• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George A. Romero's Resident Evil: A Documentary

SegaManAU

Gold Member

You’ve once again entered… the world of Survival Horror
In 1998, Constantin Film set out to adapt the greatest horror video game franchise of all time, hiring legendary film director George A. Romero. Now, Key 13 Films, in association with Point Five Films, and director Brandon Salisbury set out to uncover the mystery behind why Romero’s vision was never produced.
George A. Romero’s Resident Evil is a stylized documentary, utilizing archived footage, unearthed documents, and newly filmed interviews with a wide variety of personalities. The documentary combines elements from Capcom’s hit video game series and the raw, visceral style of George A. Romero to full immerse the audience in a cinematic horror aesthetic.
Now, audiences everywhere will experience the “darkest day of horror the world will never know”, as they uncover the unrequited vision of… George A. Romero’s Resident Evil

Very excited to see this project come to life!

I've been told to read Romero's script as it was much more brutal than the Anderson film.
(Romero’s version of laser room trap scene)
CHRIS
(Softly to Jill) This is the heart
of the whole place. They've got to
have it... protected somehow.

Two things happen, almost at once. First.. .CHRIS notices
ELECTRIC EYES... on all of the columns.

CHRIS (cont.)

DUCK
! HIT THE DECK!

Second. A ZOMBIE lurches around a corner and BITES a chunk
out of MARINI'S face. JILL whirls around to shoot at the
zombie, but Chris grabs her and FLATTENS her on the floor.

Marini, staggering, screaming in pain, triggers the first
electric eye. LASER BEAMS shoot in all directions, forming
a tight NET. Chris and Jill are barely beneath them.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Romero script was good. Had more monsters from the game. Barry was awesome too.
My biggest gripe with the Resident Evil movies/TV Show (and the same thing could be said about Halo) is that they went so far away from the source material. You have this amazing source material and these idiots try to change it to something else. I don't know what this fuckwits at Netflix were thinking with that TV show. I'm hoping they don't fuck up Gears of War.

Welcome to Raccoon City could have been so much better if they didn't try and jam two games into one movie. At least they stuck to the source material for the most part....

Romero script was good. Had more monsters from the game. Barry was awesome too.
Yes, I like how Wesker was totally fearless, but the one thing he was afraid of were the Hunters getting out of their pens, just like how the raptors are the last to get out in Jurassic Park. Fun Fact: Romero wanted Kurt Russel for Wesker, Jason Patric and Samantha Mathis for Chris and Jill, and Peter Stormare in an unspecified role. (maybe James Marcus). Would have been cool to have Kurt Russel as the hero charasmatic leader of the team, only to turn into the bad guy at the end. I think thats what Romero was going for. I think the script needed a couple more drafts to get tightened up. There is a big long sequence where the team is lost in the mansion, going around unlocking doors, ect, and nothing really happens.

Last edited:

Doom85

Welcome to Raccoon City could have been so much better if they didn't try and jam two games into one movie. At least they stuck to the source material for the most part....

I still liked it though it was far from an ideal adaptation. Still, the focus was at least on Jill, Chris, Leon, and Claire and not some random OP character who hogs all the focus conveniently played by the director‘s girlfriend/eventual wife. Honestly, my biggest gripe was no Barry and Rebecca (but hey, again better than the prior films which never had Rebecca despite having six films to cover so much and Barry is disrespectfully killed off, not to mention he and Leon willingly working for Wesker is beyond idiotic).

It is funny how it is, IIRC, the first RE anything where Jill and Leon meet, even if only at the end (unless one of the non-canon books by S.D. Perry had them meet, I only read the RE 0 novelization). Despite being arguably the two most iconic RE heroes, it’s strange how they never meet in any of the games or CGI films, I’m not sure if one has even mentioned the other (maybe in 6, but I only played that once so I don’t remember barely any specific scenes).

Neff

I liked Romero's script. I'm sure he would have done a fantastic job with the movie. Sadly his RE2 commercial is now the closest we're ever going to get to it.

Last edited:
I remember in the late 90s, early 2000s, Bruce Campbell would respond to emails if you asked him a question. My memory is vague but i asked him if he was in the running for a role in resident evil (i remember seeing rumors of that on gaming sites) and he said something along the lines of “yes, but George wants Kurt Russel.” I think that while the Romero script has more elements from the game, It plays out a lot like what we actually got with the first Paul Anderson movie. Pure action movie with commandos going in there, and cheesier dialog. Romero didn't write a slow burn horror movie. Its like Aliens. It has the basic gist of the Paul Anderson movie. I wonder if thats what Constantin Film wanted, and Paul Anderson could do it cheaper.

Last edited:

violence

Wow, I didn’t know about a Romero movie. That Anderson is a talented guy at convincing people to let him make movies.

I have a lot of animosity towards Director Anderson. After what he did with resident evil and alien vs predator and then he marries my childhood crush Mila Jovovich.

Last edited:
I think they should finish Resident Evil 1.5 and release it as a “new” Playstation classic, and produce Romero’s final draft of the Resident Evil movie for some ultimate unreleased Resident Evil goodness! (maybe throw in a hookman chapter for Resident Evil 4 remake as an added bonus)

Doom85

I have a lot of animosity towards Director Anderson. After what he did with resident evil and alien vs predator and then he marries my childhood crush Mila Jovovich.

While I also hate his Resident Evil OC Mary Sue fanfiction, I can’t agree with AvP 1. First of all, it’s at least nowhere near as awful as AvP 2 (which he didn’t work on) and the final act of the movie were just the main girl and Predator team up and work non-verbally to fight the Xenomorph is not bad. Plus, I’m not going to say no to a little more Lance Henriksen. It’s a dumb film, but I think it knows that’s all it is, not to mention it’s officially non-canon, so it doesn’t tick me off like Alien 3 or Alien Covenant which pissed on the film stories and characters more IMHO.

He also directed the flawed but enjoyable first Mortal Kombat, and of course the greatness that is Event Horizon.

wind produces GIF

(Romero’s version of laser room trap scene)
CHRIS
(Softly to Jill) This is the heart
of the whole place. They've got to
have it... protected somehow.

Two things happen, almost at once. First.. .CHRIS notices
ELECTRIC EYES... on all of the columns.

CHRIS (cont.)

DUCK
! HIT THE DECK!

Second. A ZOMBIE lurches around a corner and BITES a chunk
out of MARINI'S face. JILL whirls around to shoot at the
zombie, but Chris grabs her and FLATTENS her on the floor.

Marini, staggering, screaming in pain, triggers the first
electric eye. LASER BEAMS shoot in all directions, forming
a tight NET. Chris and Jill are barely beneath them.
I've got goosebumps just reading that! Wow.

Last edited:
I remember being excited when this was announced as I was huge fan of The Dead trilogy and the original remake. That would have been around the time that Romero was probably closer to his prime and it definitely would have been interesting to see his take on the universe.
While I also hate his Resident Evil OC Mary Sue fanfiction, I can’t agree with AvP 1. First of all, it’s at least nowhere near as awful as AvP 2

He also directed the flawed but enjoyable first Mortal Kombat, and of course the greatness that is Event Horizon.

wind produces GIF
Anderson did fine imo of at least providing something relatively competent to the major screen with video-games. It wasn't perfect, I would have preferred things stick closer to the games, but MK and RE were totally fine all things considered. Event Horizon though...man, I wish we got the director's cut of that. It's a classic.

Doom85

Anderson did fine imo of at least providing something relatively competent to the major screen with video-games. It wasn't perfect, I would have preferred things stick closer to the games, but MK and RE were totally fine all things considered. Event Horizon though...man, I wish we got the director's cut of that. It's a classic.

I truly love the RE cast in the games. They’re simple and cheesy, but I love them for it. So you can imagine my serious displeasure at them being mostly cheerleaders for Alice in the movies. Even Wesker, the only one mildly respected in the films, still got a middle finger in the last film with how they offer him. And don’t even get me started on what they did to Barry.

Like, imagine if Anderson had directed films of other Capcom properties. A Mega Man film where Alice does most of the fighting and Mega Man occasionally takes out a random grunt. A Devil May Cry film where Alice owns countless enemies with crazy moves while Dante can barely keep up. Or good lord, a Phoenix Wright movie where it’s Alice who drops the iconic “Objection!” quote and pose.

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Also, I love RE for being zombie stories NOT set in an apocalypse, makes them more unique. Again, something Anderson missed the point on.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There's no restraint in the live action affairs that have been fully produced. Cramming too much material, diverging too heavily from Canon, and possibly the worst sin, misusing elements of the series.

Why is there an Executioner Majini anywhere near the same story that has Zombies and Cerberus? Why introduce franchise OGs only to write their characters as completely incongruous with established depictions as possible? Why take the basic premise and try and maneuver it all? To be "more cinematic," ?

It's endemic to a lot of the failings of contemporary passive horror media in general, though, and to a lesser degree, parallel to some of the rot infesting the interactive horror media, as well. To the first point, everything is made nowadays to cater to the diminished attention spans of youth. Scare chords, jump scares, a need for excessive violence without earning it with tension or buildup. It's the same reason you have absolute fucking helmets saying The Exorcist (OG) was too slow or boring.

To my second point, interactive horror, at least pop culture relevant interactive horror - has gone down one of two diverging paths. The first path is to equate tension with horror or fear, and as much as I adore it, I'm putting the blame squarely on RE4 OG for this one. It's the caveman answer to the equation: If one slow zombro is t3h yikes, then what bout seven fast zombinos?! The second path is the restrained, classy man's solution: To use horror as a setting and vehicle to tell a story that's not actually about horror at all, a la TLOU2.

Sometimes Occam's Razor should be applied preemptively. On the topic of Romero, Night of the Living Dead had about .5% of the staff and crew behind it as the latest Ubisoft game. All those sensitivity and HR and writers and animators, a literal BUSINESS that has employees with the specific job description of collecting analytics to make a bullet proof successful commercial experience - their efforts are peanuts compared to a grassroots film project in terms of creating a believable universe, with a compelling hurdle for a group of interesting, dynamic (and diverse!) characters to solve, all taking place in essentially one set piece.

^THESE are the things that should make the blueprint for heavy hitters in the horror genre. A production that stands the test of time and actually uses it's own medium cleverly to convey both in-world storylines and real life allegory. As a final note, I think the ending to NotLD is much more substantial commentary than a million flags or murals in the latest Spiderman is.

kiphalfton

Brb say RE was inspired by his movies.
Brb he was then given a chance to make the movies.
Brb they ax it and give it to Anderson.

Makes perfect sense.

violence

While I also hate his Resident Evil OC Mary Sue fanfiction, I can’t agree with AvP 1. First of all, it’s at least nowhere near as awful as AvP 2 (which he didn’t work on) and the final act of the movie were just the main girl and Predator team up and work non-verbally to fight the Xenomorph is not bad. Plus, I’m not going to say no to a little more Lance Henriksen. It’s a dumb film, but I think it knows that’s all it is, not to mention it’s officially non-canon, so it doesn’t tick me off like Alien 3 or Alien Covenant which pissed on the film stories and characters more IMHO.

wind produces GIF
I really hated the team up with the predator. I never liked it in the old first script or novel. When I heard Anderson was not only going to direct but also write the movie, I knew it wasn’t gonna be good but I figured at very least the humans and the predator would not team up… I was a guy that used to go to AVP Galaxy every day. I felt this movie just stole the thunder from the idea.

AVP 2 at least had good predator scenes, but was also not great and I don’t think those directors have ever made another movie due to the dark color grading screw up.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I truly love the RE cast in the games. They’re simple and cheesy, but I love them for it. So you can imagine my serious displeasure at them being mostly cheerleaders for Alice in the movies. Even Wesker, the only one mildly respected in the films, still got a middle finger in the last film with how they offer him. And don’t even get me started on what they did to Barry.

Like, imagine if Anderson had directed films of other Capcom properties. A Mega Man film where Alice does most of the fighting and Mega Man occasionally takes out a random grunt. A Devil May Cry film where Alice owns countless enemies with crazy moves while Dante can barely keep up. Or good lord, a Phoenix Wright movie where it’s Alice who drops the iconic “Objection!” quote and pose.

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Also, I love RE for being zombie stories NOT set in an apocalypse, makes them more unique. Again, something Anderson missed the point on.
I think it went for too long but its like, its own universe, its own rules and it works for what it is, i enjoyed the first 3 movies 🍿

At that time there was no formula for a successful videogame adaption and Resident Evil was one of the first successful ones, i can see why Capcom let that franquise run its course

My biggest problem is that 3 movies was enough of the thing

but i also liked the new Welcome to Raccoon City wich aesthetically is a lot more faithful to the games,even if its cheap horror

Top Bottom