• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker: Here's what's missing from Straight Outta Compton - The women Dre beat up

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLH0

Banned
The sad reality is that the reason it's not mentioned is because it doesn't need to be. It hasn't shaped or impacted Dre or his career at all. People still listen to his music and buy his headphones despite the fact that he's an enormous piece of shit.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
You beat a couple of women and all of a sudden people want to hold you accountable to it. Things were better in the old days.

You guys are crazy who think there should be no reason to be surprised this isn't in the movie. There are TONS of biopics with this kind of stuff in it. Hell, I just watched one on Jimi Hendrix on Netflix, and he was smashing women with phones.
The sad reality is that the reason it's not mentioned is because it doesn't need to be. It hasn't shaped or impacted Dre or his career at all. People still listen to his music and buy his headphones despite the fact that he's an enormous piece of shit.
Too true. Not sure how I feel about it, but I think you're absolutely right.

junpei

the pursuit of happyness is miss is based on a true story and is missing Chris Gardner's cocaine and PCP use And his drug dealing scenes

I haven't seen Straight Outta Compton, but I'll speak generally on movies and biopics.

Movies can be truthful without being entirely true.

Jake LaMotta wasn't exactly like Raging Bull, and with Scorsese's editing and sound mixing, it manipulates the audience greatly. Lawrence of Arabia excise a lot of stuff about history and the man. Amadeus is a complete fabrication and a supposed smear job on Salieri. Quiz Show has to invent things for narrative purposes. The Social Network misses a great deal of interesting and provocative details on the creation of Facebook and Zuckerberg himself. And, so on.

Movies aren't fact, nor should they be, and that extends to documentaries. I know it isn't considered his best, but Errol Morris touches upon his in Standard Operating Procedure, about how a single photograph is a snap judgement and moment in time that isn't necessarily reflective of the truth. Heck, his "masterpiece" documentary that freed an innocent man from jail (The Thin Blue Line) was controversial because critics and fellow documentarians objected to his use of reenactments. Joshua Oppenheimer's The Act of Killing was criticized as well.

Movies are snapshots, abridged recollections and reframings and recreations of moments. Even something as long as Lanzmann's Shoah isn't the end-all-be-all of the Holocaust on film.

What this article does is at least remind people that there's more to a story than what is shown on screen, and if that reminds people of this simple basic fact, that's good. But it isn't film criticism, and shouldn't be taken as such.

Boke1879

You guys are crazy who think there should be no reason to be surprised this isn't in the movie. There are TONs of biopics with this kind of shit. Hell, I just watched one on Jimi Hendrix on Netflix, and he was smashing women with phones.

All people are saying is that it shouldn't be a shock when the movie is about NWA and not specifically about Dre.

It's just like Gwaker to shit on a person just for the sake of doing it.

Fuck that site err company, whatever. They are terrible. Worse than TMZ

Im not really familiar with Gawker, this I think is the first thing I've read on their site.

I just thought it was an article and viewpoint worthy of sharing.

Maddocks

whole movie was ruined when they said tupac was working on hail mary in 1993. MOVIE VOID!

But they should have shown some of the legal troubles the band was going though during the career instead of skipping over it like it never happened.

commedieu

Banned
2. Gawker Media is absolute and total shit.

Exactly. It takes away from how serious the history is with dre, when its Gawker doing it solely for hits, after the movies out. Not to say that its not an important issue, but it would be different of Al Jazeera or someone was covering this, and not..

gawker..

I give this thread about 3 more pages before people start talking about how they lost respect for Tim Cook/Apple for hiring Dre, something something rap music sucks, something something something rap culture, something something black leaders need to speak out something something Beats suck something something never buying an apple product again, a few threads later "John Lennon is the best beatle!"

stufte

I give this thread about 3 more pages before people start talking about how they lost respect for Tim Cook/Apple for hiring Dre, something something music sucks, something something something rap culture, something something Beats suck something something never buying an apple product again.

Hey, I like my Beats.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Im not really familiar with Gawker, this I think is the first thing I've read on their site.

I just thought it was an article and viewpoint worthy of sharing.

It's not that they are wrong. They are right. But it's stuff everyone already knows and they are simply bringing it up for the clicks since it's a hot topic right now.

Not newsworthy stuff. IMO

It's not that they are wrong. They are right. But it's stuff everyone already knows and they are simply bringing it up for the clicks since it's a hot topic right now.

Dee Barnes isn't a gawker writer though, is she? Maybe the outlet could've been better but I think it's good she's mentioning it. A lot of people didn't know.

Oersted

I give this thread about 3 more pages before people start talking about how they lost respect for Tim Cook/Apple for hiring Dre, something something rap music sucks, something something something rap culture, something something black leaders need to speak out something something Beats suck something something never buying an apple product again, a few threads later "John Lennon is the best beatle!"

That tends to happen, yes, but it shouldn't make you completely uncapable of talking about what he committed.

DietRob

Dee Barnes isn't a gawker writer though, is she? Maybe the outlet could've been better but I think it's good she's mentioning it. A lot of people didn't know.

You don't think Gawker is paying her for her story. Again not that she's wrong, it's just opportunistic.

I didn't know anything in the article prior to reading it, so I found it very informative and eye opening. But I agree the intent on the part of Gawker is probably disingenuous

That tends to happen, yes, but it shouldn't make you completely uncapable of talking about what he committed.

It's hard to talk about rationally when a bunch of people say nonsense like that. Point in case the last Dr. Dre thread. People were legit arguing there was a difference between Lennon and Dre and that difference ultimately ended up being "Lennon came a hippy", like that means a thing, much like Dre Lennon was a habitual woman beater. But for some reason people pulled excuses left and right while at the same time doing the same dog and pony show about being unhappy about Apple acquiring Beats because Dre beat a woman, and some other thinly veiled nonsense that had nothing to do with anything other than "They let an ex rapper and "gangster" (which he never was) into the executive board of my favorite company the world has ended!"

Dre is a dick for beating Dee. He did some half assed apology via letter then indirectly apologized in Rolling Stones a few days ago, he also paid Dee Barnes...in an out of court settlement...AFTER she told them she wouldn't sue if Dre produced her album. My point is if anyone is screaming out "Fuck Dre/NWA" while at the same time being a Beatles and/or John Lennon, go play in traffic.

With that stated...what should/could he do that will appease the masses? Me personally I think he should become a hippy like Lennon. Shit worked wonders.

the pursuit of happyness is miss is based on a true story and is missing Chris Gardner's cocaine and PCP use And his drug dealing scenes

Drug use (and dealing) seems to be fine. So is adultery, for the most part. It's anything worse than that that will usually get swept under the rug.

Exactly. She isn't, though in the end it doesn't matter. I don't care who published story, or for what reasons. Getting the information out there is what is important, and if the means isn't hurting anybody...why not? It seems more crazy that people are offended by Gawker publishing this story than the act itself committed by Dre.

DietRob

What? It's opportunistic of Gwaker to go out and solicit Dee for an interview to speak on things already in the public record.

Didn't think it was hard to understand. And of course it's not in the movie, why would it be? Someone else brought up that he produced it. He's not going to put that in. But is that a reason to trudge up old news.

I dunno that's for GAF and Gawker to decide I guess.

Kama_1082

Banned
Okay! Thought about it, still wanna stab her?
Grab her by the throat, get your daughter and kidnap her?
That's what I did, be smart, don't be a retard
You gonna take advice from somebody who slapped DEE BARNES??!

Troy

Banned
The movie was a good movie but a shitty biopic. And Dre is a shitty human being. As she points out though, misogyny was the name of the game with pretty much everyone involved. Dre took it further by beating the shit out of several women.

karobit

How is Gawker's intent "disingenuous"?
How is this article just "for the clicks"?
If the film is about NWA, not Dre, yet the assault occurred because of video involving a feud between Ice Cube and NWA, why is it irrelevant to the film?

What? It's opportunistic of Gwaker to go out and solicit Dee for an interview to speak on things already in the public record.

Didn't think it was hard to understand. And of course it's not in the movie, why would it be? Someone else brought up that he produced it. He's not going to put that in. But is that a reason to trudge up old news.

Just because something is in public record doesn't mean it is well known publicly. I honestly had no clue about any of this so it was an interesting read to me.

But yeah...I agree. No way he was putting it in the movie.

dream

Maybe it's because sometimes we have to let things go because we should believe that people can change, especially when we've gone nearly 2 decades without any word of Dre smacking his women around.

Oersted

It's hard to talk about rationally when a bunch of people say nonsense like that. Point in case

The last Dr. Dre thread, were people were legit arguing there was a difference between Lennon and Dre and that difference ultimately ended up being "Lennon came a hippy".

As much as I can understand you, it doesn't happen in this thread. And even if it would happen, you shouldn't defend like that.

And its opportunistic of her to use Gawker to get her story heard and its opportunistic of Dre to whitewash his past with a biopic.

In this whole bunch of oppurtunism, I choose to listen to the woman that was brutally beaten up. Basic human empathy and all that.

And its opportunistic of her to use Gawker to get her story heard and its opportunistic of Dre to whitewash his past with a biopic.

In this whole bunch of oppurtunism, I choose to listen to the woman that was brutally beaten up. Basic human empathy and all that.

This is nonsense, how else was she going to get her story heard? Talking to news station is "How to get your story heard 101".

Brakke

Banned

A bunch of people that saw that movie never knew this stuff about NWA. There are kids graduating college now who were *born* after NWA broke up. Dre is "trudging up old news" by making the biopic at all. Pretty reasonable for a media outlet to recognize that people are interested in NWA and Dre right now and cater to that interest. The piece itself is long and thoughtful and interesting, it's not some hit piece or whatever.

This movie is about not-good-people who made their name making music about proudly being not-good-people. People can excuse the violence, the drug dealing, etc., due to their environment and people can be fans of their art because the group gave a landmark and insightful view into what caused them to be not-good-people, but at the end of the day they're just not-good-people.

I read recently an article encouraging the boycott of this film due to Ice Cube never apologizing for his history of misogynistic lyrics, and insisting upon using the same crass language today that brought him fame in the first place. I'm not saying that article has no reason to exist, nor that Dee Barnes has no right to remind people of her side of the story, but Gawker and other e-tabloids bringing it up in an attempt to turn people away from the film, if not NWA's work as a whole, seems ludicrous because the group's entire body of work is a manifestation of evil elements. Reminding people that Dr. Dre habitually hit women isn't, or at least shouldn't, push people over the edge of tolerating him when they tolerate all the far more evil parts of the NWA story that they don't even attempt to hide.

Maybe it will push some people away from the film. Maybe this is the one thing they can't tolerate out of all the bald-faced evil the group celebrated. But personally I'm just shruggin'.

Motivate this claim, that this article ran "as an attempt to turn people away from the film". Where in the article does she say people shouldn't support the film? The strongest thing she says is "Straight Outta Compton transforms N.W.A. from the world’s most dangerous rap group to the world’s most diluted rap group.", which isn't so much a moral claim as it is an artistic one. She doesn't say "you shouldn't see this movie" she says ~"this movie is weak".

I don't see that it's a stretch to understand that any article that is written with the intent to negatively critique or attack a film, whether that be justified or not, is also dissuading people from seeing the film even if that is not explicitly stated. It's certainly not promoting the film.

Brakke

Banned
Gawker and other e-tabloids bringing it up in an attempt to turn people away from the film, if not NWA's work as a whole, seems ludicrous

Motivate this claim, that this article ran "as an attempt to turn people away from the film". Where in the article does she say people shouldn't support the film? The strongest thing she says is "Straight Outta Compton transforms N.W.A. from the world’s most dangerous rap group to the world’s most diluted rap group.", which isn't so much a moral claim as it is an artistic one. She doesn't say "you shouldn't see this movie" she says ~"this movie is weak".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom