• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

thanks guys.

1) the spotlight varies greatly in strength depending on the area. sometimes it's invisible or nearly invisible.

2) I am pretty annoyed with the foot sounds lately.. I plan to overhaul that. among other things.
Good. Because to be honest, the foot sounds were the only thing I didn't like. I know this sounds silly to say, but it was kind of distracting.

Thanks for responding!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You and I greatly dislike each other but your game looks good. Looking forward to playing it. One more month.

You and I greatly dislike each other but your game looks good. Looking forward to playing it. One more month.
I don't think anyone dislikes you, only your views on Kickstarter and it being a 'begging' system. Why would you 'greatly dislike' someone over that anyway?

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think anyone dislikes you, only your views on Kickstarter and it being a 'begging' system. Why would you 'greatly dislike' someone over that anyway?

I'm sitting here wondering who he is... Honestly. I can't remember. But I don't think I hate him. :D

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've decided I don't like the running animation. It looks so stiff.

Petty people.

Bboy AJ

It's okay, I still don't hate you. You'll have to make a better reason than that. :)
It's OK, brother. I loathe KS but I don't hate the games. Voted for it on Greenlight. I'll day one it.

I just wanted to go to the pa*BOOM*

I gotta say above borrowing elements from Metroid and Dark Souls, your game honestly looks like it's a beast of its own. In it's own unique way.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
you don't actually have to...

Glad to hear that! From what I saw in the video, it looked like it was a section with choices, in this case violent or non-violent.

Oh and the video was mesmerizing. I couldn't believe it when it ended.

Bboy AJ

Is this game coming out this month?

CTLance

Relevant Kickstarter update with delay announcement.

Also secret spinjump and gel bomb. And things that wear multiple hats. Jobbs playing too much TF2, confirmed.

Personally: I don't mind this smallish delay. Sucks if you wanted/needed the game to come out this month, yes, but I can deal.

CTLance brand obvious reason:
Mario Kart 8 comes out this month. It's obvious Jobbs didn't want to see his precious Ghost Song crushed by almighty Nintendo. It all makes sense!

Bboy AJ

I think it's probably time to talk a bit about release date. This seems to be the elephant in the room, since the Kickstarter states May 2014.

The first thing to understand about that date is it was set back around July of last year, before the Kickstarter even launched, simply because in the project submission you have no choice but to estimate a delivery date. At that time, I really had no way of knowing, and it was a pretty wild guess. I've gone through a few phases and growing pains since then, and while things are going smoothly now, I had no way of knowing last summer what all I'd face.
What a joke. Clearly this guy knew months ago he wouldn't make the May release date. So instead of setting expectations accordingly, he announces the delay with two weeks left in May. I have no issues with a delay. Better late than crap. But to string your audience along, delaying the inevitable is absurd. None of these guys give a shit about the people who funded them.

What a joke. Clearly this guy knew months ago he wouldn't make the May release date. So instead of setting expectations accordingly, he announces the delay with two weeks left in May. I have no issues with a delay. Better late than crap. But to string your audience along, delaying the inevitable is absurd. None of these guys give a shit about the people who funded them.

Oh boy...

I for one just realized the estimated release date was May, because of the last update. We also just got a first glance at the gameplay, so I wonder how could anyone expect it to be released in the next 2 weeks.

I don't think anyone expected a May release. And in Kickstarter it states "Estimated delivery", not that it's set in stone. You're reaching. Like always.

In fact, I'm surprised the new date is in 2014, I was expecting January 2015 or something closer to that.

And you have to remember, we (not including you) helped fund the game, we didn't just 'pre-order' it.

UrbanRats

Oh boy...

I for one just realized the estimated release date was May, because of the last update.
We also just got a first glance at the gameplay, so I wonder how could anyone expect it to be released in the next 2 weeks.

This, and never assumed as much, tbh.. always thought of 2015 at the earliest.

I'm fine with the delay, just release a good, well polished product.

Jobbs

Banned

You realize I can hear you, right? Why do you have it out for me?

I'm just curious what it is you think is going on. Do you really think I'm sitting here, scheming, trying to think of ways to screw everyone over by not formally talking about the date until later than you'd like? Like, what do you think I'm doing? What do I have to gain by, as you put it, stringing everyone along? Have you thought about your words before saying them? I haven't kept secret when I think the game will be done. I've talked about it on twitter, in podcasts, I even put in a late 2014 date on the humble listing over a month ago.

The reason I didn't post a formal update on Kickstarter sooner is because the May 2014 date was punched in so long ago, last July, (because Kickstarter requires you to put in an estimated date) that it sort of slipped my mind. Someone brought it to my attention so I posted an update.

So I forgot the original release date estimate from last summer -- My bad. I'm very sorry to have hurt you.

Demy

Just stumbled upon this thread and my hype went from zero to infinity. Subbing and waiting anxiously for the release.

Is Jobbs the only GAFer were praising for the creation of Ghost Song? Still reading through the thread pages.

LaneDS

In the "take however long you want" camp. Will be looking forward to the finished product regardless of when it arrives.

desu

When I back something at Kickstarter I never even bother to check the date, simply because 99% of the projects won't make it until that deadline anyway.

Keep it up Jobbs!

Nohar

Estimated release dates are very, very tricky. On the one hand, people pledging want to know when the game will be released. On the other hand, I don't think a single Kickstarter project (or any game still in alpha development) managed to state accurately the release date of it. Development is a long and difficult process, full of surprises, and trying to guess when the game will be ready is just downright impossible. A game in development never was released before the estimated released date. It's a futile exercice, really.

Blizzard is probably one of the only developper which gets it right: "We'll release it when it's ready" (I've been quite disappointed in Blizzard lately, but at least I think they have the best approach about release dates).

It is best to avoid making promises altogether, because if you begin to make some but can't keep them, and do it multiple times, people will feel betrayed, and slowly but surely lose interest, because they will feel the developper in question can't be trusted (this apply for pretty much every situation, in fact).

So, I'll be in the "Take however long you want" camp. Just keep us informed every once in a while about the status of your game please (so far, I would say you did a good job on that part).

You realize I can hear you, right? Why do you have it out for me?

I'm just curious what it is you think is going on. Do you really think I'm sitting here, scheming, trying to think of ways to screw everyone over by not formally talking about the date until later than you'd like? Like, what do you think I'm doing? What do I have to gain by, as you put it, stringing everyone along? Have you thought about your words before saying them? I haven't kept secret when I think the game will be done. I've talked about it on twitter, in podcasts, I even put in a late 2014 date on the humble listing over a month ago.

The reason I didn't post a formal update on Kickstarter sooner is because the May 2014 date was punched in so long ago, last July, (because Kickstarter requires you to put in an estimated date) that it sort of slipped my mind. Someone brought it to my attention so I posted an update.

So I forgot the original release date estimate from last summer -- My bad. I'm very sorry to have hurt you.

Don't worry about him Jobbs, all of us are really in support of you and Ghost Song, and I'm sure the more rational among us understand the realities of developing a game and how long that can take. It's clear this is a huge passion project, and nobody with any sense believes you're trying to screw Kickstarter backers over.

CTLance

Holy crap what'd I mi- ... Oh.

So not worth it to get worked up about that post, Jobbs. You do your thing, make the best game you can, and as long as we don't catch you outside your indie cave everything's gonna be OK. ;)

Fireblend

Banned
Just saw the latest update about the zoomed-out view.

Hype increased tenfold. Holy shit is it looking good. I suddenly forgot no Metroid was announced this E3, who needs it when we've got Ghost Song!

Keep it up Jobbs. Superb job.

CTLance

Yeah, the zoomed out camera is great. Looking back at the mad-butler-bot footage the new setup should make that fight more manageable since mad butler bot won't be offscreen as often. Getting shot by an enemy hiding off-screen isn't exactly great, and now this won't happen (quite as often(?)). Wish I had noticed that before. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

Good going, Jobbs.

Jobbs

Banned
Just saw the latest update about the zoomed-out view.

Hype increased tenfold. Holy shit is it looking good. I suddenly forgot no Metroid was announced this E3, who needs it when we've got Ghost Song!

Keep it up Jobbs. Superb job.

This looks rad. Wish there was a psn version, but I'd pay it on my laptop.

Thanks everyone. :)

Yeah, the zoomed out camera is great. Looking back at the mad-butler-bot footage the new setup should make that fight more manageable since mad butler bot won't be offscreen as often. Getting shot by an enemy hiding off-screen isn't exactly great, and now this won't happen (quite as often(?)). Wish I had noticed that before. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

Good going, Jobbs.

Yeah, that's true, here's what that fight looks like on the new orientation:

http://gfycat.com/LikableDisastrousChupacabra

UrbanRats

Good going, Jobbs.

Sound cues are all you need, dawg.

Bit-Bit

Just wanted to say that months after backing this kickstarter, I'm still as excited as the day I learned about this game.

Not trying to rush you Jobbs, take as long as you need. But dammit, I want to play this game so bad.

CTLance

Yay, an upd... huh.
KNpLPyf.gif

I vote we stuff Bit-Bit in a sack and mail him/her to Jobbs for use as lowly worker drone and/or emergency ration. Bumping this thread without freshly printed Jobbs-brand news is just plain evil. :´(

Jobbs

Banned
Just wanted to say that months after backing this kickstarter, I'm still as excited as the day I learned about this game.

Not trying to rush you Jobbs, take as long as you need. But dammit, I want to play this game so bad.

Yay, an upd... huh.
KNpLPyf.gif

I vote we stuff Bit-Bit in a sack and mail him/her to Jobbs for use as lowly worker drone and/or emergency ration. Bumping this thread without freshly printed Jobbs-brand news is just plain evil. :´(

thanks guys :)

this is an enemy I recently implemented, you might consider him a mini boss.

(as with *anything* there's some spoilers here about stuff in the game)

here's his grand entrance I posted in the indy thread:

http://gfycat.com/DisfiguredMilkyFlamingo

he has a few things he does. he runs around, jumps a lot, shoots spines at you, and when he's low on health he'll start doing moves like this:

http://gfycat.com/ValuableGiantArmadillo

also, I know I've neglected this thread a bit, so if you missed it I made some 60 fps webms a while ago. I hope to do my next full video in 60 fps.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/gsongwebm1.webm
http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/gsongwebm2.webm

CTLance

Mmmmmh, yeeeees,

that parallax background, my personal Ambrosia.
that chromatic aberration lookalike filter, my old nemesis.

...ssssssay, Jobbs, how much time (and shots) have you roughly allotted per normal gunfodder enemy? Watching those fights so far it appears that a considerable amount of hits is required to dispatch even the lowliest Zombie. Is that part of a demo system, or are the fights showcased in your movie snippets roughly what you envision for the final release?

Assuming normal grunts, standard difficulty level, early to mid game (meaning no special/veteran/elite enemy variations and no fancy mix-and-match weapon systems), obviously.

Sorry if that's an odd question, I'm just curious how much of a time investment exploration or map traversal will be for me, since I tend to be fairly trigger-happy and usually fight my way through rather than evade enemies.

Jobbs

Banned
it depends on the enemy and what gun you're using. it also depends on your level. in those video examples I am on a level 1 character (which is currently indicated by the number in the top left corner). increase in levels increases your stats.

it's also worth noting that, unlike metroid and most other sidescrollers, most enemies do not respawn just because you left the room and came back.

all that said, values are always being tweaked.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Ghost Song continues to look extremely impressive. I can't wait to play it, Jobbs.

CTLance

Thanks for the fast answer, Jobbs. The (mostly) no respawning bit sounds awesome for my "genocidal" tendencies.

Oh, also thanks for the videos and gifs while we're at it. Excellent stuff, as always. I really enjoy these updates.

Top Bottom