• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only very negative review I've seen so far is the Hollywood Reporter (so I imagine that'll be the one that goes viral on Reddit) but most of the reviews seem to be "It's fine. I don't know why anybody made a big deal about this."

213372bu

Banned
Variety
All reboots are haunted by the specter of the movie that inspired them, but Sony’s new gender-swapped “Ghostbusters” — which substitutes comediennes Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones for the previously all-male paranormal exterminator squad — suffers from a disappointingly strong case of déjà vu. While both funnier and scarier than Ivan Reitman’s 1984 original, this otherwise over-familiar remake from “Bridesmaids” director Paul Feig doesn’t do nearly enough to innovate on what has come before, even going so far as to conjure most of the earlier film’s cast (including Slimer and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man) in cameos that undercut the new film’s chemistry.

In a cartoonishly feeble-minded plot twist that suggests Feig might be better suited to be directing the new “Scooby-Doo” reboot, a disgruntled white guy (Neil Casey), has been inviting noxious visitors from the spirit world to cross over for his own nefarious purposes.
http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/ghostbusters-review-melissa-mccarthy-1201810318/

Generally negative aside from the performance by the actors again, but is quoted as being funnier and scarier than the original.

These reviews are written like messes this time around.

Blader

My expectation going in is that Kate McKinnon will be the strongest part of the movie and Feig will be the weakest.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ah, there it is:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/10/ghostbusters-review-bad-news-for-the-ghostbros

With a better script this new version of Ghostbusters could have given the original a run for its money; that 1984 classic was the result of a lot of elements coming together in just the right way, and this version has so many of those elements - a great cast, a true affection for the supernatural, a varied comedic tone - but it just blows it on the story.

Still, the pieces are in place. The movie, for the most part, works. It’s easily one of the funniest comedies of the year, and I loved hanging out with these characters (which is such a huge part of the success of the 84 movie). Even though it’s stuck having to wink and nod at the original (the cameos, by the way, are fine. Bill Murray’s is, predictably, the best. Harold Ramis’ is touching), this film manages to carve out its own space, and I want to see Feig and his cast return to continue exploring it and expanding it. And hell, their Ghostbusters II HAS TO be better than the original Ghostbusters II.

Jarmel

Banned
My expectation going in is that Kate McKinnon will be the strongest part of the movie and Feig will be the weakest.

What I've been getting from the reviews is that Feig was the one who was kinda shit. The actors/actresses all apparently did their jobs but the direction and writing weren't up to par.

Funny how a male looks to be the weak link in this.

I think it's hilarious that people have been whining forever that this isn't loyal at all to the originals and the main complaint I'm seeing in reviews is that it's too loyal to the originals.

people hate on faraci bc of his CBM fanboy schtick but he's actually a good writer

I agree with his opinions fairly often. If he just cut down on his obvious biases people would respect him

What I want to know is if it's typical Feig humor or more in line with the original, because I absolutely detest his brand of humor.

What about me

image.php

Wagram

Doesn't seem to be the colossal failure that many people expected. Sounds better than 2 at least.

I think it's hilarious that people have been whining forever that this isn't loyal at all to the originals and the main complaint I'm seeing in reviews is that it's too loyal to the originals.

Hey, it worked for Star Wars. It damn near copies that script.

These reviews, even the positive ones don't sound like a movie I'll enjoy honestly. I'll definitely give it a watch when it hits netflix but ehhh I didn't want a Paul Feig comedy here. Which is admittedly a stupid expectation to have after they announced the director and cast.

As a standalone Hollywood action style comedy it sounds like a blast. As a sequel to Ghostbusters tonally & stylistically it sounds a bit divisive.

Sounds like I should have fun watching it, though part of me will wish the comedy and action was dialed down a pinch. Either way, glad it's not a giant mess like the trailers and that theme song.

Positive reviews go along the lines of, "It's entertaining, if average summer movie."

Negative reviews go all in, yeesh.

Not expecting this to be good when all said and done.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I will not let this Ghostbusters 2 slander stand!

br0ytMu.gif

The two films have nothing to do with one another. I don't understand

It's so that when people read their thought on it, they aren't labelled a crying fanboy or a misogynist outright. A neutral ground review.

B33

Banned
People hate on Devin Faraci because they don't like his opinions and they dislike how he engages with virulent fans.

What was so bad about ghostbusters 2?

It's not terrible, but it's one of the most transparent "this film only exists because the studio really wanted a sequel, not because anyone involved had any great story ideas for one" sequels ever made. The creative exhaustion is apparent (see: the absurd lengths the script goes to to put the leads back more or less where they were at the beginning of the first film).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom