• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker: Here's what's missing from Straight Outta Compton - The women Dre beat up

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://gawker.com/heres-whats-missing-from-straight-outta-compton-me-and-1724735910

Three years later—in 1991—I would experience something similar, only this time I was on my back and the knee was in my chest. That knee did not belong to a police officer, but Andre Young, the producer/rapper who goes by Dr. Dre. When I saw the footage of California Highway Patrol officer Daniel Andrew straddling and viciously punching Marlene Pinnock in broad daylight on the side of a busy freeway last year, I cringed. That must have been how it looked as Dr. Dre straddled me and beat me mercilessly on the floor of the women’s restroom at the Po Na Na Souk nightclub in 1991.

That event isn’t depicted in Straight Outta Compton, but I don’t think it should have been, either. The truth is too ugly for a general audience. I didn’t want to see a depiction of me getting beat up, just like I didn’t want to see a depiction of Dre beating up Michel’le, his one-time girlfriend who recently summed up their relationship this way: “I was just a quiet girlfriend who got beat on and told to sit down and shut up.”

But what should have been addressed is that it occurred. When I was sitting there in the theater, and the movie’s timeline skipped by my attack without a glance, I was like, “Uhhh, what happened?” Like many of the women that knew and worked with N.W.A., I found myself a casualty of Straight Outta Compton’s revisionist history.

Just stumbled on this article and found it captivating and also incredibly sad.

I guess "true stories" skimping on details is nothing new but it sounds like this one in particular left out some gruesome details. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the group the film is about and haven't seen it, but this article has certainly turned me off from it.

I think biopics like this often place their subjects on too much of a pedestal and are afraid to touch on the more ugly side.

Perhaps those of you who have seen it can comment on whether or not the movie is irresponsible in its depiction of history and the events that took place? Should these facts be addressed in it?

norm9

Glossing over the bad things to emphasize a mythic quality to the subjects that are also the producers? No way.

Biopics 101

The worst you'll generally see biopics portray their subject (especially if the subject is involved in the movie) is usually as a drug addict.

One of the instances that really made me notice this is in Walk the Line, when the family of his first wife came out and said that the completely misrepresented her in the film. Which they had to do for him not to look like a complete jackass when he left her for June.

I just can't imagine wanting to see a movie about someone who treated me that way.

Who is also one of the producers.

Imagine that you went to a movie about someone you hate, made by that same person, and then were upset that they weren't completely honest about the thing they did that you hate them for.

It's like ... no shit.

Koppai

I'm tired of all this revisionist shit. Now stuff based off a true story or is the true story has lost its credibility with me. While it would be horrifying to see it happen in the film, it still should have been at least mentioned.

:/

Rockyrock

Its a mainstream movie not a documentary.

athey want the audience to do no thinking what so ever outside of the "wow that was so awesome!!"

I'm tired of all this revisionist shit. Now stuff based off a true story or is the true story has lost its credibility with me. While it would be horrifying to see it happen in the film, it still should have been at least mentioned.

You know what happens you don't leave stuff out of a movie?

19 hours of The Hobbit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Isn't this a movie Dre made about himself? In that case it isn't surprising.

stufte

:/

It's a movie, not an archive of history.

Socreges

Banned
American Sniper didn't get a pass. Are we forgiving Dre's movie because he was a producer? It gives us an explanation, but we're never without explanations as to why movies are revisionist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The biopic is about NWA, not Dre. Even if you wanted to depict the ugly side of NWA there's so much group-centric stuff of that sort before you get started on Dre in particular. Kind of an odd thing to expect in general.

But if you're fiending for that stuff, there's a skit of him shooting at a woman (which he did to his ex-wife) on the soundtrack and pretty much every media outlet is running this story to coincide with the movie's release. And Dre recently did an interview about his past domestic abuse in a magazine as well.

Dude Abides

Banned
American Sniper didn't get a pass. Are we forgiving Dre's movie because he was a producer? It gives us an explanation, but we're never without explanations as to why movies are revisionist.

We're forgiving it because we like Dr. Dre. The last thread on this was truly embarrassing to read.

Who is also one of the producers.

Imagine that you went to a movie about someone you hate, made by that same person, and then were upset that they weren't completely honest about the thing they did that you hate them for.

It's like ... no shit.

She saw it (and wrote the article) because Gawker paid her to.

Barnes agreed to watch F. Gary Gray’s just-released film about N.W.A, Straight Outta Compton, and reflect on it for Gawker.

Al-ibn Kermit

I just can't imagine wanting to see a movie about someone who treated me that way.

I don't know, maybe she wanted to see if there's a chance he felt remorseful. I haven't seen this movie but I'm guessing all of his personal relationships with women are revised to make him easier to like.

Edit:hodayathink explained it above.

stufte

Isn't the beef with American Sniper that is was a fabrication? This movie does omit things from the full story, but it's a story about NWA, not about how Dre treats women. It was left out for obvious reasons.

Also, I'm shocked that Gawker isn't a banned site yet. It's fucking awful.

Dre hasn't been relevant since the 90s, and his latest album is shit.

that being said, if you're going to make a biopic film that covers a person(s), and not just their professional life, but also their personal life, I think something like the beating of women should be touched upon.

Socreges

Banned
Isn't the beef with American Sniper that is was a fabrication? This movie does omit things from the full story, but it's a story about NWA, not about how Dre treats women. It was left out for obvious reasons.
"Biopics 101" and those that agreed.

see5harp

I feel like if it's a single artist like James Brown, Jim Morrisson, etc. where there's ups and downs, but generally accepted that the dude was/is a genius then you probably show everything. They do that with the Amy documentary where you literally watch her waste away. Straight Outta Compton doesn't really seem like it's trying to do that at all.

commedieu

Banned
Its significant if dre was beating up women. But its just as significant as America finds domestic abuse to be significant.

Survey says....

Those NFL players are doing ok right.. that beat the hell out of women.. still?

Any way.

Well, I saw a cop with a bumper sticker that said "Stop Elderly Abuse." So well.. thats something.

Important issue. But, gawker is just trying to get hits and isn't the messenger to have this discussion. But good on them for bringing it up, even if trolls. No, I didn't assume Dr.Dre beat women. I'm a LA Native. Didn't catch that.

I'm not going to downplay it with "Well they all seemed like scumbags anyway so who cares?" Its important, but the world and its 24 hour news cycle won't make this an important issue to gain traction from. Just something to rile up facebook posters for a few minutes.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
1. There were a lot of things that they didn't include or reinterpreted in the movie and it already has a 147 minute run time.

2. Gawker Media is absolute and total shit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's just like Gwaker to shit on a person just for the sake of doing it.

Fuck that site err company, whatever. They are terrible. Worse than TMZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom