• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostwire: Tokyo Achieves 6 Million Players Worldwide

Draugoth

Gold Member
Bethesda and Tango Gameworks have announced that their narrative-driven action adventure, Ghostwire: Tokyo, has achieved over six million players worldwide.

It’s worth emphasizing that this does not mean sales since Game Pass and whatnot are factored in here.

A new illustration was shared to commemorate this achieved feat:

Skifi28

The games has been available in all renting services. Getting a few million people to click on a button and try it for a few minutes is not exactly an achievement for a AAA release. I'm not talking about this game in particular as I enjoyed it, but these sort of announcements are always funny to me.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The games has been available in all renting services. Getting a few million people to click on a button and try it for a few minutes is not exactly an achievement for a AAA release. I'm not talking about this game in particular as I enjoyed it, but these sort of announcements are always funny to me.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Quite enjoyed my time with it. Played on PS+ back in April and liked it well enough that I decided in picking up the PS5 physical deluxe edition as well. So I guess I count two times for this number since I have two separate licenses for this game? 🤔

Last edited:

Roberts

I loved my time in Shibuya many years ago so I was obviously going to play this one. It's not a masterpiece, but a pretty fun game with a good story, some adequate side missions and tons of atmosphere. That said, it is not exactly a game that everybody would enjoy so 6 millions is not all that bad.

"Players" only mean something when it's a free to play game, didn't Mortal Shell come out last week with their 10 million player count but only like 1 million in sales? It's cool that people are at least checking the game out but this trend of equating players for sales is ridiculous.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I just couldn’t get into this. The combat just wasn’t my thing, and I felt like I was just moving around to the map markers to rinse/repeat the same stuff. Sure, that’s almost every open world game, but the loop was just not exciting.

There’s also nothing creepy about headless Japanese businessmen and little girls.

Edit: On a side note how does this player count compare to Evil Within? If it’s gone down, then that’s not good that fewer people are checking your game out.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Isn't this on ps plus and probably gamepass?

Don't stoop to MS level metrics they don't impress anybody.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It sold shit. Same numbers on steam as forspoken.
it is a massive flop outside of sub services sadly, which I hate to see

Tried it on PS+ for 5 minutes to check out the performance modes (each of them are horrible) and i will never play it. Wohoooo, did my part!

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m glad this studio tried new things with this and hi fi rush, but all I ever wanted was another evil within. Evil within 1 remains my favorite survival horror game and even though 2 was a stinker in comparison I still want a third one to try to wrap up the story here.

This game I tried to get into on 3 or 4 separate occasions and it’s visually cool, with a neat combat system , but the rest is bland and boring.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’m glad this studio tried new things with this and hi fi rush, but all I ever wanted was another evil within. Evil within 1 remains my favorite survival horror game and even though 2 was a stinker in comparison I still want a third one to try to wrap up the story here.

This game I tried to get into on 3 or 4 separate occasions and it’s visually cool, with a neat combat system , but the rest is bland and boring.
I disliked 1 but 2 is one of my favs. Such a good game

Rockondevil

It’s a shame that it’s had such low numbers considering how long it’s been out and how easy it’s been to play on various platforms.

The game itself is actually quite fun and I was pleasantly surprised.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The concept is cool, but gameplay and combat can go F itself. Clearly they've learned the lesson with Hi Fi Rush which is amazing and one of the best games of this year.

Aces High

Got it through PS Plus.

Played it for 15 minutes amd uninstalled it.

One of the worst games I've played in decades.

The controls are abysmal. How can an executive with intelligence above troglodyte-level think that releasing a game with such awful controls is a good idea? They put more money into marketing than into fixing their game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Oh I don't know, saying how many people have played the game is pretty much a fucking corner stone of how a game is going.
It's not a useful metric for most games. If it was, then you would see more publishers and developers use it for most of their games.

Got the game from PS+ and finished it.
I've been in Japan and Tokyo twice in my life and the game really make me feel like I was there once again.

The gameplay loop and combat are pretty repetitive and get boring.

MacReady13

The new benchmark for games that fail to sell- just announce how many players have played their game! Playing it for 10 minutes in a rental service means sweet fuck all. If they’ve had so many players play the game, I’m sure we will be getting a sequel soon, yeah?!?

yazenov

This game is garbage. Played for 2 hours and couldn't continue playing it since it was so repetitious. It is not worth your time even though it's on a rental service.

And LOL at the gibberish metrics. Just give us a breakdown of how many units it sold and how many people downloaded it on the rental service.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Next up:

Our game was googled over 10 million times! Thanks to all potential customers out there, you are the reason we do what we do 👍

Drizzlehell

Banned
I tried giving this a shot a couple of times but I only made it about 2-3 hours in. Something about this game just didn't click for me. I like the setting because it was pretty unique for a video game, but the way you control your character just doesn't feel right, the combat gets repetitive really fast, and I just didn't care about doing all the bullshit collect-a-thons.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Got the game from PS+ and finished it.
I've been in Japan and Tokyo twice in my life and the game really make me feel like I was there once again.

The gameplay loop and combat are pretty repetitive and get boring.

The Ubisoft style map vomit was my biggest issue with the game. A bit more focused game with less busy-work would have made it more fun.

I appreciate that they added a very good free quest with the Spiders update (the whole school thing), good on them.

Top Bottom