• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon 3 developer Q&A+5 1/2 min. X360 footage

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The gameplay part of the footage is old but the character animation in the beginning is new to me...

http://www.gamebiz.com.au/e32005/GhostRecon3Presentation.wmv

On which platforms will Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3 be available?

Next-generation console from Microsoft, Xbox, PS2, GC, PC

When will the games Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3 be available?

The Xbox, PS2, GC and PC versions will be available for the 2005 holiday season, and the version for the next-generation console from Microsoft will be available for the machine's launch.

STORYLINE

What is the storyline?

Mexico D.F. (Districto Federal), Mexico: The Ghosts have been ordered to participate in a Joint Operation designed to capture Mexican military officials engaged in illegal technology sales to Columbian rebels.

The US President has joined the Canadian Prime Minister and the Mexican President in Mexico City to sign NAJSA (the North American Joint Security Agreement), a new policy designed to share the policing responsibilities along the borders of these three countries and control illegal immigration and the movement of drugs and terrorists in the hemisphere.

As a symbolic gesture a number of US military weapons and vehicles have been sold to the Mexican Government and are now situated at the Mexican Whitehouse - Chapultepec castle.

During the public signing of the document the three leaders are attacked by Mexican soldiers opposed to what they consider an unreasonable concentration of military power in civilian hands (and even worse, in politicians' hands).
The Ghosts, as the only US Special Forces on the ground, are ordered to meet up with Secret Service agents protecting the US President and ensure his safety until he is extracted. While the US president is on route to the Airport, the Ghosts secure the Mexican president. Thanks to the Ghosts actions, the Mexican President will "Green light" US intervention on Mexican soil in order to re-establish Democracy.

Unfortunately, the US president never reached the Airport and is now in enemy hands. The Ghosts must now hunt down his captors in a war-torn Mexico City and fight off a well-equipped Mexican force.

Where / when does it take place?

Mexico City 2013

Will newcomers to the franchise be able to understand the storyline?

Yes, the game design has been written to allow the player to develop with the game. The idea is to immediately immerse the player and let him pick up his pad and be part of the experience. The first mission puts you into character and allows you to familiarize yourself with the Cross Com system and how it will assist the gameplay. Basically you are given the chance to accustom yourself to the controls before all hell breaks loose!

Mexico is the set of this episode. How did you recreate the look and feel of the city?

We spent a number of months researching areas for the Ghosts to enter and to ensure the environment was as realistic as possible. The desert, Vietnam, Irak has been done over and over, so we went looking for Urban warfare with scope, hence Mexico. The traditional vision of Mexico might be of sombreros, cigars and donkeys, but Mexico City itself is enormous and has diverse locations within the city limits, allowing us to really explore Urban warfare. There are over 20 million people in Mexico City, and with its border being linked to the US it makes the threat more realistic.

How many levels and missions?

12 single player missions, with an average of 6 sub missions within each; 7-15 additional multiplayer levels.

Length of the game?

Single player - 20 hours.

CHARACTERS

Who do you embody?

Major Scott Mitchell, Leader of the Ghosts

Who are the Ghosts?

In an era when the United States is the only global superpower, the U.S. Army needs an elite group of soldiers who can be put in the field immediately, anywhere in the world. The point of the spear in every operation, U.S. Special Forces Group 5, First Battalion, D Company is an elite Green Beret unit made up of the best of the best. First into any conflict and last to retreat, they handle the missions that no one else can. Often inserted deep behind enemy lines, they strike swiftly and suddenly, and then vanish. They are the quiet professionals; they call themselves the "Ghosts".

Will the player be able to play different characters?

He or she will only take on the role of Major Mitchell.

Who are the main characters?

Major Scott Mitchell, Sergeant Joe Ramirez, General Keating, General Steve Martin, Blackhawk Co-Pilot Bud Aldridge, The President of the United States.

Who are the main enemies in this new opus?

General Luis Ontiveros, Carlos Ontiveros, Former US General James Munro

GAMEPLAY AND GAME DESIGN

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 2 shifted its game design from a 100% tactical shooter to a more action-based game in order to broaden the audience. Fans of the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® questioned this shift. What kind of game can we expect with Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3?

We are keeping the realism that the core fan base has loved since the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, but we are looking to give the game a huge boost with the help of next generation technology in terms of immersive gameplay. In terms of tactical gameplay, you now have intel from unmanned drones which you control, you can call in Apache Air strikes which will work in conjunction with your team. You order your team to move in on enemy positions. The vision of the Integrated Warfighter System is that you now have situational awareness on the battlefield near, mid and far range.

Can you give us some hints about the directions and decisions you took in the game design/gameplay in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3?

The biggest feature of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3 will be the Cross Com system: you will receive information, news reports, briefings, and interact with your troops on the ground, all while you are carrying out missions.

What is the game engine for the next-gen version?

YETI, a Ubisoft proprietary engine built especially for next-gen consoles

Can we expect any new gameplay features like new abilities for the Ghosts?

The "Cross-Com" communication device is the biggest new feature for the Ghosts. This device is powered by satellite technology and gives the ghosts full visibility and command of the battlefield.

What new weapons and devices are available to the player to execute the mission?

The Ghosts will be decked out with next-generation military technology. Their weapons, communication systems, and combat suit will feature an unprecedented level of technology for a military shooter.

How will the player be able to communicate and interact with his team?

See Cross Com

MODES

What kind of missions will there be? In SP and in MP?

Campaign (12 Missions): Solo & 2-Player Co-Op Split Screen

Campaign (12 Missions): 3 to 4 Player Co-Op Online

Quick Missions (replay each Campaign Mission with your own rule set): 1 to 4 Player Co-Op

Tutorial embedded in Game

Downloadable Solo/ Co-Op Maps

Can you give details on the various online features available?

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3 will expand on both Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 2 online & online features of other Clancy games bringing back what fans loved while offering new twists and innovations.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PLATFORMS

Are there going to be any differences among platforms in terms of features and exclusive content in terms of:

Gameplay:

PC gameplay will be altered to suit the PC audience. Tactical and strategic elements will be added to create an experience more similar to the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® PC title which garnered Game of the Year awards from IGN and PC Gamer.

Graphics:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3 will push each system to its graphical limits. Obviously, the next generation console from Microsoft and PC versions will feature the strongest graphical technology, but the current-gen versions will be at the height of the standards for their respective platforms.

Storyline:

All versions will have the same storyline.

Engine:

To optimize each version the most appropriate engine will be chosen for each platform. Next-generation console from Microsoft & PC will run on 2 different engines; Xbox and PS2 will use the same engine as the platforms are more similar.

Dude, they showed TONS of stuff that wasn't in the trailers. Fucking awesome! And it looks like all the footage we've been seeing was realtime since the additional stuff all looked gameplay, and looked just like the older trailer.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Shogmaster said:
Dude, they showed TONS of stuff that wasn't in the trailers. Fucking awesome! And it looks like all the footage we've been seeing was realtime since the additional stuff all looked gameplay, and looked just like the older trailer.
Actually the game looks much better than the official trailer.

---------
old post
---------

Excuse me for bumping this old thread, but I was looking at Blimblim's video and I found that the actual gameplay footage is quite nicer than the official trailer. Take a look at the sunlight and how it passes through the breaches casting realistic shadows over the floor and characters.

Up: Actual gameplay screengrabs
Down: Captures from the official trailer

gr3_1.jpg

gr3_2.jpg

gr3_3.jpg

Yeah, I am bored nerd.

This is the killer App for me.

4 player co-op will rock.

I just wish they had some sort of med kits and stuff. Its really annoying to restarst each time one of your teamates gets shot in 4 player co-op. Its either restarting or make them wait till mission is over.

Socreges

Banned
That was disappointing. I've seen all of that gameplay footage before. But not with muscle-head's running commentary! "Boom!"... oh, he's earning alright.

Socreges said:
That was disappointing. I've seen all of that gameplay footage before. But not with muscle-head's running commentary! "Boom!"... oh, he's earning alright.

Do you think Kevin P stopped by his booth to reminisce about their old Arena days of G4?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Shogmaster said:
Do you think Kevin P stopped by his booth to reminisce about their old Arena days of G4?

*smacks forhead*

I KNEW I saw that guy somewhere before??

He and Kevin were the hosts of Arena!!!

Any1

This Christmas is going break me. There are simply too many good games coming out for the 360's launch. There are actually atound 7 or 8 titles that i want. The games along with the 360 comes to around $800. So i'm gonna have to scale that back to around 4 or 5 games.

Does anyone know if Madden will be available for launch?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Funky Papa said:
Actually the game looks much better than the official trailer.

---------
old post
---------

Excuse me for bumping this old thread, but I was looking at Blimblim's video and I found that the actual gameplay footage is quite nicer than the official trailer. Take a look at the sunlight and how it passes through the breaches casting realistic shadows over the floor and characters.

Up: Actual gameplay screengrabs
Down: Captures from the official trailer

gr3_1.jpg

gr3_2.jpg

gr3_3.jpg

Yeah, I am bored nerd.

wow, that is quite an improvement. looks like the environments may be sporting somesort of unified lighting system now, or at least now its faked (see shadows on tree trunks and barriers). and its now confirmed for launch, hot. this and pgr3 have me entirely sold on the system alone :)

shpankey

not an idiot
looks awesome. the only thing that concerns me is the floaty aiming reticule. that can break a game for me (see the first two Timesplitters).

Top Bottom