• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameSpot] Xbox Series X Is At The "End Of The Beginning" Of Its Life Cycle, Phil Spencer Says

RoboFu

One of the green rats
really-deep-thats-deep.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If MS purchase gets approved, they played the biggest disruption game ever.
Now add to a new gen console and that is a huge landslide. They are also not shy of spending money to fix their issues.
Both companies aren't on playing field, when 1 party can spend 70$b like that.
Yep, trash.

Ahh I see the doom squad are here.

"Xbox is over!"... despite Microsoft just making one of the largest acquisitions in history for the Xbox brand...
Happy Lets Go GIF by Poms

Killjoy-NL

Xbox lost it's meaning once they did PC day1.

You do the same for PS and it will lose the reason to own PS.
That's why Sony is smart enough not to do it.

But we all know that if they wanted to, they'd be giving GamePass serious competition and it'll probably end up in the exact same situation as we see now with the consoles.

feynoob

Banned
That's why Sony is smart enough not to do it.

But we all know that if they wanted to, they'd be giving GamePass serious competition and it'll probably end up in the exact same situation as we see now with the consoles.
I wonder what the reaction would be if they start doing day1.

I think Xbox starts the new generation for them a year maybe two after the PS5 Pro and we no longer see the consoles release in the same time frame

If they have no plans for a third SKU (Pro version), then, yes, they would be forced to pull the trigger early. Their only chance of finding their footing next-gen, as the course of the current one has already been decided.

Last edited:
If they have no plans for a third SKU (Pro version), then, yes, they would be forced to pull the trigger early. Their only chance of finding their footing next-gen, as the course of the current one has already been decided.
Pulling the trigger early might be the only politically acceptable way to abandon Series S. But of course, that has its own down sides. If they built next gen too early it would end up as the NEW Series S-2 when PS6 comes out.

sendit

Strange generation so far. Both companies upgraded early during a pandemic when they should have waited for better more powerful components at better prices.

And they've both got barely any exclusives as proof
There is always going be better and more powerful components on the horizon. Regardless if they waited or not.

Lupin25

Strange generation so far. Both companies upgraded early during a pandemic when they should have waited for better more powerful components at better prices.

And they've both got barely any exclusives as proof

Pretty much this.

We’re still seeing most major releases on LAST gen hardware still. That’s changing, but a *painfully* slow pace in practically the middle of the gen.

ByWatterson

Ahh I see the doom squad are here.

"Xbox is over!"... despite Microsoft just making one of the largest acquisitions in history for the Xbox brand...

LOL. Xbox is doing very poorly, honestly, but I'm still gonna be on Age 2 to crush some fools as the Franks tonight.

It's doing bad! Who cares! Let's play Age!

Pulling the trigger early might be the only politically acceptable way to abandon Series S. But of course, that has its own down sides. If they built next gen too early it would end up as the NEW Series S-2 when PS6 comes out.

Absolutely. It would also get sandwiched between the Switch 2 and the PS6. MS bought a good chunk of the industry, so they will have more output by definition; but Sony, and especially Nintendo, have proven to release titles that push hardware significantly.

Having said that, and after Starfield has released, now I think back on what Spencer said and take it at face value. They are bowing out of the consoles race to focus on GP. Whether that shif is really the promised neverland, I'm not so sure of, especially in light of what happened with movies streaming...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I also could see them trying to launch a year, or possible even more than a year, before PS6 with a super powerful console that they feel will still be comparable to the later releasing PS6. You could even argue that Phil kind of confirmed when a year ago or so he confirmed in an interview that they were already developing 'multiple Xbox consoles'. Yet in a LATER intrview said there wont be a mid gen console. If there will be no mid gen console then that says to me they will try to get out first next gen.

Problem with that for me is that this isnt like with the 360 that launched a year ealier with some very good software, there was very little negativity around Xbox at that time. Today there is so much negativity (although a lot of it manufactured) and so many gamrers are entrenched in Either Playstation or Xbox, that launching earlier might not even have the effect they would hope for.
Hell they could give away the next Xbox and PS6 would probably still catch up by the end of the gen. Thats just the mindset a lot of gamers have now, the rival is the 'enemy' and no way would they ever buy one.

Trust is earned, not bought. Sony have reached such high level of trust because it's been built over 5 generations of total dominance and industry-leading significance. Xbox on the other hand had decades of lies, deception, and empty promises that would need at least 10 years of reputation rebuild. This 10 years of reputation rebuild hasn't even started.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Can Phil Spencer speak without pr riddles?
Did you carefully watch the shelf behind him though? That's where real secrets are revealed.

There was a Dr.Pepper on it. Dr. Pepper is almost an alchemical connoction. Where do we have alchemy? In Elder Scrolls. This confirms next Elder Scrolls is going to be cross-gen on XSZ and Oblivion remake is coming next year deuing the middle of the Middle stage of the cycle!

hv4rqFj.gif

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That's the main thing, Sony fans are quite vocal and hold Sony accountable for every bad move. Xbox fans are the extreme opposite, apologists that spend their time defending every bad move by Microsoft. Results come natural after that.
Two radically different companies. Sony has very little benefit from putting their software on PC beyond a small boost in sales down the road. For Microsoft, they want the consumer in their ecosystem via Xbox or Windows. They have the $ to burn and move gaming into a services sector, where Sony cannot compete due to how cash intensive it is.

Microsoft’s biggest threats I’m the video game sector are themselves (via missteps), and Apple. What Apple is doing with Apple Arcade is to eventually challenge GamePass as mobile hardware improves. This is the reason Microsoft it desperate for the Activision deal.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Two radically different companies. Sony has very little benefit from putting their software on PC beyond a small boost in sales down the road. For Microsoft, they want the consumer in their ecosystem via Xbox or Windows. They have the $ to burn and move gaming into a services sector, where Sony cannot compete due to how cash intensive it is.

Microsoft’s biggest threats I’m the video game sector are themselves (via missteps), and Apple. What Apple is doing with Apple Arcade is to eventually challenge GamePass as mobile hardware improves. This is the reason Microsoft it desperate for the Activision deal.

Death Stranding already going to iPhone is already a threat to gaming as we know it. iPhone! Not even M1/M2-chipped platforms!

Fredrik

That's the main thing, Sony fans are quite vocal and hold Sony accountable for every bad move. Xbox fans are the extreme opposite, apologists that spend their time defending every bad move by Microsoft. Results come natural after that.
Thank God for Xbox fans then! The true heroes of the gaming world, no complaints is why I’m playing Starfield on a 4090 PC, and I’m doing it now, not in 3 years.
Thank God Monte GIF by Big Brother

Top Bottom