• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Esca

Scores are what i expected. Combat scares me some since im absolutely horrible at parrying but having an easy mode if needed for some fights eases my mind. Looks like a good game that is going to scratch thre right itch I have atm.

Vroadstar

I thought it was "confirmed" that Sony pay for reviews and reviewers were afraid to give their games low scores? So why doesn't this have a 94 minimum on MC?

Some took a masters on...
taCaeU0.jpg

2 Reviews i found really insightful.
1 review finished on hard and other review points out some details that i don't see in other reviews.

Nico_D

Watched Karak's review. Damn that man almost convinced me. The only thing that worries me is the whole open world thing, pretty tired of the tropes that far too often come with it.

Also it seems a long, will the story be good enough to carry it and not resort to repetitiveness?

GymWolf

I hope I like the game as much as this reviewer. I'm also biased towards anything involving ninjas, Japan, etc

The game looks amazing

Yeah i stopped his review when he said the he likes the enemy being brain dead in the stealth so he can feel more badass while slaying them, that is a shitty take if i ever saw one...the game is called ghost of fucking tsushima, the stealth being shit is a huge flaw (for people who care about good stealth).

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah i stopped his review when he said the he likes the enemy being brain dead in the stealth so he can feel more badass while slaying them, that is a shitty take if i ever saw one...the game is called ghost of fucking tsushima, the stealth being shit is a huge flaw (for people who care about good stealth).

No it isn't. For one, that's not exactly how he couched it and secondly, this whole push for realism is destroying fun gameplay elements. To have a truly great stealth game, reality is NOT something to pursue. In reality, stealthing a whole encampment by yourself would be impossible, so the further they move towards realism, the further from what stealth players want. If we continue down this path ALL games will just end up being pew-pew brain dead crap.

Ar¢tos

The game is 3 days away and it had 4 patches already?
I think this is going to be another God of War with a daily patch In the first 2 weeks.

Kadayi

Banned
Watched a few online reviews and have to admit lack of dismemberment aside the game looks pretty dope. I was particularly impressed with the emphasis on the minimal hud, in order to maintain immersion something the Ubisoft AC Team could learn a lesson or two from.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No it isn't. For one, that's not exactly how he couched it and secondly, this whole push for realism is destroying fun gameplay elements. To have a truly great stealth game, reality is NOT something to pursue. In reality, stealthing a whole encampment by yourself would be impossible, so the further they move towards realism, the further from what stealth players want. If we continue down this path ALL games will just end up being pew-pew brain dead crap.
There is a huge difference between enemies so smart that they ruin stealth and brain dead enemies who make the stealth a joke.

Strangely enough a couple of weeks ago people was shitting his pants for the organized and smart ia during stealth in tlou2 vut now having brain dead enemoes with the attention span of a 2 years old is not a problem at all, sorry if a chuckle a little...

And yes, that is exactly what he say, usually enemies being retarded is a flaw but in this game it kinda works because you can be more badass because of that, yeah shitty take is shitty, no doubt, shitty ia during stealth is a flaw,no matter how you feel about it, and a huge flaw if your game is called ghost of tsushima and the whole story arc is the protagonist becoming a ninja, it's literally half of the gameplay loop.

Last edited:

INC

Looks exacts expected

A 30hr open World game, not much, beautiful world, combat that serves its purpose

8.5/10

Day 1

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There is a huge difference between enemies so smart that they ruin stealth and brain dead enemies who make the stealth a joke.

Strangely enough a couple of weeks ago people was shitting his pants for the organized and smart ia during steqlth in tlou2 vut now having brain dead enemoes with the attention span of a 2 years old is not a problem at all, sorry if a chuckle a little...

We've seen that stealth can go wrong in many reviews. In the video you're talking about, he gets caught and has to deal with the enemies 'before' they can alert anyone else. You still clearly have to take your time but it doesn't alert everyone in the encampment if you fail, just a handful of enemies nearby, more if you don't deal with them quickly. That to me sounds exactly what I'm looking for in a stealth game.

And as far as TLOU2 is concerned, I detest the game because of the enemy AI.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just checked the update history. I'm on 1.04, it has notes for all 3 patches before and I've read comments of people yesterday that were on 1.03.

Ah, OK, I didn't think to look at those. Thanks.

edit: Wait a minute ... does it update automatically or do I need to update it manually? I downloaded it yesterday.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Watched a few online reviews and have to admit lack of dismemberment aside the game looks pretty dope. I was particularly impressed with the emphasis on the minimal hud, in order to maintain immersion something the Ubisoft AC Team could learn a lesson or two from.
The game has dismemberment tho, i saw arms and heads flying away.

GymWolf

We've seen that stealth can go wrong in many reviews. In the video you're talking about, he gets caught and has to deal with the enemies 'before' they can alert anyone else. You still clearly have to take your time but it doesn't alert everyone in the encampment if you fail, just a handful of enemies nearby, more if you don't deal with them quickly. That to me sounds exactly what I'm looking for in a stealth game.

And as far as TLOU2 is concerned, I detest the game because of the enemy AI.
That is not the problem, the problem is enemy being blind and deaf and with ultra gamey positioning to favor stealth kills or with a reducted attention span, days gone was kinda the same.

Tlou2 stealth is pretty realistic, if you alert someone they scream so every close enemy is allerted (not every single enemy in the stage, especially in big areas) but if you hide again they don't know where you are and they start searching you again, far more realistic than alerting enemies once and being constantly hunted because you can't hide anymore with the enemy having a fucking radar to find you.
I don't understand how it ruined the game for you when you jist need to run away and hide qgain to regain stealth status...is one of the most fair stealth systems.

I'm not sure of how it works in tsushima, but enemies having the same senses of a 90 years old man is not exactly exciting and like some review said, it suck any tension off.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned

2 Reviews i found really insightful.
1 review finished on hard and other review points out some details that i don't see in other reviews.

I liked Yong`s review a lot. No bullshite, no politics, minimal opinion where it should not be.
A lot of facts, insights, tries to talk about every aspect of the game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That is not the problem, the problem is enemy being blind and deaf and with ultra gamey positioning to favor stealth kills or with a reducted attention span, days gone was kinda the same.

Tlou2 stealth is pretty realistic, if you alert someone they scream so every close enemy is allerted (not every single enemy in the stage, especially in big areas) but if you hide again they don't know where you are and they start searching you again, far more realistic than alerting enemies once and being constantly hunted because you can't hide anymore with the enemy having a fucking radar to find you.

I'm not sure of how it works in tsushima, but enemies having the same senses of a 90 years old man is not exactly exciting and like some review said, it suck any tension off.

That's not stealth to me and I know for certain other stealth players don't consider that stealth either. If you're spotted, you failed the attempt at stealth. The idea of stealth is to creep through an entire encampment, kill everyone and NEVER be seen. That's the fun of it. That's what makes MGS good. It's the clinical, thoughtful and planned approach that wins the day and makes it all worth. Many stealth players will immediately begin again if they get spotted.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I had my doubts with this game.

Shouldn't have watched ACG's review, now I need to play this.

SkylineRKR

I don't understand how it ruined the game for you when you jist need to run away and hide qgain to regain stealth status...is one of the most fair stealth systems.

Plus, I think you can alter almost everything. You can make enemies dumber and also toggle a switch on for full invisibility during prone. I think TLoU2 did some things very right, which is what I liked about that game.

GymWolf

That's not stealth to me and I know for certain other stealth players don't consider that stealth either. If you're spotted, you failed the attempt at stealth. The idea of stealth is to creep through an entire encampment, kill everyone and NEVER be seen. That's the fun of it. That's what makes MGS good. It's the clinical, thoughtful and planned approach that wins the day and makes it all worth attempting.
And you can do that in tlou2?!!

Just restart every time they discover you, i used this tactic some time when i was trying to go completely stealth.

I mean, don't you restart the game in mgs5 when they discover you because you want a complete stealth run?? What is the difference with tlou2? Restart and try again, simple.

It is such a non-problem onestly.

And even in mgs5 if you stay hide enough enemy return to their calm state, i really don't see this huge difference...

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
It depends on who made the game.
Gears of War 5 with 84 = Boring, repetetive, uninspired
Ghosts with 84 = Innovative, excellent, The Holy Grail of gaming

The reactions to score depends on expectations.

84 for a 5th game in a franchise that had 90+ heavy hitters is seen as disappointing because the devs are not shaking up the formula started with XboX360 enough to warrant a seal of excellence again.
84 for a new IP which not only borrows but actually improves on AC formula in certain aspects is seen as a pretty good effort and generates positive vibes.

The truth is that both games on their own objectively are roughly at the same "quality" level as reflected by the score - very good but shy of being best-in-class.

Tomeru

It depends on who made the game.
Gears of War 5 with 84 = Boring, repetetive, uninspired
Ghosts with 84 = Innovative, excellent, The Holy Grail of gaming

TBH, one is a new ip while the other is the 5th iteration in a series. You could factor in fatigue and such and so etc. I would never say that one game score means the same as another games' score (scores being identical too).

Free your mind. I can only show you the door.

GymWolf

What part of I didn't doubt you in the first place don't you quite understand exactly GymWolf GymWolf ? The 'didn't' or the 'doubt' part? Take a leaf from Frozen and let it go.
Dude what the hell are you talking about?

You said to me that you don't have time to check 17 pages and i said to you that there is a gif with decapitations in this very page...take a leaf from frozen? What the hell does that mean??

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
And you can do that in tlou2?!!

Just restart every time they discover you, i used this tactic some time when i was trying to go completely stealth.

I mean, you don:t restart the game in mgs5 when they discover you because you want a complete stealth run?? What is the difference with tlou2? Restart and try again, simple.

It is such a non-problem...

Naa, I gave up when I realised it wasn't a stealth game. People calling out for friends and dogs ruin the stealth make it impossible. People argue it doesn't but every single time they do, they always talk about the fact you can run and hide again. People seem to be wanting to redefine what stealth is for stealth players for some reason.

It's not a none problem for people who like to play stealth in a game that promotes stealth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom