• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Following a glowing bird is exactly the same as following an icon on a mini-map. Honestly, I felt the Skill-Up review was kind of unfair to Assassin's Creed here. In AC now, you have to fly around as your bird friend and scout out all of the enemies and mark them like in Metal Gear 5 if you want icons to show up like that. You don't have the icons like he showed unless you want to take the time to mark them through actual gameplay. Here, you just randomly find a shiny object and follow it. It seems even more passive and mindless to me honestly, with the only "improvement" being that the icon is an animal instead of a number.

The UI at best has cosmetic changes and not gameplay changes. The numbers in AC are ugly visually, but they're actually more interactive in terms of gameplay than following an animal.

Man, I can't agree with that. Having an icon on the map and screen is nothing like having a subtle graphical indication of which direction to go. It merges perfectly with the aesthetic and makes it part of the art. It's wonderful.

Skyr

Scores are good enough for me. Days Gone had a "bad" metacritic score and I ended up loving it.

Ow and I just noticed that this generation began with Infamous second son for me, and now will end with Ghost of Tsushima.

tenor.gif

vpance

As far as open world goes I think I'll like this more than Days Gone.

As much as I liked DG it did get pretty samey as it went on. The combat in GoT should make things more interesting, I hope.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet... seems like it's not a disaster, so I'm sure I'll probably enjoy it.

Any of the reviews go deep into performance on PS4 Pro? I'm basically waiting for the DPReview analysis before deciding whether or not to buy at launch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thank fuck we can be on the same page for a change :) I do hope you don't hold grudges because I never mean to upset people. :)
???? grudge for what? People are allowed to have different opinions, I’m not gonna hate on someone because they have different opinions than I do.

Last edited:

Karak

Man, I can't agree with that. Having an icon on the map and screen is nothing like having a subtle graphical indication of which direction to go. It merges perfectly with the aesthetic and makes it part of the art. It's wonderful.
Interesting. Even devs I have talked to have been in love with the feature and discussing interaction through a graphical interface and how they work differently. So I mean even people who make the games think its something unique

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Interesting. Even devs I have talked to have been in love with the feature and discussing interaction through a graphical interface and how they work differently. So I mean even people who make the games think its something unique

I didn't specifically mean it was unique but I can't think of another game that does it either.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody here streaming this? (or will)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Definitely. Anything innovation in the HUD space that leads to a more seamless integration with the game world, is a great thing.

NT80

Super easy with no consequences for messing up sounds really bad. I hate that sort of design philosophy.

iorek21

According to the SkillUP review, there are multiple Allies storylines composed of various sidequests.

That's great, it's something that even Witcher 3 fails a little bit, seeing that most of the quest givers are one time only (even big characters like Dandelion and Zoltan); it could help a lot in the development of side characters.

One thing: of all reviews I have watched, I barely see any climbing (and I'm such a sucker for climbing in games), is it a frequent feature?

GymWolf

Gold Member
how is the difficulty on hard for a relatively good skilled player?

is like every 99% of open world games on hard where they start with a good challenge and by half game and a couple of upgrades you are a terminator or more like gow where hard and very hard are REAL hard for the entire game?

i mean i like a good sense of progression but i hate stomping on enemies with ease.

thanks.

GymWolf

Gold Member
According to the SkillUP review, there are multiple Allies storylines composed of various sidequests.

That's great, it's something that even Witcher 3 fails a little bit, seeing that most of the quest givers are one time only (even big characters like Dandelion and Zoltan); it could help a lot in the development of side characters.

One thing: of all reviews I have watched, I barely see any climbing (and I'm such a sucker for climbing in games), is it a frequent feature?
they did the same with the infamous games, you had these side missions with secondary characters.

Iorv3th

So the reviews saying it's too easy, maybe we should just turn the difficulty up? I remember playing through infamous on the hardest difficulty to get that trophy and forgot I selected it until the last boss fight.

No reviews have said its hard. Multiple reviews said its a bit easy, even on hard. Every review said the stealth was easy, and that ninja tools are very strong, and enemy AI is not great. However, there is supposedly a good amount of enemy variety.

I'm definitely playing on hard, and hope that they add a master mode down the line if enough people bring it up.

Karak

is like every 99% of open world games on hard where they start with a good challenge and by half game and a couple of upgrades you are a terminator or more like gow where hard and very hard are REAL hard for the entire game?

i mean i like a good sense of progression but i hate stomping on enemies with ease.

thanks.
WOnt be difficult then.

Peroroncino

So the reviews saying it's too easy, maybe we should just turn the difficulty up? I remember playing through infamous on the hardest difficulty to get that trophy and forgot I selected it until the last boss fight.

I recall Karak Karak saying that on Hard difficulty enemies are more aggressive and don't patiently wait for their turn to strike. So I'll give it a go, for sure.

edit: lol, talk about timing

Last edited:

WellSheet

You stated a fact. Still not sure why folks listen to mainstream journalists.

Not to derail the thread, but just wanted to say... besides it’s production values/animations....Days Gone, being the most apt comparison for TLOU2, is superior in every way......it just seemingly LACKED the proper agenda pushed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
No reviews have said its hard. Multiple reviews said its a bit easy, even on hard. Every review said the stealth was easy, and that ninja tools are very strong, and enemy AI is not great. However, there is supposedly a good amount of enemy variety.

I'm definitely playing on hard, and hope that they add a master mode down the line if enough people bring it up.
i hate when devs adds more difficulty modes after the launch.

let me play the damn thing with sekiro level of difficulty during my first and probably only (and more significative) run ffs.

Last edited:

yurinka

Xotaxu: No score.

"..throughout playing this game I was in turmoil as I struggled to grasp why a Japanese corporation should promote a western developer to appropriate its history and culture. I refused to engage in any in-game action that I felt was too westernised, leaving me to contemplate the more profound conflict in society at large today.

Also the game has no observably non-binary characters and I was unable to find the option to turn my hair blue. I'll be deep-diving into these issues in a separate report.
"
I'd say it's a joke post, but is it a real quote? I think we may see multiple outlets mentioning things like that.

Dontero

Banned
Amazing games are not amazing because their low parts are better than other games low parts. They are amazing because their highest heights are higher than most other game highest hights.

I was right in my prediction for game. Sucker Punch simply never fallowed above mantra. They were always interested in creating game that doesn't have lows rather than chasing those highest heights. I loved their concept for Infamous aka playing actual dark hero instead you got boring open world and whole good vs evil ended up being just surface choice for game-play.

Still it should sell well.

Last edited:

Hyphen

Anyone else going to walk everywhere? I did that in my first playthrough of The Witcher too.

You walked everywhere in The Witcher (Witcher 3 I presume)? Surely that would have taken you years to complete then!?
If the environment is beautiful and varied enough, I will definitely walk... 😉

Amazing games are not amazing because their low parts are better than other games low parts. They are amazing because their highest heights are higher than most other game highest hights.

I was right in my prediction for game. Sucker Punch simply never fallowed above mantra. They were always interested in creating game that doesn't have lows rather than chasing those highest heights. I loved their concept for Infamous aka playing actual dark hero instead you got boring open world and whole good vs evil ended up being just surface choice for game-play.
This right here. There is no such thing as a "Perfect" game. There is not such thing as a flawless game. Every game has it's low-points, but sometimes the high-points make up for it or completely over shadow the low-points. Even one of the most well reviewed games Zelda BOTW had critics pointing out low-points and things they didn't like, but the high-points made up for it.

I all comes down to whether or not those highs can over your lows.

TheMan

Scores are good enough for me. Days Gone had a "bad" metacritic score and I ended up loving it.

Ow and I just noticed that this generation began with Infamous second son for me, and now will end with Ghost of Tsushima.

tenor.gif

Wasnt ISS the first openworld game on PS4? Man that feels like a life-time ago, soooo much has changed since then.

GOT looks like it's gonna be a proper send off too.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I like well done stealth. Far Cry games are always fun for that reason I can always take down a camp and have a good time doing it. I liked the predator missions of the Batman Arkham games too, they were often the best part of the game. Right now I’m playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time and loving the stealth elements. It’s a popular gaming trope and can be done well or poorly like any other. This having good cinematic stealth only gets me more hyped.
if you like good stealth with a lot of options and a superb level design (far better than any game you listed) try the dishonored saga (with the dlc), but you have to use the brain in this saga, no "hide around the bush" there.

Top Bottom