• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamesindustry: Critics agree that Sony's PS5 transcends on-paper comparisons to Xbox

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Objectively, the critical reception of the Series X launch cannot be what MS would have hoped for.

Revenues better had be solid or Phil might find himself under pressure.

longdi

Banned
Yes, and Sony retweeted it, which was the persons point that sony are engaging with these console war articles and using them as marketing.

Yes that's my issue too. When Phil or Greenberg retweeted similar news, they got a lot of negative feelings shot back at them. Even Albert Penello, a third party, got the negatives too. 🤷‍♀️

PS5 has better back compatibility than Xbox SX. PS4’s Library is bigger than all the titles Xbox Series can play from any generation. A huge subset of kinect games are completely useless. While you can play all your VR games on PS5. But Microsoft is excused from providing a free adapter for Kinect users?

Elginer

Have a One X which I adore and is only 6 months old. It feels slightly next gen to me at times (RDR2) and the BC is beast.
I just don’t feel a need to upgrade at the moment while Sony is luring me with Spider-Man and Godfall with a kickass new controller.
Once Fable comes out and is hopefully awesome I’ll get a Series X but at the moment it doesn’t feel like must have at the moment.

Star Citizen has an extremely large game world scale and detailed textures.

M4dSAng.gif

You really had to scrape from the barrel huh?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Watching the vids in looks like Sony changed things up more than XBOX as far as UI and that goes a long way in next gen feel.

Neither system seems to be showing off true Next gen games, except for Miles Morales.

Both look cool with their fast loading but no games are calling to me to spend 100's of dollars.

Iced Arcade

People are losing their shit for no reason.

The article is pretty much a praise of the new controller and the fact it has a flagship title... I prefer Xbox generally over PS and think it's generally a better machine BUT the duelsense does sound amazing and 343i must be catching large beatings daily for leaving the Series Without a flagship game where Sony has Spiderman MM.

Again love absolutely love the Xbox controller but the duelsense is new and interesting (wouldn't be shocked if MS replicates). And The fuck up of 343 left MS without a flagship at launch.

Last edited:
It's true. And it's not just about the games, which XSX is lacking in big time. The Dual Sense changes everything. While MS was only thinking of raw power, seemingly ignoring how their game development has been going for the past couple of years, Sony drastically changed something very important, the controller. And everyone is loving it. As some articles have suggested, it's going to be something that draws casuals and hardcore gamers alike. Like Wii Sports did back on the Wii. MS dropped the ball big time, again.

bender

What time is it?
Sony did a good job for their launch.

-Say what you want but they do have compelling software at launch in Demon Souls, Astrobot (pack-in), and Miles Morales. Yes Demon Souls is a remake but it's from Bluepoint who are the best in the business. Yes Miles Morales is cross-generation but it appears effort has been put into taking advantage of the PS5 and it's new.
-It's not up to par with Microsoft's efforts, but BC seems to exceed most expectations and I think that's largely thanks to them being so mum on the subject leading to launch.
-Speaking of BC, if you have PS Plus, the PS Plus Collection is pretty awesome assortment of titles. I'm excited to finally try out the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.
-Speaking of PS Plus, mother fucking Bugsnax (-5 points)
-The reception to the DualSense has been overwhelming positive.

There are obvious shortcomings in the OS but Sony has a track record of improving their OS, starting with the PS3 so I'm willing to give them a temporary pass. They really need to figure out software archiving in a hurry though..

Software is the most important thing and while Microsoft's hardware is impressive, they've really stumbled out of the gate here. That's a little troubling considering how light their output has been this last year and late generation support is a pretty common theme for them through the Xbox generations. Gamepass will help soften that blow and they've made a ton of acquisitions so software is on the horizon. I'm a little shocked they didn't put more effort into getting Flight Sim ready for launch. I'd have held onto my Series X pre-order if it were available. Maybe I'm putting my own interest ahead of how much that might have moved the needle for the masses. If Microsoft had more new software, they'd have garnered more buzz.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Simple PS4’s library is bigger than Xbox One’s.
400+ games bigger?

you can’t call ps5s bc better when it runs worse versions of games and is limited to 1 generation vs 3.

It's true. And it's not just about the games, which XSX is lacking in big time. The Dual Sense changes everything. While MS was only thinking of raw power, seemingly ignoring how their game development has been going for the past couple of years, Sony drastically changed something very important, the controller. And everyone is loving it. As some articles have suggested, it's going to be something that draws casuals and hardcore gamers alike. Like Wii Sports did back on the Wii. MS dropped the ball big time, again.
Do you really think that some different force feedback on the triggers is a game changer that will draw the casuals in? Seriously? What a ridiculous suggestion lol.

Last edited:
Have been more into Team Xbox so far, but Sony really got this down imo.
The hardware is hideous, but I kind of start liking what they seem to have done with the controller, Miles Morales gives me that "wow next gen" feeling, and Astrobot plus Sackboy give me the whimsical feel of games that Sony had left a bit for a few years. The console really needed something else than "cinematic 3rd person action adventure", and they gave us that.

I expect Microsoft showing the goods in one or two years, but right now it shows they are not ready yet.

Good job, Sony.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

For indulging in this level of bait.

Gamesindustry.biz is THE place for industry news and interviews, and very geared towards developers and people, well, in the industry. Linking to it and pulling a quote from it that's positive towards the company he has a major part in isn't "baiting." He's proud of their product. From what I've seen over the years of being subscribed to Games Industry is that it's very level headed, and I don't think there is a shred of "bait" to it at all. It's reporting on the review trends of the consoles.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Are we really arguing about better BC?
Best selling console the past couple years and is breaking records two months in a row has zero BC. Zero!

People don't give a fuck about BC..
We’re talking about BC here, so yes? If you don’t want to talk about BC why are you responding to a discussion about BC?

BC is important. A portable console not having BC is irrelevant.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are we really arguing about better BC?
Best selling console the past couple years and is breaking records two months in a row has zero BC. Zero!

People don't give a fuck about BC..

Xbox doesn’t have the worst generation that they should escape from ASAP. Those other multiplats are found on PS5. At this early point of launch it’s like buying XSX for the novelty of it.

What next generation game at launch available on PS5? Spiderman man is cross gen.?

On Paper, Series X hardware better plus PS5 missing lot of features at launch. Ultimately to me both look like PC like upgrades not true next generation jump.

Killer8

At the end of the day, this generation is going to end up about the same as any other. Even if you concede that PS5 is 'weaker' than XSX (still hotly debated), it's still going to be all about the overall experience and the console defining exclusive games rather than graphics dick waving. If PS5 has other things up it's sleeve, like the overwhelmingly praised controller and 3D audio, these extra features might clinch victory in the multiplatform comparisons. The games on PS5 might end up 1800p instead of native 4K on XSX... but that might be ultimately meaningless if the overall experience just feels better on PS5.

Lort

Banned
As everyone noted .. both launch lineups suck... but playstation linueup does suck less.

slow clap...

Reminder that the xbox one had a better launch lineup than ps4.... ;)

love how they call that a bad launch lineup ... welcome to 2020 bitches lol

As everyone noted .. both launch lineups suck... but playstation linueup does suck less.

slow clap...

Reminder that the xbox one had a better launch lineup than ps4.... ;)

love how they call that a bad launch lineup ... welcome to 2020 bitches lol

I love being reminded other people have bad taste!

Top Bottom