• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamesindustry: Critics agree that Sony's PS5 transcends on-paper comparisons to Xbox

Killer8

Although both launch lineups aren't great, one thing to note is that year one of PS5 is going to be infinitely better than PS4's first year. We're getting Ratchet & Clank, GT7, Horizon 2 and God of War Ragnarok. PS4's first year was terrible. There was Infamous, Driveclub (after a huge delay), and I guess P.T. counts even if it was a demo. I'm not even going to count The Last of Us Remastered since this time around, we're getting these enhancements via BC/patches rather than a cash grab.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Dualsense + 3D Audio + Miles Morales Quality mode pretty much screams next gen. Xbox Series X is pretty cool too, but its not offering that full next gen package outside good 4K performance.
Xbox One has had 3D Audio for years. Like literally years. The Xbox One has had vibration motors in the triggers for 7 years. "Quality mode" in a cross gen game screams next gen, yet microsofts massive Gears 5 update that adds 120fps + PC ultra and above settings doesn't? lol

Although both launch lineups aren't great, one thing to note is that year one of PS5 is going to be infinitely better than PS4's first year. We're getting Ratchet & Clank, GT7, Horizon 2 and God of War Ragnarok.

Might want to wait before counting those chickens.

If PS5 has other things up it's sleeve, like the overwhelmingly praised controller and 3D audio

The Xbox has pretty much the widely considered best controller of all time, and also has 3D audio. The Xbox One has 3D audio lol. How do people still think that the PS5 is the first and only console in history to have 3D audio? It boggles the mind.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

He's totally full of shit, they thrive on all of it, and they play up emotions that they're people with feelings to get another select group of people to feel bad for them and defend them.

Their entire business is built from inciting controversy and then crying about the result of it.
I’m quite new coming back here, and I’ve only read a handful of your posts, but you’re EXACTLY the kind of gamer he’s talking about.

Xbox One has had 3D Audio for years. Like literally years. The Xbox One has had vibration motors in the triggers for 7 years. "Quality mode" in a cross gen game screams next gen, yet microsofts massive Gears 5 update that adds 120fps + PC ultra and above settings doesn't? lol

Dualsense triggers aren't using vibration motors, its using gears to add pressure to the triggers. A vastly different sensation. And Sony's tempest 3D audio engine is hardware based and should provide a much more immersive and accurate experience when done right.

Miles Morales quality mode looks vastly better than anything coming out on Xbox during launch.

400+ games bigger?

you can’t call ps5s bc better when it runs worse versions of games and is limited to 1 generation vs 3.

Do you really think that some different force feedback on the triggers is a game changer that will draw the casuals in? Seriously? What a ridiculous suggestion lol.
“When the PlayStation 5 launches this November, more than 99 percent of the 4000+ games available on PS4 will be playable on PS5.” Xbox One doesnt have near that many including Xbox & Xbox 360 games.

And “some different force feedback” that all the press is saying is the most next gen feature of both consoles would be the thing to draw the most causals than anything.

CthulhuPL

OnZQeHA.jpg
Xbox has no next gen games also but gloryfing ps5's cross gen dlc, remake of old game and mediocre platformer with weak graphics is kinda stretchy, don't you think?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Dualsense triggers aren't using vibration motors, its using gears to add pressure to the triggers. A vastly different sensation. And Sony's tempest 3D audio engine is hardware based and should provide a much more immersive and accurate experience when done right.

Miles Morales quality mode looks vastly better than anything coming out on Xbox during launch.
I know how dualsense works, but if you think that adding pressure to triggers is a game changer then I don't know what to say. The vibration motors in the triggers on the XB1 could give relatively the same effect.

The Xbox One and the Series S/X also have dedicated audio hardware lol. They both have 3D audio and they support the industry leading and industry standard formats in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, along with Windows Sonic, MS's own 3D audio. You don't seem to know enough about any of this to be able to argue that Sony's proprietary solution is better and "much more immersive and accurate experience" lol. You really believe that they just came out and have beaten the industry leaders on their first go? You are also overlooking the fact that they only support 3D audio over headphones, whereas the Xbox supports it over surround sound systems as well as headphones.

But please, tell me exactly how Sony's 3D Audio solution is better than both Dolby Atmos 3D Audio and Windows Sonic 3D audio.

“When the PlayStation 5 launches this November, more than 99 percent of the 4000+ games available on PS4 will be playable on PS5.” Xbox One doesnt have near that many including Xbox & Xbox 360 games.

And “some different force feedback” that all the press is saying is the most next gen feature of both consoles would be the thing to draw the most causals than anything.

How many games does the Xbox One have in total? How many games does the PS4 have in total? Surely since you can make that statement so surely you have the numbers right there with you, right?

Lol most next gen feature is different force feedback in a controller? Give me a break. Ray Tracing is a more next gen feature by far. Quick Resume is a more next gen feature by far. Hell even the significantly reduced input lag on the XSX controllers is a more next gen feature.

Astro's Playroom is the game everyone needs to play first on their PS5.

Last edited:

CthulhuPL

What it offers in other ways is very next gen as it fully implements the Dualsense and 3D audio, plus 4K 60fps will make it quite responsive and sharp.

There is a reason so many are praising that pack in game.
Ok so now we are praising astrobot as a sole next gen title that pushes sony into glory and victory? Oh my... how low we have fallen. Both consoles lack new and fresh and i dare to say: next gen content. Give it a few minutes and we will praise ps5 only because it is bigger in size... lol

Killer8

Astro is currently at 82 on Metacritic and it's literally a free 5 hour long game on every PS5.

This part of Digital Foundry's review perfectly sums up what I mean about the overall experience mattering more than strictly graphics. Astro's more of a tech demo for what the controller can do than what the teraflops can do - you have Miles Morales' fidelity mode for that. Dual Sense won't be a revolution like the Wii remote was, but the parallel between the two is that you can't underestimate what controller tech can do to influence the overall experience.

Ok so now we are praising astrobot as a sole next gen title that pushes sony into glory and victory? Oh my... how low we have fallen. Both consoles lack new and fresh and i dare to say: next gen content. Give it a few minutes and we will praise ps5 only because it is bigger in size... lol

I never said that at all. I said its a great intro to experiencing what the Dualsense offers.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't hate and i'm not bitter. We can argue which one is better slightly at launch but the narrative in this thread saying that ps5 is superb and xbox is trash is pure nonsense.
Cross gen games were trash and didn’t count for next gen ........ until all the ps5 launch games turned out to be cross gen lol. Now they’re amazing showcases of next gen lol. The hypocrisy and fanboyism is amazing.

Last edited:

Zheph

Cross gen games were trash and didn’t count for next gen ........ until all the ps5 launch games turned out to be cross gen lol. Now they’re amazing showcases of next gen lol. The hypocrisy and fanboyism is amazing.
I’m not sure you want people posting pics of those crossgens games. Fanboyism is indeed amazing.

MastaKiiLA

The best part about all the people in this thread having a proper moan about the article is that their purchasing decisions aren't even being molded by articles like these. Pretty much everyone on the forum is locked into whatever they intend on buying, and good/bad news has zero impact on that decision. So why moan? It's because a lot of people are just attention-whores, and insecure about the plastic box they're purchasing. I'll get a PS5. Power difference? Don't care. No quick resume? Don't care. Big unit? Don't care. I was pretty much locked in from the first announcement of the box. I really couldn't care about anything else, unless Sony announced they were shutting down their first party studios.

It's a nice article. The author and friends have been impressed with the PS5 thus far. That's good. Don't get baited into a rage-boner, because they gave the PS5 a nod over the XSX/S. You're still going to love playing games on that system too. After all, you're still going to buy it, and people only buy consoles to play games.

Ps5 is for sure (imo) gonna have a better first year overall. But things will likely even out after that. I’m glad I’m getting both

If you look at Series X and PS5, you'll all agree both are next gen in their feature set. But when it comes to real world examples of which among the two actually show the next gen from the very start of the console's launch? It's undoubtedly the PS5 thanks to dualsense, miles morales ray traced craziness at native 4k alongside a dynamic 4k60fps modes, demon's souls remake at dynamic 4k60fps. Sony's PS5 is show than just tell which unfortunately is where Xbox Series X is at right now as of this moment. They have talked too much on velocity architecture, boasting about full rdna 2, the 12tflop pride yet have zero tangible evidence of how that translates to in games. Meanwhile sony kept boasting about the SSD being game changer, and guess what that's exactly what we are seeing on PS5 games, a 1.5 sec load between save file to actual game, a 5-6 sec cold boot of miles morales, near instantaneous loading when your character dies in god fall and demon's souls remake. Sony continues to walk the walk while MS seem to talk the talk

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you look at Series X and PS5, you'll all agree both are next gen in their feature set. But when it comes to real world examples of which among the two actually show the next gen from the very start of the console's launch? It's undoubtedly the PS5 thanks to dualsense, miles morales ray traced craziness at native 4k alongside a dynamic 4k60fps modes, demon's souls remake at dynamic 4k60fps. Sony's PS5 is show than just tell which unfortunately is where Xbox Series X is at right now as of this moment. They have talked too much on velocity architecture, boasting about full rdna 2, the 12tflop pride yet have zero tangible evidence of how that translates to in games. Meanwhile sony kept boasting about the SSD being game changer, and guess that's exactly what we are seeing on PS5 games, a 1.5 sec load between save file to actual game, a 5-6 sec cold boot of miles morales, near instantaneous loading when your character dies in god fall and demon's souls remake. Sony continues to walk the walk while MS seem to talk the talk
So dynamic 4K and/or 30fps ray tracing for a cross gen game are real world examples of next gen, but 120fps, dynamic 4K60fps gears 5 and other games aren’t? Oh and can’t forget the triggers on a controller lol. Why don’t you throw 3D audio in there as a next gen exclusive feature for Sony as well? Lol oh and can’t forget that 11 year old PS3 game lol.

cut the bullshit - both consoles have extremely lacklustre launch titles. They’re both just cross gen games. Nothing made for either console is a true next gen game. They’re all just current gen games with an extra coat of paint.

Last edited:
So dynamic 4K and/or 30fps ray tracing for a cross gen game are real world examples of next gen, but 120fps, dynamic 4K60fps gears 5 and other games aren’t? Oh and can’t forget the triggers on a controller lol. Why don’t you throw 3D audio in there as a next gen exclusive feature for Sony as well? Lol oh and can’t forget that 11 year old PS3 game lol.

cut the bullshit - both consoles have extremely lacklustre launch titles. They’re both just cross gen games. Nothing made for either console is a true next gen game. They’re all just current gen games with an extra coat of paint.

tenor.gif

ruvikx

Banned
It looks like a good console for sure, i.e. despite my usual despondent cynical approach to new hardware, I say the controller looks awesome, I really like the fact there's a digital edition diskless version of the console which costs 100 eruo less (i.e. it's been years since I bought a boxed copy of a PlayStation game because the store promotions are usually far better value) & Demon Souls looks like one of the best launch games since Resistance on the ps3.

Miles Morales/Spiderman can fuck off though.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I can see how this might make certain factions salivate with thoughts of victory and confirmation of self worth (cus you know, its tied to what console you buy)

However, this only confirms what all the smart people on this board have been saying since the specs for both consoles were released. That is the fact that both consoles are sufficiently powerfull, true next gen consoles, regardless of one being 10% faster at this, or 10% slower at that. Both machines can put out amazing load times, graphics, and experiences.

Azurro

Banned
Xbox has no next gen games also but gloryfing ps5's cross gen dlc, remake of old game and mediocre platformer with weak graphics is kinda stretchy, don't you think?

I don't understand this attitude, are you telling yourself these things to convince yourself you are not missing out on anything? The cross gen DLC is 10 hours and looks better than all Xbox cross gen games, I don't know since when an incredible looking remake is a bad thing and everyone seems to love Astrobot as a showcase of what the DualSense can do.

I mean, if we are going to be going to go down that route, what are people going to do on Xbox One Series X? Replay Doom?

Last edited:
So dynamic 4K and/or 30fps ray tracing for a cross gen game are real world examples of next gen, but 120fps, dynamic 4K60fps gears 5 and other games aren’t? Oh and can’t forget the triggers on a controller lol.

That‘s just like your opinion man. Demon’s Souls is not cross gen and while Miles Morales is cross gen the PS5 version will wipe the floor compared to PS4/Pro version, especially in ray traced quality mode. Ray tracing can make cross gen titles really look next gen on the new consoles.

Zheph

That‘s just like your opinion man. Demon’s Souls is not cross gen and while Miles Morales is cross gen the PS5 version will wipe the floor compared to PS4/Pro version, especially in ray traced quality mode. Ray tracing can make cross gen titles really look next gen on the new consoles.
“an extra coat of paint”

CthulhuPL

I don't understand this attitude, are you telling yourself these things to convince yourself you are not missing out on anything? The cross gen DLC is 10 hours and looks better than all Xbox cross gen games, I don't know since when an incredible looking remake is a bad thing and everyone seems to love Astrobot as a showcase of what the DualSense can do.

I mean, if we are going to be going to go down that route, what are people going to do on Xbox One Series X? Replay Doom?
If you are satisfied with what sony has on launch then i have no more questions. New low achieved.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh and can’t forget the triggers on a controller lol. Why don’t you throw 3D audio in there as a next gen exclusive feature for Sony as well? Lol oh and can’t forget that 11 year old PS3 game lol.

Haptic feedback and triggers are important if well used, they connect you to the game... as tires connect you to the road for a car but sure some smarty pants dismiss good tires too.

I should not enjoy how much you get angry about the remake/remaster of Demon’s Souls and how many heads it is turning but you make it hard in this thread: launch game which manages to show off the 3D pumping capabilities of these machines as well as super fast loading times? —> “Quick... gotta find something to crap on it with... ah, I got it, I will mock it for being a remake of an old game... ah yes, that will get them on my side”...

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you are satisfied with what sony has on launch then i have no more questions. New low achieved.

Let’s give them both a 6-10 months launch window and see then, fair comparison between both.

Like they have proven with PS4 BC, just because they are quiet about it does not mean they are not working at it and end up turning heads in a positive way. Sure, BC wise XSX mostly gets a win thanks to the improved AF and more generations supported (unless the title has a locked resolution they cannot move past, see Just Cause 3).

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

Yeah, you can get good next gen games on PS5, if that's a low then I'm glad because it can only go up from what's already a pretty good launch. I'm also considering getting Godfall if it reviews well. :)

I just find it a bit sad, because if your criteria is only good, next gen only, exclusive games, then you will never have any games to play on Xbox.

CthulhuPL

Yeah, you can get good next gen games on PS5, if that's a low then I'm glad because it can only go up from what's already a pretty good launch. I'm also considering getting Godfall if it reviews well. :)

I just find it a bit sad, because if your criteria is only good, next gen only, exclusive games, then you will never have any games to play on Xbox.
That is troll fanboyism. I'm not reacting to it.

Top Bottom