• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Huntsman spider found in Scottish shipping container

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question: Can spiders breed with other different species of spiders? If there was only one Huntsman would there really be any danger of it getting loose and creating some sort of cross-breed of Huntsman?

If there was a box full of them I'd be more worried about them breeding and spreading into a new country where they don't exist.

Elandyll

Banned
I remember seeing a report about an Australian spider that could even survive for an extended period of time under water, which made it a huge problem in pools where it would fall in, and attack the unsuspecting swimmer who would happen to put a foot too close.
Probably the Funnel one as well (I remember seeing in the same report a video of a spider trying to attack a vacuum cleaner.. super agressive fucker).

After seeing that report, I was like "yep, looks like I'm never visiting Australia all right".

Miles X

Ch Insp Henderson added: "Because it's a Huntsman it's not native to this country so we can't release the spider anywhere in Scotland.

Well thank FUCK for that, not that it'd survive ... but still.

Toxi

Banned
The Huntsman is non-venomous and will always run away from a human.
Huntsmen are venomous, their venom just isn't a big deal to us humans. Almost all spiders are venomous, but the vast majority are harmless.

The Funnel Web is one of the deadliest spiders in the world (it's venom only affects humans too) and it is highly aggressive so it will chase you down. It also bites repeatedly. Anti-venom is mandatory if bit and it is in short supply.
Funnel web spiders use their venom to catch prey, like most spiders. They are more aggressive than most spiders, but they're not gonna "chase you down", they just bite with less provocation.

Since Australia got anti-venin, there hasn't been a single recorded death from a funnel web bite.

CryptiK

Guys these are house spiders. You keep them in Australia, you do not kill them. They eat all the flys and mosquitos. And they are docile as fuck.

Kurtofan

Huntsman spiders are scary looking but pretty harmless.

The Sydney Funnel Web spider however is pure nightmare fuel

SGCbMLY.gif

the old vulva mouth trick, i won't be fooled
again

Toxi

Banned
Stupid question: Can spiders breed with other different species of spiders? If there was only one Huntsman would there really be any danger of it getting loose and creating some sort of cross-breed of Huntsman?
Probably some can (like some other species), but spider species are often distinguished by distinct genitalia structures that provide a physical barrier to cross-breeding.

Title should read:

'Perfectly normal sized spider gets caught up in post-brexit immigration scandal while on European holiday.'

I did customer service for a popular UK supermarket chain many years ago and the amount of incidents involving bananas and other fruits/produce from abroad featuring insects and spiders of a tropical variety were fairly common.

One time a woman got in touch to tell us about finding a spider nest of some sort on her bananas, she didn't know it was a spider's nest until she tried to get it off and hundreds of baby spiders poured out.

jelly

Seem them walking across the street in Australia. It's a shock but you kinda get used it but huge creepy things out the corner of your eye is very freaky.

Diancecht

I did customer service for a popular UK supermarket chain many years ago and the amount of incidents involving bananas and other fruits/produce from abroad featuring insects and spiders of a tropical variety were fairly common.

One time a woman got in touch to tell us about finding a spider nest of some sort on her bananas, she didn't know it was a spider's nest until she tried to get it off and hundreds of baby spiders poured out.

giphy.gif

Carbonox

Brexit wasn't enough. We need to put borders around our houses and leave the UK altogether.

someone throws a hunstman over the border in to your home, WHAT THEN PUNK

So are Australians just chilling in houses full of bugs or what

As an Australian, yeah I see a huntsman around the house every now and again. Maybe once every week or so. They're pretty chill tbh.

Jesus Christ at that Sydney Funnel spider.

What is the point of Australia?

To have fun. I don't live near where you'd encounter the Sydney funnel web, but I've had to deal with pretty dangerous animals in my backyard anyway.

Huntsman spiders are bros. I actually felt bad when I accidentally killed a bunch of baby ones with my face once.
After the screaming stopped, anyway.

Paz

Funnel Web spiders are true nightmare fuel, hyper aggressive and very deadly.

Huntsman spiders are chill little dudes who kill other pests, I still don't like having them around though cos they are massive and I'm a bit phobic, though having lived in Australia for 30 years I've had to confront that fear many times.

offshore

I love the cultural divide with spiders: we've got Aussies saying "oh these things are totally cool".... they are not cool! :p Maybe I need to move to Australia to try to unders-

-nah, I don't need to do that...

marrec

Banned
Like, now I can't think about huntsman spiders without thinking about them chilling around a tiny spider fire strumming a tiny spider guitar singing about chill spider topics.

Normally dudes who bring guitars to parties are dicks, but huntsman spiders get a pass cause they're super chill and aren't dicks about their spider guitars.

takriel

What a silly thing to imply a spider would be using a computer! Only giant fleshy human people can use computers! I can guarantee we are all trustworthy human people who only wish to help other human people friends!

Not gonna give you the satisfaction of an avatar quote, you filthy spider!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Giant huntsman spiders are large and fast but not aggressive. They will run away from you and if you do catch them, they're pretty chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r011GRdai8Q

Everyone calm the fuck down.

No. No. No.

I don't give a FUCK what lighthearted song you put behind that shit. That is creepy as shit. Who the fuck wants that crawling all over their arm and THEIR FACE ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom