• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good stuff! Always worth skimming the middling reviews to see if they didn't rate it higher for the same reasons. In this case, seems to largely be true; people feel it's "yet another open world game", which isn't inherently a bad thing, it just feels overly familiar and a little derivative. But, if you're looking for a comfortable open world experience to see the PS4 off, there's nothing wrong with that.

Orpheum

Looks like an assassin creed rip off.

Maybe check it out when it hits the bargain bin.

To be honest. It's more Assassin's Creed than the recent (and upcoming) Assassin's Creed titles. Ubisoft just slaps the name on mediocre games to milk more money out of it.

On Topic: I predict a low 80's rating here. It's got some issues but it's still a very competent game. Looking forward to playing it

Last edited:
Yes because it’s impossibly hard to get a high rating from

va8Ru.gif

Rikkori

Looks solid but what I've seen from how the camera works & the low FOV, I know I'd just rage hard playing it lol. Gonna let it sleep like HZD, who knows, maybe one day...

drganon

Game is getting decent reviews. I imagine that while it wont be getting the high critical reception tlou2 got, its user reviews score will probably be higher.

GreyHorace

So the reviews are saying it's great with some flaws. The stealth sections are too simple because of the bad AI, and the side quests are largely forgettable. But the combat, open world, and the companion quests are all exemplary. And the story is apparently a serious affair with hardly any levity. Instead it opts for a more somber tone.

That's all I needed to hear. Looking forward to picking this up on Friday.

Boss Mog

I predicted 82-84 metacritic in the other thread with the more woke entities slamming it and sure enough you get shit like this from the guardian:

"Unlike Assassin’s Creed, which always uses its historical settings as stages for its own eccentric stories, Ghost of Tsushima sticks so closely to the tropes and storylines of classic samurai fiction that it sometimes forgets to have a personality of its own."

Which is pretty much code for "Sucker Punch didn't decide to rewrite history for diversity's sake so it sucks".

GreyHorace

I predicted 82-84 metacritic in the other thread with the more woke entities slamming it and sure enough you get shit like this from the guardian:

"Unlike Assassin’s Creed, which always uses its historical settings as stages for its own eccentric stories, Ghost of Tsushima sticks so closely to the tropes and storylines of classic samurai fiction that it sometimes forgets to have a personality of its own."

Which is pretty much code for "Sucker Punch didn't decide to rewrite history for diversity's sake so it sucks".

This is the same rag that calls Jordan Peterson a monster so I wouldn't trust their opinion on anything, let alone videogame reviews.

Fake

I love his reviews but avoided his TLOU2 review because I was disappointed he used a somewhat clickbait title. I wish I had. I'm getting this!

Me too. Even from the start I know this game don't beat TLOUS2 in the review score, but don't matter for me. He still getting a pretty damn reviews by far and will be probably have a better user score as well.

Will be glad to support Sony one last time on PS4.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've been a PlayStation only gamer for 4 generations.

Seeing people on message boards congratulating Sony/Sucker Punch for taking 6 years to produce a low 80s (it will drop) game is so bizarre.

Why do you seem set on shitting on peoples' parade..? Do you really think an 89 on Metacritic makes a game worth praising but an 81 doesn't? Shit, TLOU2 got a 94 and let's face it, it didn't deserve nearly that much. We all know the system is broken.

Just be happy the game is good, the score is artificial nonsense we guess for fun.

Stevivor: 7
In (very) short: like the initial entry in Assassin’s Creed, the franchise it unashamedly copies, Ghost of Tsushima is good but not great. I finished it to complete it, not because I was invested in the mixed bag that was presented.

I still want to play it, but this *really* makes me question that desire.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why do you seem set on shitting on peoples' parade..? Do you really think an 89 on Metacritic makes a game worth praising but an 81 doesn't? Shit, TLOU2 got a 94 and let's face it, it didn't deserve nearly that much. We all know the system is broken.

Just be happy the game is good, the score is artificial nonsense we guess for fun.

Cuz the parade is cringe.

No one here has even played the game. These congratulations posts are insane to me.

I get it when Cory Balrog congratulates Niel Druckmann but for fans to do it is just creepy.

JimiNutz

Banned
Great reviews in my opinion.

I haven't seen or read anything in the reviews that make me doubt my decision to pre load this so that I can play it day one.

I'm not surprised to hear that the enemy stealth AI isn't great but the combat itself sounds awesome so I think I'm gonna go primarily Samurai in my playthrough.
Weird that there isn't a new game + mode though....

noise36

So you're still willing to play the 'rip-off'? lol

Could never get into older assassins creed games, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is still in the plastic shrink wrap after grabbing it on sale.

Enjoyed HZD, TLOU2 and GOW , so if its more like those and less like a Ubisoft or EA (which is what it looks like in the videos) game it might be worth a shot.

This reviewer gave it 5/5 hehe

While I understand the comparisons, calling the game “Assassin’s Creed but in Japan” is doing it a bit of a disservice, in my opinion.

Yes, you will raid hideouts. Yes, you have a “listen mode” where you can see enemies behind walls and stealth kill them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom