• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: "Hidetaka Miyazaki On Bringing Elden Ring To A Close And The Future Of From Software"

GrayChild

The launch of Shadow of the Erdtree brings a new and exciting journey for From Software to its end. Elden Ring, released two years ago, was the studio's first venture into the open-world genre, a massive undertaking full of complex challenges even for studios that have a long history of making them, let alone one taking its first crack at it.

For From Software and game director Hidetaka Miyazaki, it was an opportunity to leverage years of experience making Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and other titles to give players a game that retains the sense of adventure and challenge the studio is known for, while also offering the freedom to explore a vast landscape full of possibilities. Shadow of the Erdtree, the first and only DLC of Elden Ring, is the completion of that vision.

With the expansion on the cusp of release (read our Shadow of the Erdtree review here), GameSpot spoke to Miyazaki-san about this journey and the road to making Elden Ring happen, as well as what he learned from the experience, what he envisions his next projects being, and the future of From Software as a whole.

Lots of interesting details, and some slight teases on what FROMSoft plans on doing next.

Tarin02543

they should do a gta cycle with the next elden rings and do sequels in between (dark souls 4, sekiro 2, demon souls/bloodborne pc etc)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Arguably the best hack and slash game ever made.
Comparing Sekiro to hack and slash games is one of the highest crimes in gaming.

giphy.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Elden Ring is the first game in years that I actually needed to play sober. Erdtree is probably gonna wreck me, and I can’t wait.

But, still, I am a simple man. All I want is Bloodborne at 60 fps, preferably on PC.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I want a bunch more games where he’s the creative director. I know he’s got a big role in the company, but I hope he sticks it out for a while.

Gojiira

Do bloodborne 2 and make it multiplatform along with bb remake
Make a sequel and remake multiplatform of a Sony owned franchise?….
My gawd the port beggars really need to get it into their heads, Playstation OWN Demons Souls and Bloodborne…And priority should always be PS5 remake/remaster of Bloodborne. Sequels, then maybe,just maybe a pc port….Multiplatform though Lmao no

tusharngf

Make a sequel and remake multiplatform of a Sony owned franchise?….
My gawd the port beggars really need to get it into their heads, Playstation OWN Demons Souls and Bloodborne…And priority should always be PS5 remake/remaster of Bloodborne. Sequels, then maybe,just maybe a pc port….Multiplatform though Lmao no
i got platinum trophy in bloodborne ! Dont take my reply as a port begging. i want everyone to enjoy this masterpiece.

xCLXeiw.jpeg

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
I want a bunch more games where he’s the creative director. I know he’s got a big role in the company, but I hope he sticks it out for a while.
Even if he retires soon I think they are in good hands.

Dark Souls 2 directors:
  • Tomohiro Shibuya
  • Yui Tanimura
Dark Souls 3 Co-directors:
  • Isamu Okano
  • Yui Tanimura
Sekiro Co-director:
  • Kazuhiro Hamatani
Elden Ring Co-director:
  • Yui Tanimura
Armored Core 6 director:
  • Masaru Yamamura

Hudo

Gold Member
Let me put it this way: King's Field

Edit: And before some of you retards go "noooo Miyazaki should do Sekiro or something new or Bloodborne 2 instead!!11". I never talked about Miyazaki. And even the man himself said he'd prefer the OG to do a new one (and I agree with him):

Miyazaki himself in a 2016 Forbes interview:
“I feel that King's Field and Dark Souls are two separate entities. For starters, yes, the perspective is different, but also they are guided by differing core game design concepts. As for a revival of King's Field, that’s a very difficult question. This is because King's Field is the brainchild of From's former president Naotoshi Jin, and if I or anyone else were to attempt a revival of the series, we would run the risk of creating a pale imitation. On a personal level, the first King's Field was one of my favorite games when I was just a gamer myself, and I believe there would be fascinating ways to bring it back, but all of these ideas would be contingent on Jin serving as director.”

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

We need Sekiro 2 asap. Arguably the best hack and slash game ever made. Yes, even better than Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 3, Bayonetta 2 and Metal Gear Rising.
I wouldnt class it as Hack n Slash personally, but yes.
The true ending needs a sequel, time for a Journey to the West…

Kokoloko85

Give me:

New IP - The next Successor to Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring etc
Sekiro 2 - They were clearly heading for a next adventure in the Return ending
Bloodborne 2 - Sequel/Prequel - Time is so mixed in those games, just give it to me

KingsField VR

They are obviously gonna do Elden Ring 2

GrayChild

Give me:

New IP - The next Successor to Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring etc
Sekiro 2 - They were clearly heading for a next adventure in the Return ending
Bloodborne 2 - Sequel/Prequel - Time is so mixed in those games, just give it to me

KingsField VR

They are obviously gonna do Elden Ring 2
Miyazaki said that none of the several projects FROM are working on right now is related to Elden Ring.

Alebrije

Doubt : who is the owner of Bloodborne IP ,Sony or From?

If is Sony do not see a BB2 on PC or other platforms. Also think that if Sony owns BB we have more chance to get BB2 than if its owned by FROM

Last edited:

digdug2

Doubt : who is the owner of Bloodborne IP ,Sony or From?

If is Sony do not see a BB2 on PC or other platforms. Also think that if Sony owns BB we have more chance to get BB2 than if its owned by FROM
Sony owns Bloodborne and Demon's Souls. I don't see them hitting any other platform than maybe PC in the foreseeable future.

Zannegan

Gold Member
Do bloodborne 2 and make it multiplatform along with bb remake
The sequel would have to be a "Darkborne" or something a la Demon Souls -> Dark Souls.

I wouldn't mind a bit as Bloodborne is the only Souls game I've really loved, and the more people that get to experience something like it the better. You'll never see BB go multiplatform though as it is a Sony owned IP any more than you'll see Pokemon go multiplatform even though the developer isn't owned by Nintendo (just the creatures themselves, which is odd).

The best you can hope for with Bloodborne or Demon Souls is a PC port... with a required Playstation account (if that matters to you).

BbMajor7th

Put me in the new IP camp. New setting too. They've rinsed dark fantasy - time for something new. Dark Souls meets Dead Space? I know I'd be there.

Top Bottom