• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia cop fired over racist Facebook messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Georgia cop was fired and his colleague abruptly resigned after their racist, sexist and racial slur-ridden Facebook messages became the target of an internal investigation, authorities said.

McIntosh County deputy Brant Gaither was fired on July 25 after his offensive online conversations with cop buddy Jeremy Owens were discovered by a supervisor, according to records obtained by the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Owens resigned the next day.

The disgraced cops, who served on the department’s special traffic unit, would repeatedly use racial slurs in messages – and at one point even hinted at targeting African-American drivers.

“It’s supposed to rain tomorrow. Might not get too many niggs,” Owens said in a message.

“I hope we get a few but (expletive) if we don’t,” Gaither replied.

The tasteless duo also cracked shocking jokes about civil rights hero Martin Luther King Jr., disparaging his most iconic speech.

“I have a dream. That one day my people will not act like animals,” Gaither said.

“Lol. That’ll never happen,” Owens responded.

In addition to outright racist sentiments, the cops’ reportedly also joked about domestic violence against women. Once Gaither was fired, he tried to defend the vulgar messages, claiming they were all sent in good fun. “It was just a joke, we all do it,” he said, according to a memo.

But Sheriff Stephen D. Jessup, who made the call to fire Gaither, didn’t buy it, calling his deputy’s messages an example of “total racism” that made him “want to throw up.” “There was never any question of what I needed to do and I did it,” he said. “I do not tolerate that in my department.”

Gaither and Owens did not return requests for comment from the Daily News early Thursday. Gaither's Facebook page appears to have been taken down, while Owens' remains active and features numerous pro-Donald Trump posts.

More at source

Just another day in post-racist America. Shame one of these bad apples is still roaming the streets with the power to harass folks.

Pull a niggs over if old..

don't feel too bad thinking about how their families will eat, they'll probably get hired at at another police district in a neighboring county.

RPGCrazied

Good riddance. But why do they fire these guys over FB posts, but give them paid vacations when they kill an unarmed black person?

worst part:

In addition to outright racist sentiments, the cops’ reportedly also joked about domestic violence against women. Once Gaither was fired, he tried to defend the vulgar messages, claiming they were all sent in good fun. “It was just a joke, we all do it,” he said, according to a memo.

This is a step forward, I think. Departments across the country have to start taking steps to tackle these mindsets that it's "just a joke." When you're a sworn peace officer, these "jokes" hint at a systemic problem and that's how it could/should be interpreted by the public.

The defense of the one deputy of "we all do it" is troubling. There's already a growing perception of cops as racist bullies. Statements like that are only going to further undermine law enforcement agencies and diminish the public trust because there's likely at least a little truth to it.

Good riddance. But why do they fire these guys over FB posts, but give them paid vacations when they kill an unarmed black person?

First rule of covert racism is you never put that shit in writing. Any racist action or policy can be brushed off with plausible deniability. Why do you think N Carolina's voter ID laws got smacked down while they remain in so many other states? Because they were dumb enough to openly admit to searching for black voting trends.

Gaither (black) fired, Owens (white) given the chance to resign?

Brant Gaither said:
mcintosh7n-2-web.jpg

I mean, we come in all shades..but nah.

HeySeuss

What's the rain comment all about?

Cops don't like to pull people over in the rain because we dont like standing out in it getting wet. The uniform doesn't dry quickly.

But that would be my take. Since the other racist comments they made I'd be inclined to believe it was a "blacks don't like to get wet/can't swim" type of a joke.

Im just as shocked as the cop is. When you get free rein to murder black people without consequence, making n----- jokes should be fine and dandy!

Alucrid

Banned
Gaither (black) fired, Owens (white) given the chance to resign?

when he said "I have a dream. That one day my people will not act like animals" that wasn't an identification of his race. he was just mocking mlk jr and black people as a whole

But Sheriff Stephen D. Jessup, who made the call to fire Gaither, didn’t buy it, calling his deputy’s messages an example of "(systemic) total racism” that made him “want to throw up. (Thinking about what would happen if I got caught)” “There was never any question of what I needed to do and I did it, (to save face at the department)” he said. “I do not tolerate that in my department. (Those who get caught that is)”

There, that's a little closer to reality.

Verelios

Good bye to that nonsense.

We should get Fifa on this immediately, just to make sure racism dies out completely.

There is no real way to justify calling black people niggs or mocking "I have a dream" on fb. Police shiotings, well you got a union and a whole body of law and protections to keep you safe. Just be happy these guys are hetting caught "before" they can even shoot anyone.

Glix

But Sheriff Stephen D. Jessup, who made the call to fire Gaither, didn’t buy it, calling his deputy’s messages an example of “total racism” that made him “want to throw up.” “There was never any question of what I needed to do and I did it,” he said. “I do not tolerate that in my department.”

Good on this man. A good man.

Definitely some bullshit that Owen now works for the Darien police department. Amazing that you can resign for being a piece of shit and just pick up from where you left off across town. Reminds me of those pedophile priest that just get moved to another church..

Other guy shoulda been fired too. Piece of trash.

Yup.

Good on this man. A good man.

Absolutely. They're out there, like Sheriff Craig Apple up in Albany..ain't taking no shit.

Definitely some bullshit that Owen now works for the Darien police department. Amazing that you can resign for being a piece of shit and just pick up from where you left off across town. Reminds me of those pedophile priest that just get moved to another church..

Cop "can post vile racist shit om fb get fired and get a new job across town"
Regular person "your twitter handle is immature, your disqualified from future employment"

Such trash.

We're just on these racist neanderthal's minds so much...And they keep posting dumb shit on social media. Please keep outing yourselves, thanks.

Exile20

How many times does this have to happen?

There is a problem in the police force. It is not just a few bad apples.

It is a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch since slavery.

Zukuu

Banned
We're just on these racist neanderthal's minds so much...And they keep posting dumb shit on social media. Please keep outing yourselves, thanks.
He didn't tho. Seems to have been a private conversation.
The cops' repulsive messages were first discovered after one of Owens’ supervisors was given access to his old computer in mid-July. It was not immediately clear why the supervisor was given permission to review the computer.

johnny956

I feel like it's a couple of cops a week getting fired for racist comments. Somebody needs to keep a log of these and add them up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom