• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games in all history that evolved gaming to the next levels?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This is my all times list in order what is yours my friends?

Mario Bros
Street Fighter 2
Doom 1
Half Life
Mario 64
Daytona USA
GTA 3
Ocarina of Times
MGS1
Halo CE
Ninja Gaiden
COD 4
Portal
Doom Eternal
MGS V
Zelda TOTK

BlackTron

Good list that focuses on actually evolving gaming instead of popularity or quality. Many very innovative games out there that didn't exactly cause evolutionary shockwaves ie Portal

nial

Gold Member
TOTK but not BOTW...? (not that I think it did, but still)

Last edited:
Here's my list:

Super Mario 3
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario Kart
Final Fantasy 7
Super Mario 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 007
Street Fighter 2/Mortal Kombat
Super Smash Bros
Gran Turismo
Doom
COD4 Moderm Warfare
Metal Gear Solid
Shenmue
GTA 3

Pallas

Gold Member
I think as far as JRPG’s are concerned, first Wild Arms (being 3D during random encounters at the time was a big woah moment) and obviously FFVII which released after Wild Arms.

Last edited:

Gp1

Starsiege Tribes
Action quake
Ultima 7 / UO
Diablo
Warcraft 2
Team fortress
Rainbow Six / SWAT 3

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Pong

GTA 3
COD 4
OOT
Mario Bros
Fortnite
The Last of Us
Street Fighter 2
Uncharted 2
Mario 64
Gears of War

When this thread is all said and done, people will see how much of a heavy hitter the PS360 gen was. Game design hasnt evolved since.

Last edited:

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
DMC for the whole character action genre. I know there may have been other title before it, but right now, DMC is the household name for such genre.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Pong

GTA 3
COD 4
OOT
Mario Bros
Fortnite
The Last of Us
Street Fighter 2
Uncharted 2
Mario 64
Gears of War

When this thread is all said and done, people will see how much of a heavy hitter the PS360 gen was. Game design hasnt evolved since.
say I think maybees TLOU is good pick to it evolved story tellings I mostly picked gameplays

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Why did OP sneak in totk at the end? Is this a stealth Zelda fellatio thread?
Because I think its the best game I ever played my friends there is no sneaking I am proud of my choices

It will win GOTY and has the most 10 ratings in history already

Developers agree with me

TOTK but not BOTW...? (not that I think it did, but still)
BOTW is just a tech demos for TOTK

Last edited:

Puscifer

Between GTA 3 and Morrowind I'm not sure which to give it too

Actually GTA 3. When you could get into a car, pick up a prostitute, have sex with her and kill her to get your money back you knew gaming was NEVER going to be same.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Between GTA 3 and Morrowind I'm not sure which to give it too

Actually GTA 3. When you could get into a car, pick up a prostitute, have sex with her and kill her to get your money back you knew gaming was NEVER going to be same.
Morrowind seems good but I never really played Elder Scrolls untils Skyrim haha I'm sorry my friends

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This is my all times list in order what is yours my friends?

Mario Bros
Street Fighter 2
Doom 1
Half Life
Mario 64
Daytona USA
GTA 3
Ocarina of Times
MGS1
Halo CE
Ninja Gaiden
COD 4
Portal
Doom Eternal
MGS V
Zelda TOTK
On top of your list should be Quake.

The engine and multiplayer was the base of everything we play right now.
Also a lot of terminology and modes came from this game.

Sophist

Mario 64 is the definitive answer. There isn't a single game designer who has not been influenced by this game. It brought the biggest before/after moment in video gaming.

supernova8

Banned
Zone of the Enders - Konami showed everyone that you could generate sales for a game hardly anyone is interested in by including a demo disc for a highly anticipated game (MGS2).
(So important that when I went to trade in ZoE, the local game shop said they wouldn't take it (or rather was worthless, would only give me like 1 pound) unless it came with the MGS2 demo disc lol)

Last edited:
Literally any Looking Glass Studios game.
And Deus Ex.
Yeah, I was just thinking about Thief series.

Also Deus Ex.

Let's not forget Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. The usage of mouse scroll to control walking/sneaking speed on PC was and still is brilliant.

Soul Reaver had excellent realm shifting mechanics.

Shenmue, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil.

Gothic 1 and 2.

We had lots of awesome games back in the day.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

It's kinda nuts that most innovative was between the 90’s and 2000's.

Mostly agree with OP, except Eternal, MGSV and TOTK (even though I loved them all). Especially MGSV feel more 'inspired by' then actually breaking ground. It's a logical continuation of Hitman's clockwork worlds, and Far Cry's outpost structure and tagging mechanics (binocular tagging was first introduced in 2004 with Far Cry 1)

Super Metroid (1993). It spawned a whole search/action genre (now know as Metroidvania even though it's mostly inspired by Metroid)

Speaking of Metroid level design: Batman Arkham Asylum (2009) was a big step forward, especially it's combat systems that still today is being copied in other titles.

Assassin's Creed (2007) was a big leap (no pun intended). From parkour to lived in city feel. With it's towers structure that everyone ripped off (including BOTW)

I would put DOOM 2016 before Eternal. Most indie boomer shooter clearly saw a revival spike after Doom 4 released.

And yeah, pretty much every Looking Glass game is highly influential (even if it's delayed somewhat). System Shock, THIEF, Deus Ex especially. Some might say BOTW is highly influenced by these groundbreaking Immersive Sim's for it structure and systemic approach.

Personal sidenote. Even though I don't care for LOTR, Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system is still so groundbreaking. So unique in fact that WB patent it, the dumbfucks. It's a shame because it would (and still could) be such a leap in systemic emergent storytelling in games. Such a shame.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
it's been only months less than a month from TOTK release, how can we even know today if it "evolved" gaming?
Already haves 300 hours early copies this is enough times for me played it more than any other games this is my opinions my list my #1

The point is that there is no evidence that TotK "evolved gaming". The game is too new. The thread (which you created) was very specific. TotK being your favorite game doesn't mean that it evolved gaming.

P.S. We all know this was just another stealth TotK thread. For shame.

In a thread like OP you should add why they push it forward. Because im confused why you would put mgs5 in there lol

Anyway, how could you not put...

Shenmue?

Invented QTE's and the most ambitious open world/life sim game at that point. Nothing came close to it at the time.

And there is still nothing quite like it...
Even looked better than many ps2 titles after.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
You mean Gears of War.
Considering Gears of War came out a year later and Epic staff approached Capcom at E3 questioning them over Lost Planet not using the same camera work as RE4. No, I don't think so. But Gears made cover shooters popular which is why Naughty Dog went back and put that into the first game 6 months before shipping it. 🐻

Considering Gears of War came out a year later and Epic staff approached Capcom at E3 questioning them over Lost Planet not using the same camera work as RE4. No, I don't think so. But Gears made cover shooters popular which is why Naughty Dog went back and put that into the first game 6 months before shipping it. 🐻
Gears is the game that created the mass of clones that played like Gears of War, those devs, especially most of the western ones were not looking at RE4 at all. They were using what Gears introduced or refined. It is what lit the candle, if we are going with who did it first than there's game before RE4 too.

Not taking away from RE4 but what made Gears clones pop up was Gears introducing or fixing problems RE4 had that made devs gravitate toward the template. Even RE would change itself in the sequels to be more like Gears.

Halo 3 as well, although you have already noted Halo CE. For me, Halo 3 took online to the next level by adding small social features like forge, customs games (remember the zombie game made in forge?), theatre, sheer options in matchmaking. It was such a complete online package for consoles at the time, even the Halo sequels didn’t have all these features (some added after launch). COD4 (which you’ve also noted) was revolutionary as well and crazily launched same year as Halo 3. It was the first true accessible multiplayer game, like a casual can get several kills in first match level accessible. The online experience while revolutionary in its own right was different for me than Halo 3 though.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
RE4s is a good picks to

The point is that there is no evidence that TotK "evolved gaming". The game is too new. The thread (which you created) was very specific. TotK being your favorite game doesn't mean that it evolved gaming.

P.S. We all know this was just another stealth TotK thread. For shame.
Shame? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Why are you offended by my pick?

Make your own list and hold my beer.

I've heard plenty of evidences looks at whats all the devs are saying in my threads

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
In a thread like OP you should add why they push it forward. Because im confused why you would put mgs5 in there lol

Anyway, how could you not put...

Shenmue?

Invented QTE's and the most ambitious open world/life sim game at that point. Nothing came close to it at the time.

And there is still nothing quite like it...
Even looked better than many ps2 titles after.
MGSV pushed forwards open world third persons combats and stealth gameplays

Last edited:

Wulfer

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

This is the game that truly pushed open-ended RPGs!

(Players figured out how to fly without moding the game.) Flying wasn't supposed to be possible!

Last edited:
Top Bottom