• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameSpot] Xbox Series X Is At The "End Of The Beginning" Of Its Life Cycle, Phil Spencer Says

Bo_Hazem

Banned
xbox-boss-phil-spencer-sees-the-funny-side-in-yakuza-phil-meme.large.jpg

In a new interview, Xbox head Phil Spencer explained how the Xbox Series X|S consoles are only just getting started, and with the third anniversary of these systems coming up, how he sees this Xbox console cycle being at the "end of the beginning" of its life -cycle now that certain supply chain issues had been resolved.

"I think we're kind of at the end of the beginning. I think the supply issues early on lengthened the beginning to some extent, both on cost, as well as availability," Spencer said to IGN. "I think from a game dev standpoint, not just us but third-parties, you're really just now starting to see the swell of games that got slowed up during COVID production now starting to launch. There are so many games coming right now, that we're starting to get through the beginning of this generation and hopefully into a place where as the owner of a console, we've got games that are taking full advantage of the hardware and are great games for people to go and play."

The last few console generations have lasted around five to seven years, with the previous generation being notable for introducing mid-gen refreshes like the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro. Touching on that topic, Spencer said that he didn't envision seeing such a refresh for the Xbox Series X|S line--beyond a storage update for the Xbox Series S--and that he was more focused on helping developers push the current hardware to its limits to make their games stand out graphically.

"I think we need to let devs settle on this hardware and get the most out of it," Spencer explained. "But in terms of increased frame rate, increased resolution, I just look at what goes on on PC with the high-end GPUs and high-end CPUs, and it's not always just about pixel count or frame resolution. I think there are a bunch of things that go into what makes a game look and feel great, and we have a ton of headroom as an industry there."

The next big game that'll be testing the limits of Xbox hardware is Starfield, which launches in early access on September 1. Bethesda's new space-exploration game has a more cinematic output on console, as it'll be locked to 4K/30fps on Xbox Series X and 1440p/30fps on Xbox Series S.

"But in terms of increased frame rate, increased resolution, I just look at what goes on on PC with the high-end GPUs and high-end CPUs, and it's not always just about pixel count or frame resolution. I think there are a bunch of things that go into what makes a game look and feel great, and we have a ton of headroom as an industry there."

Nice dodge on the 30fps elephant in the room.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think Xbox starts the new generation for them a year maybe two after the PS5 Pro and we no longer see the consoles release in the same time frame

Can't see that happening. Xbox is trailing back and won't get ahead without bringing solid 1st party games for that system to be justified for early release. Xbox is most likely heading to oblivion going forward, maybe another gen max.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thinking the same, but with xbox these days youll always be better off with a decent PC anyways.
I agree but I will know a lot of people who prefer a console even if its meant limiting performance
I'm very interested in seeing how this unfolds. I still think it will be a terrible decision.
Can't see that happening. Xbox is trailing back and won't get ahead without bringing solid 1st party games for that system to be justified for early release. Xbox is most likely heading to oblivion going forward, maybe another gen max.
The feeling is Xbox wants a whole year maybe two of having the newest console on the block for sales.

Obviously this is pretty far off and who knows what 2 or 3 years from now looks like

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"But in terms of increased frame rate, increased resolution, I just look at what goes on on PC with the high-end GPUs and high-end CPUs, and it's not always just about pixel count or frame resolution. I think there are a bunch of things that go into what makes a game look and feel great, and we have a ton of headroom as an industry there."

Nice dodge on the 30fps elephant in the room.
He's been segwaying into the "PC is our Pro Console" for the past several interviews now. One of the few ambiguous statements that's easy to read between the lines.

Stuart360

We are halfway through, you moron.
You know better than him when the next consoles are coming eh?.

I think people are going to be in for a bit of a shock, i feel another 360/ps3 gen is in the horizon. 10 year gen easy, hell we have only really just dropped last gen support and its coming up to 10 years. Next gen console will probably launch before 10 years of course but i expect another 6 years before next gen console, 5 years at the earliest.

I think Xbox starts the new generation for them a year maybe two after the PS5 Pro and we no longer see the consoles release in the same time frame
Yikes, Then we will have comparisons from games on different generations of hardware.
I can see the posts now.
"Resident Evil City will get a steady 30 FPS compared to PS6"
"Yea but your comparing it with a console that is years older, of course it should be better."
"Well I'm fine enjoying my PS6 that I have NOW, You can wait for the next gen."

clarky

Gold Member
Can Phil Spencer speak without pr riddles?
If that statement confuses you i dont know what to say.

Translation for you "Series X has been shit for the last 3 years, now we are actually releasing stuff Enjoy it while you can because well have a new console out for you in another 3"

I think people are going to be in for a bit of a shock, i feel another 360/ps3 gen is in the horizon. 10 year gen easy, hell we have only really just dropped last gen support and its coming up to 10 years. Next gen console will probably launch before 10 years of course but i expect another 6 years before next gen console, 5 years at the earliest.
I've highlighted the correct part as Phil went on record and said that he expects this gen to last till 2028 in those FTC hearings a few months back.

Found it: https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/...-next-generation-of-consoles-to-begin-in-2028

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You will have handheld PCs that are more powerful than the series X and ps5 home consoles before 2029, the speed at which technology is advancing will mean these consoles will feel pretty archaic should the generation last 10 years or more.

That would be simply a repeat of X1X releasing one year after Pro, trying to copy again Sony, except they would obviously call it new generation (because it would hopefully sell better). So if they do this they would logically try to copy (but not succeeding obviously) PS5 super fast I/O into their next hardware.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Strange generation so far. Both companies upgraded early during a pandemic when they should have waited for better more powerful components at better prices.

And they've both got barely any exclusives as proof

7 years after the previous console launch is "early"?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The feeling is Xbox wants a whole year maybe two of having the newest console on the block for sales.

Obviously this is pretty far off and who knows what 2 or 3 years from now looks like
Yeah, I can see what they are trying to do. I just think it'll again turn out to be a decision like Series S that would later bite them in the ass.

Even if they release a console when there's no PS6 in the market available to buy, it will end up in a very similar situation as it did in 2021 and 2022. PS5 was severely short on supply and Xbox (especially Series S) was relatively easily available. Xbox still couldn't take the lead, and then the PS5 shortage ceased.

In this scenario, Xbox will take a temporary headstart for 1-2 years (when Xbox itself will be short on supply as all new consoles are). Then PS6 will release, significantly more powerful, and PS6 will destroy it in sales. What's worse is that, unlike this current generation, Xbox will be left with underpowered consoles throughout the rest of their generation.

Also, Xbox benefited from a lot of marketing hype before console launch. And a lot of that hype was because both Xbox and PS5 was getting released. If Xbox is doing its own thing, I don't believe they'd get as much news coverage or hype outside of forums and Reddit, amongst casuals that make up the bulk of the market share.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Yeah, I can see what they are trying to do. I just think it'll again turn out to be a decision like Series S that would later bite them in the ass.

Even if they release a console when there's no PS6 in the market available to buy, it will end up in a very similar situation as it did in 2021 and 2022. PS5 was severely short on supply and Xbox (especially Series S) was relatively easily available. Xbox still couldn't take the lead, and then the PS5 shortage ceased.

In this scenario, Xbox will take a temporary headstart for 1-2 years (when Xbox itself will be short on supply as all new consoles are). Then PS6 will release, significantly more powerful, and PS6 will destroy it in sales. What's worse is that, unlike this current generation, Xbox will be left with underpowered consoles throughout the rest of their generation.

Also, Xbox benefited from a lot of marketing hype before console launch. And a lot of that hype was because both Xbox and PS5 was getting released. If Xbox is doing its own thing, I don't believe they'd get as much news coverage or hype outside of forums and Reddit, amongst casuals that make up the bulk of the market share.
And the hype was because of the higher specs and teraflops
Some were saying that even the S was going to be better than the PS5

I don't see how they'll launch a console without comparing it to the PS6

Nankatsu

Gold Member
You gotta love how this guy makes it sound like Xbox had major demand and supply issues like Playstation had with PS5, considering how one console outsells the other.

Do we need to remind him PS5 outsells Xbox Series X 2:1 and that 2023 has been the most profitable year for PS5 even after facing real issues on supply and demand?

Not only we got a shit ton of Starfield threads, now it's StarPhil time.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Yeah not sure it would work for them and if they would do this is better cook the PS5 Pro and not sure they could pull that off affordably in say Spring 2026

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I kind of like the idea of Xbox releasing when they want to instead of timed with the competition. They're going for their own thing with the acquisitions and Game Pass. Might as well go all the way with it. Plus I'd rather stagger my new console purchases.

EDIT: I wonder how much sticker shock goes into consideration for a mid-gen refresh too. I can't imagine the PS5 Pro will come in anywhere close to $399 for a digital only device. Are we thinking $599 at the cheapest?

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I'm very interested in seeing how this unfolds. I still think it will be a terrible decision.
Nintendo proves that you can jump generations when you want if you have the right plan. I do think like you but more because Xbox does not seems to be able to do the right thing since the 360 days.
I agree but I will know a lot of people who prefer a console even if its meant limiting performance

The question is what can they do to make a 2 year wait worth it? If Sony get 1 to 2 years alone in the next gen it can put 10 to 20 millions consoles on the market. In a perfect world I would love them to do a Megadrive and put a really better console than Sony but with tech being slow to evolve and Sony using that time to put a few great games I can't see Xbox using this to their advantage. Do they think that marketing alone will put them back on track next gen? Or is their control of the US market good enough that they are certain of having 50/ 70 millions console users no matter what? Or that Gamepass will continue to grow without a next gen console when Sony will have one?
Another day, another Phil interview. I think its time for MS to renew the position with someone else
The interwiew is from mid August. The man is mostly good PR even now IMHO. Under Microsoft I am not sure that another one would have the freedom that Phil Spencer got from his lengthy tenure.

Top Bottom