• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal Gear Rising came to PC 11 months after consoles
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow came to PC 3 years after consoles
Ground Zeroes came to PC 10 months after consoles.

MGSV is a concurrent release with consoles

I'd love it to be a great experience, but the last few years have made me look for warning signs when it comes to PC gaming, and there are a few red flags for MGSV IMO.

So you ignored Lords of Shadows 2 then

Anjin M

So what was the point of having that 14 year old fight Snake in her underwear ?

http://i.imgur.com/DFoLeOJ.png

I might not have said it quite that way, but that's the right answer.

edit://

What red flags?

This. Feeling echoes of all recent PC games are fucked type comments.

Wariness is never unwarranted. I don't buy most games day one, PC or console, until someone else has told me it's safe. I've been bitten enough times to have learned better by now.

Dragon

Banned
Bad AAA ports are extremely rare. Major tunnel vision on a lot of people's parts.

F1 2015
Batman Arkham Asylum
Mortal Kombat X
Assassin's Creed Unity
The Evil Within
Dead Rising 3

I mean...I'm going to say you're wrong. Granted Unity was a mess pretty much everywhere but those are just off the top of my head.

F1 2015
Batman Arkham Asylum
Mortal Kombat X
Assassin's Creed Unity
The Evil Within
Dead Rising 3

I mean...I'm going to say you're wrong. Granted Unity was a mess pretty much everywhere but those are just off the top of my head.

Batman Arkham Knight
Mortal Kombat X

both were bad WB cheap port jobs

Assassin's Creed Unity

busted everywhere
The Evil Within

people complained that it wouldn't hit 60 fps. It was patched to perform better soon after launch. Even at its worse, though, it was still better than the console versions

Dead Rising 3

Same as TEW. Didnt run super great but performed better than the console version.

tuxfool

Banned
F1 2015
Batman Arkham Asylum
Mortal Kombat X
Assassin's Creed Unity
The Evil Within
Dead Rising 3

DR3 was a shit port but it ran absolutely fine. The evil within was shit everywhere, but was fine too.

I'll give you MKX, and I don't know what was wrong with F1 2015.

What red flags?

Japanese developers on PC have been troublesome historically
Pro Evolution (a Fox Engine game) has been having issues on PC for a fewyears now
Every time Konami have got a PC release right they waited. They are not waiting with MGS V
Konami have a history of picking horrible studios to work on ports. I am guessing the PC version is not a wholly internal endeavor,
Review copies of the game seem to be exclusively PS4 right now

Basically, if I was investing money in the PC version, I would not throw money at it until a few people have there hands on it ahead of me. I Would do EXACTLY the same for the upcoming Mad Max game. In fact, I would do the same for all PC games going forward until the industry shows it they are respecting the platform and its users,

F1 2015
Batman Arkham Asylum
Mortal Kombat X
Assassin's Creed Unity
The Evil Within
Dead Rising 3

Unity ran extremely well on PCs relative to consoles. It's also the most technically impressive game to be released at this point.

Dead Rising 3 and the Evil Within ran much better than the console versions while looking much better as well. There were issues with both when you went above 30 FPS but they weren't broken and they were far superior options.

The Evil Within is now perfectly playable at 60 FPS as well.

And Mortal Kombat was never broken for a lot of people outside of the busted launch because of the game being the first(and only) title to feature steam's tiered download system. The biggest problem is they kept pushing 15 GB patches and reverting them time and time again.

Dragon

Banned
Japanese developers on PC have been troublesome historically
Pro Evolution (a Fox Engine game) has been having issues on PC for a fewyears now
Every time Konami have got a PC release right they waited. They are not waiting with MGS V
Konami have a history of picking horrible studios to work on ports. I am guessing the PC version is not a wholly internal endeavor,
Review copies of the game seem to be exclusively PS4 right now

Basically, if I was investing money in the PC version, I would not throw money at it until a few people have there hands on it ahead of me. I Would do EXACTLY the same for the upcoming Mad Max game. In fact, I would do the same for all PC games going forward until the industry shows it they are respecting the platform and its users,

You can kinda apply this level of skepticism to preordering any game on any platform, not just PC specifically.

Dragon

Banned
Unity ran extremely well on PCs relative to consoles.

Dead Rising 3 and the Evil Within ran much better than the console versions while looking much better as well. There were issues with both when you went above 30 FPS but they weren't broken and they were far superior options.

The Evil Within is now perfectly playable at 60 FPS as well.

I mean we should be talking about the launch, because that's what we're talking about in regards to preordering the game...DR3 from what I remember was not good at launch and Unity was not either and had some seriously weird bugs.

I do agree that Japanese developers seem to still struggle compared to their American counterparts on providing options. (I guess we can't blame FFXIII for having 720p cutscenes because of how the game was made but yeah shitty).

Pre-ordering is for suckers.

You can get some seriously good deals with GMG though on PC. I mean there are games I'm going to preorder no matter what, like Persona 5. I just think the games you MIGHT be interested in are the ones that you should be skeptical about!

I mean we should be talking about the launch, because that's what we're talking about in regards to preordering the game...DR3 from what I remember was not good at launch and Unity was not either and had some seriously weird bugs.

I do agree that Japanese developers seem to still struggle compared to their American counterparts on providing options. (I guess we can't blame FFXIII for having 720p cutscenes because of how the game was made but yeah shitty).
The Evil Within at launch was by far the best version of the game and not broken in any way. There were optimization issues with 60 FPS, but if you wanted to play the game it was leagues above any of the console versions. Unity had some weird bugs but the performance was perfectly acceptable for the level of visuals on display. Dead Rising 3 has major issues with running at 60 FPS but again, it's miles above the Xbox One version and perfectly playable.

Broken gets thrown around far too easily.

You can kinda apply this level of skepticism to preordering any game on any platform, not just PC specifically.

That's true. I never pre order - especially not digitally. This whole conversation started due to a comment that people were buying keys for MGSV on eBay. Those keys are non refundable (as far as I know). I feel people who buy a game like this PC buy on that platform expecting to get the best version. However, there is now years of history of them having to deal with various issues in hopes they finally get to play the game at the quality there were expecting.

If I was buying this on PC, I would wait until Sept 2nd at least - just in case. I would do so for any game nowaday. If I was to pre order due to a deal, there would have to be a 100% reliable refund policy in place.

The Pro Evolution ports run well, the problem is they don't have all of the visual upgrades of the next gen versions. Silly excuse of "Oh, most of our players couldn't handle them" as if scalability doesn't exist. It's not a case of a bad port, it's a very intentional but misguided decision that makes them avoidable for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom