• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Kadayi

Banned
84 for a 5th game in a franchise that had 90+ heavy hitters is seen as disappointing because the devs are not shaking up the formula started with XboX360 enough to warrant a seal of excellence again.
84 for a new IP which not only borrows but actually improves on AC formula in certain aspects is seen as a pretty good effort and generates positive vibes.

Excellent take. It's rare that a new IP ever comes out without flaws, but a strong initial showing generally points to future titles ironing out the flaws.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
it suck any tension off
Well, in TLOU2 the reason is stealth is much more intense especially in survival difficulty because you have limited resource to work with and sometimes you don't even have not enough to go full Stealth. in GoT the MC is faaar more capable and he has more tools and similar to Sekiro the stealth is not suppose to be crazy challenging, because you are not try to "survive" like in TLOU, you are hunting.

Sleepwalker

To gameshare it now at $30 or wait for a sale and get it even lower is the question. I guess I still haven't started FFVII remake...

GymWolf

Well, in TLOU2 the reason is stealth is much more intense especially in survival difficulty because you have limited resource to work with and sometimes you don't even have not enough to go full Stealth. in GoT the MC is faaar more capable and he has more tools and similar to Sekiro the stealth is not suppose to be crazy challenging, because you are not try to "survive" like in TLOU, you are hunting.
It looks like an excuse tbh.
Enemy being completely retarded has nothing to do with jin having more resources, and i repeat myself again, the game is called ghost of tsushima, being the ghost is a gigantic part of the game, in no way stealth in tlou2 is more important or deserve more polish than tsushima.

People shit on ac saga stealth and those guys have even more tool than jin, still not an excuse for shitty and easy stealth.

Stealth without tension is bad stealth, no one can convince me otherwise.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I've yet to see a review yet that makes me doubt my purchase.

Oh, I'm buying it no doubt. It's just a matter of when. I still havent played re2 remake, ffvii, control and a few others. I could potentially work on my backlog and grab this up when its cheaper.. but then again, new game hype?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh, I'm buying it no doubt. It's just a matter of when. I still havent played re2 remake, ffvii, control and a few others. I could potentially work on my backlog and grab this up when its cheaper.. but then again, new game hype?

Oh, well, in that case get on with it!!! I always finish games before I buy another.

GymWolf

Naa, I gave up when I realised it wasn't a stealth game. People calling out for friends and dogs ruin the stealth make it impossible. People argue it doesn't but every single time they do, they always talk about the fact you can run and hide again. People seem to be wanting to redefine what stealth is for stealth players for some reason.

It's not a none problem for people who like to play stealth in a game that promotes stealth.
To me It's a non problem because you can restart the encounter and do a perfect stealth run like in mgs5, the loading is even pretty fast so again, i don't understand your problem...i did perfect stealth sections of the game every time i wanted.

What you do when they discover you in mgs5 but you still want to make a stealth run?? Press start and then restart encounter, exactly the same for tlou2.

And stealth is very broad in terms of gameplay, there is not a unique correct way to do it, a lot of specialized stealth games use different type of alarms and awareness system so saying that people is trying to change the essence or meaning of stealth gameplay sound pretty non sense to me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

It's a non problem because you can restart the encounter and doing a perfect stealth run
Well in TLOU2 you something can’t do perfect stealth run because you don’t enough resource, especially when playing on survival difficulty.

GymWolf

Well in TLOU2 you something can’t do perfect stealth run because you don’t enough resource, especially when playing on survival difficulty.
Maybe we have a different understanding of the word perfect stealth...

You can do perfect stealth even with zero resources, just wait for the enemy to be alone and fuck them from behind, you know like many stealth games without silencers or bows.
You can even make you partially see to attract them in specific places.

Someone would even say that tkedown from behind after studying enemy patrol route is the purest form of stealth in gaming.

The only time you can't do perfect stealth without at least 1-2 arrow or silenced bullet is when you have dogs but i never tried stealth takedown on dogs so i don't even know if it's a possibility, and encounters with dogs are less than 10 in the entire game if i remember well, the majority of time enemies don't have dogs.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
So let me get this right ..

you are letting others to make the decision for your purchase .. someone like gamespot who gave Death Stranding (9) and gave AC Odyssey (8)! . I’m not saying it’s good or bad but it’s unbelievable when you see the contradiction in reviews .

Well , good luck with that .

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Most reviews have actually mentioned it's darker and more serious so I'm not certain why anyone would even say that.
Oh weird, I must've looked at the wrong reviews then. Saw several comments about how the combat/graphics were 'serious' but the story, characters, gameplay loop, etc were all "too focused on fun" and not serious enough to match the tone.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh weird, I must've looked at the wrong reviews then. Saw several comments about how the combat/graphics were 'serious' but the story, characters, gameplay loop, etc were all "too focused on fun" and not serious enough to match the tone.

One review even said he thought it took itself TOO seriously. My overview from the many video reviews I've seen is it's gently paced with mood aplenty. Just as I like it!

Last edited:

GymWolf

No it's a pretty serious story with almost no humor.

I bet it's still not gonna be near close to the cheap "sad and dark" stuff on tlou like killing dogs or pregnant women or shock value deaths just because, but it's not an happy samurai story.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
The reactions to score depends on expectations.

84 for a 5th game in a franchise that had 90+ heavy hitters is seen as disappointing because the devs are not shaking up the formula started with XboX360 enough to warrant a seal of excellence again.

84 for a new IP which not only borrows but actually improves on AC formula in certain aspects is seen as a pretty good effort and generates positive vibes.

The truth is that both games on their own objectively are roughly at the same "quality" level as reflected by the score - very good but shy of being best-in-class.

I agree to most of you points, but i never got that "it's a new ip" argument, especially when most game mechanics are well known from other games. There is no big risc at failing if you copy successful games with some minor improvements. For example Spider-Man is a new ip, but it's nearly a Batman Arkham with Spidey costume. I would give Death Stranding some extra credits for actually really trying something new, but that's pretty much it.

TBH, one is a new ip while the other is the 5th iteration in a series. You could factor in fatigue and such and so etc. I would never say that one game score means the same as another games' score (scores being identical too).

Free your mind. I can only show you the door.

In the end a 84 is a 84 and the quality of the games is comparable on an objective basis. It's up to you If you give a game credits just for being a new ip. I don't.

Danjin44

You can do perfect stealth even with zero resources, just wait for the enemy to be alone and fuck them from behind, you know like many stealth games without silencers or bows.
Well there are enemies like Scars that are never alone, there is always with someone and stealth kills always has very slow animation, which is very risky, also the AI in TLOU2 is no where near perfect, they lose track of you very quickly unless they have dogs with them and they do stupid things like they have get very close to dead body of their friends before start informing everyone else.

GymWolf

Well there are enemies like Scars that are never alone, there is always with someone and stealth kills always has very slow animation, which is very risky, also the AI in TLOU2 is no where near perfect, they lose track of you very quickly unless they have dogs with them and they do stupid things like they have get very close to dead body of their friends before start informing everyone else.
Never said the ia in tlou2 is perfect or near to perfect, during stealth they are still pretty retarded, just less retarded than other games.

And scars walk alone a lot of times, i had no problem killing them in stealth without allerting no one.

Danjin44

And scars walk alone a lot of times, i had no problem killing them in stealth without allerting no one.
What difficulty did you played? I played the game on survival difficulty from get go and with scars most of the time they were two man team searching the areas.

GymWolf

What difficulty did you played? I played the game on survival difficulty from get go and with scars most of the time they were two man team searching the areas.
Survival.

Sometimes they start together but then they eventually split.

You can also make them barely see you to attract them, sometimes they come in couples, sometimes alone.

Last edited:

Tomeru

In the end a 84 is a 84 and the quality of the games is comparable on an objective basis. It's up to you If you give a game credits just for being a new ip. I don't.

So as long as its a 3rd person game (for this example), a game with guns is to be judged the same way as a game with swords. That means a ranged focused game works the same way as a melee focused game?

Sure, both are games, and both willl probably have some/many comparable traits. But hey both evoke and require different attention from the player. How can you objectively compare both types of games to a tee?

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
So as long as its a 3rd person game (for this example), a game with guns is to be judged the same way as a game with swords. That means a ranged focused game works the same way as a melee focused game?

Sure, both are games, and both willl probably have some/many comparable traits. But hey both evoke and require different attention from the player. How can you objectively compare both types of games to a tee?
Every game can be rated from 0-100, no matter what genre and any game that gets a 84 is a decent game, far away from must have, but also far away from crap. You can't say game A with 84 is shitty, because it's part 20 of a series or you don't like the genre and game B with 84 is godlike, because it's new or you like the genre more.

SkylineRKR

I played hard mode of TLoU 2 and in most cases you could stealth your way through. I fucked up a lot but there were lots of ways and paths to do so if I had the patience. The scars island I completely stealthed. I enjoyed the cornfield in particular.

I think you can upgrade stealth kills to be faster, or use a silenced pistol to quickly off them during a grab.

Last edited:

GymWolf

some screens
Ec5IU4UXYAMiF_U

Ec5IU4VWAAArxrh

Ec5LLN0XoAUf9O_

Ghost-of-Tsushima_20200627012213.jpg

Ghost-of-Tsushima_review-5.jpg

Ghost-of-Tsushima_review-6.jpg

Ghost-of-Tsushima_review-4.jpg

Last edited:
He lost me at "this is the most beautiful game I have ever seen" followed by 5 mns of description of the beauty. Using so much hyperbole on the most subjective of criteria just doesn't do much for his credibility at a time when payola for youtube reviews is heavily suspected. 7:10 mns into the review and all I've heard so far is how beautiful the game is. He seems completely intent on making up my mind for me about that before I go in. And spending so much time on the optics without mentioning any metrics (framerate? resolution? rendering techniques?) is juvenile.
Shut yo dumb ass up, boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

HotPocket69

Banned
He lost me at "this is the most beautiful game I have ever seen" followed by 5 mns of description of the beauty. Using so much hyperbole on the most subjective of criteria just doesn't do much for his credibility at a time when payola for youtube reviews is heavily suspected. 7:10 mns into the review and all I've heard so far is how beautiful the game is. He seems completely intent on making up my mind for me about that before I go in. And spending so much time on the optics without mentioning any metrics (framerate? resolution? rendering techniques?) is juvenile.

Boy you said it. I lost sleep last night due to the lack of an explanation of their rendering techniques. I mean, it really is such a juvenile misstep. Elementary even.

Have you written a letter to him yet explaining your disapproval?

Tomeru

Every game can be rated from 0-100, no matter what genre and any game that gets a 84 is a decent game, far away from must have, but also far away from crap. You can't say game A with 84 is shitty, because it's part 20 of a series or you don't like the genre and game B with 84 is godlike, because it's new or you like the genre more.

True. You got me there. Nice parry. GG. Host of embers destroyed.

Ar¢tos

Reviews are overrated and scores meaningless nowadays. This new trend of only games 90+ being worthy is bad for everyone. I had more fun with some games with MC between 50-70 than with some between 80-90.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I wonder if we will remember it as the PS4's swan song, or if it will get overshadowed by TLOU2.

TLOU2 is way too divisive. I imagine it'd be hard for people to really hate GoT in the same manner. GoT will be a far nicer reminder of the system, although frankly both are always going to be overshadowed by stuff like Bloodborne.

Tomeru

TLOU2 is way too divisive. I imagine it'd be hard for people to really hate GoT in the same manner. GoT will be a far nicer reminder of the system, although frankly both are always going to be overshadowed by stuff like Bloodborne.

Whats Bloodbourn?

Top Bottom