• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Family... Where are you in the list?

Any of you out there the only gamers/techs in the family?

I bring this up because I often find msyelf to be the sole person in my family with any basic idea about computers (and thus, the go-to-guy in regards to upgrades/repairs)

How many of you out there are in the same boat? Whether it's my dad wanting to know how to add a contact in outlook express to a cousin wanting to know if Best Buy sells a good gaming system, they always seem to ask me whether I have any idea or not. Anybody else the sole contact to the technical world?

I don't mind doing it, of course... if my car is coughing up a lung I'd trust my dad before anyone else to figure out what's wrong, so it all evens out in the end...

sangreal

I'm the only one within both of my family trees with any interest in technology beyond cell phones and casual gaming.

Kato

Same here. Always have to come running when there are "problems" with a computer or receiver or amp or whatever. If it's a backup gone wrong or when the internet connection is down it's always things like "the internet is broken", "the thing gives me a blank screen".

I don't really mind it either but sometimes it gets annoying knowing they (inlaws by example) can fix things themselves by just taking the time to read the error or thinking beyond my phonenumber.

The thing that is really bothering me is when I have this great game and the evening following you have to go to a birthday or something. I am all giddy and can't wait to get home again to play some more but there is nobody who cares about games and I can't talk about it because it's of no interest to anybody in the room. So I am sitting there almost bursting to talk about it but fighting it because I don't want them to look at me funny. But that's another subject I guess...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm the guy the family + extended family goes to for help on anything related to technology. As you can imagine I'm called constantly during the holidays for suggestions on what videogames to buy their children.

It has its ups and downs. Its comical being able to commandeer a small army of children to do your bidding. Owning multiple consoles and working on an indie-project for some reason has made me a hero in their eyes, or as they call me a "Game King."

Stryder

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, my brother likes to game a little bit but I can't remember the last game he's completed, I think he hasn't completed anything this gen.

But yeah, as far as tech-type knowledge goes, I'm the one everyone comes to for help. Sometimes it feels as though that's all the relationship is between me and them :(

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Don't feel down guys, I'm positive that if they had a special talent they could offer you they would happily oblige. You just need to change that situation to be mutually beneficial to both parties and not get roped into being the lapdog for everyone. Now that SUCKS.

temp

posting on contract only
In my immediate family I'm supposed to be the tech guy, I guess. I always thought my brother knew pretty much the same amount as I did, but I'm starting to get the impression he doesn't. Either way they think I'm way better at that stuff than I actually am.

Koshiba

Yeah, pretty much. My brother used to be the one until he seemed to get too burnt on drugs and doesn't really remember how to do anything. Lol. He also used to be a bit of a gamer but not so much anymore. Pretty much all he plays is GTA. Usually I'm too lazy to bother with computer stuff though. I still remember the first time we ever got a computer and my mom was asking me how to turn it on.. Lol. It's amazing how clueless some people are with computers.

milanbaros

Member?
I am the go-to guy if anything technical in my house doesn't work, especially the computer. As time has gone by it has come to annoy me because it seems like they just notice somethings wrong and call me when if they just experimented a bt to try and fix it they would probably work it out, thats how I learned.

Recently I have just pretended not to know what to do because I want them to try for a change. Its not like I automatically know what to to everytime and it takes time to try and figure it out, most of the time its things that they could've just worked out on their own.

spliced

I am for sure the only gamer and by default would be considered the techie. I don't even know much about computers but the rest of my family knows even less.

tralfazz

I work in the computer field so I constantly get bombarded by the extended family. Everyone acts like I turn water into wine when I fix things and I just tell them I look at myself no different than a family electrician or plumber; I just know my craft is all.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
As a professional computer engineer, I get bugged at damn near every family event I go to. Neighbors, friends of the family, you name it. Most times, I get nothing in return but a headache because the problem always seems to be more complicated than they let on or I anticipate.

I've pretty much had it with helping people who give nothing back in return. That's all that seems to happen. I don't offer help anymore either, because its nothing but a big sucking sound on my time with no compensation at all.

I also don't ask for anything in return. I would expect someone would just offer something in return.

Stryder

6.8 said:
My brother plays games as well, though not as much as I, and he's a complete xbot. :(
Yeah, same here. He won't accept that the gamecube is a worthy console to bother with and that there are any decent games on it, 'it's a kid's toy' he says.. pfft, ah well.. I know secretly he's impressed with RE4.

jarrod

Banned
With my parents, yeah I'm it. My sister's a very casual gamer though, usually just taking an odd interest in my games every now and then when we were both living at home. She was really addicted to SFA1 and NightWarriors way back... Paper Mario's the only game she's every played to completion though (over 3 sick days, almost nonstop).

She just bought her first system, a silver GBA SP, last month with Pokemon Emerald, Mario & Luigi, Kirby MM and Yoshi's Island. I think I'm gonna send her Advance Wars 2 and SFA3.

In my current family though, we both play games together. :)

In my family, I'm the computer guy, which is odd considering my brother-in-law is a Computer Engi-nerd. But when it comes to tech support, everyone calls me, including my sister and her engineer husband.

My brother, one of my sisters, and both brother-in-laws all play games, but they are very casual about it. I'm the only one who really plays games and keeps up on the industry and what's going on. And I'm damn sure the only one who has a PSP. :lol

bitwise

Banned
i used to be the "go-to" guy for all my non technical friends needs

but it started getting ridiculous, it got old giving up a weekend to fix someones network problem or remove some horrific virus for them

i started referring people to this asian pc shop down the street instead and lo and behold i never get asked anymore.

i dont mind doing it for my mother, though.

Hyoushi

I have a Nintendo fanmother. Seriously.
This was her AV shelf last year:

fanmum2.jpg

bitwise

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
As a professional computer engineer, I get bugged at damn near every family event I go to. Neighbors, friends of the family, you name it. Most times, I get nothing in return but a headache because the problem always seems to be more complicated than they let on or I anticipate.

I've pretty much had it with helping people who give nothing back in return. That's all that seems to happen. I don't offer help anymore either, because its nothing but a big sucking sound on my time with no compensation at all.

I also don't ask for anything in return. I would expect someone would just offer something in return.

haha right there with ya.

Yeah I'm in that boat... I'm the computer/audio/video/it-plugs-into-the-wall goto guy for my family and in-laws both. ESPECIALLY for computers. I don't mind *that* much, although Cog is right, sometimes it just turns into an enormous time-sink.

The worst is my parents though; not specifically any of their problems... but they will come over to visit every two weeks or so (although now its only to see their new grandchild, not me, heh), and my mother will always have volunteered me to fix someone’s stuff! Usually one of her friends. She will just come over and during the middle of some unrelated conversation say something like "Oh and I told so-and-so that you would go over and fix up their computer for them, because they are having trouble. Here’s their phone number." ARG!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Oracle Dragon said:
The worst is my parents though; not specifically any of their problems... but they will come over to visit every two weeks or so (although now its only to see their new grandchild, not me, heh), and my mother will always have volunteered me to fix someone’s stuff! Usually one of her friends. She will just come over and during the middle of some unrelated conversation say something like "Oh and I told so-and-so that you would go over and fix up their computer for them, because they are having trouble. Here’s their phone number." ARG!

Yeah, my wife has offered my help before. I told her, ask first.

Personally, I like helping people, but I think people should give something back in return. That's how I operate. If my neighbor helps me with something, I take him out to dinner, or I help him with something I am good at or something like that. I just don't take and keep taking.

Too many people want something for nothing. My time is precious. I have a kid and I have very little free time. If people want me to help them, they should make it worth my while.

My wifes aunt has had me over to fix their computer only to have their kids fuck it up right after I leave (this happened more than once actually). I went over there early one morning and she never offered me something to drink, something to eat, nothing. That was the last time I am helping them. I mean, cmon - I blow my morning for you and you don't even offer me something to drink? WTF?

I could go on and on in this thread, but I have work to do :lol

Ranger X

Dr_Cogent said:

Personally, I like helping people, but I think people should give something back in return. That's how I operate. If my neighbor helps me with something, I take him out to dinner, or I help him with something I am good at or something like that. I just don't take and keep taking.

Too many people want something for nothing. My time is precious. I have a kid and I have very little free time. If people want me to help them, they should make it worth my while.

My wifes aunt has had me over to fix their computer only to have their kids fuck it up right after I leave (this happened more than once actually). I went over there early one morning and she never offered me something to drink, something to eat, nothing. That was the last time I am helping them. I mean, cmon - I blow my morning for you and you don't even offer me something to drink? WTF?

I could go on and on in this thread, but I have work to do :lol

[moral]
In a ideal world i think people should help others without waiting for something in return.
You should ask them money dude -- in fact it's already what you are doing.
[/moral]

blahness

gaming seems to run in my family.... from as far back as i remember my mom and dad have been into gaming.

Mom: Has been playing since i can remember. She is a straight up console gamer who has been at it since she got hooked on The Legend of Zelda for NES. She currently owns a PS2, N64, SNES, Gamecube, GB SP, NDS and a Gamegear. She loves games like baldurs gate, Castlevainia Lament of Innocence, and her current favorite God of War.

Dad: Is a computer programmer and has always played computer games. At their house he still has all of the commodore 64/128 hardware and games boxed away. He currently plays stuff like Battlefield, and Ghost Recon. Wont usually touch a console unless he is playing Gauntlet Dark Legacy with my mom.

My brothers: Out of my two brothers, only one really plays games like i do, he has all of the current gen systems as well as many older systems and portables. my other brother has a ps2 and plays GTA3.

My Wife: Plays stuff like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing but loves LOZ: OOT and tetris like games (got her hooked on the Meteos demo).

My son: He is 4 and has been playing since he was 2. His favorites are Super Monkey Ball 2, any Wario Ware game, any DDR game, and The Legend of Zelda: 4 swords adventure (lol nintendo sold him on GBA connectivity)

the end

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Wyzdom said:
[moral]
In a ideal world i think people should help others without waiting for something in return.
You should ask them money dude -- in fact it's already what you are doing.
[/moral]

What? Ask them for money? It's already what I am doing?

You lost me.

Ranger X

Dr_Cogent said:
What? Ask them for money? It's already what I am doing?

You lost me.

I mean, if you wait for something in return when helping someone, it's the same thing as asking them money. You should ask them money for your help.
I'm sorry i couldn't resist to comment on what you said, i felt it's soooooo wrong imo. People should not ask something in return when they help someone. They should help when they can and if they want, that's all. You have the right to do otherwise of course, i just felt shocked somewhere and wanted to share my mind a little on the subject.
:)

blahness

Dr_Cogent said:

my wife does this to me all the time. to her i am her office's personal tech, though most all of the people i have helped have paid me. still, i fix computers all day, its not really what i want to do when i get home.

blahness said:
my wife does this to me all the time. to her i am her office's personal tech, though most all of the people i have helped have paid me. still, i fix computers all day, its not really what i want to do when i get home.

Amen to that. And now that I'm moving in a few weeks, every relative and "friend" has been calling to get computer help before I move four states away. It's getting really out of hand. I saw an article awhile back about how tech people have joined doctors and lawyers in the "people to hit up for free advice" category. It's bad when I go to a socal gathering and end up getting asked questions for an hour.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Wyzdom said:
I mean, if you wait for something in return when helping someone, it's the same thing as asking them money. You should ask them money for your help.
I'm sorry i couldn't resist to comment on what you said, i felt it's soooooo wrong imo. People should not ask something in return when they help someone. They should help when they can and if they want, that's all. You have the right to do otherwise of course, i just felt shocked somewhere and wanted to share my mind a little on the subject.
:)

I don't think you understand. I help and don't ask for anything. I don't wait to be offered something. I do it because I like helping people, but on the flip side, if I help someone and more often than not its multiple times, they should consider me and my time and give back somehow. It doesn't have to be money either. They could invite me over for a beer, dinner, whatever - something. It's called Karma. If you are constantly taking and never giving - you suck IMO.

People who help me, I pay them, or treat them to dinner, or something. Something that makes it worth their while. Why should I just take? Is that right? No.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Amen to that. And now that I'm moving in a few weeks, every relative and "friend" has been calling to get computer help before I move four states away. It's getting really out of hand. I saw an article awhile back about how tech people have joined doctors and lawyers in the "people to hit up for free advice" category. It's bad when I go to a socal gathering and end up getting asked questions for an hour.

Yeah, many times I feel like I am just being used. I feel like if I wasn't there to help them they wouldn't even be talking to me.

Ranger X

Dr_Cogent said:
I don't think you understand. I help and don't ask for anything. I don't wait to be offered something. I do it because I like helping people, but on the flip side, if I help someone and more often than not its multiple times, they should consider me and my time and give back somehow. It doesn't have to be money either. They could invite me over for a beer, dinner, whatever - something. It's called Karma. If you are constantly taking and never giving - you suck IMO.

People who help me, I pay them, or treat them to dinner, or something. Something that makes it worth their while. Why should I just take? Is that right? No.

Yeah, many times I feel like I am just being used. I feel like if I wasn't there to help them they wouldn't even be talking to me.

Ok now that's fine in my book. It didn't really sound like it in your first post, now i understand you right. And well yeah there's people that you can help multiple times and they never give shit. I'm not helping those anymore when i detect what they are. And i never help a second time when someone does not say the word "thank you".
Anyway, happy to talk with a generous person! ;)

User 406

Banned
Yes, I am the only tech guy in my family, and I HATE IT. I imagine being a doctor is a lot like this, where members of your family or their friends always try to pump you for free advice while giving you incomplete or incorrect information about their problem, and expecting an instant solution, even if it's not within your specialty. I've had to play dumb soooo many times to keep from getting roped into a few hours worth of intractable confused remote diagnosis that inevitably ends in a verdict of user error.

For instance, my mother-in-law had a friend from her church call me up because the computers at the church were having a problem. After a good hour on the phone, trying to get her to articulate just what kind of problem she was having accessing the internet, I finally managed to figure out that their computers were not networked, and in fact they did not have an ISP, nor had it occurred to her that access to the internet for computers required anything beyond just turning the computer on and opening IE. :|

My in-laws also had a horrible fucking PC running Windows 3.1 that gave them no end of problems, and me no end of headaches. I told them that the next computer they buy should be a Mac, since they didn't have a need for any Windows specific programs, and they weren't at all computer literate and weren't likely to learn. Naturally, the next thing they bought was a horribly underpowered Pentium 2 running a pirated version of Windows 98 from a "friend" at the church. A PERSON WHO WOULD SELL YOU THAT IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. =_=

I think my father-in-law went through about thirty different printers because he could never keep the fucking things running with that piece of shit, and the pattern was that the first time he had a problem printing, he'd call me, and I'd come over and plug in the cable, or reinstall the driver, or reformat the whole fucking machine and reinstall Windows because it needed it every other week. The second time he'd just go out and buy a new printer, then call me, because he had opened it up and was trying to work through the setup instructions and had managed to screw something up. Then I'd come over and start over from scratch, and get the thing working, and the cycle would repeat itself with the next time he couldn't print.

As time went on, and the machine became even more laughably out of date and the hard drive grew fresh new crops of bad sectors, and the good sectors got choked with spyware and viruses, I got called for all kinds of new problems, until I finally got so sick of it I just bought them a damn used iMac outright as a christmas gift for the whole family. Now my call volume is greatly reduced, although I still get the occasional call for help, but at least it's stuff on the order of "How do I do this?" instead of "It's making this horrible squealing noise and the colors on the screen are all screwed up and all these windows keep popping up and won't go away and Satan just appeared."

But then there are my little brothers-in-law.

"I'm making a web page for my school and I need some help." Neat, I didn't know you were learning HTML. "What's HTML?" Uh, okay, what program are you using then? "Program?" =_=

"Hey, copy this CD for me." Hell no. "Come on man, I need to copy it since it won't play anymore?" Wait, what? "See, it's all scratched up." How am I supposed to copy it if THE DISC CAN'T BE READ? Maybe next time you should keep your discs in their cases like I fuckin' told you to before and not loose in your bookbag. "Damn. Well, can I borrow this DVD?" FUCK YOU.

"I'm trying to watch these anime movies on the computer, but I can't figure out how to do it." Okay, what format are they in? "Format?" Yeah, like what's the file type? "I don't know, I'm trying to find them." Well, where do you normally download them to? "How do you download them?" ... "Where can I find episodes of Dragonball Z? I looked on Yahoo but I couldn't find any." >click<

Word of advice to any young people who might make a career in a computer related field: DON'T TELL ANYONE. Pretend that you're a garbage man instead.

Top Bottom