• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: The Terror Of Liminal Spaces In Video Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

How are liminal spaces used in video games, and what makes them so terrifying?

From the original DOOM to Gone Home; liminal spaces have crept their way into the experiences we love, a lot of the time without us noticing. In addition to examining big name titles that happen to have liminal spaces in them, I played four games that use liminal spaces as their backdrop. Superliminal, Anemoiapolis, Escape the Backrooms, and Dream Logic. Let's explore what makes them so gosh darn scary.

TonyK

Ok, instead of asking it, I google the definition because I didn't know what liminal space was.

Liminal space refers to the place a person is in during a transitional period. It's a gap, and can be physical (like a doorway), emotional (like a divorce) or metaphorical (like a decision).

kiphalfton

Ok, instead of asking it, I google the definition because I didn't know what liminal space was.

Liminal space refers to the place a person is in during a transitional period. It's a gap, and can be physical (like a doorway), emotional (like a divorce) or metaphorical (like a decision).

Oh boy

Last edited:

Banned
I love liminal spaces, be it real ones or CGI interpretations.

c8ony5cq6tz91.jpg

ehtlenp95hz91.jpg

Top Bottom