• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker: Here's what's missing from Straight Outta Compton - The women Dre beat up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Banned
nah uh, temper temper

On topic:

Dee Barnes is only famous for getting the shit beat out of her by dre. Seeing that the movie is out and he has a new album, might as well get into the limelight.
This is a stupid post. She was famous prior to getting nearly killed by Dre. Good job victimizing her further after the fact.

dream

This is a stupid post. She was famous prior to getting nearly killed by Dre. Good job victimizing her further after the fact.

No, not really. On the spectrum of fame, I'd say she was somewhere between a non-J-Lo In Living Color fly girl and Pam on Martin.

Brakke

Banned
I don't see that it's a stretch to understand that any article that is written with the intent to negatively critique or attack a film, whether that be justified or not, is also dissuading people from seeing the film even if that is not explicitly stated. It's certainly not promoting the film.

That's definitely a stretch, you're reading in motivation that isn't clearly there. This piece may succeed in dissuading some people from seeing the film. But is that her goal? Is she trying to reach people who haven't seen it, or is she trying to give people who have already seen it more to think about? In either case it reads as sincere and her only explicit goal is to share her own experiences and to lament that the film in the end isn't "authentic". "it’s too bad for the movie and it’s too bad for its audience" isn't some scathing blast, it's pretty shrug-y.

I was thinking about seeing this movie then I read this and now I want to see it more. The question of how Dre and his peers engage with myth-making so many years out is interesting. The article is a lens to take to the film, now I'm going to be tuned looking for omissions and I'm going to particularly look out for the episodes she's related.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You mean a man who used to be a hardcore gangster rapper wasn't the perfect politically correct corporate man he is today?

I. Am. Shocked.

I mean you don't have to be politically correct to NOT beat up your girlfriend. Actually outside of Isis I can't think of a culture that thinks it's ok.

FStop7

Banned
You mean a man who used to be a hardcore gangster rapper wasn't the perfect politically correct corporate man he is today?

I. Am. Shocked.

God damn PC police ruining all our fun. Can't beat women any more without it following you around for the rest of your life.

burgervan

I don't think the film makers had any responsibility to include Dre's abuse in the movie. They told the story they wanted to tell. That said, I think it would've been a more interesting film if they did. Dre especially is portrayed as a hero with few flaws besides maybe trusting the wrong people.

YoungHav

Banned
What do you expect from a plagiarist too stupid to write his own rap lyrics?

Lol and I'm sure half the people criticizing him own Beatz headphones.

Volimar

1. There were a lot of things that they didn't include or reinterpreted in the movie and it already has a 147 minute run time.

2. Gawker Media is absolute and total shit.

Absolutely. Would love to see gawker on the list of banned sites.

Apt101

It's not uncommon for filmmakers to leave out unflattering or challenging things about subjects in biopics. If his victims want to attract attention to his wrongdoings they have their chance now at least.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not that it in any way makes up for what he did, but didn't he spend the last 10 years apologizing and fixing this stuff? Like on Guilty Conscious he basically apologized, then there was that interview or something recently where he said something about how much he fucked up and has spent the last however many years trying to redeem himself for it.

Not that it makes what he did alright, but he seems remorseful at this point.

Though it not being in the movie is another story.

:lol Figured gawker would be outraged about something everyone knew about and was even referenced in songs. And yeah, Cube being over of the main people on the movie really gave me the feeling this would be an unbiased dissection of their lives.

norm9

Hearing Ren was gonna be marginalized let me know the type of self serving movie it was going to be. Still gonna watch it eventually.

burgervan

Not that it in any way makes up for what he did, but didn't he spend the last 10 years apologizing and fixing this stuff? Like on Guilty Conscious he basically apologized

Not really. It was more of a joke than anything. A joke that minimized a horrible beating into a slap.

He definitely expressed remorse in that recent interview though. Hopefully it's sincere.

I mean you don't have to be politically correct to NOT beat up your girlfriend. Actually outside of Isis I can't think of a culture that thinks it's ok.

There are plenty of cultures centered on machismo that think it's okay to hit a woman if "she deserves it".

Toparaman

Banned
That’s right. F. Gary Gray, the man whose film made $60 million last weekend as it erased my attack from history, was also behind the camera to film the moment that launched that very attack. He was my cameraman for Pump It Up! You may have noticed that Gary has been reluctant to address N.W.A.’s misogyny and Dre’s attack on me in interviews. I think a huge reason that Gary doesn’t want to address it is because then he’d have to explain his part in history. He’s obviously uncomfortable for a reason.

Cube went into a trailer to talk to Gary and Pump It Up! producer Jeff Shore. I saw as he exited that Cube’s mood had changed. Either they told him something or showed him the N.W.A. footage we had shot a few weeks earlier. What ended up airing was squeaky clean compared to the raw footage. N.W.A. were chewing Cube up and spitting him out. I was trying to do a serious interview and they were just clowning—talking shit, cursing. It was crazy.

Right after we shot a now-angry Cube and they shouted, “Cut!” one of the producers said, “We’re going to put that in.” I said, “Hell no.” I wasn’t even thinking about being attacked at the time, I was just afraid that they were going to shoot each other. I didn’t want to be part of that. “This is no laughing matter,” I tried telling them. “This is no joke. These guys take this stuff seriously.” I was told by executives that I was being emotional. That’s because I’m a woman. They would have never told a man that. They would have taken him seriously and listened.

And did Gray get beat up? Did his professional relationship with NWA get cut? Quite the opposite. The poetic injustice of it all just kills me.

It's interesting that Dee Barnes doesn't mention that she offered to not sue if Dre produced her record.

So? It was either that or suing for money. And Dre-produced records made bank. Might as well get as much out of your abuser as possible.

ghstwrld

It was that interview that was the supposed cause of Dre’s attack on me, as many of his groupmates attested. My life changed that night. I suffer from horrific migraines that started only after the attack. I love Dre’s song “Keep Their Heads Ringin”—it has a particularly deep meaning to me. When I get migraines, my head does ring and it hurts, exactly in the same spot every time where he smashed my head against the wall. People have accused me of holding onto the past; I’m not holding onto the past. I have a souvenir that I never wanted. The past holds onto me.

wow

Nosgotham

How many women did he beat? When was the last time that we know that he beat a woman? I'm curious because I've never really heard about this side of him.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Not that it in any way makes up for what he did, but didn't he spend the last 10 years apologizing and fixing this stuff? Like on Guilty Conscious he basically apologized, then there was that interview or something recently where he said something about how much he fucked up and has spent the last however many years trying to redeem himself for it.

Not that it makes what he did alright, but he seems remorseful at this point.

Though it not being in the movie is another story.
He has never apologized and has barely even acknowledged this. The whole point of the mention on Guilty Conscience is that Eminem pisses him off by bringing it up (also, downplaying it by calling it a slap)

Sanjuro

How many women did he beat? When was the last time that we know that he beat a woman? I'm curious because I've never really heard about this side of him.

The film does a really poor job at establishing a narrative at times, or recognizing other characters.

There is a woman Dre looks like he is about to beat with a baby. Assuming it's his wife? Girlfriend? Either way, that character leaves the film promptly.

dream

It's interesting that you're digging up old articles and trying to mitigate the circumstances around Dr Dre kicking the shit out of a woman.

I'm not trying to absolve Dre. He beat Dee Barnes, and that is unequivocally terrible.

But for all that Dee says about the effects and trauma that she suffered, it is amazing that her price tag was apparently one dope record produced by Dre.

No one is saying it's "ok" but am I going to hop on the "I'm outraged a gangster rapper acted like a gangster rapper back when he was a gangster rapper!"? No.

It was 91, it wasn't cool then. It isn't cool now. But I won't pretend to be shocked.

God damn PC police ruining all our fun. Can't beat women any more without it following you around for the rest of your life.

Beating -anyone- should follow you around for the rest of your life then. Unless you're suggesting special treatment based on gender....? Listen, every normal person knows putting their hands on someone is wrong. Especially the way Dre did it. He did her straight dirty. But maybe its that this is old news to me but I'm not going to muster outrage for something that happened over two decades ago. Doubly so when it was known about then. This isn't some secret that is just coming to light.

Keri

I'm not trying to absolve Dre. He beat Dee Barnes, and that is unequivocally terrible.

But for all that Dee says about the effects and trauma that she suffered, it is amazing that her price tag was apparently one dope record produced by Dre.

If you really believed what Dr. Dre did was "unequivocally terrible," you wouldn't be so surprised that Dee Barnes wanted him to pay for it, in some way. Does it really matter how she wanted payment? Getting a record produced by him could have been infinitely more valuable than a traditional money-settlement from a civil suit.

dream

If you really believed what Dr. Dre did was "unequivocally terrible," you wouldn't be so surprised that Dee Barnes wanted him to pay for it, in some way. Does it really matter how she wanted payment? Getting a record produced by him could have been infinitely more valuable than a traditional money-settlement from a civil suit.

Oh, absolutely. Dee Barnes saw an opportunity and tried to grab it, just as she sees an opportunity now to get her name out there. Whether she's justified in being an opportunist is what's interesting to me.

Keri

Oh, absolutely. Dee Barnes saw an opportunity and tried to grab it, just as she sees an opportunity now to get her name out there. Whether she's justified in being an opportunist is what's interesting to me.

...if you really believed what Dr. Dre did was "unequivocally terrible," how could she not be justified? Wouldn't it always be justified, for her to tell her story about what he did to her?

dream

...if you really believed what Dr. Dre did was "unequivocally terrible," how could she not be justified? Wouldn't it always be justified, for her to tell her story about what he did to her?

For something that she accepted a settlement on?

Ayt

Banned

What is interesting to you about an opportunistic victim of assault? Why should she not attempt to receive recompense for being brutalized whether through the courts or other means?

My main question would be why would you be surprised if someone like her would try to resolve the issue without involving the courts? Would not involving the authorities have been seen as a potential good thing on her part at the time? I would think you'd agree that the people involved weren't the type to quickly go to the authorities to resolve conflict, no?

You are attempting to make it out like a bad thing to throw shade on her accusations, but it is perfectly reasonable why she did what she did.

Keri

For something that she accepted a settlement on?

Why not? You think he bought her silence, so she's required to stop talking about it? I'm going to guess, because she's been talking about it for years and hasn't been sued, that silence wasn't negotiated in any settlement.

It's mentioned once in passing in the movie as "assault charges" when his future wife and him are having a moment and she's feeling reluctant about him pursing her but other than that it's brushed aside.

Not that I expected it to be talked about in detail or anything considering Dre being involved directly. There's also other perfectly valid things at play in a broader cultural context re: NWA going on in this movie that the specifics of Dre's personal life would not have ever gotten the kind of focus necessary for these incidents in this movie.

dream

Why not? You think he bought her silence, so she's required to stop talking about it? I'm going to guess, because she's been talking about it for years and hasn't been sued, that silence wasn't negotiated in any settlement.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Her idea of justice was getting Dre to produce an album for her. Cool. Dre refuses, so now the price tag of justice is 22 million. Now, two decades later, we learn that she settled for far less.

It makes me wonder what really happened. Rolling Stone ran an article about the assault in 1991, where we get both sides of it:

According to a statement issued by Barnes, Dre picked her up and "began slamming her face and the right side of her body repeatedly against a wall near the stairway" as his bodyguard held off the crowd. After Dre tried to throw her down the stairs and failed, he began kicking her in the ribs and hands. She escaped and ran into the women's restroom. Dre followed her and "grabbed her from behind by the hair and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head." Finally, Dre and his bodyguard ran from the building.

And Dre himself says: "People talk all this shit, but you know, somebody fucks with me, I'm gonna fuck with them. I just did it, you know. Ain't nothing you can do now by talking about it. Besides, it ain't no big thing – I just threw her through a door."

I'm probably more inclined to believe Dee Barnes than circa-91 Dre, but bits of it are just weird.

Keri

It just doesn't make sense to me. Her idea of justice was getting Dre to produce an album for her. Cool. Dre refuses, so now the price tag of justice is 22 million. Now, two decades later, we learn that she settled for far less.

It makes me wonder what really happened.

You must realize by now, that you started this conversation with the preface "I'm not trying to absolve Dre," but...you're totally trying to absolve Dre. You're just taking a longer route to get there.

It makes me wonder what really happened. Rolling Stone ran an article about the assault in 1991, where we get both sides of it:

I'm probably more inclined to believe Dee Barnes than circa-91 Dre, but bits of it are just weird.

So the best case scenario is that he "just" threw her through a door. Okay.

You seem like you're fishing to find a way to discredit her. Your last attempt didn't work so now you're moving onto this. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom