• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Wasn't sure If I should ask this here or in the PS5 thread, figured this might be the best place:

So I am currently finding myself goin down this GOT loading time "rabbit hole," for lack of a better term.

I am playing the game on PS5, running off my external SSD, and it loads my saves in about 14-15 seconds on average, which I thought was pretty damn good for a BC game off an external. However, recently I have seen numerous comments referencing GOT loading times being "lightning fast" even on base PS4, which led me to search for typical GOT loading times and what I found is confusing me.

One guy on YouTube shows his Pro loading a save in just under 8 seconds, and 14 seconds on a base PS4. One guy has his PS5 loading a save in 12 seconds, another guy in 20 seconds.

Was there an update at some point that slowed down load times a bit? Seems like there is a very wide range of results that I can't easily explain other than different versions of the game being shown.

Are my personal results (14-15 seconds off an external SSD on PS5) indictive of a problem on my end?

Thanks for any input.
Run the game on the internal SSD in order to get the best loading times possible. They are not going to be instant because it wasn't built for PS5 but it will be faster than running on an external SSD which is basically equivalent to running it on a PS4 Pro.

One of my favorite Plat's so far. Lovely game. Tremendous game. Just need to run through the NG+ story missions, then get the Legends mode trophies to 100% it.

Great, great game.

KcHTyCZ.jpg

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I haven't played Legends yet, was gonna knock out the NG+ before knocking the Legend stuff out. I honestly don't even know what it is exactly, I imagined some type of horde mode? Or something else entirely? Is it still pretty active?
It's less active than when it launched but I have zero issues matching with maxed out randoms for highest difficulty stuff, so I guess it should be even easier and quicker at entry-level.
It's horde mode + 2 people co-op "story missions", and 3 part RAID mission that requires 4 people.

All co-op PvE and you need good teamwork, the hardest stuff makes Lethal+ campaign a total joke.

it's AMAZING, I never put his much time in a multiplayer game in my life.

It's less active than when it launched but I have zero issues matching with maxed out randoms for highest difficulty stuff, so I guess it should be even easier and quicker at entry-level.
It's horde mode + 2 people co-op "story missions", and 3 part RAID mission that requires 4 people.

All co-op PvE and you need good teamwork, the hardest stuff makes Lethal+ campaign a total joke.

it's AMAZING, I never put his much time in a multiplayer game in my life.

I finished up NG+ last night and jumped into Legends for a few hours. It is a lot of fun, surprisingly good. I need to get each class to rank 20 then knock out the raid at some point to have the trophies 100 percent'd

Bartski

Gold Member
I finished up NG+ last night and jumped into Legends for a few hours. It is a lot of fun, surprisingly good. I need to get each class to rank 20 then knock out the raid at some point to have the trophies 100 percent'd
It's good if you have people you "know" to play with at around your level, and you should organically just meet some along the way if you communicate. The net code is crazy good, my team is from India, Europe and LA and somehow it still works. I've always hated voice chat as a concept, it took me a while until I started, but for RAID you simply have to coordinate stuff. The GoT Discord server is where people are constantly looking to team up

Grinchy

Banned
I'm liking this game a lot atm. I have set up the different outfits to be very specialized so I just change into each of them for whatever situation I'm currently in.

I keep meaning to progress the story, but then I find myself roaming around clearing things on the map instead. Upgrading things and getting new armors and stuff is just too satisfying. I wish looting was better, though.

Going around and looking for little flashing items that only flash when you're close enough in little villages where everything already looks the same and you don't know which huts you've already looked inside can get very tedious.

Boss Man

I felt the same way about loot markers, I hope they can find a way to improve it in the next game.

I think they made a few gameplay concessions to make the game feel a lot more cinematic. I’m not typically into that, but I think the amount of immersion gained from the small concessions (no enemy targeting, wind instead of map markers, subtle loot markers and UI in general) was worth it for this game.

If they could just make finding loot slightly less subtle (ex: at first I tried spamming R2 to see clearer markers...I think that would have worked) I think that’d be perfect.

Last edited:

Keihart

This town reminds me of the houses in GoT, pretty cool stuff

No related to the thread, but related to video games, this town reminds a lot of Hanuda from Siren

Pretty awesome channel btw, almost like a virtual tour.

Last edited:

Kupfer

One of my favorite Plat's so far. Lovely game. Tremendous game. Just need to run through the NG+ story missions, then get the Legends mode trophies to 100% it.

Great, great game.

KcHTyCZ.jpg
Wait ... you can put talismans in armor?
I just platinumed the game today and didn't even see there are slots. I thought you can only put them in your sword.

Bartski

Gold Member
Wait ... you can put talismans in armor?
I just platinumed the game today and didn't even see there are slots. I thought you can only put them in your sword.
It's like a custom loadout feature, came with one of the updates. You have to enable it in the settings

FunkMiller

Just got done with the main campaign, with two of the areas of the island fully liberated as I went, and holy hell... what an absolutely fucking brilliant game from start to finish.

Okay, the story ain’t winning any awards, but the characters, their relationships, the combat, the side quests, the optional areas like the shrines, and just the endless beauty on display in every single area, makes this one of the best games of the last generation, and the absolute pinnacle of effective open world game design.

I’m now going to clear up all the outstanding locations on the island, and play a little Legends as well.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Just got done with the main campaign, with two of the areas of the island fully liberated as I went, and holy hell... what an absolutely fucking brilliant game from start to finish.

Okay, the story ain’t winning any awards, but the characters, their relationships, the combat, the side quests, the optional areas like the shrines, and just the endless beauty on display in every single area, makes this one of the best games of the last generation, and the absolute pinnacle of effective open world game design.

I’m now going to clear up all the outstanding locations on the island, and play a little Legends as well.
Can you explain to me how the southern maps open back up? I'm clearing the northern map and all of a sudden a mission calls for going to the southern map and I must have missed how they explain the whole exile thing away?

MrA

So if I'm following this correctly ghost of tsushima's end game is with Destiny's end game should have been but I didn't need it to begin with. Also as of today, it is still full price at retail in the us, that is quite the hold, guess I'll be longer than expected for it on ps+ or to buy a copy

D.Final

Banned
So if I'm following this correctly ghost of tsushima's end game is with Destiny's end game should have been but I didn't need it to begin with. Also as of today, it is still full price at retail in the us, that is quite the hold, guess I'll be longer than expected for it on ps+ or to buy a copy
Go and play this safety

mxbison

Do you need all of the "?" on the map to get the platinum? And what about those scrolls and stuff you sometimes find in a mongol camp?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Do you need all of the "?" on the map to get the platinum? And what about those scrolls and stuff you sometimes find in a mongol camp?
The open world is so lovey to explore and, if you have to use it, fast travel is really fast (to get closer to those spots)... I am barely started with the second Act of the game and I fully liberated the souther part of the island and done all the side quests I could (if not exactly pretty close to that).

It would be curious to compare the stats, skills and weapons/armour, to others that are at a similar point in the game. Such a joy to play this game... really clever technical and art choices that make it look even more impressive. Sure, on PS5 you enjoy near 4K resolution at 60 FPS, but even the good ok’ base PS4 with 1080p/30 FPS is still mind blowingly good looking overall.

Damn I tried Ghost on PS5 and holy shit does it look and run like a dream.
I wish I would have waited to play it on PS5.

I would replay it now but now it's too early.

Glitched Trophy!?!
I’m playing through now, about 73 hours in, loving it. I just got the final sword upgrade (VII) and “The Perfect Storm” did not pop! After such a long game this better not lock me out of a Platinum. I don’t see anyone else say this didn’t work for them online, am I missing something?

EDIT: and now hours later I check and it says I earned it... it never popped on my notifications though. PS5 glitch?

Last edited:

Aggelos

Go Digital Domain!

noise36

Picked this up on heavy discount to play on ps5.

Some initial thoughts after a little play time.

I find the graphics good yet also bad, in that its mostly very polished as you would expect, character models and animation are nice but the world feels like someone has copy pasted the same details over and over, heavy use of blurring and fog, and the constant wind related animations are annoying and overused. I guess its the last gen limitations but it feels like a last gen console game, or maybe its just because the last game I finished was Cyberpunk maxed out on PC, so my perception is skewed.

I like some of the swordplay elements and it is holding my interest so far but cant shake the feeling in the early stages like I am playing a ubisoft game.

Last edited:

Pantz

vklSiME.jpg

Finally got around to pulling my PS4 Pro screenshots to a USB since it's been disconnected after getting PS5.

Thought this was a funny situation. I was traveling along and came upon this hotel. Dude's standing in a pool of blood, in the middle of the night, in the rainstorm. Then there's the woman sweeping up the wet dirt off to the side. Nothing suspicious here, nothing at all.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jin goes through much more than most similar characters in this sort of story. Yes he transforms from the more conservative Samurai to a more resourceful albeit morally questionable assassin, but he also saves his fellow citizens in the process. He rescues his uncle and defeats countless Mongols, but pays a huge price for it in the end.

At that point, the concepts of right and wrong are interpretative. Jin realizes this, puts his pride aside, and ultimately makes his own decisions so he can achieve the goal of saving his home. While Jin still maintains the calmness and mastery over his emotions that he was taught as a child, he also now knows what that strictness can lead to if not occasionally influenced by a changing reality.

Finally got around to beating the game…..that was probably the best PlayStation exclusive of the last generation

now I just gotta clear the mongols out and pray we get a surprise dlc

kikkis

First real boss has been more difficult than any souls boss pretty much. Not for all right reasons though, one attack takes most of my health and i got basically 1.5 bars worth of healing. That blue attack parry most of the time doesnt seem to do anything, i.e character doesnt even start to animate, and sometimes attacks hit and sometimes they do after dodge. And the framerate isnt helping. But its not super bad in terms of boss fight.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's almost time for the director's cut!
Any word on how we'll transfer our save data from the ps4 version to the ps5 version?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

So, did you pick the good ending or the bad ending?

I couldn't muster the will to do the right thing, so ended up with the bad ending.

Honestly tho, I think the way the story goes, there's strong arguments for both endings.

Last edited:
Just finishing everyting in Iki Island. Fun stuff. The ending is sorta brief, but I guess it is a side story after all.

Just finished yesterday and I really liked the story much more than I thought I would. It was a nice touch introducing the complicated history of Jin with his father. I could do without almost every other addition though. The flute side activity was never fun and the only real change to combat is the introduction of the shaman and enemies being able to swap out weapons mid fight...kinda meh. Its more Ghosts, for all the good and bad that could entail depending on who you are.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So, is the expansion worth coming back into the game? What's the length of it?

I platinum it back on PS4 when it was released, haven't played it since, not even played the online mode.

Now I have a PS5 and could tackle both modes, I guess.

Top Bottom