ethical level, and you can absolutely blame them for making trash when they know what they're doing. I don't agree that "all's fair if you make a buck."

Blame gamers for buying it, but also feel free to endlessly mock the execs, publishers, and everyone else behind this crap.

Fbh

men-in-black-will-smith.gif

Same logic applies to games. Ultimately all you can do is support the studios and games you like. But there's no stopping "general audiences" from buying COD every year, spending a trillion dollars on FIFA ultimate team and pre ordering every hyped game.

I've not spent a penny on gaming this gen............mtx greed,wokery,broken games,tired ass game design.........none of it is deserving of my ££££ these days.I've got other things to spend it on that respect my time.I still love the medium though,hope it turns around at some point.
There is that in spades but there is still good stuff, you just have to avoid western AAA releases, look at pc and Nintendo mostly.

AA has some great games here and there. Robocop just launched with no micros, no woke shit, amazing gunplay and voicework, true to source material, 20 hour game.
Nintendo - Fire emblem, zelda tok, prime remake, SMB: W, and problaby others that I forgot.
3rd party: FF16 ( I thought it was great, some don't like the action, but no micros, no wokery, no bullshit.), Octopath2, Crysis Core remake (square making its stuff).
Ports - Gothic 1 and Risen on Switch -- amazing they did this. (g2 is coming this month). Re4 remake.
Indie scene is thriving. Check out Dredge, its so unique and fun.
PC: Strategy heaven. - Skylines 2, Gal Civ4, and tons of roguelikes and unique indies.

Sony: errr--- ummm... woke shit and gaas
MS: err -umm - broke shit. and woke shit, gaas and subs

That's just a few things that are positive. There are tons of bad though for sure, but its both right now. Be vigilant and don't pre-order shit until you see youtube gameplay. Don't trust major reviewers, epecially eurogamer, kotaku or rock paper, as they all have agenda to spread the message over gameplay.

A.Romero

If people enjoy stuff enough to keep buying it then clearly the general consensus is that these things do in fact not suck, despite what insular enthusiast circles think.

This is the hardest pill to swallow but it's true.

If you don't like it you are simply not the target public for this but there is a bigger representation of people enjoying it so nobody really cares about your taste. Go and replay older games.

Not a fan of none of those examples but I can understand newer generations like different stuff than me. I can understand I'm not part of the golden demographics anymore.

I haven't bought a Madden since 06' I believe and before that 01'. I haven't bought a CoD since BO2 I think. It's been a while. I don't hate that they exist, they obviously have their player base, I just don't care for them, don't get excited, don't give a single shit about them. Everyone is awash with choice is just about every given genre, so it's ok for things to exist that aren't for you. It's also ok to voice your displeasure and champion for change too.

I dunno... I feel like if there's one game that I kinda understand and give a slight pass with...It's BG3. The amount of permutations for possibility is crazy and not every choice in every scenario can be attributed for.
The game was early access for years. Arguably it still is.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As long as you're having fun, it's all good.
Just never understood the whole attacking the other side because they play games or on a platform I don't like, thus they are children

To me that's showing more immaturity than what someone plays

We are all here because we have some sort of love for gaming yet many here still want to divide us, its dumb but keep up what you feel is good work

Pejo

Just never understood the whole attacking the other side because they play games or on a platform I don't like, thus they are children

We are all here because we have some sort of love for gaming yet many here still want to divide us, its dumb but keep up what you feel is good work
I was just saying that GAF represents a tiny fraction of the playerbases for the games listed in the OP. I don't think we've had a Madden OT since the early 2000s. CoD is rarely talked about here compared to how big of a franchise it is. It wasn't meant as an insult if you like those games.

Danjin44

People can enjoy any game they want, who the fuck cares what other people think. With that being said if you are paying $100 to pre-order COD and knowing how Activision operates most of the time and if you get screwed by them then you have no one but yourself to blame.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People can enjoy any game they want, who the fuck cares what other people think. With that being said if you are paying $100 to pre-order COD and knowing how Activision operates most of the time and if you get screwed by them then you have no one but yourself to blame.
While the campaign sucked, probably the worst one ever, I enjoyed the MP beta and so far have not really regretted buying a COD game yet as I know what I am getting

As much as the fad is to shit on COD it will still sell millions, this one will likely break records and I will put a lot of hours into it

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
a) most people are borderline retarded
Yeah no. Can we stop with this "unwashed masses/most people are retards" shite and just call them casuals?

those "most people" likely include your friends and your coworkers. Sure maybe some of them are stupid but to claim a great majority of humanity are borderline retarded is just silly and makes you out to be one of those 'i'm smarter than everyone else' type people who we do not need in any social circle.

They're not stupid. They're apathetic. They don't really care and can't tell the difference between something like Black Ops or the new games- either that or they're too young/inexperienced about the medium to know any better.

Which is fine, because they might not be all that into gaming in the first place. The same way i'm not all that into shoes, or fashion which is why i'm 100% fine buying some cheap $50 sneakers & wearing yoga pants out to hang out whereas some people with more fashion sense might look at me like i'm a casual weirdo.

"I enjoy doing heroin. It gives me the thrills. People who say it's bad are just haters. Toxic haters. "
Heroin is not as popular as COD.

Last edited:
Buy RoboCop please.

I want to but can't pull the trigger. I watch gameplay and have a couple thoughts ...will the gameplay be a letdown since it seems repetitive being this indestructible tank with minimal moveset and will the visuals AA qualities outweigh some of the impressive environments I've seen ...

I want to support a passionate studio but I also don't have that much nostalgia for Robocop despite growing up in the 90's ...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you want the 100s of millions of copies COD/Madden sells to go to some more deserving franchise/game you need to spread fucking awareness and expose the flaws in these new casual franchises instead of just whining about it on forums and blaming gamers... Because believe me, most of the people here know enough about COD & Activision's history to have made their decision on whether it's worth their money or not. You can't say the same for the 16/17 year old kid who's only ever known MW2019 and Warzone.

Last edited:

Danjin44

While the campaign sucked, probably the worst one ever, I enjoyed the MP beta and so far have not really regretted buying a COD game yet as I know what I am getting

As much as the fad is to shit on COD it will still sell millions, this one will likely break records and I will put a lot of hours into it
If you are happy with game then that’s all that matters in the end.

To be fair I pre-ordered Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Deluxe and Granblue Fantasy Relink Deluxe and each cost around $129 CAD……no regrets.

Last edited:
I guess the point of the thread is "if consumers will pay for X--even if it's objectively awful--you can't blame a gaming company for making X"

That's partly true, but I wouldn't exonerate the awful publishers and gaming corporations. Just because you can cynically sell dishonest trash, free-to-play bait that destroys the minds of the young or wallets of the old, awful hyped-up versions of the same game every year, corporate "diversity" crap etc... doesn't mean that you should.

If a company does this sort of a thing, or a dev works with them and creates this sort of cynical trash knowing that it's just exploiting FOMO or stupidity, they're trash on both an artistic level and an ethical level, and you can absolutely blame them for making trash when they know what they're doing. I don't agree that "all's fair if you make a buck."

Blame gamers for buying it, but also feel free to endlessly mock the execs, publishers, and everyone else behind this crap.

Exactly! It's very strange to see so many people agreeing that just because these companies CAN get away with lazy cash grabs, they we "can't blame them" or that "they should keep doing what they're doing". Do we want games from once good franchises getting worse and having less content, just because they can?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Still haven't gotten a GTA 6? Blame the millions of little kids that flood the gta servers. Rockstar is making money by selling these $100 shark cards. I respect Rockstar for supporting their games but they have no incentive to make a new GTA while the current one has been selling well for over a decade. To top it off, lets not just remake it for the ps4/xboxone generation lets do it again for the PS5/Series X generation.
Games don't just appear because you want them to.

GTA5 came out in 2013.

5 years later, RDR2 came out

5 years later, GTA6 is about to be announced.

These are all made by the same people. Same team. And they take time to make. Even longer these days.

It's not Rockstar's fault they found a way to monetize the everloving fuck out GTA5 so they could keep themselves afloat while they worked on other stuff.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't agree that "all's fair if you make a buck."
Exactly! It's very strange to see so many people agreeing that just because these companies CAN get away with lazy cash grabs, they we "can't blame them" or that "they should keep doing what they're doing". Do we want games from once good franchises getting worse and having less content, just because they can?
It's literally what the entire economic system is preceded on. Make money regardless of if the work you do is good or bad. "We can't afford to have a failing quarter or fiscal year, we need INFINITE GROWTH!!!"

Do you honestly expect a fucking soulless businessman like Andrew Wilson to actually give a shit about any art period? When he's under pressure from investors to keep the money flowing? Not saying he's a good person or that his actions and impact on the gaming industry can be excused, but when people are asking for more profit and YOU want more profit and yachts, something's gotta give and it's not going to be the people at the top.

When people say "you can't blame them" it's not because they're praising them or that these businessmen are correct. It's because it's WHAT WORKS and it will continue to work until something gives. It's like pushing a button for free instant money, you're naturally going to keep pushing it over and over again until no more money gets dispensed, even if every 100 dollar bill kills an innocent seal, dumps plastic into the ocean or murders a newborn child. So either people stop buying or the status quo continues.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sorry OP, but I don’t think you get to bash CoD or judge other gamers if Callisto Protocol was your hidden gem.

That game is all graphics with kiddie pool gameplay depth.

Puscifer

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I don't understand why people feel they have to buy these fucking games. Like MW3 is so obviously an expansion that they turned into a full product because MW2 was so shitty and player counts dropped so fast. Charging $70 for that half-assed garbage is just exploitation. The MGS collection was so obviously going to be a lazy piece of shit. Yet people preordered, bought day one, and whined about it. Like nobody needs MW3 and MGS Collection in their lives. At the very least wait until it comes out and make an informed decision. But no, they need to consoooooooooom. I don't get it.
Agreed here and I can't argue with it, no way am I buying MW3. Since BLOPS 4 was such an amazing turnaround followed up by MW2019 I couldn't help but get back on the hype train but this release is a total joke and I'll be back to MW2

Humdinger

In order for the criticism to be fair, you'd have to establish that the people who are complaining are the same people as those who are buying the product. I'm not convinced that is true. Most of the people complaining are people on enthusiast boards. Most of the people buying Call of Duty and Madden are casuals who will just buy whatever.

Last edited:
Yes these game publishers are mostly greedy bastards that do not care about the quality of their product and their only goal is to maximize profits. If the same consumers keep buying the same shit products on the other hand, maybe some need to take responsibility.

Lets look at just a few main examples of complaints around the web:

Call of Duty sucks: No shit sherlock. I stopped playing it over 10 years ago. With that said, they slap a new coat of paint on the same rehased product and it sells millions. I cant blame the company for all of this. If I were Activision and know that I can just put out minimum effort and still make millions every year. Why not?

Madden Sucks: It has for well over a decade and it still sells millions. I do not care that it;'s the only NFL Game. I am a huge NFL fan myself but refuse to shell out money for garbage. They put in minimum effort every year and it sells millions. Can I blame EA for selling to mindless people? I do not

Still haven't gotten a GTA 6? Blame the millions of little kids that flood the gta servers. Rockstar is making money by selling these $100 shark cards. I respect Rockstar for supporting their games but they have no incentive to make a new GTA while the current one has been selling well for over a decade. To top it off, lets not just remake it for the ps4/xboxone generation lets do it again for the PS5/Series X generation.

My game is buggy and glitchy when I buy it day one: How many times are people going to get burned before they learn to wait to buy any release game. I have learned from experience that it is good to wait a week or two after launch to hear about how the game performs. AAA games are lacking quality control as well. These greedy publishers are sticking to their launch dates even when the games need more time.

Take responsiblity

itakeresponsibility.jpg
Well said, OP. I've been saying this throughout the whole Starfield release. I just don't understand why so many people are surprised that a Bethesda game plays like a stripped down Skyrim, when every Bethesda game has played like a stripped down Skyrim, since Skyrim.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Banned: Victim Blaming. 2 years. History of prior infections.
I know "NeoGAF isnt a person" but often when people post that these companies are engaged in despicable, immoral, and underhanded moves, you'll always find someone saying "they're just doing what makes money" or whatever. So apparently we shouldn't criticize the companies and we shouldn't criticize the customers.

I know "NeoGAF isnt a person" but often when people post that these companies are engaged in despicable, immoral, and underhanded moves, you'll always find someone saying "they're just doing what makes money" or whatever. So apparently we shouldn't criticize the companies and we shouldn't criticize the customers.
I'll stick up for the "corporations are going to corporation" contingent. When I say the above, what I mean is blame the audiences for buying the products. If millions of people are willing to throw millions of dollars at inferior or broke products or games as a service with micro transactions, what do you expect is going to happen? Corps want to make the most money they can, as easily as they can.

GreatnessRD

The consumer standard bar for gaming is so deep in hell, it doesn't even matter. It's so low, lmao.

With that said, I'm glad folks are still enjoying games, I guess.

Ryūtō

I feel like if people actually voted with their wallets we could get higher quality products. But sad truth is we never will; there will always be gamers that will buy the same rehashes of games in a franchise day 1 just to have something to play. And for those who are gamerscore/trophy junkies it doesn't really matter either.

Danjin44

I feel like if people actually voted with their wallets we could get higher quality products. But sad truth is we never will; there will always be gamers that will buy the same rehashes of games in a franchise day 1 just to have something to play. And for those who are gamerscore/trophy junkies it doesn't really matter either.
But they do, people buy what they like but most of the time what they like is not what we like......Like it or not games like COD is selling well because people are keep buying them and they keep buying them because they like COD.

All I can do is support the games I like but 80% of the time the games I like is very niche for your average audience.

Last edited:

Arcadialane

Yup. It never ceases to amaze me how low a lot of people's standards are, and will accept the most generic crap, even among enthusiasts.

There are people who will unironically tell you a game like kill the justice leauge looks good and will pay full price for it, or buy the last us remestared for the 10th time. These people are just as bad if not worse than the companies themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom