• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamesindustry: Critics agree that Sony's PS5 transcends on-paper comparisons to Xbox

molly14

I’m quite new coming back here, and I’ve only read a handful of your posts, but you’re EXACTLY the kind of gamer he’s talking about.

Don't take any notice of that cop guy.The amount of fud he has posted in these forums over the last year and trying to pass of as FACT is too many to list.

Didn't he start a thread or something that he had proof the ps5 was only 8tf or something,surprised he hasnt been banned for good.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I don't know why people want to downplay the glowing reviews for Astro's Playroom. It has an 82 on Metacritic and its free! And its not just a merely tech demo but a pretty solid platformer to boot.

Ridiculous as it might sound, that's the PS5 launch title that seems most interesting to me. I will have to admit to a certain amount of bias though, since I loved Astros Rescue Mission on PSVR.

Azurro

Banned
That is troll fanboyism. I'm not reacting to it.

I'm honestly not trying to troll you, I'm just asking you, if you dislike cross gen games and you don't like remakes...what will you play on Xbox? Microsoft said all their games will be cross gen for 2 years, will you use your Series X as a doorstop?

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
You. I like you. How wonderful would Gaf be, if the most ardent Sony-fans stayed out of Xbox threads and the most ardent Xbox-fans stayed out of Sony threads..

It's not so simple, i.e. news outlets get their clicks from pushing the same console warring. The absolute only stuff in these consoles which can be subject to positive or negative criticism right now is how good is the experience in November 2020, that's it.

Because we have no idea "how" the ps5 or Series X will transcend their on-paper specs this gen. We'll have to wait for games (exclusives & multiplats) + build quality as well. Once this stuff is in the hands of actual gamers & more stuff has been released, comparisons can be made & we'll get a better picture.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
By that logic Xbox one with Kinect was the most nextgen console of time.

It kinda was, 32 meg infinity cache, LIDAR camera, smartglass second screen integration, facetime, backwards compatibility, integrated game hints/help, 1 v 100 royale , voice control, PIP video, 3d hardware audio, hdmi and cable tv/ tuner support, remote game streaming and video streaming services.

Lets be serious real gamers dont want any of that....

or do they?

YoodlePro

gesE6HM.jpg
Oh man, I want to see your meltdown.

ZywyPL

Banned
Are there any actual games other than Astro that actually utilize the DualSense tho? Like WD, AC, upcoming CoD or CP2077, any of the BC/patched PS4 titles? Demon Souls or Miles Morales maybe? Because whenever I read all the praise about DualSense all of it is based solely on that tiny tech demo and not what really matters, the games, not even the 1st party launch titles it seems...

By that logic Xbox one with Kinect was the most nextgen console of time.

It was. It was way more advanced than any modern TV with all the build-in AI, voice recognition etc., years ago, it was basically MS really wanted the XB1 to be the center of the living room, but that came at a cost, 100$ to be precise, hence it didn't took off and died pretty quickly, it just wasn't a crucial gaming-related feature, but I saw the concept, experienced it, and I kow where MS

MrFunSocks

Banned
That‘s just like your opinion man. Demon’s Souls is not cross gen and while Miles Morales is cross gen the PS5 version will wipe the floor compared to PS4/Pro version, especially in ray traced quality mode. Ray tracing can make cross gen titles really look next gen on the new consoles.
Demons souls is a PS3 game with a new coat of paint lol. Miles morales is a new coat of paint on the PS4 game. It’s a cross gen game. It’s no more a next gen game than gears 5 or sea of thieves.

Killer8

I know how dualsense works, but if you think that adding pressure to triggers is a game changer then I don't know what to say. The vibration motors in the triggers on the XB1 could give relatively the same effect.

The Xbox One and the Series S/X also have dedicated audio hardware lol. They both have 3D audio and they support the industry leading and industry standard formats in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, along with Windows Sonic, MS's own 3D audio. You don't seem to know enough about any of this to be able to argue that Sony's proprietary solution is better and "much more immersive and accurate experience" lol. You really believe that they just came out and have beaten the industry leaders on their first go? You are also overlooking the fact that they only support 3D audio over headphones, whereas the Xbox supports it over surround sound systems as well as headphones.

But please, tell me exactly how Sony's 3D Audio solution is better than both Dolby Atmos 3D Audio and Windows Sonic 3D audio.

Dolby Atmos Headphone, DTS Headphone:X and Windows Sonic are all variants of HRTF/binaural audio tech, yes. That doesn't say anything about the 'quality' (ie. the algorithms/mathematics) behind each implementation though. The basic technology has been around for over 20 years and it continues to be iterated upon - development of HRTF isn't going to just stop with Atmos Headphone.

I have spent hours messing around with different HRIR profiles on PC using the HeSuVi app and the quality of each is very variable. Windows Sonic sounds like you are in a giant, echoing tin can. It's garbage, why even mention it? Dolby Atmos Headphone is better but still limited in terms of immersion. Very little so far has been able to replicate the feeling of being in a given game/movie scene, rather than just being surrounded by audio from different directions. The main problem to be solved is that the HRTF profile needs to be personalized to some degree for a person's ears. The old "one size fits all" approach is one of the things Sony are attempting to fix. Five HRTF profiles will be available to pick, with potentially more to come (maybe even using user data eg. photographs of people's ears).

Maybe watch Cerny's presentation so perhaps you can know enough about how all this works:

Other advantages over Dolby Atmos is no limit of 32 sound sources. Tempest can do 'hundreds'. Atmos can technically do hundreds as well, but Dolby have limited it so as to not muddy up the mix. But this will be less of a concern as we are now starting to see other technologies interplay with the HRTF, like ray-traced audio (Microsoft's Project Acoustics is this), or LOD-like systems except for sound sources rather than polygon models. We now have more than enough power on a dedicated chip to finally be able to do this.

At the end of the day, it will come down to what the average person perceives as "sounds better". If Sony's personalized HRTF sounds more convincing than the current Dolby Atmos, then it's better, even if the fundamentals underpinning both technologies are similar.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The SSD + IO advantage of the PS5 may turn out to become a real thing in PS5 exclusives as far as impact on game design. It might not. We'll see.

That's kind of contrary statement IMO - it might turn out to be an advantage, BUT - only in exclusives, a.k.a. games that cannot be compared elsewhere.... So you can build up any philosophy you want than cannot be verified, like we saw some people already tried with HFW - "You see! Told you, this game looks so damn good because the SSD loads all those high quality assets directly to the GPU, Cerny is a true genius and visionary!" - except it turned out it's a PS4 game and SSD has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm probably getting both. I can't miss out on those sweet PS5 exclusives. I'm so, so pumped for God of War: Ragnarok.

I was thinking about an XSX, but my huge fear is that Microsoft starts locking exclusive games behind Gamepass and removes the option to buy them. Gamepass is good as a rental service, but I like to own my games. If I could be sure I could buy a physical or digital version of ESVI or Starfield on XSX then I'd also buy that console as well.

Are there any actual games other than Astro that actually utilize the DualSense tho? Like WD, AC, upcoming CoD or CP2077, any of the BC/patched PS4 titles? Demon Souls or Miles Morales maybe? Because whenever I read all the praise about DualSense all of it is based solely on that tiny tech demo and not what really matters, the games, not even the 1st party launch titles it seems...

It was. It was way more advanced than any modern TV with all the build-in AI, voice recognition etc., years ago, it was basically MS really wanted the XB1 to be the center of the living room, but that came at a cost, 100$ to be precise, hence it didn't took off and died pretty quickly, it just wasn't a crucial gaming-related feature, but I saw the concept, experienced it, and I kow where MS

I believe TLOU2 will utilize the adaptive triggers.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Dolby Atmos Headphone, DTS Headphone:X and Windows Sonic are all variants of HRTF/binaural audio tech, yes. That doesn't say anything about the 'quality' (ie. the algorithms/mathematics) behind each implementation though. The basic technology has been around for over 20 years and it continues to be iterated upon - development of HRTF isn't going to just stop with Atmos Headphone.

I have spent hours messing around with different HRIR profiles on PC using the HeSuVi app and the quality of each is very variable. Windows Sonic sounds like you are in a giant, echoing tin can. It's garbage, why even mention it? Dolby Atmos Headphone is better but still limited in terms of immersion. Very little so far has been able to replicate the feeling of being in a given game/movie scene, rather than just being surrounded by audio from different directions. The main problem to be solved is that the HRTF profile needs to be personalized to some degree for a person's ears. The old "one size fits all" approach is one of the things Sony are attempting to fix. Five HRTF profiles will be available to pick, with potentially more to come (maybe even using user data eg. photographs of people's ears).

Maybe watch Cerny's presentation so perhaps you can know enough about how all this works:

Other advantages over Dolby Atmos is no limit of 32 sound sources. Tempest can do 'hundreds'. Atmos can technically do hundreds as well, but Dolby have limited it so as to not muddy up the mix. But this will be less of a concern as we are now starting to see other technologies interplay with the HRTF, like ray-traced audio (Microsoft's Project Acoustics is this), or LOD-like systems except for sound sources rather than polygon models. We now have more than enough power on a dedicated chip to finally be able to do this.

At the end of the day, it will come down to what the average person perceives as "sounds better". If Sony's personalized HRTF sounds more convincing than the current Dolby Atmos, then it's better, even if the fundamentals underpinning both technologies are similar.

That’s a lot of text to say “I have nothing to show that Sony’s 3D audio is better than the industry leaders 3D audio”.

Boy, here we go again.

"BotH LaUNch LInE-UPs aRe BaD"

RXx5YuG.jpeg
PS3 game.
PS4 game.
PS4 game.
Bundled tech demo.

Why didn’t you include all the Series X updated Xbox games? Oh right, “strategically selected criteria so you can dismiss the oppositions games fanboy list wars”.

Its a remake built from the ground up.
It’s still a port of a PS3 game lol.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
PS3 game.
PS4 game.
PS4 game.
Bundled tech demo.

Why didn’t you include all the Series X updated Xbox games? Oh right, “strategically selected criteria so you can dismiss the oppositions games fanboy list wars”.
Not my picture. But why would you include old games? Should we include updated PS4 titles as well? There are a lot you know?
Be happy the guy that made the pic even put Gears Tactics on there because I would have not.
Matter of fact is that the PS5 has a great launch line-up. Of course opinions/preferences on games can vary but the volume and quality is there and not disputable.

Last edited:
Boy, here we go again.

"BotH LaUNch LInE-UPs aRe BaD"

RXx5YuG.jpeg

Why do you only include Gears Tactics? There are many more first party launch games and a lot of games enhanced for Xbox Series consoles. A lot of 120 FPS titles etc.
Demons Souls is on PS3.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is on PS4

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is on PS4

Astro’s Playroom is a tech demo, not even a full price game, hence you get it for free included.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not my picture. But why would you include old games? Should we include updated PS4 titles as well? There are a lot you know?
Be happy the guy that made the pic even put Gears Tactics on there because I would have not.
Matter of fact is that the PS5 has a great launch line-up. Of course opinions/preferences on games can vary but the volume and quality is there and not disputable.
Literally every game on the ps5 launch lineup is available elsewhere though, that’s the thing. It’s a bad launch lineup because you don’t even need the console to play all the games. Do you understand that?

Tulipanzo

You can snark all you want, you've got to realize that the "bundled tech demo" is generating more excitement, discussion, and getting better reviews than anything XBox has had out in the past year.

Ultimately if MS had something, people would jump at the chance of talking about it. But MS is literally launching a system with no games...

John Wick

No vrr, expandable storage, 660gb available storage, no 1440p support, no rdna 3, no 13tf, no zen 3.....

All that fud in the spec thread just came back and bit yall in the ass lol

I mean the list goes on and on. Just enjoy your console and stop crying every chance you get.
So why are you crying so much for? It's quite obvious from the reviews that the PS5 got more glowing reviews. Yeah there are a few features missing like VRR and expandable storage etc. They can be added via firmware update.
The main thing is Sony has the 1st party games ready unlike MS. The games are the most important bit.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That’s a lot of text to say “I have nothing to show that Sony’s 3D audio is better than the industry leaders 3D audio”.

PS3 game.
PS4 game.
PS4 game.
Bundled tech demo.

Alright without surprise You made a stupid point.
Why didn't you emphasize that Gears Tactics is an Xbox one game too?
Yeah carefully selected criteria of 1st party exclusive coming out at launch ...Wow so biased ...
And why didn't he included every ps4 updated games from the previous gen ? Oh right because it would really be stupid to make a list about every exclusive that came out on ps4 and Xbox one.
But I guess you had to bitch about anything possible ?

The one part that I can understand being problematic is the mention of the PC port of Gears Tactics, it feels superfluous.And yet you didn't mention it.
In your haste to find something to criticize you missed the point that was indeed criticizable.

So yeah apparently now show first party games are a carefully selected criteria.
That's probably why Godfall ain't on that list but that wasn't a problem for you either.

But yeah keep diminishing the games that others want to play it will validate your console, maybe you'll feel like you "won" something.Congrat you made the good choice if that's what you nedded to hear now can we move on ?

NEbeast

I think I can survive without some vibration and resistance that's going to be supported in about 5% of games, also the SSD talk isn't really working out for you guys so far.

You sound so salty, stay out of the thread if it triggers you this much, you're sounding very in-secure right now.

Blue Spring

The one part that I can understand being problematic is the mention of the PC port of Gears Tactics, it feels superfluous.And yet you didn't mention it.
In your haste to find something to criticize you missed the point that was indeed criticizable.
I dont think its superfluous because it shows that its an old game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
both will be great consoles. get whatever one has the games you wanna play. i've got both ordered. as you can see i've been branded a console warrior because i like to have a bit of fun but really in the end it doesn't matter what platform you play on. if you want an Xbox get that. If you want a PS5 get that. You want both? get both.

Blue Spring

Yes but mentionning that leans a bit on the warring side of things, because then you should also mention cross gen games.
I guess but I find it not particularly necessary because everyone is most likely aware whats cross gen.
Getting a port of a old PC game is also not usual for a first party game.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I guess but I find it not particularly necessary because everyone is most likely aware whats cross gen.
Getting a port of a old PC game is also not usual for a first party game.
Yeah but you do get how that can triggers some of the more sensitive fanboys here?It's a diffference of treatment.

Dodkrake

Banned
Xbox fans: "we have all the launch games, most diverse launch ever, >20 first party console exclusives from day 1, we win big dick URRR RUUURUU. PS5 has no games, all of them are coming to PS4, Demon's souls is a PS3 remake.

PS5 fans: "You do realize ALL those Xbox exclusives are available on the One and PC, right?"

Xbox fans: "It doesn't matter, urr durr, 12TF RAY Tracing SFS VRR VRS Tier 2 FULL RDNA 2 INTEGRATION, PS5 doesn't run Direct X 12 Ultimate, 13TF for ray tracing.

Blue Spring

Xbox fans: "we have all the launch games, most diverse launch ever, >20 first party console exclusives from day 1, we win big dick URRR RUUURUU. PS5 has no games, all of them are coming to PS4, Demon's souls is a PS3 remake.

PS5 fans: "You do realize ALL those Xbox exclusives are available on the One and PC, right?"

Xbox fans: "It doesn't matter, urr durr, 12TF RAY Tracing SFS VRR VRS Tier 2 FULL RDNA 2 INTEGRATION, PS5 doesn't run Direct X 12 Ultimate, 13TF for ray tracing.
How dare you. Its 25TF for ray tracing.

Azurro

Banned
Demons souls is a PS3 game with a new coat of paint lol. Miles morales is a new coat of paint on the PS4 game. It’s a cross gen game. It’s no more a next gen game than gears 5 or sea of thieves.

I remember quite a bit how at first you were trying to get everyone on some morality crusade against remakes, how they devolve the industry or something similar to that. Then when that didn't work, you are trying now to belittle it as much as you can. I understand you love your trolling, but what do you get out of it? If your Xbox had so many great games coming out, shouldn't you be happy with those?

Since you have such "interesting" standards, what will you call your machine? The Xbox Series X door stopper, special paper weight edition? Since you know, it doesn't have any games. ;)

VinnyMac

PS3 game.
PS4 game.
PS4 game.
Bundled tech demo.

I'm sorry did he say launch lineup exclusive to each system? No he said first party releases i love how every xbox fan shits on the ps5 lineup "ps3 game ps4 game" but then in the same sentence cries about not including Xbox bc enhanced games lol.

Also by your logic re 2,3 remake are just ports of the ps1 games right? Fuck outta here do you realize how dumb it sounds to say demons souls is just a ps3 game? The game is literally BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP. Meaning it uses all new everything all it takes from the ps3 is the story and layout. Some of you really need to get a grip and educate yourselves on the difference between a remaster and a remake.

VinnyMac

Literally every game on the ps5 launch lineup is available elsewhere though, that’s the thing. It’s a bad launch lineup because you don’t even need the console to play all the games. Do you understand that?

Literally the only thing xbox fans say is they "want to experience the game the best way possible" like do you understand that even tho you can play all these games elsewhere the best version on them are still on the ps5? Like youre throwing shade when Literally that is the only reason to upgrade to a series x you can LITERALLY play everything at launch on a 1x EVERYTHING.

Beside of the controller, PS5 does everything worse than Xbox Series X.
Even their first party games can't compete against Microsoft 30 studios.

So yeah I don't get this at all.

FunkMiller

Tweets, articles and seven pages of gaf later and I still don't understand what's going on, and here. Could someone parse it for me please.

anwmpMq.gif

The Playstation 5 launch is a bit better than the X Box Series X launch, and this is basically the worst thing that's ever happened, and must be refuted and argued against until the end of days.

Kdad

Yes, and Sony retweeted it, which was the persons point that sony are engaging with these console war articles and using them as marketing.
I've never heard of gamesindustry being accused of console wars...they are an actual news unit unlike all the blogger shit normally posted here. I think you're completely wrong in your assessment of GI.

Top Bottom